Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Spamtron7000 posted:

My point was just that all the options are expensive in So Cal, no matter what you choose.

I'm actually surprised at how cheap that is. I live a much lower cost of living area than La-La land, and I figured a full-time legitimate nanny arrangement would cost more like $750 a week.

Advent Horizon posted:

How badly should I worry about pissing off the sellers with 'we plan to remove that' comments?

Why are you even talking to the sellers at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

SlapActionJackson posted:

Why are you even talking to the sellers at all?

Yeah anything you might want to say can either not be said at all, or can be said much better by your realtor.

That's what they're for - to act as an intermediary between the two parties. You shouldn't be directly talking to the sellers at all!

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

This 'inspection' is basically just a learn-about-the-systems field trip.mthe househas already been inspected and signed off, we're only having another one done to make sure that nothing has changed and to show us how stuff works.

This likely the only time we'll meet the sellers.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Advent Horizon posted:

This turned negative fast, how about we change the subject?

We've got our inspection scheduled for next Wednesday morning at 9:30am. I scheduled to take the whole day off, if it turns out to be quick I'll just go snowboarding.

How badly should I worry about pissing off the sellers with 'we plan to remove that' comments? There's a lot of crap that everyone keeps telling me 'adds to resale value' that I want GONE.

How bad is a wood stove in the shop going to be for my insurance?

Don't talk to the seller, don't give them information about your plans that are not necessary to the move. Talking to the seller/discussing your plans with them is like a free ticket to last-minute price gouging and other troubles

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't think it's a terrible thing to talk to the sellers, but you should avoid conversations that bear on the sale price.

That said, if you've already agreed on a price they'd be idiots to try to renegotiate now. Inspections are when the buyer finds things wrong and demands concessions; they should be anxiously hoping you're satisfied, not taking offense at your plans for your personal private property.

But yeah you don't actually need to loudly announce your intentions to rip out the custom crown molding or whatever. It's irrelevant. You're there to find rotten wood, bad wiring, leaky roof, a cracked foundation, or a septic system that doesn't meet code; not quibble about whether or not the kitchen has the right feng shui.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Oh, yeah, clearly. We're under contract and they clearly are looking to get out of town so I'm not *too* worried, I just want to ask questions about stuff like removing the really nice diesel stove in the living room, which would involve patching the roof.

The also just put in some really nice gas stuff that I want to eventually remove since we don't actually have gas here. Everything gas has to be converted to propane, which then has to be delivered by truck.

I don't know if I'll ask about that at the inspection or when I get quotes for the work; I guess I can probably leave it for later.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Advent Horizon posted:

Oh, yeah, clearly. We're under contract and they clearly are looking to get out of town so I'm not *too* worried, I just want to ask questions about stuff like removing the really nice diesel stove in the living room, which would involve patching the roof.

The also just put in some really nice gas stuff that I want to eventually remove since we don't actually have gas here. Everything gas has to be converted to propane, which then has to be delivered by truck.

I don't know if I'll ask about that at the inspection or when I get quotes for the work; I guess I can probably leave it for later.

Those are all good things to ask someone other than the previous owners: I don't see how their opinions matter at all.

Your inspector might be able to give you some idea of cost but it's not really his job (unless he's a contractor too?).

It's bizarre that the previous owners put in gas-based upgrades without a gas supply, though, so maybe ask them why they did that? Maybe they know something you don't about plans to deliver gas to the house?

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
This might belong in a thread dealing more specifically about credit, but it's in the vein of buying a home so I'll pitch my story/questions here:

In my quest to buy a home this year I quickly discovered that I had a huge smoking crater in my credit report: I had defaulted on my student loan. And since then that default had chained its way through a handful of collection agencies who bought up the debt (or however that works) and eventually reported it defaulted as well, one after another for a couple years. In 2012 this all was news to me, like shocking, heat-in-the-chest news. Because circa mid 2008 I had distinctly remembered seeing my student loan balance low enough one day when I was doing bills for me to just finish it, so I made the final payment for about $200 and change and never looked back (I've since learned to never do this when closing a loan, the not looking back part only comes one vital step later). So suddenly I'm on the phone with Direct Loans. First order of business, the remaining balance had grown to nearly $400 so I cleared that with them over the phone immediately. Second order of business, what the gently caress happened?

[story]
It appears my last payment didn't clear or I had screwed up what the balance was or something, fine, mea culpa. But the timing couldn't have been worse for me. As I'm sure some of you remember the latter half of 2008's economy was a bit of a roller coaster and I was no exception. My employer of 3 years nearly evaporated overnight and they let nearly everyone go including me. The following 14 or so months was a whirlwind of poo poo involving several moves, a galling void of employment openings, one rebound job so lovely I had to leave it with the final straw being employer non-payment, and me generally downsizing my entire life, liquidating assets, and leaning on family to try and see it through to the other side.

Anyway, so late 2009 I started crawling out of the wreckage with a new job (and absolutely no money). And from then on I'll admit things have been pretty good. I left that job a year later for what seemed like a much better opportunity and it's so far been paying off, my title now has lots of syllables in it and my compensation and position for growth are becoming enviable (successful startups are amazing), and thanks to that swift acceleration over the last couple years I'm not noticeably behind in my career compared to where I might've been had the sky not fallen on me.
[/story]

So during all that it looks like something got severed with direct loans, their contact info for me, phone and address, were both out of date. Their address was one of the apartments I was in for a time and it was a few degrees of shady, so I'm not surprised if they botched my mail forwarding, and anyway I updated my info directly to stuff like the DMV but not my student loans because I had long since considered it a done deal. I apparently never had an email address on record with them which would've been hugely helpful since those never changed during all my trying times whereas I was jettisoning phone plans, closing checking accounts and so on during the shitstorm.

So from their perspective, I paid back the loan regularly for years and years and one day decided to just not pay off the remaining $200 and start ducking their calls and junking their mail for the next 4 years. From my perspective, I completely stopped hearing from them right around the time where I sent in the final payment (granted, I might have missed something during the onset of my jobless calamity but things have been stable for years and I've heard not a peep). I talked to them over and over, calling back to try and get someone new on the phone who maybe could help me out. My stance was and is: Look, why would I do that to myself? I get that the final payment never made it to you and I gladly would have made that right back then, even when times were tough I would've gotten something sorted out, but I never knew about it. I thought it was closed. I never heard of or heard FROM any of the collection firms whose names are now staining my credit rating, which is now costing me big time. If I still owed 30k or something then yeah there's no debating how it looks. So far they don't even say they can offer leniency and don't really have an evaluation process for something like this. I talked with some mortgage people and as far as I can tell I'm up a creek and have been told by one that even if the CR improves (it's in the mid 500s which apparently is immediate ineligibility for normal sane mortgages) the fact that I've got "defaulted on student loans" on my record means I probably won't get approved ever.

As it stands now, ignoring the credit rating, the mortgage people I spoke with seemed to converge on the same number of what I could afford for a home comfortably with my income, savings, overhead, etc, which is around $200k (w/ 15-20k down). I should note I'm going in with this with my fiancee who while she doesn't make as much adds to the amount we could get approved for dramatically (and her credit doesn't suck :v: ), but realistically I don't see us ever going after that since a house for like 200 or so in our area is going to be a gigantic home meant for a healthy middle class single earner family to grow up in, and we're currently DINK's just looking to make a smart purchase with our piles of money. But that's a moot point because this whole credit fiasco has really torpedoed things.

For now I'm working on my credit rating by taking on some credit cards (I cut all mine up years ago) and doing my spending through those. I could really use help or advice in the categories of:

1) Improving credit rating. though I think I mostly have this covered since it's a popular topic. Our current goal is for me to just improve the hell out of my credit since I usually avoid debt completely and have very low activity. I grabbed a capital one visa and think I might pick up an AMEX, which I think might be a good balance of credit acquisition without over doing it (I'm not sure which I should spend through, probably the AMEX and have the visa's limit as an emergency option). The hope is as the defaults become further in the past what with the student loan now properly paid off, and with rating-bumping activity from me, over a course of maybe 6 or 9 months the rating will creep up enough to qualify us for something that isn't completely poo poo. I have no idea if this is feasible or how much it would even go up by in that timeframe or if if I'm just going to wait for years to pass to ever be qualified.

2) Anyone familiar with the world of federal student loans? The best they've given me is "you can write in a letter to this address" which I haven't done yet out of fear of loving it up because that's literally all the info I have on who reads those and what they do with them. All I really want is some leniency on my credit report because I'm really not a douchenozzle that's gonna short them a couple hundred after paying back thousands over years and this is currently loving me over hard. I've noticed there's a thread for that stuff so I'll part out some of this post and put it over there.

3) Mortgage options. At the end of the day we have the capability of taking on a sizable mortgage with comfort, and in reality are not lovely investments when it comes to credit, so if there's something out there that can be worked that isn't totally shady or a total rip off I'd love to know about it. Maybe I need to broaden who I speak to, but the couple mortgage people I've spoken with have collectively said that a mid 500s credit rating with a student loan default is a hard stop on getting any approval, and I imagine they're right. My options currently from them are to either let my fiancee go solo on a mortgage (she's approved on her own for a decent amount) which we both are highly uncomfortable with for a few reasons. Or to take on a mortgage option meant for people with spotty credit which was something like you need 40% down and the interest rate is pretty ugly, also a non-starter option for us. But, is there anything out there we may not know about or are we truly screwed?

Sorry for the wall of text and if there's a thread that's more suited towards credit and mortgages I'll gladly move this there, but I hadn't spotted one in BFC. I can provide more detail like financial numbers but would rather do that in email exchanges or something with someone who wants to help out, I'd rather not post stuff like that on the great wide internet and probably have gone over the line with this post.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 29, 2012

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

It's bizarre that the previous owners put in gas-based upgrades without a gas supply, though, so maybe ask them why they did that? Maybe they know something you don't about plans to deliver gas to the house?

There is no gas in town, period. No road in or out, it comes in big propane tanks that stack with shipping containers on the barge. It's a pain in the rear end because the house also has a diesel furnace.

2 oil tanks, two propane tanks and one fuckoff huge wood stove. None of it connected together. I'm keeping the wood stove, the rest I want gone sooner or later. Electricity is cheap here and there's plenty of property for heat pump lines.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bhaal posted:

holy poo poo :words: about credit

Yeah, you need professional help. I've heard it is possible to challenge and expunge collections from a credit report, but I doubt this is the right thread for that.

There is a Student Loans thread, but I think you really want Ask me about dealing with/suing/being sued by debt collectors!. Read the whole OP of that one - the stuff near the bottom in particular sounds like it may be workable, since it's about settling with the debt collectors with expunging from your credit report being one of the conditions of the settlement.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 29, 2012

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

I think he stated that he already paid off the loan ($400 after interest) which means he might have lost some leverage.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Yeah, I thought along those lines briefly at the time, since it could look like conceding I was fully in the wrong. But felt that road would lead to proving I had sent the final payment in 2008 and I really didn't think I could do that (how much do you remember about a loan you finished off 4+ years ago?) Plus I closed the bank account it would have gone through in 2009. I was still poleaxed at learning all this and just wanted to do immediate damage control so it felt like leaving the balance open was just going to let the bleeding continue and/or legitimize my "4 year" record of non payment which is my biggest argument: never did I willingly or knowingly refuse payment when it was due.

Thank you for the links. I'll go through those tonight.

EDIT: Typos, that's what I get for posting via phone.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 30, 2012

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Paying off the original loan means it might be harder to get that off his report, yeah. The collections are all independent though, and still have to be dealt with individually. Each one represents an independent company that paid (pennies) for his debt.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Bhaal posted:

Yeah, I thought along those lines briefly at the time, since it could look like conceding I was fully in the wrong. But felt that road would lead to proving I had sent the final payment in 2008 and I really didn't think I could do that (how much do you remember about a loan you finished off 4+ years ago?) Plus I closed the bank account it would have gone through in 2009. I was still poleaxed at learning all this and just wanted to do immediate damage control so it felt like leaving the balance open was just going to let the bleeding continue and/or legitimize my "4 year" record of non payment which is my biggest argument: never did I willingly or knowingly refuse payment when it was due.

Thank you for the links. I'll go through those tonight.

EDIT: Typos, that's what I get for posting via phone.

It's worth mentioning that the best proof of paying off your loan is the final statement that says it is fully paid. I paid my loan off a few years ago and I still kept that statement. You learned a very expensive lesson but apply it to any bill you have, don't consider an account closed or bill paid unless you have written proof.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

WeaselWeaz posted:

It's worth mentioning that the best proof of paying off your loan is the final statement that says it is fully paid. I paid my loan off a few years ago and I still kept that statement. You learned a very expensive lesson but apply it to any bill you have, don't consider an account closed or bill paid unless you have written proof.

To expand on this, keep your "paid off" notices so when the collection agency conveniently forgets to report to the credit agencies that you did in fact pay it off, you can dispute it and use the letter as proof.

(Ask me about doing this just this month in preperations for getting preapproved. gently caress YOU COLLECTORS.)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Did a 30 day lock on a 3.49% 30 year refi, broker paying all closing costs today. I love the Fed.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Since this is a very weird situation, it involves federally subsidized loans and you haven't gotten any traction going up the chain with the loan agency, you might try contacting your house rep.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
First time home buyer here, trying to wrap my head around this whole process. Thanks for the thread.

Tomorrow I'm looking at a 5-7 properties with a broker for the first time. He's a friend of my parents from their church. So far he's been very responsive and professional via email. We haven't gotten into any heavy discussions yet. Does anyone know if Oregon requires exclusivity contracts? Is it standard procedure? I'm assuming I'll be presented with one to sign tomorrow.

Is there a basic list of questions i should ask about each property? Any general tips? Should i take my broker to lunch?

I have 71k in liquid assets and another 10k in an IRA. No debt, good credit. Meeting with a bank to get per-approval docs next week. Looking at a home under 240k. I make 45k a year.

edit: Also, is the Settlement Agent appointed by my broker or lender? I don't have a lawyer, so should I start looking for one?

edit 2: My parents have floated the idea of being my lender in a year or so (they're expecting a large inheritance soon), and buying out whatever loan i get. I shouldn't tell my agent or bank about this correct? What should i avoid that would make this difficult down the road?

bathhouse fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 30, 2012

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

bathhouse posted:

edit 2: My parents have floated the idea of being my lender in a year or so (they're expecting a large inheritance soon), and buying out whatever loan i get. I shouldn't tell my agent or bank about this correct? What should i avoid that would make this difficult down the road?
There shouldn't be any problem. I don't think many/any mortgages have prepayment penalties.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

bathhouse posted:

First time home buyer here, trying to wrap my head around this whole process. Thanks for the thread.

Tomorrow I'm looking at a 5-7 properties with a broker for the first time. He's a friend of my parents from their church. So far he's been very responsive and professional via email. We haven't gotten into any heavy discussions yet. Does anyone know if Oregon requires exclusivity contracts? Is it standard procedure? I'm assuming I'll be presented with one to sign tomorrow.

Do you have a buyer's agent? It's weird to have a loan broker go look at houses with you instead of a real estate agent. (I had both when I bought).

quote:

Is there a basic list of questions i should ask about each property? Any general tips? Should i take my broker to lunch?

You should ask about anything you care about. Look for the things you like, and also look for things you don't like. Bring paper and make notes. Plan to look at dozens of houses and don't feel like you need to make a decision quickly. Don't fall in love with any house.

You can buy your broker lunch if you want, but it's not expected.

quote:

I have 71k in liquid assets and another 10k in an IRA. No debt, good credit. Meeting with a bank to get per-approval docs next week. Looking at a home under 240k. I make 45k a year.

Everything here looks great except paying a mortgage on a 240k house with 45k of annual income. That's a stretch to my mind. Even with 20% down, so you pay no PMI, you still need to account for the principle, interest, homeowner's insurance, taxes, any HOA/association fees, utilities, maintenance, and furnishings. Do the math carefully and decide not "what's the maximum I could barely afford" but rather "what's the amount I'd actually be comfortable paying". I suspect you'll be closer to <200k.

quote:

edit: Also, is the Settlement Agent appointed by my broker or lender? I don't have a lawyer, so should I start looking for one?

A lawyer isn't required, but many folks recommend one. Get a lawyer that specializes in real estate. I'm not sure who appoints the settlement agent, but your broker will make sure it happens so don't worry about it.

quote:

Very few mortgages cannot be bought out, and you should not get one of those. Your broker will almost certainly assume you want a transferable mortgage, and in fact it's quite common for your mortgage to be purchased by a different bank. You have no say in that and it tends to just happen. So there shouldn't be any issue with your parents buying your mortgage.

Except. It's a terrible thing to own huge piles of money to family members. If you ever wind up in trouble on your mortgage, instead of dealing with the laws that protect you and the cold unfeeling machinations of a corporate entity, you have to deal with the stress financial matters place on your personal relationships. Personally I wouldn't trade a 3.25% 30-year fixed mortgage with a bank for a 0% 30-year fixed mortgage with my mom, even though it'd save me a ton of money. I just wouldn't want that between us. So think carefully about that.

From your parent's perspective, unless they're very wealthy, it's unlikely that piling 200k of their retirement money into a single investment with significant risk and almost no upside is a wise financial decision. They might well do it anyway out of love of their family, but from an asset diversification and risk/reward perspective it's not a great idea.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Do you have a buyer's agent? It's weird to have a loan broker go look at houses with you instead of a real estate agent. (I had both when I bought).

He's actually a real estate broker/agent, not mortgage. Sorry for the confusion.

I agree with you about my finances. I'm going to try to get as close to 200k as possible, if not lower. I'm definitely getting a roommate or two to help me cover the costs.

Thanks for the feedback and advice!

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

A "broker" is another term for realtor. Maybe with some additional cert or something, I don't know.

And yeah, that seems likely to lead to some house poorness.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

gvibes posted:

A "broker" is another term for realtor. Maybe with some additional cert or something, I don't know.

And yeah, that seems likely to lead to some house poorness.

A mortgage broker is not the same as a real estate agent.

e. To clarify: a mortgage broker helps you secure financing for your mortgage. He sifts through dozens of available loan products, helps you gather up all the paperwork you need, and makes recommendations about your financing. He is paid by the bank, not you, and costs you nothing.

A real estate agent assists you with picking a house. He shows you houses that are listed on MLS, contacts the seller('s agent), and provides expert advice about the features of a house that you may or may not care about. He conveys your offer to the seller, assists with negotiating a price, and helps to explain the paperwork you need to do. A good agent can also recommend inspectors, tell you about the neighborhoods you're interested in, and get a response from recalcitrant sellers (particularly for bank-owned properties). Your real estate agent is paid by a commission on the house; typically a 6% commission which is split between the buyer's and seller's agents. Your agent cannot secure financing for you and shouldn't give you advice about loan products.

I could see a single person being both if they were qualified to do both things, but I don't think that's the case here?

bathhouse posted:

I'm definitely getting a roommate or two to help me cover the costs.

Feel free to do this, but you absolutely should not plan on it in your finances. Renting is inconsistent, adds to your costs in ways you probably won't recognize immediately (increased maintenance) and exposes you to legal liabilities (you should get appropriate insurance, and read and understand the relevant laws pertaining to landlords in your jurisdiction).

There are several renter horror stories in this thread, so try to find those and read them although I realize the thread is really long now.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 30, 2012

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
I know this is totally unimportant, but your agent should really be buying you lunch not the other way around.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

A mortgage broker is not the same as a real estate agent.
He didn't say mortgage broker though. He just said broker. And in a lot of places, "real estate agents" have a "broker's license," and it's not to broker mortgages - see http://www.chicagorealtor.com/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=72

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

I could see a single person being both if they were qualified to do both things, but I don't think that's the case here?

Thanks for the good info. He calls himself a "broker", http://www.ashland-homes.com/agents_details.php?agent_ID=6110. Pretty sure it just means he's a real estate agent with more training/experience.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Huh. Well... I guess an agent is "brokering" houses to you? Still seems weird, and they must be aware that there's mortgage brokers too so just saying "yeah I'm a broker" is confusingly vague. I mean, they could be a stock broker too!

e. Oh my god, the eyes

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

Huh. Well... I guess an agent is "brokering" houses to you? Still seems weird, and they must be aware that there's mortgage brokers too so just saying "yeah I'm a broker" is confusingly vague. I mean, they could be a stock broker too!

e. Oh my god, the eyes

All real estate agents operate under a Real Estate Broker of some sort. They are agents with a certain number of years of experience who have completed additional training and licensing processes, and are have additional responsibilities and legal requirements as a result.

A broker can sell homes directly, though the skillset that separates an agent from a broker don't necessarily mean he will be better at it than an experienced agent.

Usually even if a broker is doing direct sales they still represent themselves as a REALTOR or agent to avoid confusion.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
Been having a terrible experience with my refinance. Basically the guy acts a bit like a stalker - he'll call my cell at work, which I can't always answer. Then my work phone will ring. Then my cell again. He'll leave the same voicemail three times and then when I call back he'll say almost word for word the same thing he said in the voicemail.

He hasn't told me what I need to do - I just got a list of papers I need to provide in the mail but it makes no sense at all. There's approximately 30 things I need to hunt down from sources I don't know, and some of them say things like "you need this because you're using non-employment income for your loan", which isn't true...

On top of that, I asked if we could just meet in person rather than using some idiotic online system that required a vast amount of printing/signing/faxing, and he said yes, we could meet, he would let us know when we could meet. Then 10 days later he called, called, called, then emailed to ask where we were "in the process". I asked what process he was talking about, he got confused, and then said he didn't know why we were waiting. I said WE were waiting for THEM to work us into their schedule, which was followed by "we can meet any day!" I said "how about Wednesday" and he said "any day EXCEPT Wednesday", so I said Thursday and he said okay, on Thursday, like an hour before we were supposed to meet. Then he asked me why we were meeting.

I also just got a thing that said they sent it, something about flood zone ratings. I don't know what this is, why I got it, or what I'm supposed to do with it.

So far the process has been pretty bad, and I'm wondering if all mortgage people are like this.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Get another one. I had a lovely refinance experience until I switched to loandepot and then it was quick and amazingly clear.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

moana posted:

Get another one. I had a lovely refinance experience until I switched to loandepot and then it was quick and amazingly clear.

I don't know if I can - let me ask you guys what you think. My situation is that I'm unfortunately underwater by quite a bit thanks to the market crash - I bought in 08, which was after the crash started obviously, but it kept on plummeting.

These mortgage guys told me that I was screwed if I went anywhere else but they offered refinancing that didn't require re-appraisal, which is why they could do it, and that anywhere else would require me to get a re-appraisal and I would get rejected due to being underwater.

The only other time I talked to another mortgage person about my situation was like 2 years ago, and he basically laughed in my face and said I was screwed.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Sounds really sketchy to me... is this an FHA streamline refinance? Don't trust any mortgage broker to tell you the truth about where else you can refinance your mortgage - especially not one who so clearly doesn't have his poo poo together.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Walk away from that guy, Doesn't sound like a good situation at all. He doesn't have super secret access to programs other brokers don't. He's full of poo poo.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Can anybody give me some tips on selling my house? I've had it listed since the end of September, and had two open houses with 0 traffic. I reduced the price to my break even point. The property is currently empty.

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Dec 3, 2012

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
You might be able to tweak your strategy to get more attention and interest (your realtor should be helping with that) but ultimately you can only sell it for what people will pay. Your break-even point is, unfortunately, completely irrelevant to anyone but yourself. Have you gotten an appraisal or price opinion from somebody?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

skipdogg posted:

Walk away from that guy, Doesn't sound like a good situation at all. He doesn't have super secret access to programs other brokers don't. He's full of poo poo.

He works for the people who gave us our first mortgage, which was through Century 21.

Are 'no re-appraisal required' refinances more common than this guy is saying? Because he straight up told us the only reason we could do the refinance is because they were the ones who originally did the mortgage in the first place.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Myrddin Emrys posted:

He works for the people who gave us our first mortgage, which was through Century 21.

Are 'no re-appraisal required' refinances more common than this guy is saying? Because he straight up told us the only reason we could do the refinance is because they were the ones who originally did the mortgage in the first place.

That's a lie. I'm assuming you have an FHA loan, anyone who can process an FHA loan can do a no appraisal required streamline refinance.

He's blowing so much smoke up your rear end it's not even funny. What rate is he quoting you? I bet he's making a killing off this loan.

FHA Loan. Yes or No? Very important to answer this question so we can give you accurate advice.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

joebuddah posted:

Can anybody give me some tips on selling my house? I've had it listed since the end of September, and had two open houses with 0 traffic. I reduced the price to my break even point. The property is currently empty.
Lower the price more.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

skipdogg posted:

That's a lie. I'm assuming you have an FHA loan, anyone who can process an FHA loan can do a no appraisal required streamline refinance.

He's blowing so much smoke up your rear end it's not even funny. What rate is he quoting you? I bet he's making a killing off this loan.

FHA Loan. Yes or No? Very important to answer this question so we can give you accurate advice.

3.85%. FHA Loan is yes, I originally bought with virtually nothing down and had a high interest rate, hence my interest in refinancing now.

Is there a way to double-check if it's FHA? I'm almost positive it is, but I'd like to verify.

As for what he's making, the closing costs were quoted as ~$2200, rolled into the principle. But, when I got the estimate, despite saying current loan $116k, $2.2k closing cost, the new principle amount was listed as $121.5k. No idea where the extra money came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure you should ditch that fucker, then learn more about what you're doing so the next guy doesn't rip you off. If you can't tell about FHA from your statements, just call the lender and ask.