Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

helopticor posted:

CrookedB posted:

Speaking of the soon-to-be-launched Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden 2 kickstarter, I've had the pleasure of interviewing Chef Boyardee about it. For those interested, the interview has a lot of exclusive info and a bunch of Barkley 2 screenshots: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8632

that interview posted:

We set the goal for $35,000 because this is a realistic number that we think we can reach
That's peanuts. If they don't double that in the first 24 hours I'll buy myself some dumb custom title or something.

Shalinor posted:

Nah, I'll give you the title, and you can give the money to some needy indie Kickstarter.

... but man. It will be some title, I tell you what. Not that this will come to pass, because yeah, Barkley Shut Up And Jam is going to make $40k easy.

EDIT: VV :hfive:

Francois Kofko posted:

Instead, put that extra $5 towards the Kickstarter and mod abuse yourself a dumb custom title :)

Well, I was wrong and Shalinor was right. It did make $40k easy (in the first 24 hours), but it did not make $70k as I dumbly claimed. So I guess Shalinor owes me a custom title, and I owe Chef Boyardee&co. (Tales of Game's) some money.

Now on the one hand, I could increase my pledge by a bit, but I think it might help them out more if I instead bought another copy of that ad for this month. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Boyardee's choice.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yep, pretty much expected it to get funded this fast, despite everyone on the dev team insisting it wouldn't. Barkley is a legendary game by now and this new one looks ridiculously good. I've actually been (mostly) in the loop about it for quite a while, thanks to being friends with one of the artists, and I've been pumped the whole time.

I honestly can't imagine the kind of person that wouldn't be excited about this game, especially considering how much of a huge step up from the already-great original it's shaping up to be. Part of me is disappointed the kickstarter isn't blowing up even more, to Tim Schafer levels, because the game honestly deserves it.

Incidentally, I've played quite a few of the games in the TOG game pack, and I can vouch for them all being quite awesome in their own ways. They're easily worth the price of the 60 dollar pledge all on their own, in my opinion.

Now c'mon, Chef, make with the stretch goals!

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Hey guys, im one of the artists on this. Character sprites and animated bits mostly.

Cant believe how quickly we reached the goal, gat drat. This is nuts. Thank you so much everyone!!

I wouldn't use the term "artist" to describe your western scribblings. It's truly a shame that your presence on this team continues to drag down the entire project, but I suppose I cannot fault your gross limitations considering the pitiable western "education" you suffered. It's a wonder Shumaker-san is so determined to make you a part of this, but I suppose he is part gaijin as well...

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
feliz navigames yall :yayclod:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Philip Rivers posted:

I envisioned the Barkley sequel as a game called Slam Spirit Summoners where you allied with the ghosts of ballers past to dunk your enemies into oblivion.

"Slam Spirit Summoners" sounds like a card battle game. I imagine it being sort of like Yugioh, but with more hoops.

THAT AINT GROW BACK
Sep 29, 2003
I think that body pillow covers should be a pack-in for all special/collectors editions of major game releases. gently caress special porcelain figures or maps.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
First and most important stretch goal is to get permission to use the first game's mix of Space Jam, followed only by Barkley himself.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
The projection for this project is pretty awesome.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/talesofgames/barkley-2-an-rpg-sequel-to-barkley-shut-up-and-jam/

I hope solid gold basketball shaped cartridges as a reward will be in order. Seriously though you guys deserve it since the first one was free.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
I've also chipped in! It's time to slam jam! I love the first game for many reasons, but mostly because it plays its absurdity entirely straight-faced and accepts Space Jam as canon.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Philip Rivers posted:

I envisioned the Barkley sequel as a game called Slam Spirit Summoners where you allied with the ghosts of ballers past to dunk your enemies into oblivion.

So basically Final Fantasy 10 with basketball players.

Hoops is titus, who will be Yuna?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
The projection is "insufficient data for projection". The projections on that site aren't the best indicator of what will happen, but the "trending" number is essentially useless.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

helopticor posted:

The projection is "insufficient data for projection". The projections on that site aren't the best indicator of what will happen, but the "trending" number is essentially useless.

Don't forget that this game is not for TREND. You can't predict how the kickstarter will do.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Buckwheat Sings posted:

The projection for this project is pretty awesome.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/talesofgames/barkley-2-an-rpg-sequel-to-barkley-shut-up-and-jam/

I hope solid gold basketball shaped cartridges as a reward will be in order. Seriously though you guys deserve it since the first one was free.
Hmmm, according to internal projections we will make enough money to buy Moldova, which happens to be a stretch goal.

helopticor posted:

That's peanuts. If they don't double that in the first 24 hours I'll buy myself some dumb custom title or something.

Well, I was wrong and Shalinor was right. It did make $40k easy (in the first 24 hours), but it did not make $70k as I dumbly claimed. So I guess Shalinor owes me a custom title, and I owe Chef Boyardee&co. (Tales of Game's) some money.

Now on the one hand, I could increase my pledge by a bit, but I think it might help them out more if I instead bought another copy of that ad for this month. Thoughts?
[/quote]If I had to choose, I'd say go with the banner. Either way, I want to thank you and everyone else at SA for the ridiculous generosity you've shown the project. I just cannot believe how much everyone here has contributed.

This doesn't even represent all that people here have given, just what people who have clicked on the link via this topic have given. It is crazy and I just cannot thank you all enough.

We're going to be posting stretch goals tomorrow, as well as a few additions to the pledge rewards. We've got a few pretty good things in store, so hopefully it helps to maintain interest in the project.

Seriously, thank you everybody!!!!!!!!!

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Shuttle of joy never forget.
Pledged $25 originally, then realized just how much I loved the music from the rest of your games, and moved up to $45. Can't wait for this to come out, never thought I would see the day that a true sequel to Barkley would be in the works.

"Semper Games"

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

DrManiac posted:

So basically Final Fantasy 10 with basketball players.

Hoops is titus, who will be Yuna?

I dunno, I thought of it like Jade Cocoon. Really, I just want a game where my team can consist of Barkley, Shaq, VC, Blake Griffin, and Hakeem Olajuwon.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I pledged $25. I am super pumped to play this game when you guys are finished!

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

The $1,000 tier reward is genuinely, without exaggeration, the best Kickstarter tier reward of all time.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Chef Boyardee posted:

If I had to choose, I'd say go with the banner.
Your wish was my command. It's up now.

Vafthrudnir
Apr 6, 2009

FRUNGY! FRUNGY! FRUNGY!
I pledged $10 because Steam sales destroyed my wallet and I can't wait until I can actually play the game. I love everything about the first one.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Vincent Valentine posted:

The $1,000 tier reward is genuinely, without exaggeration, the best Kickstarter tier reward of all time.

I'm sad only one person gets to do it. I would have spun a tale of bullshit that has never been done before. Developers can jump into a game and create quests in real time and be NPCs and you'll never know, an entire eco system where you can win the game by destroying all the food sources and watch as food riots happen. If you want, you can stay in your starting house (you can buy procedurally generated houses or build your own and you can sell and rent them out) and start a small family and work your way up to president of the game. That is just to start, the entire animation system is using a proprietary physics model that allows the game to create an infinite number of NPCs, each with unique quests that can take hours to finish and are never repeated thanks to an internal funness and sameness system.

Most important the person must agree with everything the interviewer says. Co-op? Yep, one person control the ATB menu while the other person moves the character. Always on DRM? If it loses connection the game uninstalls itself.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 30, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Pledged my $15, cannot wait to get my secret and totally not useless hint! Quick question, will this have gamepad support? Seems like it'd mesh very well with this style of game.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I hope there's anime-style dating sim side quests you can pursue. I'd love to romance kawaii and tsundere eunuchs/others. People still need love in a post-cyberpocalyptic world.

Looking forward to the game, thanks for making it.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Edit: I'm dumb and can't read threads.

Novasol fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 30, 2012

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Pledged $25. First game is legendary and I still recommend it to friends as a true example of a well-made game, and as something that is genuinely funny. High hopes for its sequel, and absolutely certain that it will deliver.

Semper games

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I have literally never pledged to a Kickstarter campaign before in my life but I just tossed $60 your way because this will be the vidcon of the Willenium and I want to be able to say I was a part of it.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Yeah, same as above. This is the only kickstarter that got me dreaming of a beautiful future in gaming.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I was going to make a joke about getting the guy from Deep Purple to do vocals as a stretch goal but somebody already did that, so instead I'm crossposting this link here to help kill time until the game is finished:

http://www.mediafire.com/?cdia5f2yb0r88

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I'm dropping $25 as soon as I get my check tomorrow.

Hormples
May 3, 2002

ARRGHH!!
MY BONES!!

The $300 rewards sure went fast, but I got one in time! I regret nothing :unsmigghh:

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
Semper Games.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I hope there's anime-style dating sim side quests you can pursue. I'd love to romance kawaii and tsundere eunuchs/others. People still need love in a post-cyberpocalyptic world.

Only if there's applebottoms.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Segmentation Fault posted:

I'm dropping $25 as soon as I get my check tomorrow.

You know you can pledge money and it wont get charged for twenty eight days right? You can pledge now!

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Man I'm looking forward to this, although I hope that the "things change over time" part of the game doesn't mean that there are going to be suikoden-style quests that expire depending on your gameclock since I'll probably be going out of my way to talk to everyone.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
91 people are getting Cyberdwarf body pillows so far.

91 people.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Chef Boyardee posted:

91 people.

You have no idea how to get that many printed, do you :v:

You are probably going to end up having a bigger print run of that thing than a number of unironic dakis in Japan, you realize

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Chef Boyardee posted:

91 people.

It... it's not like we like the body pillow or anything. We just had this extra money, you see...

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Novasol posted:

It... it's not like we like the body pillow or anything. We just had this extra money, you see...

I don't even like apple bottoms... b-baka....

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

SpaceDrake posted:

You have no idea how to get that many printed, do you :v:

You are probably going to end up having a bigger print run of that thing than a number of unironic dakis in Japan, you realize

Hahaha, it's not that. I am just astounded that there are 91 people who thought it was a good idea. We're actually getting one today, hopefully it looks completely ridiculous.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm definitely going to upload a picture of me in my pajamas cuddled up with my Cyberdwarf body pillow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Crappy Jack posted:

I don't even like apple bottoms... b-baka....

D-don't get any ideas...