Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Gobbeldygook posted:

An unironic thank-you to you. I'm still planning to take up the time of a paralegal or two, but that helps further temper my expectations. Assuming the med-mal approach doesn't work out, is there any reason I couldn't do the small claims court idea?

Prove me up a dollar value. Right here, right now. Throw your dick down on the table. Tell me how much this is worth and why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dingledangle
Feb 25, 2012

just add water

Gobbeldygook posted:

Another difference is that if someone talks or moves while they are supposed to be in general anesthesia, it means the anesthesiologist hosed-up hard-core. That is not the case with minimal/moderate sedation with Versed, as Choadmaster has pointed out.

hosed up hard core?? A patient moved three times during a surgery yesterday and while that's a little much, patients moving during surgery is common enough - definitely not a serious failure as you claim. It's seems like you looked up a bunch of crap on the Internet and now consider yourself an expert but really you have nothing to complain about here. I'd listen to everyone else and just drop it.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
If he gives the right attorney $25,000 to spend on prepping the case, the other side will settle for $10,000 in 'go away' money.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

dingledangle posted:

hosed up hard core?? A patient moved three times during a surgery yesterday and while that's a little much, patients moving during surgery is common enough - definitely not a serious failure as you claim. It's seems like you looked up a bunch of crap on the Internet and now consider yourself an expert but really you have nothing to complain about here. I'd listen to everyone else and just drop it.

How does that work with really delicate surgery where a patient moving could kill them? Do they add additional paralytics for those situations or is it just rolling the dice?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Gobbeldygook posted:

I've received Versed before for a minor procedure outside of the OR. The difference is that the anesthesiologist, without any prompting from me, kept me completely in the loop about when he was administering sedatives.

Since you already knew what it would do anyway, what is the point of all this?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

joat mon posted:

If he gives the right attorney $25,000 to spend on prepping the case, the other side will settle for $10,000 in 'go away' money.

But will he get an apology?

baquerd posted:

How does that work with really delicate surgery where a patient moving could kill them? Do they add additional paralytics for those situations or is it just rolling the dice?

There are all kinds of other drugs the surgeon and anesthesiologist can use to block nerve signals, and of course hospitals have all sorts of equipment to hold people down if they have to. They're just not used unless they need to be. Nobody cares if the patient wiggles their toes during a tonsillectomy, and unnecessary drugs carry the risk (however small) of side effects.

dingledangle
Feb 25, 2012

just add water

baquerd posted:

If a patient has comorbidities the anesthesiologist may keep the gas light which can lead to patient movement. If the patient needs to be absolutely still they'll just ramp up the gas and use adjuvent anesthetics. But those "have to be absolutely still otherwise dies" surgeries are more rare than you think; I've never seen one.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Gobbeldygook posted:

The prescribing guidelines specifically say patients should be warned about the sedation and amnesia.

What do the FDA labeling guidelines say?

How did your not being warned impact you in a monetary fashion? Would you have not received it if you had known?

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Xenoborg wins.

Gobbeldygook posted:

I've received Versed before for a minor procedure outside of the OR.
You knew the side effects of the drug before it was administered. You weren't "roofied" by a nurse without informed consent. You were in-fact completely informed about the effects of the drug before it was administered.

You're just a self-entitled twit looking to waste people's time because you feel "violated" over not remembering 30 seconds of time prior to more sedation. gently caress you and your rotten kidney.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Somebody brushed up against me the other day and I had forgotten it until they said something, how much can I get for pain and suffering? I shouldn't have to worry about someone brushing up against me!

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Got a quick question for anyone familiar with dealing with Connecticut Estate laws.

My father passed away and my brother is finalizing the estate. It's been a long and drawn out process and in the meantime, my grandparents sold their house. My father was partial owner on it and I've been told two contradicting things by two different lawyers about what happens with the money. The attorney handling the estate says that all the money needs to be frozen until the estate is settled while the attorney that handled the sale of the house says that only the amount needed to pay off any estate/sales taxes needs to be held and that I should have gotten the rest of it by now.

Any opinions on which is one is right? Sorry if the details aren't specific enough for the question.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

dingledangle posted:

When you say 'moved' do you mean small, random, purposeless movements like turning their head or moving their warm or are you saying you saw three patients engage in gross, purposeful movements while under general anesthesia like grabbing objects, flailing, trying to roll over, etc? I'm not doubting your experience here and I am happy to issue a mea culpa, I'm genuinely curious. I thought the point of administering a paralytics (rocuronium in my case) was to minimize unconscious movements.

Zauper posted:

What do the FDA labeling guidelines say?

How did your not being warned impact you in a monetary fashion? Would you have not received it if you had known?

CaptainScraps posted:

Prove me up a dollar value. Right here, right now. Throw your dick down on the table. Tell me how much this is worth and why.
What I quoted is from the official, FDA-approved package insert.

The only damages would be emotional distress or punitive. Consider the example of McDonald's paying a $10 million settlement to Hindu's to settle claims related to their use of beef flavoring in its french fries. No-one was actually harmed by eating french fries with some miniscule amount of beef other than psychologically. But, again, I do not actually want money. Any and all monetary demands are means to an end. If they said, "We're sorry, we should have told you about what we were giving you and that it was optional. In the future, we'll do that for other patients", I would walk away completely happy and satisfied.

Would I have accepted it if they had told me? I would have said no thank you. Which leads to -

Xenoborg posted:

Since you already knew what it would do anyway, what is the point of all this?
I didn't know, I only know this in hindsight. I had never done any reading on anesthesia, Versed, sedatives, or anything like that before this, so I just thought any situation in which I had an IV put in and a doctor told me to count backwards from 100 before I lost consciousness was the same. With the knowledge I have now, I'd still take IV sedation if I had another three impacted wisdom teeth to be removed, but for the minor elective procedure I had done that only required local, I'd have asked if the sedation could be avoided without compromising my safety. If doing so would be significant risk to my safety, I'd have consented to it.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Gobbeldygook posted:

The only damages would be emotional distress or punitive.

Your state does not allow for damages due to emotional distress, and there is no statutory basis for punitive damages. You have zero legal claim under any theory of law. You were not violated. You are not owed an apology. They did nothing wrong. You're just sort of not a smart person.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Anyway to get emotional damages you one actually needs to be . . .you know . . emotionally damaged. Proving emotional damages is a hard thing and usually takes expert testimony and a documented case of emotional distress such that the person's life is negatively impacted to a degree beyond normal disappointment, regret or anger.

Also McDonalds donated 10 million to some groups. There wasn't 10 million in emotional damages.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 29, 2012

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010

NancyPants posted:

Somebody brushed up against me the other day and I had forgotten it until they said something, how much can I get for pain and suffering? I shouldn't have to worry about someone brushing up against me!

This sort of raises an interesting point. Under the English legal system battery is actionable without needing to prove damage was suffered. Everyday contact is excluded, so a bump in public won't be covered, but otherwise the level of contact required very low.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Robviously posted:

Got a quick question for anyone familiar with dealing with Connecticut Estate laws.

My father passed away and my brother is finalizing the estate. It's been a long and drawn out process and in the meantime, my grandparents sold their house. My father was partial owner on it and I've been told two contradicting things by two different lawyers about what happens with the money. The attorney handling the estate says that all the money needs to be frozen until the estate is settled while the attorney that handled the sale of the house says that only the amount needed to pay off any estate/sales taxes needs to be held and that I should have gotten the rest of it by now.

Any opinions on which is one is right? Sorry if the details aren't specific enough for the question.

The estate attorney may be worried about possible late claims coming in?

General legal facts:

In my state all disbursements of bequests before an estate is closed are done at risk. They may have to be returned to cover estate costs. This can be an issue when, for example, the taxes were not done correctly at first or there is a late, but valid, claim made against the estate.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 29, 2012

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

woozle wuzzle posted:

You're just sort of not a smart person.

You should probably apologize for that statement if you don't want to be staring down the barrel of a frivolous law suit.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

woozle wuzzle posted:

Your state does not allow for damages due to emotional distress, and there is no statutory basis for punitive damages.
Where are you getting that Missouri doesn't allow noneconomic damages? Section 538.210 intended to put a cap on non-economic damages (which was subsequently overturned by the courts), so presumably if a cap had to be put in place then damages were possible in the first place. The relevant definition of noneconomic damages is "damages arising from nonpecuniary harm including, without limitation, pain, suffering, mental anguish, inconvenience, physical impairment, disfigurement, loss of capacity to enjoy life, and loss of consortium but shall not include punitive damages;".

euphronius posted:

Anyway to get emotional damages you one actually needs to be . . .you know . . emotionally damaged. Proving emotional damages is a hard thing and usually takes expert testimony and a documented case of emotional distress such that the person's life is negatively impacted to a degree beyond normal disappointment, regret or anger.
Thank you. Knowing the bar I would need to clear is actually helpful. Can you recommend any sources for a summary of case law about what, for example, "mental anguish" or "disfigurement" actually means in practice? Would just any textbook about torts go into this?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Damages is actually its own subject in law because it is so important. The law is different in each state and at the federal level so it is impossible to summarize really. The law will also change depending on why type of case it is. Often, as was mentioned, their availability is curtailed or removed by statute.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Jesus christ, no for the love of God just loving stop. IIED/NIED cases have one of the toughest evidentiary barriers to prove precisely because idiots like you like to make those cases when nothing else works. 99.999999999% of the time, IIED/NIED is going to be an incidental claim on top of some other intentional tort. Which we've already told you, you don't have. Which should tell you, you don't have an emotional distress claim either.

You have something like a dozen lawyers in this thread telling you that you are wrong. You won't admit it. You're like Pooky except worse.

Just. loving. Let it go.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

His state might not even recognize those torts as well.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Gobbeldygook posted:

I'm not exactly an expert here, but the word 'should' does not mean 'must', or 'required by law'. It's also in the 'information for patients' section of the label, which is generally.. information for you.

Additionally, the consent form you signed for your anesthesia would also give them a waiver for the drugs they administered for anesethesia.... including versed, because it was administered to reduce the rate and and amount of other drugs you would have to be administered.

quote:

intravenously for induction of general anesthesia, before administration of other anesthetic agents. With the use of narcotic premedication, induction of anesthesia can be attained within a relatively narrow dose range and in a short period of time. Intravenous midazolam can also be used as a component of intravenous supplementation of nitrous oxide and oxygen (balanced anesthesia);
It's right there, in the labelling that you're so happily reading. You did sign a waiver for your anesthesia, right?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Diplomaticus posted:

You have something like a dozen lawyers in this thread telling you that you are wrong.

A dozen and one, but it's not a matter of right and wrong, it's a matter of not understanding the law. You being pissed off, upset, or offended is not a damage recognized in the sense of tort law. You have to articulate a real damage to have a claim in tort, and so far you have not articulated any

The only recourse I see is that you report this issue to whatever state licensing board and maybe they will take some sort of corrective action. You will get zero money out of this, and you will get no apology. I do not feel, from what has been presented, that the doctors or nurses violated the duty of informed consent.

Not your attorney and this is not legal advice.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
On a completely seperate topic - can you attorneys who deal with high volume of paper suggest a durable, quality two\three hole puncher that is not counter mounted?

We tear through things left and right here, we had a Carl two hole puncher and the metal punching rod literally split apart. Literally looked like this - but metal and much smaller. Sent about half dozen metal slivers into my fingers when I was taking it apart.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ojDvde2hpK8/Ts351k7Ij7I/AAAAAAAAA6o/jYxqg6ZUB3g/s1600/100_4321.JPG

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Gobbeldygook posted:

Where are you getting that Missouri doesn't allow noneconomic damages?

I didn't say noneconomic damages, you ignorant slut. I said emotional distress.

Your definition of noneconomic damages includes a list of things. You experienced NOTHING on that list of things. You have no claim. With infinite resources, you literally have no claim whatsoever aside from fraud on the court.

You are owed no apology because there was literally no breech of the standard of care. Spend your time looking up that standard, and get back to us about what they were required to tell you in order to have your informed consent. (hint: they got it)

(I would like to point out that this guy lives in the SHOWME state)

woozle wuzzle fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 29, 2012

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

euphronius posted:

The estate attorney may be worried about possible late claims coming in?

General legal facts:

In my state all disbursements of bequests before an estate is closed are done at risk. They may have to be returned to cover estate costs. This can be an issue when, for example, the taxes were not done correctly at first or there is a late, but valid, claim made against the estate.

I got a little bit of clarification that the money supposed to be coming my way would only be a portion of it. They were supposed to overestimate the taxes and divide the rest up between my brother and I. Don't know if that would change anything, but it certainly doesn't sound like there would be any other claims at the time being.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

xxEightxx posted:

On a completely seperate topic - can you attorneys who deal with high volume of paper suggest a durable, quality two\three hole puncher that is not counter mounted?

We tear through things left and right here, we had a Carl two hole puncher and the metal punching rod literally split apart. Literally looked like this - but metal and much smaller. Sent about half dozen metal slivers into my fingers when I was taking it apart.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ojDvde2hpK8/Ts351k7Ij7I/AAAAAAAAA6o/jYxqg6ZUB3g/s1600/100_4321.JPG

Sounds like a maintenance failure rather than a product failure.
Replace the punch heads when they get dull.
e.g., http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Doffice-products&field-keywords=carl+punch+heads

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Robviously posted:

I got a little bit of clarification that the money supposed to be coming my way would only be a portion of it. They were supposed to overestimate the taxes and divide the rest up between my brother and I. Don't know if that would change anything, but it certainly doesn't sound like there would be any other claims at the time being.

Is the attorney also the executor?

General legal facts not particularized to your situation but intended for education only:

Usually it is the executor who makes the decision to make early, at-risk disbursements since they are the ones who are personally responsible if there is no money left in the estate to pay valid claims after early disbursements.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

woozle wuzzle posted:

I didn't say noneconomic damages, you ignorant slut. I said emotional distress.

Your definition of noneconomic damages includes a list of things. You experienced NOTHING on that list of things. You have no claim. With infinite resources, you literally have no claim whatsoever aside from fraud on the court.
You should ask your doctor for a :chillpill: bro.

My initial reading was that the addition of "including, without limitation," was just another way of saying "including, but not limited to, the following". If that's not what that clause means, then what does it mean? The only other meaning I can come up with is that it means damages from those causes are unlimited in amount, but it seems like a really imprecise way of saying that.

Zauper posted:

Additionally, the consent form you signed for your anesthesia would also give them a waiver for the drugs they administered for anesethesia.... including versed, because it was administered to reduce the rate and and amount of other drugs you would have to be administered.

It's right there, in the labelling that you're so happily reading. You did sign a waiver for your anesthesia, right?
I actually don't remember signing an anesthesia consent form/liability waiver, but I'm not confident enough to declare that I did not sign a waiver. The only form I remember signing after my intake in the ER was in the preop room to consent to a blood transfusion. I put in a complete records request to the hospital a few weeks ago in part to see if I signed one. I wasn't planning to take any action until after I had a chance to go over my complete record set.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Gobbeldygook posted:

I actually don't remember signing an anesthesia consent form/liability waiver, but I'm not confident enough to declare that I did not sign a waiver.

I think this is a requirement before receiving it. I just had a baby and while I was going through the worst pain imaginable, they made me sign a waiver before they'd start an epidural.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Gobbeldygook posted:

My initial reading was that the addition of "including, without limitation," was just another way of saying "including, but not limited to, the following".
That's correct. But your situation very clearly doesn't fall into the nebulous "anything else" bin. The key word is "damages" in front. Meaning there has to be an actual loss, an actual damage. You did not experience any damages. One main theory behind torts is to make the plaintiff whole. You're already whole. You don't get paid for being genuinely irritated.

If I seem irrate, it's because people like you force the system to hold true victims in limbo. You're the boy crying wolf. I had a client last week who 6 months prior blacked out while walking from her bed to the bathroom a day after giving birth. She clocked her face full-force on the corner of a marble countertop, and lost half her teeth and her jaw won't close properly. She laid passed out in a pool of her blood and teeth for at least 15 minutes before being found. Liability arguments aside: she has non-economic damage, in addition to her out-of-pocket. That's what it's trying to define. The system exists to try and make her whole as best it can. You are already whole. There's nothing lost and nothing to fix. If you had to tell a judge in a literal way exactly what it is you lost, what is your answer? Our system is (rightfully) designed not to replace what it is you think you lost.

woozle wuzzle fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 30, 2012

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
Gobbeldygook, have you had substance abuse issues in your past? If so, you might be able to get up to and including a local newspaper article about not having your preference of what to be anesthetized with. Otherwise, what do you think is going to happen? I'm honestly curious how this plays out. I'm not a doctor OR a lawyer, but you have both of them here (people you've ostensibly asked for advice, by the way) giving you medical and legal reasons why you should be happy for your successful operation and continue with your life. You mentioned that you don't want other people to have to go through what you went through, but it's really not clear that you went through anything but a nice nap.

Again, if you're worried about controlling what goes in your body, I totally understand why you want to know exactly what you're getting - but that's your responsibility to inform your doctor about before you're getting prepped for surgery. Otherwise, I've been following this and I don't get why you need a memory of your medical procedure. Please do not labor under the pretense that you're fighting for somebody else - this is a personal issue of yours that might be best worked out in group/therapy setting.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
Not sure if this is technically a legal question, though it does deal with fines and transport authorities- ignore if I'm posting this in the horribly wrong place.

I got booked for hopping a turn style in Melbourne, Australia. I did so because a family let their kid run into the gate as my ticket was being validated, and since two people tried to go through at the same time, the gate didn't know what the gently caress was going on and closed every time I re approached it. Normally, you'd want to go to station staff of course, but the station was in the middle of a massive renovation with half the barriers being upgraded to a new ticketing system, meaning the guys manning the gates were flat out, and I was late for work. Stupid, yes, but I sure don't feel it is worth of a couple hundred bucks fine, same as if I hadn't have bought a ticket at all (the transport authority person checked my ticket and found it was indeed valid).

How do I go about refuting/begging forgiveness for this one? It's a first offence (of any kind), and whilst a couple of hundred ain't much, I'm a student that has literally just moved house, I don't have poo poo, let alone poo poo to spare.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

pork minstral posted:

Well, hey. I'm posting in this thread.

I was just written up by a few particularly belligerent cops for public urination--specifically, on a New York City subway platform. I don't know if they personally saw me or if it was over CCTV. I suspect the latter as they didn't show up until at least 10 minutes after I appeared to urinate.

It's been written up as a 153.09, which is a misdemeanor, which realllllly loving sucks as I'm a permanent resident shooting for citizenship. I'm supposed to either show up on my court date to plead guilty, or mail in a not guilty plea within 48 hours.

Here's the wrinkle: the date on the summons is wrong. It's tomorrow. (And I'm not forgetting that it took place after midnight--it's tomorrow.) According to this guy who's clearly made a business of this that's grounds for a motion to dismiss on facial insufficiency. Obviously I only have 24 hours to verify that this is a ticket FROM THE FUTURE.

What is my best course of action here? I really, really, really do not want this on my record.

You NEED a lawyer. Do it loving yesterday. Go to court and tell them you want a lawyer. They'll almost certainly let you continue. Call a lawyer now.
Especially with the immigration issue. How the hell did you get this far without a lawyer?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Gobbeldygook posted:

:words:

There are two concepts that might be getting minced and causing confusion, and those 'damages' vs. 'injury' or 'harm'. Damages are either economic in nature (e.g. medical bills you suffered from the tort), and nonecomic (or "nonpecuniary")in nature (e.g. pain and suffering you suffered as a result of the tort). What both of those are based on is that a tort was commited against you. In order to show that, you must demonstrate that you were injured or harmed. What we are saying is that you have not demonstrated injury or harm. Any discussion of damages is thus irrelevant until such time that you can articulate an injury or harm.

Put in the form of an example. I swing a baseball bat at you with the intent of hurting you. I connect to your arm, breaking it. Pursuant to MO jury instruction 3.13-2 civil battery is where,

quote:

The plaintiff alleges that the conduct of the defendant constituted a battery.

A battery is a harmful or offensive contact with the person of another.

A harmful contact is one that causes physical impairment of the condition of another's body, physical pain, or illness. An offensive contact is one that offends a reasonable sense of personal dignity.

The contact must be the direct and immediate consequence of a force exerted by the defendant intentionally, wantonly, or without the exercise of due care.

Harmful contact? I think slugging you with a bat qualifies.

Harmful contact cause physical impairment and pain? I broke your arm, im guessing it probably hurt too.

Contact direct and immediate consequence of force exerted by me intentionally? I was sober etc, and i meant to do it.

The tort is complete. A jury would most likely find me liable for civil battery. Now the jury would have to calculate damages...

quote:

3.4-1 Damages - General

Revised to March 23, 2012 (modified April 5, 2012)

The rule of damages is as follows. Insofar as money can do it, the plaintiff is to receive fair, just and reasonable compensation for all injuries and losses, past and future, which are proximately caused by the defendant's proven negligence. Under this rule, the purpose of an award of damages is not to punish or penalize the defendant for (his/her) negligence, but to compensate the plaintiff for (his/her) resulting injuries and losses. You must attempt to put the plaintiff in the same position, as far as money can do it, that (he/she) would have been in had the defendant not been negligent.

Our laws impose certain rules to govern the award of damages in any case where liability is proven. Just as the plaintiff has the burden of proving liability by a fair preponderance of the evidence, (he/she) has the burden of proving (his/her) entitlement to recover damages by a fair preponderance of the evidence. To that end, the plaintiff must prove both the nature and extent of each particular loss or injury for which (he/she) seeks to recover damages and that the loss or injury in question was proximately caused by the defendant's negligence. You may not guess or speculate as to the nature or extent of the plaintiff’s losses or injuries. Your decision must be based on reasonable probabilities in light of the evidence presented at trial. Injuries and losses for which the plaintiff should be compensated include those (he/she) has suffered up to and including the present time and those (he/she) is reasonably likely to suffer in the future as a proximate result of the defendant's negligence. Negligence, as I previously instructed you, is a proximate cause of a loss or injury if it is a substantial factor in bringing that loss or injury about.

Once the plaintiff has proved the nature and extent of (his/her) compensable injuries and losses, it becomes your job to determine what is fair, just and reasonable compensation for those injuries and losses. There is often no mathematical formula in making this determination. Instead, you must use human experience and apply sound common sense in determining the amount of your verdict.

In a personal injury action, there are two general types of damages with which you must be concerned: economic and noneconomic damages. Economic damages are monies awarded as compensation for monetary losses and expenses which the plaintiff has incurred, or is reasonably likely to incur in the future, as a result of the defendant's negligence. They are awarded for such things as the cost of reasonable and necessary medical care and lost earnings. Noneconomic damages are monies awarded as compensation for non-monetary losses and injuries which the plaintiff has suffered, or is reasonably likely to suffer in the future, as a result of the defendant's negligence. They are awarded for such things as physical pain and suffering, mental and emotional pain and suffering, and loss or diminution of the ability to enjoy life's pleasures.

Emphasis is mine. Damages are not determined until liability is proven, which it has since the jury found me liable for civil battery. Hopefully now we got the seperation of a tort and damages out of the way lets apply that to MO informed consent. Jury instruction 3.8-4

quote:

The theory of informed consent imposes a duty upon a physician that is completely separate and distinct from (his/her) responsibility to skillfully diagnose and treat the patient’s ills. A physician has a duty to disclose all known material risks of the proposed procedure. A material risk is risk that a reasonably prudent person in the patient’s position would have found significant in deciding whether or not to submit to the proposed procedure. The physician has a duty to give a patient whose situation permits it all information material to the decision to undergo the proposed procedure. This duty includes a responsibility to advise the patient of feasible alternatives. The duty to warn of alternatives exists only when there are feasible alternatives available.

The plaintiff must prove both that there was a failure to disclose a known material risk of a proposed procedure and that such failure was a proximate cause of (his/her) injury. In order to find proximate cause in this context, you must find that a disclosure of the material risks of the proposed procedure would have resulted in a decision by a reasonably prudent person in the patient’s position not to submit to the proposed procedure. The particular patient’s reaction, had (he/she) received the information as to the risks involved, is not the governing one with respect to the duty to inform. The standard is what a reasonably prudent person in the patient’s position would have decided if suitably informed of all material risks.

Emphasis is mine. The fact that you have no injury means the tort fails. We don't reach any analysis of what your damages are because of that failure. Hopefully that helps clear things up.

xxEightxx fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 30, 2012

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Gobbeldygook posted:

The only damages would be emotional distress or punitive. Consider the example of McDonald's paying a $10 million settlement to Hindu's to settle claims related to their use of beef flavoring in its french fries. No-one was actually harmed by eating french fries with some miniscule amount of beef other than psychologically. But, again, I do not actually want money. Any and all monetary demands are means to an end. If they said, "We're sorry, we should have told you about what we were giving you and that it was optional. In the future, we'll do that for other patients", I would walk away completely happy and satisfied.

Objection, nonresponsive.

GIVE ME A DOLLAR FIGURE AND TELL ME WHY.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Alterian posted:

I think this is a requirement before receiving it. I just had a baby and while I was going through the worst pain imaginable, they made me sign a waiver before they'd start an epidural.
I simply have no memory of signing one. I don't think it would matter if I didn't sign one. If I didn't already have a case, the lack of a signed consent form wouldn't create a case (outside the bizarre argument that the lack of any explicit oral or written consent to anesthesia meant after the Versed was administered I couldn't consent to any further anesthesia and therefore the anesthesia itself was a criminal act, but that is firmly in "flying pig" territory given that I gave clear oral consent to the surgical procedure itself and thus implied consent to anesthesia).

xxEightxx posted:

Emphasis is mine. The fact that you have no injury means the tort fails. We don't reach any analysis of what your damages are because of that failure. Hopefully that helps clear things up.
That was quite helpful, thank you. I'm surprised there's no way for me to read that description of informed consent without using Lexis or dropping by a legal library. "The Court does not prepare or publish a compilation of its Missouri Approved Instructions for civil cases. Nevertheless, such compilations are available from various commercial and other entities."

woozle wuzzle posted:

If you had to tell a judge in a literal way exactly what it is you lost, what is your answer? Our system is (rightfully) designed not to replace what it is you think you lost.
The biggest thing I feel I have lost is my ability to implicitly trust medical providers. Despite being an admitted control freak, I have always forced myself to approach the medical system from the standpoint that I am not a doctor and I'm better off trusting doctors to do right by me instead of trying to micromanage my care. People don't go to med school so they can spend the rest of their life being assholes (that's what law school is for), but so they can spend their life making money and/or helping people.

My initial reaction after realizing I abruptly blacked out after being administered Versed (which was the day I got home and was writing down my experiences) was not "That loving rear end in a top hat roofied me!", but disbelief that he had accidentally given me a black-out dose of benzos. As I thought about it more, that seemed less likely. It's literally his job to knock people out and wake them up afterwards. If I blacked out, he must have wanted to make me black out. But why would he do that without making it clear that was what he was about to do? I couldn't think of any good reason why he would have deliberately blacked me out when I was about to go into the OR and be put under. It was only later that this metastasized into anger.

To a lesser degree, I am deeply concerned and distressed about whatever I might have said while amnesic. I have no idea what incredibly embarrassing or incriminating personal facts I might have shared while I was out that I would not have shared if it hadn't been administered to me. Supposedly nothing out of sorts happened, but I'm supposed to just trust the doctors who I couldn't trust to tell me when they were going to incapacitate me?

Unfortunately, I don't think a court would put much monetary value on either of those.

---

It hasn't come across very well, but I really have taken the (legal) knowledge I've been given to heart and don't think there's any real possibility I'll be able to force an apology out of them through any civil action. Particularly, xxEightxx's explanation caused a click in my utilitarian soul that eliminated any desire on my part to try to pursue legal action. I'm pissed as gently caress at the means they used, but I'm forced to admit that the end medical result wasn't bad. I am probably going to settle for writing a letter specifically to the anesthesiologist and nurse explaining why I'm upset with their actions and asking them to give people a heads-up in the future before they render them insensible.

Edit:

What Fun posted:

Please do not labor under the pretense that you're fighting for somebody else - this is a personal issue of yours that might be best worked out in group/therapy setting.
Ironically, if I took your suggestion and decided to go to therapy as a result of how upset I was by the experience, I would have damages I could put a number on.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 30, 2012

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Gobbeldygook posted:

That was quite helpful, thank you. I'm surprised there's no way for me to read that description of informed consent without using Lexis or dropping by a legal library. "The Court does not prepare or publish a compilation of its Missouri Approved Instructions for civil cases. Nevertheless, such compilations are available from various commercial and other entities."

I'm sure you are a lovely person Gobbeldygook but this right here is what kills me. Just because the law is written in English and a person has a right to represent themselves, does not make them a lawyer. I deal every day with clients who google poo poo and want me to take a case to the Supreme Court on some misunderstanding of the law.

No one walks in the the OR and says "Doc, I know you've performed this surgery 100x before but this time lets do it my way". "I saw a great site that said blah blah".

Edit: On second thought, you are doing that. You paid an anesthesiologist to knock you out so you didn't feel it when you were cut open. He/she did that but your freaked out about how he/she did it. He/she knocked you out and woke you back up. With what medical training do you judge the anesthesiologists use of medicine? Get over yourself.

Roger_Mudd fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 30, 2012

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Diplomaticus posted:

Jesus christ, no for the love of God just loving stop. IIED/NIED cases have one of the toughest evidentiary barriers to prove precisely because idiots like you like to make those cases when nothing else works. 99.999999999% of the time, IIED/NIED is going to be an incidental claim on top of some other intentional tort. Which we've already told you, you don't have. Which should tell you, you don't have an emotional distress claim either.

You have something like a dozen lawyers in this thread telling you that you are wrong. You won't admit it. You're like Pooky except worse.

Just. loving. Let it go.

I actually had a pretty solid IIED claim come up about 5 years ago, but it's so hard to prove damages (and the guy was likely judgment proof anyways) that it wasn't worth pursuing. I sort of wish I had anyways just because they're so rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

E: nevermind you're a retard and all the effort on the world would be lost on you

One time I had surgery and I told a nurse in a stage whisper "I don't give no fucks!" Because Versed is hilarious and you obviously hate life.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 30, 2012