Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
I thought this was going to be a major rewrite. Super disappointed its just a new UI on top of the old poo poo. It's still awful on Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Collias posted:

Anyone know if there's a way to bring back the length of tracks in the status bar, specifically for podcasts? I'm ocd about syncing podcasts and like to see how many episodes I'll be listening at work within the span of x hours.

edit: It looks like it was only removed for podcasts, the one thing I use itunes for. Good. I'm sure Apple created a lot of nerd rage with this.

I'm not sure what you mean. I still see the length of tracks on podcasts.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Seems snappier. I like it...but wifi synching still doesn't work.

Starting to think its my computer or wifi network.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It seems like you can only do this in Song or Playlist view now.

Great, I don't use playlists and don't listen to singles.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Why did they take the album artwork out of the list view? That is like 90% of my playlists. If I go to artist view then I lose last played, play count, etc etc.

I'm not happy with this update yet.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I probably won't update but in case I change my mind later for whatever reason; does this update change music streaming in any way? Specifically with apps like Playback that have iTunes support. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this yet, I wouldn't want my music streaming get screwed if I decided to update for whatever reason.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
OK, I really dig this new album view. When the color detection works well it looks amazing.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

AlmightyBob posted:

Great, I don't use playlists and don't listen to singles.

"Song View" is just the same spreadsheet model that's always existed. I even have my column browser in place like I did before I upgraded. If that information is important to you (playcounts, last played, etc. are important to me), just use that view and play your albums the way you always did.

The "old school" list view is still available, they've just reduced its prominence in favor of the type of UI currently in fashion.

IUG posted:

Why did they take the album artwork out of the list view? That is like 90% of my playlists. If I go to artist view then I lose last played, play count, etc etc.

I'm not happy with this update yet.

If you primarily rely on playlists, you can change the view from "List" to "Grid" to "Artist List" -- which includes the album art, along with all the other data.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 30, 2012

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Modern Leper posted:

If you primarily rely on playlists, you can change the view from "List" to "Grid" to "Artist List" -- which includes the album art, along with all the other data.

Right, but Artist List view doesn't show last played, play count, etc.

EDIT: The Status Bar is completely useless and blank in Grid and Artist List view.

IUG fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 30, 2012

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Found the first thing that annoys me: in the "On this iPod" view on the device page, you can't resize or rearrange the columns. You can remove and re-add them, and the auto-sizing function works, but you can't adjust anything yourself.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

IUG posted:

Right, but Artist List view doesn't show last played, play count, etc.

EDIT: The Status Bar is completely useless and blank in Grid and Artist List view.

Ugh, you're right. It's like Zune or Spotify: once the song's in the system, it's as if all underlying data ceases to exist. I didn't like it with those programs, and it's actually one reason I started using iTunes again about a month ago.

Dammit, Apple - your users are smart enough to do some things outside a walled garden of aesthetics.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

The rear end Stooge posted:

OK, I really dig this new album view. When the color detection works well it looks amazing.
It's pretty, but a pain in the rear end if you want to scroll through your music. I prefer artist view.

Anyways, I really like the new look, and Up Next has been needed forever.

Gio fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 30, 2012

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Hotwax Residue posted:

Hmmm. I guess I shouldn't change the tags

Sorry to string replies, but you can hide the Cloud tracks. If you choose the option to show the menu button, there's an option under the view tab to hide music in the cloud.

Showing the menu bar also appears to be the only way to access the visualizer and equalizer without keyboard shortcuts. :smith:

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Ugh, why would iTunes 11 completely remove grid view for artists. It was one of my favorite features and a reason I really liked using it over something like foobar. Now the artists are just listed in a list. Ugh.

Alternatively, the "Up Next" feature looks really neat and useful. Whoever described updates to iTunes though as legislation is correct though.

edit: Hitting the start genius button didn't do anything. Had to manually make a genius playlist. And then going from playlist tab to artist tab resets artist tab and doesn't keep my place. These things are kind of annoying.

edit 2: Oh, the new way they handle genius is that you hit "Start Genius" and the songs get put into the "Up Next" menu. That'...cool I guess. I'm not sure how I feel about this. However, the separated nature of all parts of iTunes isn't all that great with it not really "saving" where you are on one screen to the next. And the fact that you can't have the views be the same across the board if you wanted (it's Apple's way or the no way).

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 30, 2012

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Modern Leper posted:

Ugh, you're right. It's like Zune or Spotify: once the song's in the system, it's as if all underlying data ceases to exist. I didn't like it with those programs, and it's actually one reason I started using iTunes again about a month ago.

Dammit, Apple - your users are smart enough to do some things outside a walled garden of aesthetics.

The info's there, but only in list view. In which case the only album art you can see is that tiny album of what's playing. There's no way to see your albums in list view anymore.

Also something unrelated. I just bought a few Rifftrax Shorts, and put them in my Movies library. The odd thing is that they got added as "Home Videos" for some reason. :confused:

EDIT: Argh, Grid View won't follow the focus from one album to another album when the album you are playing from is done playing it's songs. So I have full random on, so when a song is done from that CD and it goes to the next song in another album, it's still focused on the previous album. If there is only one song in that album and it finishes playing then the drat pane just closes and you're looking at a random spot in the grid now.

IUG fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 30, 2012

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Is there any performance/general improvement on OS X?
Or is it purely a new UI skin?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I hold on to the old ways as best as I am able to. :colbert:

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm so glad you can finally queue up a song to play next. And I've managed to make the UI go back to the old style, which I am happy about. I just wish you could get the album art to show up in the sidebar again.

edit: Actually, is there a way to get shuffle to switch between albums in album view mode?

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

The cover art magic doesn't work for albums where individual tracks have different artwork.

I wish they had made it so changes to metadata are written in the background so it doesn't make the whole app unusable while it writes the new coverart or year or whatever.

~Coxy posted:

Is there any performance/general improvement on OS X?
Or is it purely a new UI skin?

The Verge say it's faster, but it seems the same to me. I never had problems with it though.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Holy poo poo having my entire library on iCloud instead of my MacBook Air is a godsend.

Look at all those albums in the glorious ~*~*~*~CLOUD~*~*~*~

The interface is snazzy too.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Was it someone in here who was complaining about albums being displayed in alphabetical order (instead of by release date) and triggering their OCD?

Go to View->View Options and you can change how albums are sorted.

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 30, 2012

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Collias posted:

Anyone know if there's a way to bring back the length of tracks in the status bar, specifically for podcasts? I'm ocd about syncing podcasts and like to see how many episodes I'll be listening at work within the span of x hours.

edit: It looks like it was only removed for podcasts, the one thing I use itunes for. Good. I'm sure Apple created a lot of nerd rage with this.

Just click the time remaining to toggle it to total time.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

DarkJC posted:

Was it someone in here who was complaining about albums being displayed in alphabetical order (instead of by release date) and triggering their OCD?

Go to View->View Options and you can change how albums are sorted.

I was spergin about this but when I select by year and by title the newest ones are at the bottom which doesn't make much sense to me. We used to be able to switch around but I guess that got lost somewhere. Maybe 11.0.1 adds some stuff back.

The only other gripes I have are that you can't resize the album view and that the dark background is gone but with the new fancy album view that is to be expected.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Jesus dick I hate this update. The old iTunes was way easier and simpler to use. I had all my stuff on the sidebar, including music, movies, and playlists. Now in order to go from my library to playlists I have to click on some other tab? Also have they really gotten rid of being able to see the album artwork in Song list view? I really don't like using Album View because I have about a thousand different albums with one or two songs on them so it's really unwieldy. Artist View is slightly better but annoying if you're looking for albums with multiple artists.

No idea why they completely overhauled everything, it was perfect and simple the way it used to be. Is there any way to make iTunes looks approximate to what it once was?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The closest thing you can do is browse by "songs" and also go to View - Show Sidebar. I haven't figured out the album art thing yet.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
I actually love this update, it's so much nicer to use than the last iTunes. Bye Sonora.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Yeah this update brought a bunch of nice improvements. I'm not sure what's so unsatisfactory about the artists view, you get your artwork beside the songs.

Cool little trick I just found: holding down shift turns the little play button that pops up beside albums and artists into a + to quickly add to Play Next.

edit: And the longer I go without the sidebar the less I miss it.

vvv It wouldn't be iTunes without some kind of scroll bar inconsistency

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Seems faster to me. Hopefully this was just step 1 in a multi-step rewrite (it makes sense they'd focus on the UI first since that's the part that people see).

However, I've noticed the scroll bars don't expand like they should when you mouse over them in Mountain Lion. WTF.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My god, it actually keeps all TV shows from a series together, with season subheadings now. Best update ever.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Mu Zeta posted:

The closest thing you can do is browse by "songs" and also go to View - Show Sidebar. I haven't figured out the album art thing yet.

Oh, duh, I missed that! Thanks, that's pretty much everything I needed, aside from showing album artwork.

Never mind I guess this update is only moderately disappointing.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.

Holy hell, add me to the album view lover's club! I barely use itunes, but I'm loving the aesthetics for it.

I definitely want to add more albums on here and see what it would generate.

Some of these are just pretty. :3:

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I noticed that the Column Browser had more options than before and was clicking around, turning things on and off. I turned on 'categories' and found that only 1 song was assigned one. Trying to tidy this up, I went into 'get info' and hunted around for the field. Can't find it. Am I missing something?

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
Well, poo poo. They've just made iTunes useless to me.

I was really looking forward to this update, I use ratings a lot (rate all my music for smart playlist purposes) and having the ratings accessible via the mini player was a really key feature that I was looking forward to.

But they removed iTunes DJ.

This makes it impossible to do what I've been doing for years (can't even bring myself to use iTunes at all because it's so broken). My smart playlist includes rated songs as well as unrated, and I change the ratings on the fly often (song has been played too many times, really getting into this song etc). For this I need to feed the smart playlist through a STATIC playlist so that changing the rating doesn't remove the song from the playlist (ratings are limited by number to rotate higher rated songs more frequently).

So what happens now? I rate a song and the playlist dies, stops dead. Also, I *have* to rate a song while it's playing now, because the 5 most recently played songs are no longer visible because that was an iTunes DJ feature as well.

WHY WHY WHY DID THEY GET RID OF THE MOST IMPORTANT FEATURE IN ITUNES???

Seriously. First iOS 6 and Apple maps, and now this. What loving retarded idiot fired all Apple's decent application designers and replaced them with a load of brain dead monkeys?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tenterhooks posted:

I noticed that the Column Browser had more options than before and was clicking around, turning things on and off. I turned on 'categories' and found that only 1 song was assigned one. Trying to tidy this up, I went into 'get info' and hunted around for the field. Can't find it. Am I missing something?

Appears to be for podcasts? I don't think you can edit that info.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

Mu Zeta posted:

Appears to be for podcasts? I don't think you can edit that info.

That's weird. Just noticed that you can only turn on 'categories' in the column browser in Playlist view but not Songs view. I guess it's for creating Podcast playlists or something. The media kind is definitely set to 'music' on the track in question, guess it's just messed up. Ach, who cares. For a moment, I thought I was gonna get another level of metadata that I could use for assigning countries or some other dorky sorting method - eg. Genre = Rock 'n' Roll / Groupings = Girl Groups / Categories = French.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Betjeman posted:

Also, I *have* to rate a song while it's playing now, because the 5 most recently played songs are no longer visible because that was an iTunes DJ feature as well.
There's a history button in the "up next" popover window. Not sure if you can rate from there, though.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

PFlats posted:

There's a history button in the "up next" popover window. Not sure if you can rate from there, though.

Hmm ok, it's now like five clicks instead of one and it was nice to be able to visually see which songs I forgot to rate because they're no longer right in front of me. But it may be a vague workaround.

Arrgh there's no equivalent to itunes DJ refresh either, clicking clear just removes all songs from up next. They removed something that did so much, so well, for so many different purposes. And replaced it with something you only have to sneeze at to break.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

After playing with it some more I'm pretty content with the update. That said, I hope they keep this up and work on iTunes Match next. The fact you can't edit or manage smart playlists from anywhere BUT iTunes is ridiculous. It'll never happen, but I would love for the iOS app to "subscribe" to a smart playlist and auto-update/download any new tracks that met the rules on a daily basis or some set interval kind how the rest of iCloud syncing works.

Hell, I would love to see the music app on iOS to reflect on of the changes this brought. (The remote app already does)

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 30, 2012

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Well overall I'm happy with the update, but with one major exception: I can't seem to sync my iPhone and iPad anymore. I get an error every time saying that it can't sync apps because it can't determine what apps I have installed. I couldn't seem to find a way to just have it ignore apps and sync everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Master_Odin posted:

edit 2: Oh, the new way they handle genius is that you hit "Start Genius" and the songs get put into the "Up Next" menu. That'...cool I guess. I'm not sure how I feel about this.
For "old genius", click the > in the song name field and choose Create Genius Playlist.

Also I noticed if you click the album art in the main play window (center of the top bar, it pops up a not-so-mini player.