Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Cizzo posted:

The blacks and reds don't require as much force as the blues and browns to actuate.

I thought blacks were much heavier than reds, blues, or browns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

According to Deskthority,
Reds are a linear switch that takes 45 cN.
Browns are a tactile bump switch that takes 45 cN.
Blues are a clicky switch that takes 50 cN.
Blacks are a linear switch that takes 60 cN.
Greens are a clicky switch that takes 80 cN.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Thanks a lot guys! I'll probably get a blue or brown mechanical keyboard, specifically the Coolermaster quickfire pro, as it seems to be a decent entry point at around $100 (Australia) and I feel at that price I can use it for a while and then see how I go.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

HalloKitty posted:

I thought blacks were much heavier than reds, blues, or browns.

Internet Friend posted:

For some reason I thought blacks had the same cN as the reds.

Apparently I'm a dummy.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
And there is zero tactile bump. They are linear.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Internet Friend posted:

This should probably go into the OP! Good stuff.
I really want to try out blue vs. green now. Getting pretty sick of reds.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6475/capsule-review-rosewills-illuminated-keyboard-and-rk9000bri-keyboard

Anandtech reviewed a Rosewill illuminated board. Seems solid.

I think tonight when I go home, I'll write a draft for a new keyboard OP.

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Phone posted:

I think tonight when I go home, I'll write a draft for a new keyboard OP.

Don't forget to include baller-rear end topre switches: for those of us who have money to waste and a terrible keyboard addiction.

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train
I'm looking for the very best keyboard for typing words in English; it's how I make my living. I type thousands of words a day, sometimes tens of thousands during bad times. Right now I'm using a chiclet-style Logitech, a small wireless model, and I can't help but think things could be better. Three requirements: a) Windows key b) Must be available on Amazon (preferably) or Newegg c) Under although -ish is a lot more palatable. Also, I'd like to have it by two weeks. Wireless would be nice as well but it's by no means necessary.

I'm looking at the Das Keyboard Ultimate (the one with the key labels). Any other suggestions?

I remember having a Model M in my childhood... I took it apart one day and somehow broke it. Oh, I do some online FPS gaming sometimes, do clicky keys make a big difference negatively or otherwise?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Newegg: Rosewill
Amazon: CM Rapid Fire
Elitekeyboards: Leopold

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

asaf posted:

I'm looking for the very best keyboard for typing words in English; it's how I make my living. I type thousands of words a day, sometimes tens of thousands during bad times. Right now I'm using a chiclet-style Logitech, a small wireless model, and I can't help but think things could be better. Three requirements: a) Windows key b) Must be available on Amazon (preferably) or Newegg c) Under although -ish is a lot more palatable. Also, I'd like to have it by two weeks. Wireless would be nice as well but it's by no means necessary.

I'm looking at the Das Keyboard Ultimate (the one with the key labels). Any other suggestions?

I remember having a Model M in my childhood... I took it apart one day and somehow broke it. Oh, I do some online FPS gaming sometimes, do clicky keys make a big difference negatively or otherwise?

Well, first off, if you're just doing light gaming (or moderate, or even heavy), blues/clickys are not going to make much of a difference. It's such a small accentuated difference you'll probably never ever care. I love my blues for FPS gaming, but, I can say that reds are better (very, VERY small margin though)

If you use a numpad, look for a tenkey keyboard.

Good OEMs for decent 10key boards are: Filco, Rosewill, Das Keyboard, Leopold, and Ducky.

Some good tenkeyless (no numpad) models are: CMSTORM Quickfire Rapid, Filco TKL, realforce, etc.

Though, one caveat -- if you really want THE BEST keyboard, and don't mind paying, check out a Topre Realforce keyboard. They're like very good feeling membrane keyboards with a mix of a bit of Cherry keys.

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

Hoo hoo, the Topre is really pretty expensive for the tenkeyed model. I use the numpad occasionally so the CM is out; guess I'll go with the Rosewill or again the Das. Thanks.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

asaf posted:

I'm looking for the very best keyboard for typing words in English

That would technically not be QWERTY, then; but avoiding that old chestnut, I can say that the Truly Ergonomic comes to me recommended personally, although the modified auxiliary key positions may not be for everyone; but in pure terms of key reach and so on, it has to be close to optimal. The company has poor customer service, however.
If only the company didn't ignore every question, offered custom keycaps for their awkward key positions, and actually released their software to customise the layout in hardware, I'd be on the TE too.

Edit: ah, with a numpad. Well, you can always buy a numpad, so that shouldn't throw you off a keyboard.
Don't forget WASD Keyboards, too, they'll happily make you what you want. Same OEM as Filco and DAS, etc (Costar).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Nov 29, 2012

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I'd recommend a Filco Majestouch if you want a mechanical keyboard. Or if you want a Topre, Elitekeyboards has a fullsize one but I've never used it (or any Topre for that matter).
Das Keyboard has pretty bad build quality so best stay away from it.

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KaneTW posted:

Das Keyboard has pretty bad build quality so best stay away from it.

:psyduck:

Costar makes Das boards

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I'm pretty sure someone posted in this thread that the build quality was shoddy.

E: Ok, nevermind. Must've been some other manufacturer.

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 29, 2012

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I have a Das Keyboard and the thing is really solid, and actually is built to survive liquid spills, so I'm not sure what they're talking about.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

asaf posted:

I remember having a Model M in my childhood... I took it apart one day and somehow broke it.
You should get one of the other keyboards in Blues or Browns for doing real work, but if you have some money to blow on nostalgia this company still makes the Model M. They're a bit stiff to type 10,000 plus words a day on IMO, but switches are all down to personal preference.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

asaf posted:

I'm looking for the very best keyboard for typing words in English; it's how I make my living.

It's quite possibly the Kinesis Advantage.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Yea as I said, my memory is horrible and I confused it with something else.

Theonlydk
Jul 29, 2003
The only Dk here!

DarkJC posted:

I have a Das Keyboard and the thing is really solid, and actually is built to survive liquid spills, so I'm not sure what they're talking about.

I have a Das as well and it has survived a spill (sugary energy drink). It has always felt solid and well put together to me as well.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Shitposting from a newly unboxed RealForce 87U - it's ... not like typing on something I've used before. It doesn't feel anything like a Cherry Brown, nor Blue, and it doesn't feel like a rubber dome. The action is super light, and I'm going to have to teach myself to stop bottoming out. Jesus...:catdrugs:

Oh, the alt keys are loving huge, so it's easier to use this on my mac (with remapped keys) than expected.

Edit: After thinking about it for a bit, I would say this keyboard isn't worth the $239 I paid for it. $100 is a more realistic figure, so I really wonder what the markup is.

krooj fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 30, 2012

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I still haven't decided if I like my cherry blues or my realforce 87u better.

I like the tactility of the Blues, but the realforce just feels so SMOOTH.

I can't decide which is more natural/better feeling though. I really like my numpad on my Ducky Shine :P

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

KaneTW posted:

I'm pretty sure someone posted in this thread that the build quality was shoddy.

E: Ok, nevermind. Must've been some other manufacturer.

Probably Razer.
(which is sad because they're one of the only manufacturers making Mac boards.)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

This keyboard just got here. I like it for $55, although I'd prefer the backlight covered the whole keyboard. The key caps feel a little powdery/slick, I'm not sure how I feel about that but they could be better. The body is nice and solid with good construction, yet it sits a tad bit too high off the desk as it makes my wrists inclined when I'm feeling lazy.

I'm surprised at how loud the Cherry Brown is. Perhaps I'm just mis-remembering, but it's about 75% as noisy as my old Spacespacer M and that's a good thing. I don't think I'd want it much louder. The tactile feedback is really subtle and I can't really tell it's there most of the time. I'm not sure how much it actually adds.

I wish I was able to test out other Cherry switches for comparison in person but I may give the Reds a go next.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

~Coxy posted:

Probably Razer.
(which is sad because they're one of the only manufacturers making Mac boards.)

Yeah, that was it. For some reason anything involving "Das <something>"/"Uber<something>" is associated with overpriced gamer stuff for me.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Xaris posted:

This keyboard just got here. I like it for $55, although I'd prefer the backlight covered the whole keyboard. The key caps feel a little powdery/slick, I'm not sure how I feel about that but they could be better. The body is nice and solid with good construction, yet it sits a tad bit too high off the desk as it makes my wrists inclined when I'm feeling lazy.

I'm surprised at how loud the Cherry Brown is. Perhaps I'm just mis-remembering, but it's about 75% as noisy as my old Spacespacer M and that's a good thing. I don't think I'd want it much louder. The tactile feedback is really subtle and I can't really tell it's there most of the time. I'm not sure how much it actually adds.

I wish I was able to test out other Cherry switches for comparison in person but I may give the Reds a go next.

The sound you're hearing on the browns is probably from the key bottoming out and not from the key actuating, which is extremely quiet. Especially if you're used to buckling spring switches, the significantly lighter springs on most Cherry switches might require some major readjustment. Cherry reds are extremely similar to Cherry browns except they don't have the tactile bump.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 30, 2012

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
So is the das keyboard worth the extra coin over the rosewill 9000(non-illuminated)?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I found a Model M 1390120 with a birthday of 09MAY86 in a barn, that makes it 4 months older than me. After tracking down an AT to PS/2 adaptor... it works!

Care and feeding has begun, with the case off it I was surprised to find the barrel plate isn't cracked after 26 and a half years, though a lot of the plastic rivets have come off. I'm going to clean it and bolt mod it.

Do you guys think I can use a Unicomp membrane in it without having to replace the controller as well? Their membrane seems to correct some of the worst 2KRO-related clashes, one I can think of being WAR. I do need to call them about getting a new Left Ctrl key since you can't order them directly off their site, I guess I can ask them when I do.

One thing I have noticed right off the bat is how much quieter it is compared to my Unicomp. It has the exact same typefeel, but has a higher pitched ping that is not as loud.

Some pictures of the newest addition to my keyboard family sorry for the tiny thumbnails but imgur seems unwilling to make the larger ones right now:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So I have a Rosewill 9000 from before they fixed the usb port and sure enough, it popped off from the board. How am I supposed to get the case off of this thing to re-solder it? I can get it 3/4 of the way off, but the joint right below the spacebar won't seem to come apart. Am I supposed to pull it up, or just rip it off or something? I don't want to break the thing.

Grimey
Jan 25, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

So I have a Rosewill 9000 from before they fixed the usb port and sure enough, it popped off from the board. How am I supposed to get the case off of this thing to re-solder it? I can get it 3/4 of the way off, but the joint right below the spacebar won't seem to come apart. Am I supposed to pull it up, or just rip it off or something? I don't want to break the thing.

Use a butter knife or something to try the clam shell apart. The case comes in two pieces that kind of snap together. If you work around it with something like a butter knife of pudding knife or what have you, you can get it to pop apart.

I just fixed this exact issue for a buddy today. The usb attachment point had come loose and one of the pins had pulled itself loose. I just stripped down his USB cable, soldered it directly onto the board and epoxied the cable onto the top of the pcb. I probably could have returned it to removable cable option again, but it didn't seem worth the work honestly. I am somewhat surprised this made it out to the market, this connector was really weakly attached.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Is there a good wireless/bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo? I'd like something that has more than a 5 foot range. My wife's computer is downstairs on the TV, and it's a pain in the loving rear end when the one we have keeps going in and out. We can stretch the dongle way out, but I always trip over the fucker and don't want to destroy her front USB ports.

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

So I think I've decided on a Cherry Blue version of the Rosewill 9000 in lieu of the Das Keyboard Model S Professional based on a $33 price differential. I probably use media keys maybe once or twice a week, and I don't need a USB hub, so would I really miss out on anything by going for the Rosewill? The "traditional" shape vs. the Das is also a little more appealing to me.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

asaf posted:

So I think I've decided on a Cherry Blue version of the Rosewill 9000 in lieu of the Das Keyboard Model S Professional based on a $33 price differential. I probably use media keys maybe once or twice a week, and I don't need a USB hub, so would I really miss out on anything by going for the Rosewill? The "traditional" shape vs. the Das is also a little more appealing to me.

You should be fine with the Rosewill, some of the older ones had an issue with the USB plug but as far as I know it's been fixed or reinforced. I see they're 15% off right now bringing it to about $85, but newegg often has 20% off, and sometimes even more beyond that, though the lowest I've seen was about $64 and it's usually just on one switch type. It's probably not worth waiting for the extra sale unless it's a very low priority purchase.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Does anyone have any input on: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Razer+-...board&cp=1&lp=1

E: I'm pretty sure this keyboard has blue switches. It said 50nm or something on the back of the box. I like the backlit keys feature, which at least puts it in the same price range as the Rosewill backlit.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 4, 2012

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

Does anyone have any input on: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Razer+-...board&cp=1&lp=1

I know it's so :pcgaming: and it's a Razer, but I really would like a new keyboard, and I can actually go pick this one up today which is nice.

E: I'm pretty sure this keyboard has blue switches. It said 50nm or something on the back of the box. I like the backlit keys feature, which at least puts it in the same price range as the Rosewill.

It's not a bad keyboard by any means, but the general recommendation is that if you are willing to spend upwards of $150, you can do better. If memory serves, Widows ship with browns. If you want Browns and a backlit keyboard with some of the 'gaming' keys, then it's a fine keyboard, but if gaming keys aren't your thing and backlighting is null point, then I'd rather look into Filco, Leopold, Das, etc. Also, with those vendors, you get your choice of switches, which is a major selling point of mech keyboards to begin with.

E: The Blackwidow Stealths ship with browns and the vanilla BlackWidows ship with blues. To that end, you are right.

E2: Also, if n-key rollover is a thing you like, It's worth noting that they don't ship with PS/2 ports.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 4, 2012

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Knyteguy posted:

E: I'm pretty sure this keyboard has blue switches. It said 50nm or something on the back of the box. I like the backlit keys feature, which at least puts it in the same price range as the Rosewill backlit.

Shouldn't be your first choice; build quality's not great and there are some other issues that I forget off the top of my head. That being said, I'm using the one with blue backlighting right now and it's a fine keyboard really. If you get it, you won't have a bad experience, just you can do better.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

It's not a bad keyboard by any means, but the general recommendation is that if you are willing to spend upwards of $150, you can do better. If memory serves, Widows ship with browns. If you want Browns and a backlit keyboard with some of the 'gaming' keys, then it's a fine keyboard, but if gaming keys aren't your thing and backlighting is null point, then I'd rather look into Filco, Leopold, Das, etc. Also, with those vendors, you get your choice of switches, which is a major selling point of mech keyboards to begin with.

No, they're definitely blues, they are clicky as hell and probably the one thing I unreservedly love about mine.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

E: The Blackwidow Stealths ship with browns and the vanilla BlackWidows ship with blues. To that end, you are right.

E2: Also, if n-key rollover is a thing you like, It's worth noting that they don't ship with PS/2 ports.

Yea I'm not huge on the gaming keys, but I might be able to use them for work or Photoshop or something. I was familiar with Das but it's a little too utilitarian for me (dedicated media keys on any of these keyboards would be really nice). I was hoping there would be a slightly cheaper alternative or at least a brand alternative I could find with brown switches in town, but it looks like this will be the one I'm getting.

I can't really think of any reason I would use n-key rollover since I've never had it. I've generally stuck with $15.00 keyboards so this will be something really new for me. I always thought gaming keyboards were for the same people who put huge spoilers on their stock 1980s Hondas. I still sort of think that, but at least this is a mechanical :).

Thank you for your input.

neongrey posted:

Shouldn't be your first choice; build quality's not great and there are some other issues that I forget off the top of my head. That being said, I'm using the one with blue backlighting right now and it's a fine keyboard really. If you get it, you won't have a bad experience, just you can do better.

Thanks. It's not my first choice, but it's probably the most convenient one. My keyboard is just about finished (the wireless function hardly works 6" from the receiver with new batteries) and I pretty much need a working keyboard at all times for my job. Hopefully I have a similar experience to you.

Slark
Nov 29, 2012

Fast as Wind
Silent as Forest
Ferocious as Fire
Immovable as Mountain
I love mechanical keyboard, currently I'm using Logitech K120 which I guess it's the cheapest one among its brand, but I found the typing feeling is really good as long as you don't have long finger nails. I mostly use this keyboard for programming works, so it should be a decent one in terms of performance/cost ratio if you don't have high demand for gaming. :mmmhmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Knyteguy posted:

Yea I'm not huge on the gaming keys, but I might be able to use them for work or Photoshop or something. I was familiar with Das but it's a little too utilitarian for me (dedicated media keys on any of these keyboards would be really nice). I was hoping there would be a slightly cheaper alternative or at least a brand alternative I could find with brown switches in town, but it looks like this will be the one I'm getting.

I can't really think of any reason I would use n-key rollover since I've never had it. I've generally stuck with $15.00 keyboards so this will be something really new for me. I always thought gaming keyboards were for the same people who put huge spoilers on their stock 1980s Hondas. I still sort of think that, but at least this is a mechanical :).

Thank you for your input.

Thanks. It's not my first choice, but it's probably the most convenient one. My keyboard is just about finished (the wireless function hardly works 6" from the receiver with new batteries) and I pretty much need a working keyboard at all times for my job. Hopefully I have a similar experience to you.

Yeah, it'll do you fine then, I got mine in store because I thought my solar keyboard had a dud battery (of course once I replaced it and I just started using the thing for my laptop, it worked a million times better than before) and needed a keyboard fast. It's got your standard media functions along the F-keys, too, so you've got that.

One of my keys has never lit up but :effort:, it's done me well in all other regards.

• Locked thread