Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Chef Boyardee posted:

Hmmm, according to internal projections we will make enough money to buy Moldova, which happens to be a stretch goal.

Well, I was wrong and Shalinor was right. It did make $40k easy (in the first 24 hours), but it did not make $70k as I dumbly claimed. So I guess Shalinor owes me a custom title, and I owe Chef Boyardee&co. (Tales of Game's) some money.

Seriously, thank you everybody!!!!!!!!!

We can only reach deeper into our cyberwallets if you offer up some stretchgoals for us to grab for. Like a remake of the original game included with the second, or the aforementioned gold cartridges with your names spray-painted all over them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

A reskin of the original that infringes on no copyrights and has actually good, original graphics would be quite surreal to play. I doubt the TOG team can spare that much manpower, though.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Chef Boyardee posted:

Hahaha, it's not that. I am just astounded that there are 91 people who thought it was a good idea. We're actually getting one today, hopefully it looks completely ridiculous.

Please do a video review of it so you can sell me on the quality, I'm on the fence of going to $100.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lurdiak posted:

A reskin of the original that infringes on no copyrights and has actually good, original graphics would be quite surreal to play. I doubt the TOG team can spare that much manpower, though.

I don't want to play a Shut Up and Jam Gaiden that infringes on no copyrights.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
I have wanted nothing more in my entire life then a Cyberdwarf bodypillow.

nothing

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

evilmiera posted:

We can only reach deeper into our cyberwallets if you offer up some stretchgoals for us to grab for. Like a remake of the original game included with the second, or the aforementioned gold cartridges with your names spray-painted all over them.

A Zelda-like gold cart of the game that works on a real SNES.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

univbee posted:

This would be god drat incredible.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

univbee posted:

Option for a gold cart that works on a real Super Famicom, with all dialogue and menu text translated into Japanese.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

Option for a gold cart that works on a real Super Famicom, with all dialogue and menu text translated into Japanese.

魔法のレルムのティル・ナ・ノーグ:ネクロン7からの脱走:クー・フーリンの報復:映画からのゲーム:「第2目」のフープス・バークレーの武勇伝 (note: this is almost guaranteed to be terrible Japanese)

univbee fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 30, 2012

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Going to steal some of boyardees thunder, but they just put this pic on twitter.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Ironic unironic cutoff jean jorts.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Al! posted:

Ironic unironic cutoff jean jorts.

Those are knee holes.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Donated as promised!

Also, for you people that haven't played the first game, DO IT NOW. It's a great RPG, never gets old, and can be fully completed in about 10 hours or so.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Jibo posted:

Those are knee holes.

Pledge withdrawn.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I'm a little relieved to see that those are Cyberdwarf knees, and that he is not, as I had previously thought, flossing his Cyberdwarf asscrack with a sheet.

I never thought I'd be in a position where the sight of a bodypillow would make me feel better.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
That blush is so moe (T/N: moe is an elusive concept that cannot be properly expressed in any language other than Japanese)

joneswt
Feb 22, 2011

Charles Martel posted:

Donated as promised!

Also, for you people that haven't played the first game, DO IT NOW. It's a great RPG, never gets old, and can be fully completed in about 10 hours or so.

Huh, the music isn't working for me at all. Sound effects and the opening voice-over are fine, but no music. Any ideas?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

univbee posted:

魔法のレルムのティル・ナ・ノーグ:ネクロン7からの脱走:クー・フーリンの報復:映画からのゲーム:「第2目」のフープス・バークレーの武勇伝 (note: this is almost guaranteed to be terrible Japanese)

"Berkeley Fupusu saga of "eyes" second games: from the movie Revenge: Fuling Khoo: Escape from Nekuron 7 Tir Na nOg the realm of magic"

Seems fine to me! :v:

Durp
Jan 6, 2008
I think I get it now.
Seeing that pillow almost makes me want to up my pledge :stare:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Please use all of your future millions dollars to license the space jam soundtrack thanks.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Haa poo poo, I thought "cyberdwarf body pillow" meant it was a regular pillowcase (because dwarves are short), and not an actual full-length body pillow.

edit:

Waterbed posted:

Please use all of your future millions dollars to license the space jam soundtrack thanks.

Also this, please.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I just wanted to chime in again to say that the $1000 reward is amazing, and if I was an eccentric wealthy person I would've jumped on it before someone else could.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

Cream_Filling posted:

Haa poo poo, I thought "cyberdwarf body pillow" meant it was a regular pillowcase (because dwarves are short), and not an actual full-length body pillow.

Haha that would almost be better.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Oh, also, what's this "GW" people keep talking about?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Cream_Filling posted:

Hes an AI put in place by the Patriots to monitor and control all internet chatter. GW was The Colonel the whole time, Raiden never interacted with the real Campbell at any point in the game.

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face
Is anyone else having trouble playing the original? I get the same error for both versions - it seems to sit at at the "Warning: The game you are about to play is canon." loading screen for ages. I've left it running for a half hour or so and nothing happens.

I've tried this in OSX 10.8.2 and WIndows 7 (running on Parallels), One interesting note: I get encryption errors trying to extract the Windows version of the game.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Decline posted:

Is anyone else having trouble playing the original? I get the same error for both versions - it seems to sit at at the "Warning: The game you are about to play is canon." loading screen for ages. I've left it running for a half hour or so and nothing happens.

I've tried this in OSX 10.8.2 and WIndows 7 (running on Parallels), One interesting note: I get encryption errors trying to extract the Windows version of the game.

This is a strange error and it could be a number of things. First, try restarting your computer. There is a known but fairly infrequent error that has to do with supersound.dll. It goes away if you restart your computer and we have no idea why it happens.

A guy emailed me yesterday with this exact same problem and it was because he wasn't hitting the right keys. I'm assuming this isn't your problem, but just in case, the confirmation button is Z.

This may be something entirely new and if neither of these things work, I can contact Leon and let him know about it.

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face

Chef Boyardee posted:

This is a strange error and it could be a number of things. First, try restarting your computer. There is a known but fairly infrequent error that has to do with supersound.dll. It goes away if you restart your computer and we have no idea why it happens.

A guy emailed me yesterday with this exact same problem and it was because he wasn't hitting the right keys. I'm assuming this isn't your problem, but just in case, the confirmation button is Z.

This may be something entirely new and if neither of these things work, I can contact Leon and let him know about it.

I'm an idiot. I thought the spinning basketball was a loading icon, not a button prompt. Everything seems to be working great now.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

Serious answer, it was one of the biggest hubs for amateur game making, especially RPG Maker junk, that peaked way back around 2004-5 or so and has long been dead. The first Barkley was a collaborative effort of a bunch of the prominent, more creative users.

Some of the old guard hang around this site named after an in-joke, if you want to get a small inkling of what it was like.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
New donation points!

quote:

Pledge $75 or more

Digital download of the Barkley 2 artbook + previous rewards. Get a PDF digital download of the Barkleynomicon artbook featuring the incredible work of Francis "Frankiesmileshow" Coulombe, David "Toadstone" Nyari and Richard "Medieve" Tran. The Barkley 2 artbook may even contain an exclusive comic . . .

quote:

Pledge $420 or more

Have your name, avatar and signature immortalized in DwarfNET + previous rewards. Jack in . . . to DwarfNET. This tier allows pledgers to be immortalized in the DwarfNET forums. Create your own screen name, avatar and signature and help X114JAM9 make sense of his mysterious journey through in-game cybernetic information exchange technology.

Limited (30 of 30 remaining)

quote:

Pledge $1,200 or more

Create a unique in-game encounter + previous rewards (except interview). Very special opportunity to work alongside Tales of Games in creating 5 special encounters for X114JAM9 and his team. You design your own game encounter, be it a boss fight, a special puzzle, or interesting mini-game. We’ll bring your ideas to life in glorious sprite-based vidcon action.

Limited (5 of 5 remaining)

senseinobu
Jul 28, 2008
Definitely upping my pledge to $75.
Edit:Beaten

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Have you contacted Charles Barkley to ask for an endorsement, or are you praying that he never finds about the existence of these games because he will probably sue you?

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

Dauntasa posted:

Have you contacted Charles Barkley to ask for an endorsement, or are you praying that he never finds about the existence of these games because he will probably sue you?

The first one is definitely fair use under satire, which no one would really pursue anyways because ToG didn't make any money off of it, and the second game has had any references to copyrighted material removed, and all this has been answered in the OP you clown!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Weed Wolf posted:

The first one is definitely fair use under satire, which no one would really pursue anyways because ToG didn't make any money off of it, and the second game has had any references to copyrighted material removed, and all this has been answered in the OP you clown!

Not true, we have no idea if Barkeley has actually been approached or what his thoughts on the matter are. The same goes for Quad City DJs / Warner Bros.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Weed Wolf posted:

Right, but it still has at least half of Barkley's name on it and presumably he will be mentioned in it at some point.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Weed Wolf posted:

For the 2nd game they're probably OK, especially if they've been consulting with legal counsel, but the first game could still be iffy. Similarly fair use stuff has received C&Ds in the past (House of Cosbys is one example off the top of my head).

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Dauntasa posted:

Right, but it still has at least half of Barkley's name on it and presumably he will be mentioned in it at some point.

As an armchair amateur lawyer who has been in contact with Tales of Game's I can assure you that they are well within their legal rights and are in no danger of being slammed with a lawsuit from Charles Barkley.

Note that the previous sentence may have some inaccuracies due to me drinking myself happy that the pledge amount is almost up to fifty grand.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Worst comes to worst, he's Charuzu Ueido Bakuri now.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

So they can't reference real life basket ball players anymore :(?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

DrManiac posted:

So they can't reference real life basket ball players anymore :(?

Charles Barkley isn't real anyways.