Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

Flashing Twelve posted:

Hahahha what the hell i literally just played the mission from san andreas where you burn weed crops with the truth except set to a skrillex song

:2bong:

I was laughing at first, and then realized they were just going to loop the chorus for as long as it took me to do it, so the local population developed a sudden case of spontaneous combustion.

Also the amount of hilarious poo poo you can pull off with C4 + Mines is great.

E: Buck for Best CharacterWizard 2012.

Orv fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isz
Aug 6, 2001

How is the deluxe edition content? Worth the extra $10?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Saint Isz posted:

The couple deluxe weapons I've gotten to use in single-player are pretty cool. The missions are nothing special. Can't speak for the multiplayer content. Probably not worth it.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Forced to buy retail and line up with the WiiU buyers. Not how I wanted to spend my lunch break.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So what exactly are the four unique animals that you get in the Predator Pack? Are they new breeds or just four hunting missions with special animals already in the game like the Blood Komodo or the Undying Bear.

e: and speaking of animals, the journal text you get for killing a seagull is something special

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 30, 2012

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Going by the picture on the box they're just high level re-skins like the blood komodo. I'll get a pic hang on.

EDIT:

Monster w21 Faces fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 30, 2012

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

So what exactly are the four unique animals that you get in the Predator Pack? Are they new breeds or just four hunting missions with special animals already in the game like the Blood Komodo or the...Undying Bear.
White Tiger, Thylacine, Black Panther and Red Vulture.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
To all the "protagonist annoying" folks, it very much feels like this particular protagonist isn't supposed to be very likable. The journey that he takes from an annoying whiny nerd with an occasional lisp to a blood-crazed sociopath not only didn't make him better in my eyes, but it actually made him that much more disgusting, whereas in the beginning he was just annoying and somewhat aloof. I mean some folks might enjoy him that way more, but I found it that much more deplorable. There's a bunch of scenes driving this home, like an optional conversation you can get with the blond chick in the cave, where he mentions that "killing people feels like winning", the messed-up tribal warrior bullshit and just the general childlike glee with which everything unfolds - which is kind of ironic in a meta sort of way, since this game is getting a ton of praise for its sandbox-y, crazy open world fun, yet the plot really centers on how very hosed up the protagonist becomes because of it. Also the whole "I'm gonna be having a lot of fun blowing poo poo up, while my friends toil away in a cave trying to fix a boat" doesn't speak well to his character. I mean, all it would take is for him to hijack a patrol boat and it's a fairly smooth sailing for them.
That being said, game seems to be very well written so far - especially the merging of the game play and the narrative, kudos to writers on that.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 30, 2012

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Forced to buy retail and line up with the WiiU buyers. Not how I wanted to spend my lunch break.

Did you get this in the UK? Does it come with Steam? I really really want this game on Steam but Ubi is loving us again.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I just grabbed the game off gamefly.co.uk - the NOV20OFFUK code still works, which bumps the price down to £32 for the Deluxe edition. A few pennies over $50 - not bad.

The problem is that due to an ISP change and technical fuckery, downloads from anywhere but Steam seem to be hilariously slow. It's estimating it'll take 50-60 hours to get the game. Bleh!

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Ddraig posted:

Did you get this in the UK? Does it come with Steam? I really really want this game on Steam but Ubi is loving us again.

Nope, the only way to get the game on Steam is to buy it on Steam. Honestly, it doesn't make much difference--there's no Steam achievements and you still have to launch the uPlay launcher to play regardless. You could just shortcut it through Steam and it'd pretty much be the same thing.

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱
Where the gently caress are Boars, I need to be able to carry some more ammo. The icons that look like boars are actually pigs, as far as I can tell.
Also, is there a way to do rangefinding so the bow is actually useful at long range?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

DiabloStarCraft posted:

Where the gently caress are Boars, I need to be able to carry some more ammo. The icons that look like boars are actually pigs, as far as I can tell.

The only place I've been able to reliably find boars is near Dr. Earnhardt's house.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Cardboard Box posted:

Nope, the only way to get the game on Steam is to buy it on Steam. Honestly, it doesn't make much difference--there's no Steam achievements and you still have to launch the uPlay launcher to play regardless. You could just shortcut it through Steam and it'd pretty much be the same thing.

Ah, that sucks. I'd really like it on Steam, because I hate having games all over the place.

I suppose some goon gifting it from somewhere where it is available would let me get it on Steam? Ubi really poo poo the bed on this one. I want to buy it, but I want to buy it where I buy all my other games. Why do they not want this money?

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱

Cardboard Box posted:

The only place I've been able to reliably find boars is near Dr. Earnhardt's house.

Well, I guess I should actually start playing the game instead of roaming around the island attempting to drop arrows through peoples heads.

Ddraig posted:

Ah, that sucks. I'd really like it on Steam, because I hate having games all over the place.

I suppose some goon gifting it from somewhere where it is available would let me get it on Steam? Ubi really poo poo the bed on this one. I want to buy it, but I want to buy it where I buy all my other games. Why do they not want this money?

You can totally get a yank to gift you a copy. That's how I got mine.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Pig icon vs Boar icon:

Captain_Red
Mar 2, 2007
I'm a Captain
I had to be conservative with my bandwidth when I per-loaded Far Cry 3 on steam so when I was offered the choice of downloading the map editor I opted not to and just downloaded the game without it. Have I just screwed myself out of the editor entirely or is there a way I can download it now?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Captain_Red posted:

I had to be conservative with my bandwidth when I per-loaded Far Cry 3 on steam so when I was offered the choice of downloading the map editor I opted not to and just downloaded the game without it. Have I just screwed myself out of the editor entirely or is there a way I can download it now?
It's under Tools and is a 0kb download (the editor is included with the game files, the Tools entry just lets you launch it from Steam).

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Captain_Red posted:

You can download it at any time from the Tools section of your Steam library.

EDIT: beaten by one second

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I saw a 10 minute video of some chubby sounding Swedish guy screaming about redneck hunting while he tried to drive over a boar for his first quest. Basically what I'm saying is that now I need this game.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Does anyone have this on Xbox? What is it like? Do the graphics still look nice and does the framerate hold up?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

From what I've seen, graphics look pretty good for a 360 game. Framerate can be sorta dicey, particularly in cutscenes, but looks like it stays around 30 FPS in general gameplay.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

az posted:

Do the cash side missions like racing, shooting, knife throwing etc. count for unlocking stuff?

edit: what about loot chests and relics?
Generally speaking, no with the exception of getting new unlockables for every 10 relics. You can see what you need to do in the handbook, I forgot what the section is called but the icon is a bar graph. The layout is a bit confusing at first glance, but it should become clear once you look at it. White stars unlocks signature weapons, blue stars achievements :haw:, yellow stars new recipes and your progress is represented by filled in blocks/stars. Additionally some specific missions do appear to give you unlocks as additional rewards - I did the story mission "once more with dignity" earlier and I got a (completely useless) recipe in addition to the XP and cash.

Also, some side missions are required to unlock certain skills in addition to doing the story mission - I remember one skill requiring 3 supply drop missions to unlock.

DiabloStarCraft posted:

Those bastards are everywhere. Sneaking up on a tiger? BOAR'D! Sniping an enemy base? NOT ON MY WATCH! Picking flowers? TUSK UP YOUR ARSE!

I'm going to kill every last one of those little fucks.

Blast of Confetti posted:

I saw a 10 minute video of some chubby sounding Swedish guy screaming about redneck hunting while he tried to drive over a boar for his first quest. Basically what I'm saying is that now I need this game.
The only way to hunt sharks is running them over with a jetski.

kissekatt fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 30, 2012

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ddraig posted:

GAME is loving you, not Ubi. They put pressure on publishers to avoid competing with digital distribution.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Mokinokaro posted:

GAME is loving you, not Ubi. They put pressure on publishers to avoid competing with digital distribution.

Ubi's letting it happen, so they're equally to blame. I actually went to try and find a Game store to buy this but apparently all the ones near me have closed down.

Great job competing, guys.

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

They've actually managed to pull off the hunting really well. I'm just about done and I haven't felt it to be overly grindy or painful, and the upgrades are visible improvements.

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱

Ddraig posted:

Ubi's letting it happen, so they're equally to blame. I actually went to try and find a Game store to buy this but apparently all the ones near me have closed down.

Great job competing, guys.

Ubisoft (and THQ as well) is doing it because Game says they won't advertise any Ubisoft title in their shops if they don't, nor commission any retailer exclusive DLC from them, and Game is pretty much the only nation videogame retail chain in the country, though Granger are trying to fix that

Of course, you didn't hear any of this from me

Orv
May 4, 2011
I appreciate that no matter how bad things might get between me and my buddy Vaas, he always leaves whatever I need to escape on my soon-to-be-corpse. :allears:

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Does anyone else really want a Mr Donut mod? :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve-9K1R79tI

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

DiabloStarCraft posted:

Ubisoft (and THQ as well) is doing it because Game says they won't advertise any Ubisoft title in their shops if they don't, nor commission any retailer exclusive DLC from them, and Game is pretty much the only nation videogame retail chain in the country, though Granger are trying to fix that

Of course, you didn't hear any of this from me

What about GMG? They have it - it's where i got it.
I really dont understand why ubi would cave into that demand from one retailer - i would have thought it would be small potatos compared to the revenue benefit from having it on steam.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

numptyboy posted:

What about GMG? They have it - it's where i got it.
I really dont understand why ubi would cave into that demand from one retailer - i would have thought it would be small potatos compared to the revenue benefit from having it on steam.

It's a case of 1 game on one platform from one online store vs. ubisofts entire product line being promoted in the only major games retailer in the UK.

We buy a lot of loving games.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Saint Isz posted:

Yes. Two DLCs add up to six more missions, of which four involve a bomb-carrying monkey. The other two DLCs add an instakill dagger and a sniper rifle. All DLCs add something to multiplayer, but I don't care about multiplayer. The M-700 Predator Rifle is more powerful than the regular M-700 but also has less range. (This doesn't make any sense.) Early in the game when you're poor, the weapon unlocks are really nice. I haven't played the DLC missions, but more content in this game is great content. Also, in addition to the four unique predators, the animal population, especially the tiger population, seems to have been boosted.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Quoting Alice In Wonderland is not the correct way to cover for completely unexplained crazy poo poo! :argh:

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Orv posted:

Quoting Alice In Wonderland is not the correct way to cover for completely unexplained crazy poo poo! :argh:

This is from the Assassin's Creed team. They still haven't explained the ending of Creed 2.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
How do you import save games if you weren't using cloud?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The MS16 with a silencer and optical sight is ridiculous for an early‐game weapon. Thanks to its power, accuracy, and semi‐automatic nature, you can really stretch those 60 rounds. The silencer is just the icing on the cake. That weapon has no business being silenced.

I wanted to learn to use the bow, but between the silenced MS16, silenced MP5, and silenced M‐700, there’s really no point.

KongGeorgeVII posted:

:words: about that loving cave mission

I went west because the cave entrance is on the map, and it turned out to blocked by vines. Because it’s close to the doctor's house, I couldn't use my machete to hack a way in.

A couple missions later, protagonist gets surprised by a guy around a blind corner when looking for Liza, despite the fact that I had Enhanced Perception active and should have seen him through the wall.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
Is it possible to unlock P416, ACE and other missing weapons in singleplayer? I know they're in MP and COOP, but they're not even on the list in SP.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So I just preloaded this last night. Really anxious to get home from work and play it. What's the VPN process to unlock it for those of us who are stupid and don't understand VPNs?

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Adraeus posted:

Yes. Two DLCs add up to six more missions, of which four involve a bomb-carrying monkey.

Nope, they involve you doing missions to a guy who straps c4 to monkeys, said monkeys are never even seen.

e:

Attention Horse posted:

Is it possible to unlock P416, ACE and other missing weapons in singleplayer? I know they're in MP and COOP, but they're not even on the list in SP.

You unlock all of the missing stuff once you reach the second island.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Welp I just went and dropped fifty bucks on this game. Wasn't willing to drop 60 to get it today, so I guess I'll wait my four days until it unlocks. I can't wait to go skin me some animals to make backpacks or whatever.

Gibbed I know I saw you poking your nose around in here, are you working on anything to make this game magical?

gibbed posted:

Built-in support for modding in Far Cry 3? Not going to happen. Now, that's not going to stop me. :)

Ohh I am looking forward to this. I hope you figure out how to rip this game up like you did for JC2 and we can start making poo poo goddamn ridiculous.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 30, 2012

• Locked thread