Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Um.. is it a squash? A dolphin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
I made this quite some time ago I've been bad about being productive.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu

Pile of Kittens posted:

Um.. is it a squash? A dolphin?

It's an owl! A terrible, terrible, owl, but I still love the ugly little bugger.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Salsa McManus posted:

It's an owl! A terrible, terrible, owl, but I still love the ugly little bugger.

:blush: I'm sorry. It's a very cute terrible owl.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Oh wow, you guys were right about the minky. I ordered samples of all the different types they had at fabric.com, and it's just a night-and-day difference between those and the Joann Fabrics stuff. Thanks for the tip.

Of course I haven't been making Fat Cats since then... I saw Wreck It Ralph and got kind of obsessed with making my own Sugar Rush Racer:

Not quite done yet; I still need to trim the hair, finish the face, and fix a few burst seams. Making doll clothes is hard. I made the body in one night, but I've been trying to make clothes all week!

Hat Butt
Jun 18, 2012

Pile of Kittens posted:

I feel like I need one of these. What could I trade you for the pattern?

i'll have to pillage my crafts box for it so it may take some time, but i'd love to share!

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

I've been super busy with my new job, so sewing has fallen onto by the wayside. Turns out working 48+ hours a week makes it hard to work a second job!

Anyways, still chugging along with ponies (and gonna be revising my pattern in a bit, I hate how the front legs look).

I've managed to get quite comfortable designing my own embroidery files for the projects, instead of paying someone else to do it! So thats a plus.

Keska posted:

Of course I haven't been making Fat Cats since then... I saw Wreck It Ralph and got kind of obsessed with making my own Sugar Rush Racer:

Not quite done yet; I still need to trim the hair, finish the face, and fix a few burst seams. Making doll clothes is hard. I made the body in one night, but I've been trying to make clothes all week!

Looks good! I love dolls, but am terrible at making them myself. I have little practice making humans, so I just sort of gave up on it :)

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker

Brainbread posted:

Looks good! I love dolls, but am terrible at making them myself. I have little practice making humans, so I just sort of gave up on it :)

Whaaat? Those ponies look way more fiddly and complicated than anything I've ever done. The doll was really easy, I made it out of old socks. Two cut into simple cones/tubes for the legs and arms, one for the head and body, and some circles of fleece for the feet. The hardest part was sewing on the feet, since I had to try and keep the sock material for the legs stretched evenly while I sewed it.

Sewing with socks is so easy it almost feels like cheating. You can just gather up a section, stuff it, and then gather it again on the other side and you've got a great ball shape to use. That's how I made the head. One side is hidden by the hair and on the other I left the tail long and stuffed it down inside the body to anchor the head. It's also a good way to make little owls - Salsa McManus if you're still interested in making sock owls, there's a great tutorial on Deviantart for a very cute one. The one thing it doesn't mention is that it works best with toddler socks - you can try a child's sock like I did but it will make a very fat owl.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Brainbread posted:

I've managed to get quite comfortable designing my own embroidery files for the projects, instead of paying someone else to do it!

The best feeling is when something comes out of the machine looking exactly like your design on the screen.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

nolen posted:

The best feeling is when something comes out of the machine looking exactly like your design on the screen.

Its pretty close! Shading is a nightmare, so I usually just skip it xD

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu

Keska posted:

Salsa McManus if you're still interested in making sock owls, there's a great tutorial on Deviantart for a very cute one. The one thing it doesn't mention is that it works best with toddler socks - you can try a child's sock like I did but it will make a very fat owl.
Oh god, that owl is adorable. I've been using this book to make little things. I was actually going to go get some baby socks soon because there is a little newt thing in that book that uses them as well. Soon I'm going to be knee deep in sock owls.

I made another sock owl a few days after the first one and it actually resembles an owl. The beak is little off center, but hey, this one doesn't look like a pumpkin.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Made a large bee pillow for my secret Santa. Also some smaller ones for someone else to give away. Here is the big pillow.

Added a silly mouth to it.

Craziest thing was I ended up cutting an almost perfect circle freehand.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Finished my Sugar Rush grape-themed doll, but the weather's been too dismal to get any really good pictures.

Brainbread, your photo setup looks really professional - what do you use?

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

I'm gonna make a larger box when I move, but as it stands, its just this!

Its a 2ft x 2ft x 1.5ft cardboard box. There are square holes cut on the front, both sides and the top. The top and both sides have white tracing paper attached over top to help diffuse light.

There are three lamps (tungsten, which is kinda bad but my camera and photoshop help compensate for it) on the top and the sides, which help get rid of most shadows.

If I had a large box and a better setup, I could position the plushies further back so their faces wouldn't keep catching shadows, but I mucked mine up (oh well, for now).

Inside the box is two large pieces of white poster paper (two, because one wasn't long enough). They're set up so that its curved at the back corner so there aren't any shadows.

Probably cost me $45, mostly because I had to buy three $10 lamps. Otherwise its pretty good for what I do. I do want to upgrade it to a 3x3x3 box, for larger toys (I have some difficulty cropping them in photoshop right now).

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Making up a stock for after Christmas! Trying out a new pattern (and have given two away as Christmas presents, because apparently I don't need money, or something).

They've got the same dimensions as my regular ponies, so all of the embroidery is easy to do, except they take significantly less time (like, hour or two less each).

And they're also cuter. So I might be able to do an after-new-years price increase on this style and make up for giving a bunch away on Christmas.

Also, they're adorable.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Brainbread, how are you making those fine lookin hats?

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Charmmi posted:

Brainbread, how are you making those fine lookin hats?

I was buying them from a store on ebay called, "Simplethings4now" - they're meant for 18" tall dolls, I think. But they aren't selling them anymore (or anything, it seems).

So I've only got two left >.>

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Christmas has been a bit stressful, due to my computer conking out (so I can't design any new embroidery designs).

So instead I worked on my new pattern for floppsy ponies!

One is missing from that Pile, otherwise I'd have 8 in stock. Which should hopefully sell well enough to cover some expenses coming up >.<

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Lookin good there brainbread. I made a whole bunch of stuff right at christmas and I'm still slacking off and not making anything :) Feels good to take a little break.

I made this for my friend's sister :3:

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
I am so out of the loop with plushies. The holidays and job stuff have taken over my life. :(

I'm jealous of those of you who have made the time to make things!

I did knock out a quick corgi beanie loaf for my friend's birthday at least:

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
I made a Starcraft Roach:

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm a little cat in a pretty hat!
OMG that roach :swoon:. I'm loving all the new critters. I kind of want to curl up with that corgi loaf and the floppy ponies are too cute!

I made more elephants for Christmas. Probably be making some whales here soon since there will be some new babies at my church.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Doing a Re-Sass gift for someone that appears to like sharks. Decided to make a derpy looking shark. I like the shark pattern I made it will need a couple of tweaks to make it look just right.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
In addition to the earlier Roach I made a Mutalisk

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm a little cat in a pretty hat!
I love the shark and am in awe of the Mutalisk! Good howdy that's a lot of little pieces to get all lined up. It came out great!

radioactivemongoose
Dec 27, 2006
High Voltage Rodent.
I make little monsters sometimes. This guy has jointed arms and legs and his teeth are polymer clay. I like him but not my camera's image quality.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Even if the picture's fuzzy, that little monster is super-cute.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Some of my most recent stuff:

and if you're interested in showing some plush in a gallery/store you should apply for Plush You

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Is... is that a burrito cat? :3

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012
I just came back from Hancock Fabric with a new sewing machine, I've got scrap fabric in the closet and a lot of free time on my hands! Time for sewing plushes! I hope to be able to show off the plushies I make on this thread and stand among you awesome creators of adorable creatures! The last time I attempted to make stuffed animals was in high school, where I managed to leave a few needles in the completed animal. :sweatdrop:

Brainbread, your ponies are adorable! I purchased a pattern off of Etsy (ValleyViolet's, if you recognize the name) for floppy and "standing" ponies and can't wait to get at it!

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006

Brainbread posted:

Is... is that a burrito cat? :3

Yes it is. Specifically it's supposed to be grumpy cat.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Are hard-headed dolls allowed in this thread? I've got a couple of animal dolls with resin parts I'm workin on and it would be cool to show you guys, but I understand if it's not within the remit of the thread

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006

Fatkraken posted:

Are hard-headed dolls allowed in this thread? I've got a couple of animal dolls with resin parts I'm workin on and it would be cool to show you guys, but I understand if it's not within the remit of the thread

I think I've seen a doll thread before. But I won't chase you out of this one. Could do with some extra life.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012
Do any of you have a favorite site for plush patterns? Or perhaps a pattern you got at a fabric store that has served you well or provided a good base for your own alterations?

How about a favorite fabric? Is there a stitch or sewing trick you were proud to figure out?

To contribute, I like this pig and piglet pattern (http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/mar/27/sew-your-own-pig-and-piglets) that can be changed into whatever creature you want. I only know a few of the major resources like Ravelry and Etsy so I'd love to see where other people get their inspiration.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.
I'm ordering the materials to make a microwave plush but I can't find out exactly what I need to fill it with. Do I just get a bag of normal rice from the supermarket or is there more to it than that?

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

four lean hounds posted:

Do any of you have a favorite site for plush patterns? Or perhaps a pattern you got at a fabric store that has served you well or provided a good base for your own alterations?

How about a favorite fabric? Is there a stitch or sewing trick you were proud to figure out?

To contribute, I like this pig and piglet pattern (http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/mar/27/sew-your-own-pig-and-piglets) that can be changed into whatever creature you want. I only know a few of the major resources like Ravelry and Etsy so I'd love to see where other people get their inspiration.

All of my plushies have been from self-made patterns.

As far as favorite fabric: http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=a29652de-630d-404c-8a0b-8441281c45e1

Any of the "Minky Cuddle 3" fabrics from fabric.com are INSANELY soft and are one sided, which makes it easier for marking/cutting. It sheds like crazy when you cut it but I've yet to find any faux-fur type fabric that doesn't do the same.

I've been so out of the plushies loop for a while (I've been making/selling hats) but I will post a small something here in a day or so hopefully.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006

four lean hounds posted:

I've found fleece to be a more inexpensive starting place, this book is a nice starting place as well http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1589235789 I've been known to use some of the patterns as starting places for others. If you can look for the hard back or spiral bound edition those have the full size patterns preprinted where you have to print them from CD on the paperback.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Comrade Quack posted:

I've found fleece to be a more inexpensive starting place, this book is a nice starting place as well http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1589235789 I've been known to use some of the patterns as starting places for others. If you can look for the hard back or spiral bound edition those have the full size patterns preprinted where you have to print them from CD on the paperback.

The problem with fleece is the stretch. It's fine for bulbous patterns like in the linked book, but for anything with a complex shape and lots of darting, it tends to make the final piece look a bit like a balloon animal, especially if you favour firm stuffing. For the amounts you'll use for a few plushies, the higher expense of minky isn't that noticeable and the lack of stretch makes increases the fidelity enormously.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Comrade Quack posted:

Once you start getting the hang of your pattern, stretch can easily be accommodated into the design. For example, if I am using the material in a way that it stretches left to right, I will make my pattern a bit shorter/thinner in that direction, so the stretch becomes part of the pattern. Same goes if I am using the piece vertically.

I also have no idea how to use darts (still), so thats something I should probably have figured out like, two years ago. I'm trying to move onto making clothing though. A bit burnt out on toys >.<

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAbominableSnow
Nov 20, 2012

a thousand puns and not one of them worth saying
I made this little guy today. He's a character from the indie game OFF, and I thought he'd be some fun practice!

He's the sixth plushie I've ever done, and the second I've made with a 3D head. The pattern was freehand, and I ended up spending the better part of six hours sewing him and his cute little outfit (all the clothes come off, except for his ridiculous tiny hat). He's fleece, with acrylic for mouth and jersey stripes. I think if I made another one, I might try and sew the stripes--the paint looks sketchy, kinda like in the game, but I'd like to try more precise detailing.

I love how he turned out, honestly, and I wish I had more time to make plushies. :3:

• Locked thread