Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Is there any HDR/bloom effect in the advanced video options that you can turn off? What kind of card do you have and what drivers are you running?

There's only Post Processing, so I'll try that. My video card is Nvidia 560Ti, the drivers are 306.23 (I'm not using the beta ones, they're buggy as poo poo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Bloodmobile posted:

A mod to keep the enemy patrols after clearing an outpost would be excellent.

I find this pretty funny seeing as one of the biggest complaints I heard about FC2 was that enemies kept respawning after you cleared out checkpoints.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

NaDy posted:

I find this pretty funny seeing as one of the biggest complaints I heard about FC2 was that enemies kept respawning after you cleared out checkpoints.

What can I say? I find peaceful exploration insanely boring, and there's no weapon degradation to make constant fighting annoying.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

NaDy posted:

I don't think the respawning alone was the issue. It's that they would respawn immediately and the way the world was designed you would have to pass those checkpoints several times while trying to complete one mission. (And in the console versions without quicksaves, dying at any of those points mean you lost all your progress towards that mission)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Attention Horse posted:

There's only Post Processing, so I'll try that. My video card is Nvidia 560Ti, the drivers are 306.23 (I'm not using the beta ones, they're buggy as poo poo).

My old 560Ti gave me a shitton of artifacting and weird issues with Battlefield 3, so maybe it's an issue between the game and that card?

And have you tried the newest beta drivers yet? They gave me a performance increase in FC3 and haven't been buggy at all so far.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Don't get me wrong it's not a jibe at you guys, it's just nice to see this time they've done enemies right, if a little sparse. In the 3 or so hours I've played so far I haven't run into a lot but that's not really a bad thing, I've been enjoying exploring. This game is awesome.

Aphex- fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 30, 2012

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

A useful command-line argument to add to the existing UPlay crap: -skipintro

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
e: Never mind.

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.

Attention Horse posted:

These threads are always so confusing for me. I have the same video card and the beta drivers are solid, no crashes, nothing. I even got the huge advertised performance increase from using the beta drivers, which is a first.

Otherwise, since I hate how every game thread turns into game hipsters nitpicking the story, enemies, guns, reload animations.. blah blah, I'd just like to add my two cents that so far the game is really fun. Thanks yall.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

So what's the deal with the camera? Sometimes when I point it at something (landmarks, like huge ships on a beach, small islands with some ruins) the targeting reticle changes to yellow and it emits a strange sound when I click the mouse button. Also, during the night I sometimes see blinking lights in the distance (they clearly don't look like a video glitch), but only when I look through the camera.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Attention Horse posted:

Also, during the night I sometimes see blinking lights in the distance (they clearly don't look like a video glitch), but only when I look through the camera.

Those are called spirit orbs, they're ghostly manifestations that cannot be seen by the naked eye but are capturable on film. Sounds like you found someplace that needs to be investigated by the Ghost Adventures team.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

SheepNameKiller posted:

Those are called spirit orbs, they're ghostly manifestations that cannot be seen by the naked eye but are capturable on film. Sounds like you found someplace that needs to be investigated by the Ghost Adventures team.

Oh god my Far Cry is haunted :tinfoil:

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Been enjoying the game a lot, but there are still many bugs and issues that keep jumping up and ruining the fun.

During a trip into enemy territory to liberate an outpost, I end up wasting most of my ammo ( had a bow and silenced skorpion), and arrive there at night with 2 arrows and half a mag. The outpost had 4 snipers, a static MG on a roof, and one dude patrolling the middle. All the snipers, including the one manning the MG, are looking in the exact same direction at all times for some reason. I sneak up to the MG nest for an easy kill, but he somehow spots me as I'm coming up directly behind him. The alarm is tripped, the local pirate population grows to 5 times it's original size, and I get killed because of the swarms of dogs chasing me everywhere.

The game dumps me back outside the outpost, so I try again. I arrow the bastard on the roof, disable the alarm, but end up being spotted by the patrol while I'm hiding in a shack. Then the game literally spawns pirates all over the place and I die again.

This time the game dumps me in a far away friendly outpost, and I ragequit.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I unlocked all the upgrades from hunting. It's actually surprisingly easy to do except for the boar/bear/dingo set, you have to go at least 2/3 towers east of the starting village to even find any of them.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
My only problem with this game is I keep doing the knife throw takedown when I want to gunslinger takedown.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
Multiplayer trip report: It's a decent CoD-clone with atrocious matchmaking; Takes forever to find a game and I've always had either a yellow or red connection bar.

Andore
Aug 27, 2003

I went in knowing that UPlay wouldn't work, that the checkpoints would be problematic and that there would be the usual open world annoyances. I accepted those but what really gets to me are the mission reminders. The incessant reminders while I'm doing something else or even while I'm making my way to a mission have sapped a lot of my goodwill for the game. I was trying to make my way up to the radio tower so that I could reveal the route to Dr Earnhardt's house and I had 4 reminders in the course of a few minutes hectoring me to go to Dr Earnhardt. When I finally did go to his house and did the mushroom cave sequence having those yellow dots leading me forward took away from any sense of exploration. After I got out of the cave it flashed up 5 tutorials that I had already done. I think I'll have to wait until there's a UI mod because I like the game but I don't want another 20 hours of these constant pop ups.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Andore posted:

I think I'll have to wait until there's a UI mod because I like the game but I don't want another 20 hours of these constant pop ups.

Good luck with that. There won't be a UI mod for a long time, if ever. Also, wow, you're sensitive. I don't even notice the popups.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Arrrrrgh. This keeps crashing on the title screen. Ridiculous. To rub it in, Uplay pops up with a "thank you for playing Far Cry 3! Time played: 0 minutes" message.

Load of shite.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Chas McGill posted:

Arrrrrgh. This keeps crashing on the title screen. Ridiculous. To rub it in, Uplay pops up with a "thank you for playing Far Cry 3! Time played: 0 minutes" message.

Load of shite.

Did you read the three topmost bullet points in the OP?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The constant pop-ups for tutorials or missions are horrible. There's one early on where it tells you that you can do the main mission or continue exploring the island and it flashes every 5 minutes.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Chas McGill posted:

Load of shite.
Make sure that your Uplay is updated to the latest version. I had that very issue before the update, regardless of whether I was trying to run the game normally or offline.

GUI posted:

The constant pop-ups for tutorials or missions are horrible. There's one early on where it tells you that you can do the main mission or continue exploring the island and it flashes every 5 minutes.
It gets even worse. Right now whenever I finish a side mission or load my save I have to listen to the phone conversation asking Dennis about Hoyt.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

az posted:

I wish someone could tell the devs that scopes don't work like that, glare everywhere and even the reticle is bleeding into the scope :argh:

Maybe Jason has astigmatism :(

Also yes please add in throwable knives outside of the little minigame hoooly poo poo yes.

Only make them hatchets. :black101:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Adraeus posted:

Did you read the three topmost bullet points in the OP?
Yes, I did. I'm playing it offline.

kissekatt posted:

Make sure that your Uplay is updated to the latest version. I had that very issue before the update, regardless of whether I was trying to run the game normally or offline.
I'll try that.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

gibbed posted:

A useful command-line argument to add to the existing UPlay crap: -skipintro

Thanks!

Red Mundus posted:

Awesome, in that case I won't even bother with syringes. :unsmigghh:

You'll probably need them in a firefight...or when you're on fire which seems to happen quite often with me.

Adraeus posted:

- A "switch/roll to cover" feature

I highly doubt this is possible. Also I'd hate it since it implies a harder snap-to cover system and I like this game's loose first person peaking.

Adraeus posted:

- A bow that's not so hard to shoot accurately

What's wrong with the bow?

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Yodzilla posted:

What's wrong with the bow?

I can't hit anything. I either undershoot or overshoot. It's painful. That's what's wrong.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

You'll probably need them in a firefight...or when you're on fire which seems to happen quite often with me.

I stopped using medkits half-way through the first island and I've almost finished the game on hard now. It hasn't been too bad, fire does a bar and a half's worth of damage before it can be put out and as long as you're in good cover you can still heal mid-fight.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 30, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Adraeus posted:

I can't hit anything. I either undershoot or overshoot. It's painful. That's what's wrong.

Are you using the scope with the drop calculator? It's tough but I mean, if you just made arrows fly in a straight line forever then you might as well just be using a gun.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Yodzilla posted:

I highly doubt this is possible. Also I'd hate it since it implies a harder snap-to cover system and I like this game's loose first person peaking.

How do you peak around corners? When I approach an object up close I put my gun up vertically, but Q and E do nothing and I see no mappings in the settings.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
If you're ducked behind a window or low wall and go into ironsights while facing it your character will pop up above just slightly. Same when standing next to a corner, it's pretty slick.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Yodzilla posted:

Are you using the scope with the drop calculator? It's tough but I mean, if you just made arrows fly in a straight line forever then you might as well just be using a gun.

I was using the scope with the 20/40/60/80m lines. I didn't get it. I used up all of my arrows trying to hit a pirate from a hilltop. I tried each dot on the scope and in between, but I couldn't find the sweet spot.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm thinking about picking up this game, and my main question is, what's the fire like? I liked starting fires in FC2 but the game engine couldn't handle a really big one, so they would always extinguish themselves. Is Far Cry 3 able to do big, apocalyptic fires? Is fire useful as a weapon?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Chamale posted:

I'm thinking about picking up this game, and my main question is, what's the fire like? I liked starting fires in FC2 but the game engine couldn't handle a really big one, so they would always extinguish themselves. Is Far Cry 3 able to do big, apocalyptic fires? Is fire useful as a weapon?

Fire is useful as a weapon, still limited in propagation. About the same amount as FC2, sadly.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
You're not gonna be doing much killing by setting stuff on fire, but having a wall of fire around you can be really useful if you're about to get rushed by a charger while you're healing. And everything in the game dies to a single flare gun hit.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Is there weapon degradation in the game? In FC2 you could pick up enemies weapons and even find some random ones but they would be in terrible condition pressuring you to buy your own with the diamond caches.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

There's a relic at the bottom of a blue hole. :gonk:

Edit: not the right word.

gibbed fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 30, 2012

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Budget Dracula posted:

Is there weapon degradation in the game? In FC2 you could pick up enemies weapons and even find some random ones but they would be in terrible condition pressuring you to buy your own with the diamond caches.
Not that I've ever seen.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
When do I get a wingsuit?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Infinite Monkeys posted:

When do I get a wingsuit?

When you get to the second island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Which is too bad, weapon degradation was a neat idea. Not really executed perfectly in FC2, but still. Also things like RPG misfires where the projectile would fumble out of the tube and then skirt along the ground and blow up randomly. That part was awesome.

• Locked thread