Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

UberJumper posted:

When you get to the second island.
How far into the main quest is that? In sandbox games I usually just wander about shooting people and stuff but it looks like I'll have to do a bunch of the main quest to unlock stuff :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I really wish games would stop treating me like a 12-year old with ADHD.

Also why the gently caress is manual saving disabled in autosave mode? Why is that even a thing?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Without any spoilers, how's the story? Some of the previews seem to be setting it up as some weird Spec Ops/Tyler Durden thing with the antagonists.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I'm still relatively early in, but as far as video game prose goes, it's pretty good. Mostly due to the characters you meet, who are all very unique, well-realized and extremely well voice acted.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This loving owns so far. However, I die more often to tigers than I do to guys with guns :downs:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Blast of Confetti posted:

Without any spoilers, how's the story? Some of the previews seem to be setting it up as some weird Spec Ops/Tyler Durden thing with the antagonists.

Pretty good.

It's not trying to be anything amazing mind you, but what it shoots for it achieves rather handily. All the characters, from the antagonists, to your friends, to random people you'll meet for just a single mission are all very well written, realized, and unique. Everyone and everything feels like it belongs in the world. It's actually really interesting to watch the main group of friends go from "worst people on the planet" to "actual human beings who you want to protect" through some really quality writing.

Not really spoilery, but the main focus of the story is less finding your friends, and more watching the main character go from a normal guy, to an absolute sociopath which is a really cool little thing to watch happen. I'd agree that it's more of a Spec Ops/Fight Club style thing, especially as you near the end. I'm only just now preparing to hit Island 2, and it's gotten rather dark rather fast.

The main meat of the game of course is the open world shooting aspect, so if you don't like that the game likely wouldn't be worth it for you, but the story is just as well done as the rest of the game.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

I'm loving the game atm, but what the gently caress is up with the framerate on the PS3? It is all over the place - even in the first village it can't seem to run completely smoothly.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Rookersh posted:

I'm only just now preparing to hit Island 2, and it's gotten rather dark rather fast.

At the beginning of the game, when you open the map and see various icons in undiscovered spots, is that only Island 1? I think I'm underestimating the size of the game world.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

jerkstore77 posted:

At the beginning of the game, when you open the map and see various icons in undiscovered spots, is that only Island 1? I think I'm underestimating the size of the game world.
Yeah, use the mouse-wheel to scroll out on the map and you'll see it's rather large. Still think it's smaller than JC2's but I could be mistaken.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

jerkstore77 posted:

All the icons in the Southern edge of the map are Island 2.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

jerkstore77 posted:

If this is true, holy poo poo because I thought the same thing :staredog:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If this is true, holy poo poo because I thought the same thing :staredog:

Didn't Far Cry 2 surprise people in exactly the same way? Just when you think things are coming to a head, it drops you into an entire second map as huge as the first one.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Infinite Monkeys posted:

How far into the main quest is that? In sandbox games I usually just wander about shooting people and stuff but it looks like I'll have to do a bunch of the main quest to unlock stuff :(

Its a fair bit into it i'd say about 60% into it. It is awesome but it is really difficult to use properly, unless you have a decent cliff edge.

About the ending, The ending, i sided with the Ciltra. What the gently caress. That was dark. You slit your ex girlfriends throat, and then immediately after it swaps to a minute of you loving her while her tits bounce. And then she stabs you. WHY?!??! THERE IS NO GUARANTEE YOU ARE PREGNANT LADY.

EDIT:

Dominic White posted:

Didn't Far Cry 2 surprise people in exactly the same way? Just when you think things are coming to a head, it drops you into an entire second map as huge as the first one.

To be fair the second map is smaller, and much less detailed then the other island. There is also a smaller number of side quests. Also you have the wingsuit, and other goodies so you can get around the island much faster and easier.

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 30, 2012

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Dominic White posted:

It was like that for me. I thought I had beaten the game and it was just halfway.

Red7
Sep 10, 2008

Rookersh posted:

Pretty good.

It's not trying to be anything amazing mind you, but what it shoots for it achieves rather handily. All the characters, from the antagonists, to your friends, to random people you'll meet for just a single mission are all very well written, realized, and unique. Everyone and everything feels like it belongs in the world. It's actually really interesting to watch the main group of friends go from "worst people on the planet" to "actual human beings who you want to protect" through some really quality writing.

Not really spoilery, but the main focus of the story is less finding your friends, and more watching the main character go from a normal guy, to an absolute sociopath which is a really cool little thing to watch happen. I'd agree that it's more of a Spec Ops/Fight Club style thing, especially as you near the end. I'm only just now preparing to hit Island 2, and it's gotten rather dark rather fast.

The main meat of the game of course is the open world shooting aspect, so if you don't like that the game likely wouldn't be worth it for you, but the story is just as well done as the rest of the game.

Just to echo that somewhat, I thought that the story itself was better than Spec Ops which just went completely off the rails near the end, this was much more tight. Neither let you really choose anything, but unlike Spec ops, the far cry 3 story line was rational. I thought the boss fights were fantastic as it plays into the whole loosing your mind/drug bender feel the rest of the game has - including the gods of war like boss battle and waking up screwing the psycho tribal girl or the card game that ends up with you massacring an entire room of thugs.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm enjoying the story and I can't think of a better one in a sandbox game. Having the protagonist be a wanker is amusing. Who is writing the guidebook entries though?

Also, I want hunting dlc. I've already finished most of the hunting quests and I want more. I'd enjoy a proper survival mod/dlc for that matter (with exposure, food, etc needs).

I've noticed so far all the tattoos seem to be unlocked through the main story missions, are any unlocked by side missions?

Red7
Sep 10, 2008

low-key-taco posted:

I'm enjoying the story and I can't think of a better one in a sandbox game. Having the protagonist be a wanker is amusing. Who is writing the guidebook entries though?

Also, I want hunting dlc. I've already finished most of the hunting quests and I want more. I'd enjoy a proper survival mod/dlc for that matter (with exposure, food, etc needs).

I've noticed so far all the tattoos seem to be unlocked through the main story missions, are any unlocked by side missions?

Its the its the CIA guy that's writing the entires

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
Is it just me or is the audio in this game really flat and terrible (PC version)? I am using headphones.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

paint dry posted:

Is it just me or is the audio in this game really flat and terrible (PC version)? I am using headphones.

I've only played for a few hours so far (on PC), but I haven't noticed anything like that and that seems like something I'd absolutely notice :confused:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Attention Horse posted:

Oh god my Far Cry is haunted :tinfoil:

Those are distant relics, actually.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

paint dry posted:

I've definitely noticed that, mostly when NPCs are talking, it's like it hasn't been mixed at all. Also I can't find a way to turn up the voice volume so it's always pretty quiet.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You skeptics sicken me.

So, is this game unlocking at 12:00AM EST or PST for NA?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Oh poo poo, I thought those lights were lens flare artifacts from my camera. I'm a moron.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Sputty posted:

So, is this game unlocking at 12:00AM EST or PST for NA?
The current countdown on the game page says it should unlock 10AM PST.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

gibbed posted:

The current countdown on the game page says it should unlock 10AM PST.

That's really late, that blows! Thanks for the answer, though.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I just had my first Tiger encounter. Ended badly for me. I was killed by the Kimodo Dragons earlier.

Wildlife is genuinely threatening and that's a good thing. Game looks fantastic too.

Pariah Messiah
Feb 16, 2012
So, how will this game perform with a GTX 560SE overclocked to about 820 Mhz? Good? Bad?

Also, does this game have 4 player splitscreen? (As in, 4 players can play on the same TV). Because Left 4 Dead didn't and that really pissed me off.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Pariah Messiah posted:

So, how will this game perform with a GTX 560SE overclocked to about 820 Mhz? Good? Bad?

Also, does this game have 4 player splitscreen? (As in, 4 players can play on the same TV). Because Left 4 Dead didn't and that really pissed me off.

Expecting 4 player split screen on the PC version is a little weird.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Pariah Messiah posted:

I'm running this game on Ultra with 2 gigs of RAM and a 5770. Oh, and getting 60 FPS.

This game is super optimized, you'll be fine.

Pariah Messiah
Feb 16, 2012

Vatek posted:

Expecting 4 player split screen on the PC version is a little weird.

Ahem, I meant on console, sorry.

Trying to decide which would be the better choice.

(How is the co-op by the way?)

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rookersh posted:

I'm running this game on Ultra with 2 gigs of RAM and a 5770 ATI. Oh, and getting 60 FPS.

It's kind of funny, Systems Requirements labs actually has my fairly new computer clocked under recommended specs just because my video card isn't next month's model. There must be setting to get bloom and AA out of the rear end. :v:

Pariah Messiah posted:

Ahem, I meant on console, sorry.

Trying to decide which would be the better choice.

(How is the co-op by the way?)

4 player split screen on anything more advanced than Mario Party would basically send a computer/xbox flying in to outer space from all the processing. :(

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Blast of Confetti posted:

4 player split screen on anything more advanced than Mario Party would basically send a computer/xbox flying in to outer space from all the processing. :(

The Halo games handle (handled?) it just fine.

McMyke
Mar 3, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Has anyone figured out how to turn off radial blur yet?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

No. No one knows any small tweaks yet.

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos
so I picked this up with that 20% off promo gamefly is doing right now

any clever ways to download it / unlock it early for people in NA? (sorry if already asked, didn't see it at a quick glance)

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Uhhhhhhhh, I just had a game where a dude folded and still won. What the poo poo?

Reive
May 21, 2009

Rookersh posted:

I'm running this game on Ultra with 2 gigs of RAM and a 5770. Oh, and getting 60 FPS.

Really? The game runs like rear end for me. :( Sure I get decent frames even on Ultra but it constantly stutters and drops randomly.
Thinking of just trading in some old stuff for the 360 version, since I really do want to enjoy it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

My old 560Ti gave me a shitton of artifacting and weird issues with Battlefield 3, so maybe it's an issue between the game and that card?

And have you tried the newest beta drivers yet? They gave me a performance increase in FC3 and haven't been buggy at all so far.

Has anyone had more optimization successes? I also have a 560ti and an i5, and the game doesn't run anywhere near as well as I think it should. I have installed the beta drivers, but I still have to go down to DX9 and turn post-FX to low before it gets acceptable and even then I get a bunch of microstuttering.

Edit: The guy getting 60 FPS on a 5770 definitely makes me think something's wrong here.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 1, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Hakkesshu posted:

Has anyone had more optimization successes? I also have a 560ti and an i5, and the game doesn't run anywhere near as well as I think it should. I have installed the beta drivers, but I still have to go down to DX9 and turn post-FX to low before it gets acceptable and even then I get a bunch of microstuttering.

How much RAM do you have? I'm on a 560ti with 16gb and an i5 2500k overclocked and it runs pretty drat well for me. I'm using the latest nVidia beta drivers that came out two days ago.

e: also an SSD which probably helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

How much RAM do you have? I'm on a 560ti with 16gb and an i5 2500k overclocked and it runs pretty drat well for me. I'm using the latest nVidia beta drivers that came out two days ago.

Sounds like I have the exact same setup as you. Using those same drivers. Getting 30-40 on high settings.

Edit: Also have an SSD.

• Locked thread