Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

durk onion
Oct 25, 2010
Just bought my first DSLR and took it on a work trip to Taiwan. I have a feeling that I am going to be blowing a ton of money on this hobby. I thought cycling was a money pit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

durk onion posted:

I have a feeling that I am going to be blowing a ton of money on this hobby. I thought cycling was a money pit.

Photography has a habit of pairing nicely with other expensive hobbies. Boats, bikes, cars, diving...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hockey, hiking, hooning. :colbert:

I hate that word but couldn't resist the alliteration.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Hooning?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A bro term for driving a car in a manner suitable only for professionals on a closed course.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I shot a high school state semifinal game this weekend that was different than anything I'd covered before. It was the lowest division, meaning the smallest schools. The two teams have student populations of 451 and 308. That meant the level of play didn't exactly have the polish you're used to seeing, and the top few athletes were making all the plays on both offense and defense. If I'm remembering correctly, there were five passes all game between the teams for a grand total of one completion.

But goddamn if those kids didn't play their hearts out all the same. It was awesome.

goddamn light pole

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

These are fantastic. Must have been nice to see a high school game in daylight. They're usually a nightmare.

E: Are the last 2 the same kid because goddamn if I was that kid's dad I'd buy those in a heartbeat. E2: Oh wait the top one is #5 too. drat this kid rules.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

DJExile posted:

These are fantastic. Must have been nice to see a high school game in daylight. They're usually a nightmare.

E: Are the last 2 the same kid because goddamn if I was that kid's dad I'd buy those in a heartbeat. E2: Oh wait the top one is #5 too. drat this kid rules.

Oh my god yes. I think this was actually the first high school game I've ever shot in daylight, it was glorious.

Yep, all the same kid. His roster listing was awesome: QB/TE/LB and some fourth position I can't even remember because :lol:

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

More roller derby last night, got a few pics I liked.

North Star Roller Girls - Rollergeddon: The Final Countdown by kdrudy, on Flickr

North Star Roller Girls - Rollergeddon: The Final Countdown by kdrudy, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

This one is great.

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
Sorry in advance for the megapost.

I'm very new to dslr's and even newer to sports photography. I recently got a chance to shoot some hockey ( my wife's boss loves it and so her commands PT is hockey) and holy crap it's hard. Having never played or watched much myself, it's very difficult to track and the lighting is ridiculous. I've shot a few practices so far, and her commander loved it so much (compared to his cell phone shots) that he wants me to come shoot there first real game and use some of the resulting photos for their website, which I was pretty stoked to hear.

Anyway, here are a few shots. Please critique as much as you want. Things I know so far: I need to shoot with a faster shutter speed and a higher iso, and I need to learn to crop better/work on Lightroom stuff. There is practically nothing interesting behind the action in most of my shots so would it be better off without it?

All were shot with a t2i and the efs 55-250.

IMG_7784 by LeeMHarp, on Flickr

Since these were practices, there was very little "game" action to shoot. But the above is an example of the lighting I'm dealing with. Since this was taken I've learned a little more about how to adjust the highlights and shadows better.

IMG_8880 by LeeMHarp, on Flickr

Thought this looked better in BW but I have zero experience in adjusting the levels.

IMG_9077 by LeeMHarp, on Flickr

Her boss also runs a program where he gets severely disabled people out on the ice with this sled and gets them interested in playing as well. This was this girls first time there to check it out and he convinced her to give it a shot.

IMG_8817 by LeeMHarp, on Flickr

Last one.

dont hate the playa fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 13, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Use a bigger aperture, not only does it allow in more light, it blurs the background which is pretty irrelevant in most sporting shots.

Go visit earlier pages in this thread, there's a lot of hockey shots to get ideas from. The general idea is to capture an exciting moment, ideally with the subject's face in view as well as the puck. Snow from the skates is a nice bonus. So you want to be snapping away when they're taking a shot, the goalie is going for a save, or players are battling for puck possession.

Try to set a shutter speed that freezes the player, but allows the puck and/or stick to blur slightly. Some people may disagree but I think this looks pretty badass.

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
Unfortunately 5.6 is as wide open as that lens will go at that distance. So until I pony up some dough for better glass that's the best I can do. I tried using the Tamron 17-55 2.8 but its just too far away.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Use center or spot metering, that will help a bit, and either take custom W/B off a player's white sweater, or go off the ice if you need. Bear in mind too that this is probably one of the more brutal sports to shoot, especially in terms of lighting, so you're going to miss a lot of them. It sucks, but sadly that's the way it is. The ones you do get are totally worth it, though.

Crop in a bit more as well, you don't need to leave much space, especially if the player is heading towards you. Make sure your aperture is as open as it can be, and you'll probably want to be in C-AF if it's quick enough.

E: Also sled hockey is awesome and I'd love to see more. :)

DJExile fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 14, 2012

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Speaking of hockey! I finally get to shoot some again today. A friend hired (paying me like $50 and a pumpkin pie from his wife) me to shoot his son's hockey game at our semi-pro arena downtown. Hell yeah :toot:

The kid is like 10 years old, a great player, and a total ham for the camera too, so this should be good times.

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006
Nikon F5, spot metering, c-focus
Ilford XP2 Super 400
Around 1/40

35mm f/2

PCRG by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

105mm f/2.8

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

drat, those are cool.

E: Goddamn it's so much nicer shooting hockey under good lighting when I can keep my ISO around 800-1000. Probably helps when the players are like 9 years old and aren't exactly skating that fast :v:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 16, 2012

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006
I was lucky to get close enough to get a few decent hits on film, many misses though.

No idea how anyone shot sports at a distance on film in the past. ISO 400 is nothing.

D800 1/400 50mm f/1.4 shot at f/2, 105mm f/2.8 1/320 auto iso 3200 to 6400, C-focus spot exposure

Both lens AF-D screw focus is too slow, many missed shots but an't complain for the money.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

doodle_duck_dandy posted:

I was lucky to get close enough to get a few decent hits on film, many misses though.

No idea how anyone shot sports at a distance on film in the past. ISO 400 is nothing.

yeah it's wild to try anything sports-related with film these days.

A few from today. Not a lot of action, but a few I enjoyed.

06 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

11 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

31 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

55 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

I really felt off yesterday. Some days are good, some days you just want to go back home. I got a few shots, but I really feel I didn't do as well as I should have.

Untitled by Eeek5127, on Flickr

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006
Some winter surfers in in the south west of the UK

Preparation by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Boards by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Carve by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

:siren: Spartan Race Recruitment Post :siren:

Before anyone asks, I talked to SoundMonkey about this and he said it was cool, he just wanted me to mention that this has nothing to do with the forums and he doesn't give a poo poo and won't take any action if a dispute ever arises about anything.

Want to shoot a Spartan Race?

Spartan Race is one of the top adventure races in the country and I've been stuck with the impossible task of finding bad enough dudes to shoot it.

As a shooter your job will be to take 2 photos of each person as they pass through your assigned obstacle. Then you repeat that job about 5000 times in 10 hours. So expect 20,000 actuations in a weekend. This is what I refer to as endurance photography. Sounds fun right? No? Well at least the pay is decent.

Pay is $50/hr for 10 hours, you get 2 half hour breaks which you get paid for. Most races are both Saturday and Sunday. Some of the higher volume races get split into two 5-6 hour shifts. You work as an independent contractor. You pass the cards in at the end of the day, no editing. Spartan Race gets the copyright on the photos and the photographer is allowed to use the photos for any purpose that doesn't involve selling them.

To shoot you need a 70-200mm, a decent portfolio, and masochistic tendencies. Most events still need 2 photographers. The races that we currently need photographers for are:

3/9-10 Georgia
4/6-7 Las Vegas
4/27-28 Indiana
5/4-5 Colorado
5/11-12 Montana
5/18-19 Texas
6/29 Utah
8/3-4 Pacific NW
8/25-25 Virginia
10/12-13 Nebraska
11/9 South Carolina
11/9 Mississippi
12/14-15 Texas
11/16 Sacramento CA

More races tend to get added throughout the year, especially in the northeast/midwest. Spartan has also shown interest this year in a stadium series that takes Spartan into major league stadiums, the first of which took place last November in Fenway Park.

I've been shooting Spartan Race all over the country for the last 2 years and it's actually really loving fun. We have a really relaxed group of photogs that are a good time to hang out with. We tend to go out for beers after the race. If you are interested or have any questions send me an email at c(dot)clunie(at)gmail(dot)com or just PM me.

Check out the Spartan website https://www.spartanrace.com

Wooten fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 13, 2013

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
^ This dude's legit, I'll be working a couple for him.

I've been bad about getting any recent work online, but here are a few from a basketball game I picked up last night (or check out the blog post for prettier display).

I didn't realize until I was transmitting how many were vertical, and similar and boring at that. :/ I'll need to try and work on that for this weekend's games, maybe shoot some more wide angle.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
I was able to snag a media pass to Red Bull Crashed Ice in St. Paul this weekend, I'm just starting to go through my shots but I like this one.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO

pbpancho posted:

I was able to snag a media pass to Red Bull Crashed Ice in St. Paul this weekend, I'm just starting to go through my shots but I like this one.

God I wish Crashed Ice was somewhere around here.

Speaking of ice...

IMG_0087 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_0144 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_9971 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_9967 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_1824 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_1626 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_9962 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

Kerrow fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 28, 2013

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crashed Ice races are loving awesome.

So apparently if you want to really do some big surfing photography, you need to find someone that is completely loving insane :stare:

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
POYi judging for day 1 of the sports categories are finished and the results are posted. I think the sports feature and rec sports winners are all strong, but I question a couple of the sports action selections. I'd be interested in seeing what y'all think: http://www.poyi.org/

Also, I'm covering a track meet in a gym I've shot in many times before, and I think it's somehow managed to get even darker. ISO 6400, f/2.8, 1/250 is not going to be pretty on a 7D.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

POYi judging for day 1 of the sports categories are finished and the results are posted. I think the sports feature and rec sports winners are all strong, but I question a couple of the sports action selections. I'd be interested in seeing what y'all think: http://www.poyi.org/

Also, I'm covering a track meet in a gym I've shot in many times before, and I think it's somehow managed to get even darker. ISO 6400, f/2.8, 1/250 is not going to be pretty on a 7D.

The face ball one is hilarious, and I love the paralympic high jumper. The scrum is also fantastic and I would have put that above at least the boxer.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Yeah, the sports action ones are alright. It seems like the top three are 'guy's face is in focus and expressive'.

'The Battle' is such a weird one to pick. Also, the scrum would be amazing if it were lower, IMO. Or wider.

EDIT: the RG3 one should be the winner.

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006
Old camera (E-3), old noise performance, the venue was 6-7 EV and I needed a minimum of 1/250 to freeze the action so I was dead in the water even at f/2.8. Had to go for risky panning shots @1/25.

Motion by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Panning by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Panning by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the panning makes for much better shots, myself.

That noise is pretty distracting. It would probably work with a more "artsy" composition though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'M NOT THE ONLY OLYMPUS SHOOTER LEFT :woop:

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Whatever, I like those panning shots. They're pretty bang on.

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006

DJExile posted:

I'M NOT THE ONLY OLYMPUS SHOOTER LEFT :woop:

It has its place no doubt, with decent light levels to keep the ISO to around 400 or less it produces very "smooth" images + 4/3 sensor means much greater depth of field for a set distance.

I normally shoot with a D800 now but I had no access to the 70 -200mm f/2.8 I needed for range, so had to fall back to the E-3 and 50 - 200 f/2.8 to deliver the shots.

The noise is really bad though, obsolete compared to the D800.

I did some shots at 1/200 ISO 1600 and had to underexpose by at least 1 stop hoping to sort it out in post processing to freeze the action but the noise is extremely bad.

Underexposed by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

The team loved the pics though so concerns over ISO noise etc are not always relevant unless they will be published in print.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, I do forget about how old the E-3 is. The 2x crop factor does help a ton on big field sports though.

E: The E-5 still isn't great on noise above 1600 but it's a massive improvement over their older ones.

Untitled by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

DJExile fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 13, 2013

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Sunday was take-your-DSLR-skiing day.

Grampa shreds the fall line by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006
Panning Nikon style

speed by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
So this was my first time shooting sport of any kind, please criticize the hell out of these.

location was in a school rec center court with only 1 light whereas they normally have 4 big setups (I did not have flash though the official photog did and the shots looked horrible)

Started off the night with a 50mm then moved up to a 55-200, Iso was up but I kind of like the noise, also no cropping and a little bit of post on these.

860523_10151300975043339_1548130189_o by bang3rachi, on Flickr

856746_10151300974983339_747528653_o by bang3rachi, on Flickr

858608_10151300973333339_1685732585_o by bang3rachi, on Flickr

858886_10151300972268339_797811297_o by bang3rachi, on Flickr

856734_10151300971858339_754332341_o by bang3rachi, on Flickr

860035_10151300972358339_1136322721_o by bang3rachi, on Flickr

Full set

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bang3r posted:

So this was my first time shooting sport of any kind, please criticize the hell out of these.

location was in a school rec center court with only 1 light whereas they normally have 4 big setups (I did not have flash though the official photog did and the shots looked horrible)

Started off the night with a 50mm then moved up to a 55-200, Iso was up but I kind of like the noise, also no cropping and a little bit of post on these.

860523_10151300975043339_1548130189_o by bang3rachi, on Flickr

858886_10151300972268339_797811297_o by bang3rachi, on Flickr

I'm sure it's tough dealing with the ring ropes, but you really want to get as close as you can to avoid them. This top one here could use a good crop off the right and top. No reason to see the back of someone's head.

As to the other one, I'm not sure what we're supposed to be seeing here. The guy looks worn out and tired from a spot, but seeing jsut his back and arm doesn't help convey that. 95% of sports shots need to have a face in it.

Your others are getting some good action though, you're off to a good start. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm going to have another look through and do some cropping, as for the ropes it's pretty hard to get close without actually sitting down in chairs and then it's super hard to get out and follow the action, that last one I didn't get what I wanted to but I still liked the look of the shot, I've been told they're looking for a permanent photographer so I'd be able to be just outside the apron so I might try for that!

Thanks for the kind word, I was kind of expecting to be blasted