Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Shut up! If you try to stop me, my fists will visit you on four different points on your median plane!
Ah, I see, I turned the dummy onto always counter hit and I can do that 4k combos I thought was impossible. I was a former Akihiko player, so the change in buttons is so hard for me to get down. Thanks for the short combos, they are really easy and good damage. Also, water, loved the tutorial video, it really helped.

Edit: Also I've been using 5aa 5b 2ab 236a/b for my main BnB. Is that fine? Or should I swap it for something different?

Edit2: Didn't notice that you recommended that combo for the highest ground damage.

Zetta_Slow fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Jmcrofts posted:

Whoops I forgot the 5c. Anyway I never do the 5a 5b 2b stuff because it makes the combo way way harder for very little extra damage.

The reason you 5B in the combo is not only the extra damage, but it gives you a really good tick throw.

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Shut up! If you try to stop me, my fists will visit you on four different points on your median plane!
Well my current online record is 41/51 just from your tutorial and chills tournament video. It really helped me get started with Kanji, and it just feels so great to land 214D's because people just don't expect them. So thanks guys. I might start recording my gameplay and uploading it here so I can get some insight on what to do better.

Edit: Update, I finally beat my friend who is just plain talented when it comes to fighting games by a wide majority with Kanji today. Thanks for the tips and all of the help guys!

Zetta_Slow fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 28, 2012

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Yeh! Just picked this game up. I haven't put any actual time & effort into fighting games since "the classics" (SF2, MK2, etc.) so I'm really out of the loop. I understand that fighting games now involve intricate strategy, and it's all way over my head. I know what "DP" means, and that's really about it. At least, I think I do.

What's the best way to go about learning this game and really getting into it? I've played a few hours of Arcade Mode with a handful of characters, and even found a few that I enjoyed the nuances of, but I still find myself button mashing subconsciously. Even when I tell myself, alright, play a good defense game and "punish" mistakes, I just block for a few seconds and then go right back into button mashing. Any recommendations?

enojy fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 29, 2012

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

You seem to be trying to apply the rules of Street Fighter here.

In SF games, you patiently block and punish. Play "footsies" by inching forward with crouching normals, patiently waiting for your opponent to overextend so you can punish with a clean little two-hit cancel.

This is not Street Fighter. This is Anime Airdash Arcsys bullshit.

The thing to get about all these games is instant airdashing and doing a good air normal. With pretty much at least one character in every Arcsys game.

The input is up-forward, up-forward really fast. Then you do your best air normal into whatever ground combo. This works well with Yosuke's j. B, Chie's j. BB, and more than a few others.

It's not really about baiting and punishing here. Well, it is, but what you're baiting and punishing are fullscreen ridiculous antics rather than specific normals on the ground or whatever.

You never wanna be blocking for seconds at a time unless you're playing Naoto, IMO

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
Good games to countblanc tonight, have you played jmcrofts? You could learn some good Kanji tech from him.

Good games to you too crofts, although I've never been as mad in my life as when I was playing that Naoto in the lobby haha. How is his record so bad?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mr. Fun posted:

Good games to countblanc tonight, have you played jmcrofts? You could learn some good Kanji tech from him.

Good games to you too crofts, although I've never been as mad in my life as when I was playing that Naoto in the lobby haha. How is his record so bad?

I haven't actually! And yeah GGs. I'm usually a bit more on the ball, but I haven't had a chance to really sink my teeth into the game since Youmacon a few weeks ago so I'm a bit out of practice. I'm hardly good, but trust me, I generally don't do walk up raw command grab haha. Also does Kanji's 5A really not come out fast enough to beat your 5D, or was that just online shenanigans? I was pretty sure I was hitting it in time, but I really don't know the matchup at all.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Countblanc posted:

Also does Kanji's 5A really not come out fast enough to beat your 5D, or was that just online shenanigans?

Depends on the situation. If you block 5C and I do 5D, you beat it pretty consistently, but if I hit with 5C and then do 5D as far as I know no normals will beat it. I also cancel 5C on one hit instead of two to try and gently caress up your timing sometimes, so that could be it.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Fun posted:

That guy and I are good buds and play pretty much constantly. I usually have his number, so most of his losses are from me I think. He's definitely gotten better though, he kept beating me today.

E: countblanc idk if I have you added on psn? If not add jmcrofts and we can play some time.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mr. Fun posted:

Depends on the situation. If you block 5C and I do 5D, you beat it pretty consistently, but if I hit with 5C and then do 5D as far as I know no normals will beat it. I also cancel 5C on one hit instead of two to try and gently caress up your timing sometimes, so that could be it.

Oh word, I didn't even know you could cancel it. Thanks. Also your PSN name is really similar to one of my friend's who plays and I was confused why he was suddenly playing Elizabeth and like ten times as good as when I played him a few weeks back, whoops.

e: adding ya

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Liz vs Kanji my advice when you block a 5c is to just stand there and block. You need to be pretty good with your reactions, but you can jump out of the command throw if you react to it fast enough. You kind of just have to sit there until you get a chance to hit the persona or move forward.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Jmcrofts posted:

That guy and I are good buds and play pretty much constantly. I usually have his number, so most of his losses are from me I think. He's definitely gotten better though, he kept beating me today.

E: countblanc idk if I have you added on psn? If not add jmcrofts and we can play some time.

Oh I see. I've never seen anyone play Naoto like that and it really threw me for a loop. He's good.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Jmcrofts posted:

Liz vs Kanji my advice when you block a 5c is to just stand there and block. You need to be pretty good with your reactions, but you can jump out of the command throw if you react to it fast enough. You kind of just have to sit there until you get a chance to hit the persona or move forward.

That's when the liz player starts canceling into either 2C (to beat out attempted persona breaks) or air unblockable bufu :getin:

EDIT: I kinda misread what you were getting at, liz can also cancel into garu to call thanatos back if you're just going to block everything

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 29, 2012

EQFiddleCastrol
Sep 19, 2002

YO YO YO -- this is a shout-out to my fellow BBB's (Big Booty Bitches). Love you Celestie and Linds :)

Elephunk posted:

The input is up-forward, up-forward really fast. Then you do your best air normal into whatever ground combo. This works well with Yosuke's j. B, Chie's j. BB, and more than a few others.

as a brief mention, pressing up-forward, forward quickly is a much easier way to IAD (at least for me)

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

EQFiddleCastrol posted:

as a brief mention, pressing up-forward, forward quickly is a much easier way to IAD (at least for me)

Yeah, you really want to get this input down, it's relatively simple and it's the fastest way to do an IAD. I find myself doing it "manually" in some special cases, like when I'm trying to do 5A jump cancel into IAD, probably because hitstun keeps me on the ground a little longer than usual and I end up inputting the second forward while I'm still on the ground, thus missing the IAD with the shortcut.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Mr. Fun posted:

Oh I see. I've never seen anyone play Naoto like that and it really threw me for a loop. He's good.

Is this rushdown Naoto or my bro Tanktrix?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Elephunk posted:

You seem to be trying to apply the rules of Street Fighter here.

In SF games, you patiently block and punish. Play "footsies" by inching forward with crouching normals, patiently waiting for your opponent to overextend so you can punish with a clean little two-hit cancel.

This is not Street Fighter. This is Anime Airdash Arcsys bullshit.

The thing to get about all these games is instant airdashing and doing a good air normal. With pretty much at least one character in every Arcsys game.

It's not really about baiting and punishing here. Well, it is, but what you're baiting and punishing are fullscreen ridiculous antics rather than specific normals on the ground or whatever.

You never wanna be blocking for seconds at a time unless you're playing Naoto, IMO

Thanks for the tips. Or rather, the heads-up! Lil motherfuckin' Teddie pun. Double jumping and airdashing is still a foreign concept to me when my spastic reactions take over, but I've settled down into Elizabeth and Kanji pretty well. Every other character I've found some personal flaw in (so far,) but I suppose to get my money's worth, I should give a good honest shot to every one of them.

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!
I'm going to go through and add some of you dudes that still play. I really want to get back into this. If anyone's going to be around this weekend I'll be up for a few rounds. Maybe we can get a room going or something. I'm super rusty and am probably going to get destroyed but it's all in good fun. :)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

CaptainPoopsock posted:

I'm going to go through and add some of you dudes that still play. I really want to get back into this. If anyone's going to be around this weekend I'll be up for a few rounds. Maybe we can get a room going or something. I'm super rusty and am probably going to get destroyed but it's all in good fun. :)

I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't like lobbies because I get bored if I have to wait my turn, but if you want to play some sets I'd be down later this weekend. PSN Countblanc

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

enojy posted:

Thanks for the tips. Or rather, the heads-up! Lil motherfuckin' Teddie pun. Double jumping and airdashing is still a foreign concept to me when my spastic reactions take over, but I've settled down into Elizabeth and Kanji pretty well. Every other character I've found some personal flaw in (so far,) but I suppose to get my money's worth, I should give a good honest shot to every one of them.

IADs aren't that hard to do. If you skipped out on GG, BB, HNK, and the other anime fighters you just haven't put the time in for it to be second nature. Force yourself into training mode and let it rip.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

SilentD posted:

IADs aren't that hard to do. If you skipped out on GG, BB, HNK, and the other anime fighters you just haven't put the time in for it to be second nature. Force yourself into training mode and let it rip.

Collectively, I played the Guilty Gear and BlazBlue games for about 5 hours -- if that. I had too hard a time getting into the meat and bones of the games (i.e. Roman Cancels) so I figured they weren't for me. I really appreciate how streamlined they made P4A, in that everyone's moves are more or less the same inputs, everyone has a standard combo if I'm feeling lazy, and cancels/bursts have easy to remember inputs that aren't tricky to hit in a panic move. Maybe it was just the same in GG/BB, I don't remember; but I know I was just too unmotivated to learn at the time.

I think my best course of action right now is to force myself through Lesson Mode 4 or 5 times in a row, until I get everything down into muscle memory.

enojy fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 1, 2012

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

enojy posted:

I've settled down into Elizabeth and Kanji pretty well.

You should be warned that those are by far the two hardest characters to win with.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mr. Fun posted:

You should be warned that those are by far the two hardest characters to win with.

I'd argue that Yosuke is harder to use effectively than Elizabeth, assuming he's playing against people of similar skill levels.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Mr. Fun posted:

Elizabeth requires some clarification: she has some amazing normals and specials, but her health is pathetic and her reversal is not that great. She hits like a truck too! Now the problem comes when you're trying to open people up. She isn't particularly agile when doing crossups, she's more about catching people at range with 5C, 5B or 2B jump cancel.

These things, while fine, will only get you so far. People then move to the "mixup" of any blockstring into command grab or her other persona attacks. The problem is it's 100% reactable, and anybody that realizes this leaves elizabeth at a significant disadvantage when trying to start an offense: just block and tap the persona for the slower attacks, and jump the command grab on reaction which can be a free punish. To get around this you need to start doing OMC's after persona attacks to get in their face and force a better mixup. This is fine, but it also tends to make meter management more complicated for her and will usually put her at greater risk.

Kanji is well.. Kanji :X

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Countblanc posted:

I'd argue that Yosuke is harder to use effectively than Elizabeth, assuming he's playing against people of similar skill levels.

I think playing a good Yosuke is harder than Liz, but a low level Yosuke can get more random wins than a low level Liz.

Mostly because Yosuke can get the opponent pretty irritated with fairly low effort and potentially start getting hits in as a result.

Mr. Fun fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 1, 2012

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

-Standing, non-counterhit: 5aa 5B 2a+b xx 236A (has been my main BnB combo)
-I really use 214 D over C or C+D; (Until my opponent expects it, and then I smack them down with a quick C+D) I just can't resist the added invulnerability.
- My main FC seems to be 5C 2C 2B 236C 5aa 236C 236B (about the same combo with a fatal jump C)

So my current questions are about the jumping combos, and all out attack combos.
What would be my best option on an all out attack launch into the air? 5A into 5B always seems to miss on the 5B, so I just use 5C to get my damage off currently post All Out Attack.

Does anyone have an example of this?
-Jumping, non-counterhit: 5aa jump j.ab (optional double jump j.ab) xx 214B
I just can't get it off even when I see a jump, 5AA just makes me feel chained down.

Thanks for all the tips guys, I feel like I really have improved, besides with the
Mitts match up .

Edit: Scratch that, found a few great things involving the Mits, not having the problems anymore!

Zetta_Slow fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 1, 2012

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mr. Fun posted:

poo poo!

I can tell that Kanji's shortcoming is his speed, as when I go up against any ranged character, I just get hosed from across the screen with no efficient way to close the gap, especially against Aigis and Naoto (with the difficulty on Hard.)

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I only play kanji, and even though he's got a handful of really bad matchups, he's still a fine character if you like him IMO. Aigis, Mitsuru, Elizabeth, and Yukiko are all really hard, but everyone dies easy once they're knocked down!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CaptainPoopsock posted:

I still play and am playing right now. MangaCarta on PS3, but I lose a lot. You may have found your equal matchup in me.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I still play this game a lot as well, i'm also not very good. I'm learning how to use an arcade stick while still practicing in this game.

PSN: NotAntagonist

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Jmcrofts posted:

I only play kanji, and even though he's got a handful of really bad matchups, he's still a fine character if you like him IMO. Aigis, Mitsuru, Elizabeth, and Yukiko are all really hard, but everyone dies easy once they're knocked down!

You're really good though.

e: I always ignore advice of what characters to start with myself though, so play whoever you have the most fun with, in the end.

Mr. Fun fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 1, 2012

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mr. Fun posted:

You're really good though.

e: I always ignore advice of what characters to start with myself though, so play whoever you have the most fun with, in the end.

Of course! (The having-fun part, not the ignoring-you part.) I took all of the characters up to ~20 in Challenge Mode tonight, loving Kanji even more now, and have a newfound appreciation for Chie, and a newfound hatred for Mitsuru (can't pull off those moves nor combos for poo poo.)

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
I haven't played at all in like a month (too busy), but I'd really like to get back into the game. I don't get out of work until 1 AM EST, so if anyone in the night crew needs a matchup and doesn't mind fighting someone who sucks real bad I'm your guy! PSN: TheArchimage

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
elizabeth is godtier (if you never get hit or have to block)

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Coming from SF4:AE, Elizabeth is such a strange character, she feels like El Fuerte for me. Either you dominate completely and get a perfect or close, you have a crazy nail biter that you will probably lose, or you die in 2 hits. It is drat nice landing a random 2c and just knowing that the next unsafe thing they do gives you a 6300 damage command grab. Just as satisfying as the RSF to dizzy in my mind and she even has her guile 9-1 guaranteed loss matchup in Mitsuru.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Does Teddie have any way to get in on the ground? I'm getting really predictable with my jumps and the guy I play with keeps using Yu's 2B to get a combo.

On the bright side, I figured out how to do Circus Bear setups with the green robot!

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

My PSN is So__Zetta__Slow ; for anyone that's looking for a few matches and such.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Groghammer posted:

Does Teddie have any way to get in on the ground? I'm getting really predictable with my jumps and the guy I play with keeps using Yu's 2B to get a combo.

On the bright side, I figured out how to do Circus Bear setups with the green robot!

Just hit them with 5b?

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Groghammer posted:

Use items, use 5B, use Teddie screw, use teleports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Both normal ground versions of Teddie Screw are punishable on block, though the light one you need to IB to do so (but that's not particularly hard to do). So be careful how you use it. Not sure about the air versions though, are those better?

• Locked thread