Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

CaptainRat posted:

They don't even have to contribute; even if they just defend they'll get full XP, so just call in everyone you won't use in a given battle first, have them defend, then swap in the finishers.

To elaborate, AP isn't split between the party. Rather, each enemy is worth a given amount of AP when killed, and this amount is awarded in full to each party member who survived the battle and took an action, so it's in your interest to use everyone in every battle. You can ignore Kimahri, though: you're helped if you use him, as he makes a decent backup X, where X is whatever role you make him (the most all around useful one would be a Thief build but anything will do); if you just ignore him you won't miss much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Also, not that it matters much, but Tidus/Wakka/Rikku are the only characters who can fight underwater which happens a bit later in the game. You'll most likely be using them anyways.

I don't think it's worth swapping in people all the time for trash mobs as the AP you get isn't always worth it and it wastes time. Definitely do it for bigger battles though.

Kimhari gets a lot of crap but if you develop him he can be a fine back-up or jack of all trades. His overdrive sucks for the most part but I'd say Lulu's is just as bad in most cases.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Griever posted:

I'm playing through XIII-2 at the moment and I am loving it so far, but I've yet to see the supposedly terrible ending. It's just so much better than XIII in every way that it almost (only almost) redeems XIII in my eyes. Just don't take it too seriously and try to enjoy the vastly improved combat system and monster mechanics.
I kinda bought most of the DLC despite originally being annoyed that it wasn't in the game by default. I justified it by waiting for the game to drop in price and using the savings to basically pay squeenix directly.
Who doesn't love Gilgamesh? Wrong people, that's who.

I was like you, then the ending happened.

Speaking of which, I just saw Chapter 0 of FF13, you know, the prologue thing? It's pretty good. I am majorly bummed that they only did the voice work on the first of FIVE parts. I don't feel like reading lately and I love the voice acting for this series.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I was like you, then the ending happened.

At least the ending let's us have another game :unsmith:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Winks posted:

At least the ending let's us have another game :unsmith:

I feel like 13-3 wont come out till 2015 when the PS4 is out :(

I hope it comes out soon, I need more of this story. I never thought I'd say that.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
So that FF tech demo that Square released recently took about a year to make.

Didn't they already get burned by wasting a ton of time during 13's development? Not to mention 14 being so incomplete and shoddy on its release.

Maybe some people with experience in game development could chime in on whether this isn't really a bad thing, but at first glance it's not too reassuring to me that SE still sucks with the whole time-management thing.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Square is so loving retarded sometimes it's infuriating. Why don't they just license somebody's engine and save a buttload of time and money on development? Every time there's a new platform coming they seem to sink so many resources into a proprietary engine that nobody else ever uses.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

1st AD posted:

Square is so loving retarded sometimes it's infuriating. Why don't they just license somebody's engine and save a buttload of time and money on development? Every time there's a new platform coming they seem to sink so many resources into a proprietary engine that nobody else ever uses.

You know, if you bother to make a fancy new engine, you could at least try to use it for more than two games total (XIII and XIII-2). But nope! Way to go, Squeenix. :eng99:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Nice to see that SE is being its usual retarded self.

Didn't the same thing happen with the White Engine also? Though now they've called it Crystal Tools. What a massive waste of time and money for something that's been used for only two tech demos (the FFVII one and the FFXIV one), three FF games (XIII and XIII-2, and XIV), one Dragon Quest, and is planned for Lightning Returns, and Versus.

And they have no plans of sharing it with other companies who could do something useful with it.

Speaking of Versus, as of this month, it's now been officially seven whole years in development. Wow. Great job SE :thumbsup:

[e]: Oh, yeah, and Agito/Type Zero has yet to see light on this side of the world.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 29, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Just you watch they'll release it and it'll be the best game ever and will sell a billion copies.

It will! :qq:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Final Fantasy Forever is actually a pretty good ridiculous title for a "hey we're trying to get our poo poo back together and also naming a game Final Fantasy 15 is absurd" thing

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Dr Pepper posted:

Just you watch they'll release it and it'll be the best game ever and will sell a billion copies.

It will! :qq:

There's an unconfirmed rumour that they're going to hold a conference in January to tell people that it's not cancelled, and show off maybe another minute of gameplay, set to "Somnus", before it vanishes again for another few years.

Why they think it's acceptable or a good business practise to have a work stuck in development hell for seven years, I have no loving clue. But as FFXIII's dev proved - they also have no loving clue.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 29, 2012

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

1st AD posted:

The only reason to make an engine is if you're going to not only use the gently caress out of it, but license it to others like Source and Unreal. Square does neither, because the people running it are loving idiots and have been since the merger. It's like the two biggest RPG companies merged and decided to get rid of any voices of reason either company had, and just let the truly insane run the show. I can't think of any better example than FF14 being made by the same idiot that originally made FF11's steaming shitpile, and then bringing in the same people to fix 14 that they had to use to fix 11. In a sane world the guys who originally hosed up 11 would've been fired and the people that fixed 11 would've been tapped to make 14. :japan:

e: At least there's still companies like Atlus making good games.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Does anyone know if they ever plan on using the Ivalice setting it games again because I miss Bangaa's.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

1st AD posted:

Square Enix Licenses Unreal Engine 4

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Krad posted:

You know, if you bother to make a fancy new engine, you could at least try to use it for more than two games total (XIII and XIII-2). But nope! Way to go, Squeenix. :eng99:

Crystal Tools is also the basis of FFXIV and XIV 2.0, the latter of which is pretty amazing. But yeah, the engine looks great but the games seem to take forever to make (XIII-2 being an exception).

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I want SE to license engines for everything from now on so that they can go back to doing what they do best which is making fun JRPGs with amazing stories. Licensing and engine is no guarantee that would happen of course, but I think it would increase the chances by quite a bit.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Azure_Horizon posted:

Crystal Tools is also the basis of FFXIV and XIV 2.0, the latter of which is pretty amazing. But yeah, the engine looks great but the games seem to take forever to make (XIII-2 being an exception).

I keep forgetting that XIV exists mainly because it's an MMO.

Versus is also supposed to run on their engine but everyone knows the story about that one.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

e: At least there's still companies like Atlus making good games.

Every 3 years or so

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

They've used Unreal 3 in previous games, but I imagine they'll be really dumb and not use it on their flagship titles.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

1st AD posted:

They've used Unreal 3 in previous games, but I imagine they'll be really dumb and not use it on their flagship titles.

That is possible but considering how much SE has been publicly placing FF XIII's blame on the complexity and time intensive development of their latest engine that might not be the case this time around. It's no guarantee but it is more hopeful than usual.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Every 3 years or so

Well EO4 comes out early next year. :toot:

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

1st AD posted:

I'm starting to suppose that the projected earning of a mainline FF is so high that it's not worth it to pay the royalty for a licensed engine.
Else, at S-E they're just retarded lately.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Some Final Fantasy news:

Free-to-Play Final Fantasy Airborne Brigade Landing in North America

mtv.com posted:

Square Enix and DeNa announced today that Final Fantasy Airbone Brigade, a free-to-play social game, is coming to North American Android and iOS devices, though no release date has been set.

This is far from Square’s first foray into mobile gaming – that distinction belongs to Final Fantasy IV: The After Years, an episodic sequel to Final Fantasy IV from 2008 – but it is the company’s first free-to-play offering associated with its trademark franchise.

In Airborne Brigade, players each captain their own airships, and they’ll need to squad up with others to complete missions, find items, level up, and fight bosses.

Registering at the game’s official site will net you an e-mail announcement when the game goes live, as well as a bonus character card that will allow you summon Cloud, Final Fantasy VII’s moody amnesiac hero, to help you in tough battles.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I wish they would stop using that doll art style.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Goddamned finally, I have been waiting for this to get an NA release for so long.

Now I'm left wondering how many months afterward it's gonna take for the Android users to get it.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Hell yeah. More doll art style!

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
And Dimensions still isn't in the Android store. :argh:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Harlock posted:

I wish they would stop using that doll art style.

Ditto. It just looks so unappealing with their dead eyes, and with their mouths agape, staring gormlessly to the left.
Plus it makes the enemies look too loving weird.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Is this the same team that did TAY and Dimensions? If so, there's a chance this game might actually be fun.

Can't wait to try it out two years from now when it comes out on Android.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

Wrong, they built their own engine for 2.0 because Crystal Tools doesn't allow enough characters to appear on screen at once.

Yoshi headed up making an entirely new engine and everything for XIV:ARR and did it in two years while making 1.0 a playable game. They should really make that guy president of the company because gently caress.

That said, if Agni's Philosophy is a pretty much complete engine that they made in a year that will work on next-gen poo poo that's really not THAT bad, and will position them to push out cool looking games at the launch of the PS4/720.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Fudge Handsome posted:

And Dimensions still isn't in the Android store. :argh:

It's still overpriced as gently caress, so don't feel too bad about it. Maybe it'll get in that store when they drop it 50% and have it at a more reasonable price/on sale.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Boten Anna posted:

That said, if Agni's Philosophy is a pretty much complete engine that they made in a year that will work on next-gen poo poo that's really not THAT bad, and will position them to push out cool looking games at the launch of the PS4/720.

Eh, I don't know, this is still a company that takes one whole year just to design a god damned logo (warning: it's Kotaku).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair, marketing for big stuff like this does take a lot of time, and marketing people can be very picky. It's not like they had the entire square-enix offices sitting in a single room doodling various logos.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Yeah they had marketing people doing that poo poo, the only travesty is that it's kind of an ugly logo.

Also I'm kind of hoping that despite the initial reaction that Agri's Philosophy thing is actually a good thing. If they have an at least Beta-quality engine done by the end of it that they can tweak for whatever hardware the PS4 has and they are now working on FF15 or some such, and as soon as they get dev kits get it to run on the PS4 and look amazing, they'll actually be well ahead of the game. Since "next gen" is going to be pretty much current PCs they have a bit of a unique opportunity to be prepared. They've never released a Final Fantasy game at launch window for a system; this might be their first chance ever to do so and I really hope that's what they're planning.

They ARE Square Enix though so who knows.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Boten Anna posted:

Yeah they had marketing people doing that poo poo, the only travesty is that it's kind of an ugly logo.

That and that the game is called Lightning Returns and not Lightning Goes Away

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's still overpriced as gently caress, so don't feel too bad about it. Maybe it'll get in that store when they drop it 50% and have it at a more reasonable price/on sale.

It's always strange when people call that game overpriced - people would have absolutely no problem paying that price if it were on the DS. It's not overpriced so much as expensive by comparison to other mobile games.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Dr. Eldarion posted:

It's always strange when people call that game overpriced - people would have absolutely no problem paying that price if it were on the DS. It's not overpriced so much as expensive by comparison to other mobile games.

I don't know, from the screenshots it looks like the typical lazy SE style. On the DS we get full 3d conversions, on the phone we get RPG maker. But then again SE games have always been premium priced so I guess its to be expected.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Also, "expensive by comparison" is like the definition of overpriced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

There's also the fact it's twice as much as well-received SE games like TWEWY and FFT, let alone the fact that $30 on the app store will get you a dozen or more fun games and comparing app stores to handhelds like the DS and PSP makes no sense and they are not the same thing.