Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Anyone else have a green line on the left side of the screen when using the Wii mode on the Wii U? It's a bit distracting on dark scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Chronojam posted:

Isn't eneloop the preferred brand of rechargeables now?
I never saw that brand in my region. I'll keep it in mind.

Random Stranger posted:

That's why you have two sets and one are constantly charged.

Technically I have something more along the lines of five sets and one always in the charger for when the currently used set run out but the principles the same.

LividLiquid posted:

They last much longer than four hours, so I'm not entirely sure why that's a problem.

Edit: I get it. Yeah, what the guy above me said. Get two pairs.
Have fun doing that with four controllers.

My experience:
I have used a BLAZE 4 battery pack and charger (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blaze-Way-Charger-Battery-Packs/dp/B0047Y06LS).
It stopped working within a month.
E: The charger stopped working that is. I think the batteries are salvageable.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Apparently there was a problem with Amazon UK not including Nintendo land. So they have sent emailed out shop codes to install Nintendo Land onto the system.

Just got an email with the code in it now, seems exploitable.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Anyone know if there's a patch available yet for the Wii U's version of Assassin's Creed 3, and if not if it's worth waiting for it before starting? I understand there were a few big bugs needed sorting out on the other versions.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

My experience:
I have used a BLAZE 4 battery pack and charger (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blaze-Way-Charger-Battery-Packs/dp/B0047Y06LS).

Presumably from your link you're in the UK - I use energizer rechargables, in an energizer recharger (it has slots for 4 batteries, so you'll need two) and they last for weeks and weeks without needing recharging.
I've had them since 2010 with no issues.

quote:

Apparently there was a problem with Amazon UK not including Nintendo land. So they have sent emailed out shop codes to install Nintendo Land onto the system.
I'm really glad this didn't happen to me, since I haven't got a wireless network and currently can't get the Wii U connected to the internet, since I assume that's where it comes from.

Taear fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 1, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I do it with about ten, actually (four wiimotes, two XBox 360 controllers, a Wavebird, and a couple of other things). All I have to do is when one set of batteries run dry I pop a new pair out of the charger and put a dead set in to be charged. This isn't exactly rocket science.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taear posted:

Presumably from your link you're in the UK - I use energizer rechargables, in an energizer recharger (it has slots for 4 batteries, so you'll need two) and they last for weeks and weeks without needing recharging.
I've had them since 2010 with no issues.

I'm really glad this didn't happen to me, since I haven't got a wireless network and currently can't get the Wii U connected to the internet, since I assume that's where it comes from.

You'll want one of these :ssh:

It's a LAN adapter that plugs into the USB port of your WiiU. Should set you back about $30, or your local equivalent.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You'll want one of these :ssh:

It's a LAN adapter that plugs into the USB port of your WiiU. Should set you back about $30, or your local equivalent.

I've got all four ports on my router filled and my Wii U is quite far away. But yes, I know, it'll happen eventually. That is why I said at the moment!

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(
Quite impressed with this so far. Haven't spent too long playing games, just farting about with the thing.

I do like the whole audio thing with it. With a 5.1 system and the gamepad it sometimes sounds really cool, sorta "filled in" in a way. Hard to describe but it's a pretty neat thing, especially if the pad and the 5.1 are doing different parts.

I wondered about how to customise the plaza thingo (Warawara?) but it eventually just switched for me after 4-5 hours.

One thing that bothers me is that I set the Miiverse to English only but I am still getting french and german stuff popping up on the plaza. I'm not even in Europe! I hope they can fix this, unless there is another setting I am missing.

Yet to even try ZombiU! I did install the Uplay app and it sucks balls. No touch controls at all and all I get is place holder text like !Menu_Name_Goes_Here! and that's it. Tried deleting it but nothing changed.

I guess there is no way to customise the plaza menu bit?

Nekrews
Sep 14, 2007
Picked mine up yesterday and really enjoying it so far!

Nintendoland is fun in a goofy way, and Mario is the best one they've made in years. Was under the impression that they had online multiplayer though, so after adding a few people in the ID thread that's a little disappointing.

Miiverse is fantastic though. Between some of the awesome drawings and just the overall positivity of the forum, it's a really enjoyable feature. Looking forward to what comes out next!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Nekrews posted:

Nintendoland is fun in a goofy way, and Mario is the best one they've made in years. Was under the impression that they had online multiplayer though, so after adding a few people in the ID thread that's a little disappointing.

What I had heard about the new Mario was that you don't have to be Mario if you're player one in a story mode multiplayer game, but it seems you do.
It's a stupid thing to be sad about and maybe I'm missing something, but I would much rather be Luigi or a Toad.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

For some reason, when I power up the gamepad the console does not turn on. It just moans at me to get closer but I am already pretty close. Any one had this happen or know how to sort it out?

And why is this Fifa demo taking 12 minutes to install? Jesus!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Woah, there's demos now? They finally added them?

Also, just so you know, FIFA 13 has some horrible glitches that break the game and make parts of it unplayable, at least on the PS3, and it might be the same deal on the Wii U. They're patching it but aren't really producing any results.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

Woah, there's demos now? They finally added them?

Also, just so you know, FIFA 13 has some horrible glitches that break the game and make parts of it unplayable, at least on the PS3, and it might be the same deal on the Wii U. They're patching it but aren't really producing any results.

FIFA is the one and only demo, so I downloaded it. I'm not likely to buy it, just playing with my new toy :)

It is still installing....

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Kiwillian posted:

FIFA is the one and only demo, so I downloaded it. I'm not likely to buy it, just playing with my new toy :)

It is still installing....

I don't see any demos...

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

Disappointing Pie posted:

Anyone else have a green line on the left side of the screen when using the Wii mode on the Wii U? It's a bit distracting on dark scenes.

Yes. In fact, the left side of all high contrast edges have a green tint for me. For example, the left edges of ? blocks in NSMB Wii are green when the sky is behind them. I assumed this was due to a crummy scaler because changing the Wii U output to 480p and letting my TV do the upscaling fixes the problem. :(

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

I don't see any demos...

I'm in NZ which uses the EU store, so maybe just there. What with it being soccer and all.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Detective No. 27 posted:

By the way, does anyone know what the poster inside it is? I'm gonna have to track down a copy tomorrow after work.

I sure hope it's an updated version of whatever the first one's poster was.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

I don't see any demos...

Me either. drat I got all excited and checked. I was hoping there'd be demos of everything on release.

I'm amazed the Wii still sells in the numbers it does, after all this time.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 1, 2012

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

Has anybody elses gamepad just stopped working with their TV at all? Mine will work until I use the gamepad to turn it on. After it turns on, the gamepad will no longer control it at all and I have to go into the settings and go through the codes again. This happen to anybody else?

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Den of Lies posted:

Has anybody elses gamepad just stopped working with their TV at all? Mine will work until I use the gamepad to turn it on. After it turns on, the gamepad will no longer control it at all and I have to go into the settings and go through the codes again. This happen to anybody else?

Mine won't even turn the console on for some reason :(

I just had a message of mine pop up on the plaza thing but instead of my name it had MiiMii, what is up with that? Did I miss a step?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Really like Scribblenauts Unlimited a lot so far. Spend probably a hour just messing with the create a object mode, just making random things and getting the hang of the tools. Managed to make a near perfect Rock Knight from the Space Adventure Cobra game, but I don't have my capture device setup to grab a picture.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Rirse posted:

Really like Scribblenauts Unlimited a lot so far. Spend probably a hour just messing with the create a object mode, just making random things and getting the hang of the tools. Managed to make a near perfect Rock Knight from the Space Adventure Cobra game, but I don't have my capture device setup to grab a picture.

This makes me wonder if we'll ever get a Facebook/Twitter overlay, or at least the option to cross-post from Miiverse. Nintendo TVii will have integration with all three, so I don't see why they wouldn't make it a system-wide feature.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Five pairs. One for each controller, one to swap out. How often do all four controllers die within the same four-hour period?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I never saw that brand in my region. I'll keep it in mind.

My experience:

If you use a nicer charger the batteries fare a bit better; http://www.amazon.com/La-Crosse-Technology-Battery-Charger/dp/B000RSOV50 can do most cheap rechargables in 2hr. Extended (2000mAh+) batteries take longer though. The next one up (BC-1000) can do a 1A or 1.8A charge rate, or 60-80 minutes per battery. That's more or less on par with most li-ion packs. I know $60 is a lot for a charger but it does include some batteries and it is really a nice charger.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Update about demos: Started the FIFA one and a dialog popped up saying I had 10 goes remaining. So I guess they limit how many times you can play them. Dunno if it is a universal thing, since this is the only demo so far.

Did the 3DS do that? I think it may have...

FIFA, meanwhile, while not my kinda game, has fun commentary despite me being hopeless.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Downloading a mutli-gig demo for like 10 plays is pretty lame.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Gendo posted:

It was 1.something gig, but yeah it's a bit daft. I'm pretty sure I've seen the same thing somewhere else, if not the 3DS then elsewhere.

And who knows if all demos will do it since this is the only one and only on the EU/AU store, it seems.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
People play demos more than once? The PS3 has had demos that expired after a certain amount of time. I remember downloading some Sonic game demo and having it expire by the time I got around to playing it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just got Sonic Racing and playing it on the pad seemed real artifacty.
I guess stuff moving constantly doesn't stream well.

Also I might just need to get used to it, but it really stinks that this game is 30fps (it's also 30 on the 360 demo I tried, fyi.) Forza Horizon is also 30fps, but feels buttery, which is probably down to the motion blur.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
This sort of blows my mind, I didn't even realize this was going on where the TV and Gamepad were producing two different sounds that harmonized

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObaIXnKIPao

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I wish Nintendo Land had more competitive multiplayer games, they all rock my world!

Just playing Warriors Orochi on the controller while watching television now.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Astro7x posted:

This sort of blows my mind, I didn't even realize this was going on where the TV and Gamepad were producing two different sounds that harmonized

Ooooh gosh, that's cool. It makes me pine even more for another Zelda game that emphasizes music. And I don't mean howling at the moon or playing the harp like it's Wii Music.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Astro7x posted:

It would be a lot better if there were a way to sync the Gamepad's sound in the settings menu. As it is, you're at the mercy of your TV's audio delay as to whether it sounds awesome or sloppy.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Astro7x posted:

I'm more baffled that this isn't the first thing everyone notices when they turned on their Wii U for the first time.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Gendo posted:

I've never hit the limit on any of the 3DS demos; I think the publisher sets that because it varies by game.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I know that the people with broken units tend to post more than people with functioning ones, so it's hard to gauge, but would you guys say the probability of a bad unit is low enough that I should ask someone to purchase a Wii U in the US and fly it over here to the Philippines (where it costs around $650)?

Pros: No need to pay the $300-$350 that all the stores here add to the base price, Cons: Wouldn't be able to exchange it at the store, so if it's bad, I'm screwed.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

I solved my problem with the Mii Plaza not showing games if anyone is still having that problem.

The answer for me was to go into Mii maker and make a load of Miis. I used QR codes to add Batman and Bane etc. That instantly sorted it.

But what problems in life can't be solved with Batman

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Argue posted:

I know that the people with broken units tend to post more than people with functioning ones, so it's hard to gauge, but would you guys say the probability of a bad unit is low enough that I should ask someone to purchase a Wii U in the US and fly it over here to the Philippines (where it costs around $650)?

Pros: No need to pay the $300-$350 that all the stores here add to the base price, Cons: Wouldn't be able to exchange it at the store, so if it's bad, I'm screwed.

All I know is mine froze today.
With the warranty couldn't you send it to your buddy to send to Nintendo?
I wouldn't be afraid if there's games you totally want to play. In my experience you should expect systems to die at least once during their time with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Teenage Fansub posted:

All I know is mine froze today.
With the warranty couldn't you send it to your buddy to send to Nintendo?
I wouldn't be afraid if there's games you totally want to play. In my experience you should expect systems to die at least once during their time with you.

Yeah, I could, but shipping it around (Philippines to US to Philippines) would cost about $80 in total. I'm no stranger to systems dying, but only my Sony systems have ever died, and there's no shortage of people who can repair those here. If a Nintendo system died I don't know if I'd have a cheaper alternative.

• Locked thread