Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Was it always the case that if you hit play with nothing in the Up Next list, it'd just autopopulate it with random songs? Quite neat when things go silent but I can't be bothered to specifically choose something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

The pHo posted:

Was it always the case that if you hit play with nothing in the Up Next list, it'd just autopopulate it with random songs? Quite neat when things go silent but I can't be bothered to specifically choose something.
This is a standard shuffle feature, no?

Green Eyed Loco-Man
Aug 27, 2008

The pHo posted:

Thanks for that! With this, "Up next" does everything I wanted iTunes DJ to do (but better).

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Diabolik900 posted:

Well overall I'm happy with the update, but with one major exception: I can't seem to sync my iPhone and iPad anymore. I get an error every time saying that it can't sync apps because it can't determine what apps I have installed. I couldn't seem to find a way to just have it ignore apps and sync everything else.

Gonna quote my own post to point out that the radical procedure to fix this was to restart the app.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Somewhat related, but I just found there is still an menu option to sync your iPhone/iPod. Which works out better now because I believe I can tell it to sync both of those devices if both are connected. In the File menu there's now a "Devices" option, that goes into a submenu to sync or disconnect that device.

However, "Display Duplicates" is entirely gone as far as I could find. The help search for it brings you to a page that has nothing to do with it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Has anyone been having issues with play counts? I spent a good 4.5 hours driving today and went through a good chunk of what was available on my phone. I get home and proceed to sync so it would remove everything I heard today (smart playlists based on last played is not in the last X) but nope iTunes's saying I haven't listened to anything today.

So what the gently caress?

EDIT: ok what the gently caress is this -

On my iPhone it says I have 274 songs.
On iTunes/Music tab it says I have 279 songs.
On iTunes/On This iPhone Tab it shows 288 songs.

How the gently caress?

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 1, 2012

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Has anyone been having issues with play counts? I spent a good 4.5 hours driving today and went through a good chunk of what was available on my phone. I get home and proceed to sync so it would remove everything I heard today (smart playlists based on last played is not in the last X) but nope iTunes's saying I haven't listened to anything today.

So what the gently caress?

EDIT: ok what the gently caress is this -

On my iPhone it says I have 274 songs.
On iTunes/Music tab it says I have 279 songs.
On iTunes/On This iPhone Tab it shows 288 songs.

How the gently caress?

I just checked the album I added this morning and listened to on the way to and at work. It got counted as listened to, and has been removed from my "new" smart playlist. Do you have to tell your iPhone (I'm guessing) to manually sync like I do?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

IUG posted:

I just checked the album I added this morning and listened to on the way to and at work. It got counted as listened to, and has been removed from my "new" smart playlist. Do you have to tell your iPhone (I'm guessing) to manually sync like I do?

I plugged it in via usb since wifi syncing works when it wants to. It synced and added some things but didn't remove anything which threw me off and upon checking yeah it didn't update the play counts for anything I played today. My phone didn't reboot or anything. Hell, it was plugged in most of the way since I was using Maps to get to/from where I was.

I just played a song and re-synced and it did remove it so something's off somewhere, drat it. Playcounts for yesterday worked fine too, so yeah looks like it's something that happened today.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 1, 2012

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Lot of people are saying that play counts on a device aren't being added to the one on iTunes.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Is it possible to have the album display follow playback? I can't see any obvious controls for it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

e: holy poo poo way wrong thread

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Now that I've had time to play around with the new iTunes, and am no longer freaking out over thinking they removed the sidebar, I actually kind of like it. I do miss the album artwork in the sidebar, as well as that you can't show album artwork in list view. Unless I missed that option too?

Still ugly though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Now that I've had time to play around with the new iTunes, and am no longer freaking out over thinking they removed the sidebar, I actually kind of like it. I do miss the album artwork in the sidebar, as well as that you can't show album artwork in list view. Unless I missed that option too?

Still ugly though.
Yeah, no album art in list view/sidebar is a bummer and the album art that does show during playback in the main playback part of iTunes is really tiny. There's always album view of course, to which I'm warming up actually. But I only now really realized how many drat songs I have with incomplete/no ID3 info or album art at all. Guess I'll have to remedy that for nearly 4,000 songs. :haw:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What's the best Mac software to analyze the BPMs of mp3s and write it into the id3tag? I used to use MixMeister.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Instead of having hundreds of albums with only 1 or 2 songs in, I collect my singles into miscellaneous albums by genre. I've found this to work pretty well at keeping everything neat and tidy. With iTunes 11, this system, on the whole, still works, but there's a couple of things that I wish I could fix:

1. (in red) In Album view, iTunes wants to sort songs by track number, which makes sense, but as I don't have track numbers (I strip away stuff like that if I only have a single song by an artist) it just seems to sort songs within an album randomly:

I'd rather sort alphabetically by song or artist - some of these 'misc' albums have 100s of songs and finding stuff in them is a pain when I can't make head nor tail of the order. Is that possible? What the hell is it doing? The sort info for all of these tracks is blank too, so it's not that.

2. (in blue) This doesn't matter so much, but when viewing the album grid, iTunes just puts a random artist from the compilation (not necessarily the first track or the first alphabetically) underneath, but when you open up the album, it'll say 'Various Artists' (and picks a random year from one of the tracks which doesn't bug me that much). Can I make it say 'Various Artists', or at least pick the artist from the first track, underneath the album titles in grid view?

To complicate things further, you can add 'Various Artists' to the 'Album Artist' field for each track to achieve this, but then it'll remove said tracks from under the artist in the Artists view - it's almost a tradeoff between Album & Artist modes as to which I want to make most sense (it seems if you only have tracks by a specific artist as part of a compilation, their name won't appear in this Artists list either):

Also, as an observation, I find it incredibly annoying that switching modes cancels your selection. If I'm in Songs and select Rock/Pop from the genre column, then flip to Albums and then back to Songs, the genre selection is gone. It's just a minor detail but it keeps messing with how I expect it to work.

Apple could never have solved everyone's problems because of how differently people manage and play their music - I'm nitpicking these silly details that mess with how I use iTunes, but the earlier discussion about the removal of iTunes DJ meant nothing to me. I don't think I ever used it once, yet to someone else it's the most important feature. And, despite writing this ridiculously matters-only-to-me post, I actually like the update :).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Tenterhooks, re #2, do you have both

1) Album Artist set to "Various Artists" for all songs
2) "Part of a Compilation" (under the Options tab) checked for all songs.

?

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
^ I've got 'part of a compilation' ticked, yeah. But as I mentioned, setting Album Artist to 'Various Artists' removes the tracks from the Artist view (as in second screenshot). It seems you can only have one or the other. I.E. - having a nice and neat 'Various Artists' under your compilations in Album view means tracks from said compilations wont be listed under their 'real' artist on the Artist view (or vice versa). So no to that one. Unless there's a way to get both, it isn't worth the tradeoff for me.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Halloween Jack posted:

What's the best Mac software to analyze the BPMs of mp3s and write it into the id3tag? I used to use MixMeister.
Tangerine perhaps?

Egg in soup
Nov 29, 2006

Yeah, up yours.
Are there any plugins for the Windows version that allow you rate songs with global keyboard shortcuts?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
In Album View iTunes 11 automatically resizes the track name columns depending on window size. Is there a way to either manually resize the columns or make the text smaller? If the album has a lot of long track names they easily get cut off.

Also I've had in-app popups every day bugging me to install the iCloud PC Control Panel. How do I disable this?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

The rear end Stooge posted:

Just clear out the Sort tags. If they're empty and the Artist/Album Artist tags say "Paul Simon," it'll be in P.

Yup, that's what I thought. Just wondering if iTunes had a way to let you choose which way to sort. :(

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

trilljester posted:

Yup, that's what I thought. Just wondering if iTunes had a way to let you choose which way to sort. :(

That's why there's the sort fields. They're all blank, and if you wanted it to sort by last name, you'd have to tell it to by sorting by name. For instance, I like sorting by last name when it's an artist's name as the "band". So I have "Williams, Saul" as the sort artist for Saul Williams. Otherwise, good luck making an algorithm for if a band name is really a person's name or not. I have a band "Norma Jean" in my playlist, but you can be sure it's not a Marylyn Monroe-lead band.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I am okay with most of this, but they really neutered the miniplayer. No volume control, no track time or scrubbing bar, it's just name/artist. Kinda weak for someone like me who is in the mini about 90% of the time.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Did anyone notice the Multiple Airplay functionality?! :aaa:

Multi room playback is now possible! Wonder when this will hit iOS...

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

jink posted:

Did anyone notice the Multiple Airplay functionality?! :aaa:

Multi room playback is now possible! Wonder when this will hit iOS...

I noticed it was more prevalent than before but certainly not new. ;)

edit:
This isn't exactly what you're asking but I thought I should show you this too:

benisntfunny fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 1, 2012

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

benisntfunny posted:

I noticed it was more prevalent than before but certainly not new. ;)

edit:
This isn't exactly what you're asking but I thought I should show you this too:

Oh. I have never seen it before. Their new UI is certainly helping me find new ways to use their products. :D

I've always wanted a Sonos system to achieve multi-room playback. Now I can do that with a cheap set of Airplay compatible devices.

What is that iOS screenshot of?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Probably either the remote or music app. They both use the same interface.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Just started using the iTunes music store again after years away. Is it a new development that buying songs from the "Deluxe Edition" of an album gives you "Complete My Album" credit against both the deluxe and standard editions?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but it appears that all my ratings of individual songs haven't been carried over. Is this info still saved in the metadata and possible to get back?

If there was a serious competitor to iTunes on mac, i would have switched by now. It's amazing to think that iTunes came out in 2001, and i was using it before that in 1998 (It was called Soundjam, i think).

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

It kept mine, but I believe ratings and play counts and the like are stored in the iTunes library file. Maybe try with an older library file?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Is there any point to rating songs/albums? Does iTunes figure out something from doing it? I don't really have any music I'd rate lower than say, four stars anyway.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

You can use it to make playlists.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I use them for syncing - 4 stars is a rotating playlist of "pretty good but we'll see after a couple of plays" and 5 stars is a permanent spot on my iPod.

Oh and 1 star is "probably delete this".

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Sprat Sandwich posted:

It kept mine, but I believe ratings and play counts and the like are stored in the iTunes library file. Maybe try with an older library file?

Will do, hadn't thought of that. I just made a new one on this machine, i think my old machine might have an old one.

Stare-Out posted:

Is there any point to rating songs/albums? Does iTunes figure out something from doing it? I don't really have any music I'd rate lower than say, four stars anyway.

Well, i have a large library and i usually sort them by the rating. When i get sick of something, i unrate it so i still have it.

I've been doing this for years, so it would be a major pain in the rear end if i had to go back through and re-rate stuff.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I appreciate the replies, never thought of it that way. I just thought iTunes used the ratings to recommend stuff or notify if something new is available from a 5-star rated artist or something. After realizing that iTunes Match isn't available in my country I was wondering if there are any other neat features I might be missing out on.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Sprat Sandwich posted:

I use them for syncing - 4 stars is a rotating playlist of "pretty good but we'll see after a couple of plays" and 5 stars is a permanent spot on my iPod.

Oh and 1 star is "probably delete this".
I used to do this before I got iTunes Match and its a am awesome system.

My only difference was a small subset of favorite songs were 5* and went on iPod shuffle for the gym. All 5* and rotating 4* songs went on to my iPhone.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
I use ratings to create a "radio station" type playlist that I can leave running without ever needing to change it unless I want to play an entire album or something.

I've been pretty anal about rating everything. 1 star means "never play, song is utter poo poo or does not work at all outside the context of the album" (if I have a whole album, I never delete the songs on it that suck), up to 5 star. I then use smart playlists to weight every star rating, so I have a playlist that at all times has 5 two star, 20 three star, 50 four star and 80 five star, as well as 50 unrated tracks and 50 4 and 5 star tracks that have not been played in the last 6 months. There's a rule in it to not include songs that have played in the last day, to always ensure that the songs are rotated. It works really really well, I can leave it running all day and have a varied selection of music that is entirely tailored to my taste, while never getting stale.

I never realised how reliant I was on iTunes DJ to make this work until it disappeared. I only used to use it because I liked to see what was coming up and refresh it if there was a string of tracks I wasn't into at the time, but now realise it was the one thing that was making the whole thing work.

The Drifter
Apr 21, 2006

Betjeman posted:

I use ratings to create a "radio station" type playlist that I can leave running without ever needing to change it unless I want to play an entire album or something.

I've been pretty anal about rating everything. 1 star means "never play, song is utter poo poo or does not work at all outside the context of the album" (if I have a whole album, I never delete the songs on it that suck), up to 5 star. I then use smart playlists to weight every star rating, so I have a playlist that at all times has 5 two star, 20 three star, 50 four star and 80 five star, as well as 50 unrated tracks and 50 4 and 5 star tracks that have not been played in the last 6 months. There's a rule in it to not include songs that have played in the last day, to always ensure that the songs are rotated. It works really really well, I can leave it running all day and have a varied selection of music that is entirely tailored to my taste, while never getting stale.

I never realised how reliant I was on iTunes DJ to make this work until it disappeared. I only used to use it because I liked to see what was coming up and refresh it if there was a string of tracks I wasn't into at the time, but now realise it was the one thing that was making the whole thing work.

This sounds like a really good way of rotating music. Mind sharing your smart playlist rules?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
iTunes 11 is mostly fine, but either my eyesight's gone bad or the letters in the playing track are blurry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Call Now posted:

iTunes 11 is mostly fine, but either my eyesight's gone bad or the letters in the playing track are blurry.

I think they just have a shadow. Not an attractive shadow, though.