Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Is there a generic "what's this critter?" thread somewhere? I thought there was one in GBS but I can't seem to find it any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

OneEightHundred posted:

Is there a generic "what's this critter?" thread somewhere? I thought there was one in GBS but I can't seem to find it any more.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474165

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
Are there any goon threads for recommendations of TV Antennas?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EA Sports posted:

Are there any goon threads for recommendations of TV Antennas?

I see people gushing over the Leaf Antenna on Amazon all the time.

If money is no object get a crazy looking indoor/outdoor antenna.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 1, 2012

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Golbez posted:

I've never been able to understand, and the fancy mathy explanation on Wikipedia isn't helping, how would faster-than-light communications violate causality? I don't understand how any definition of it leads to receiving a reply before you send the original message, or what not.

The issue come from the fact that the idea of "at the same time" doesn't really hold up when two objects are moving relative to one another. This comes from the fact that light always demonstrably travels at a constant speed relative to an observer.

Wikipedia posted:

A flash of light is given off at the center of the traincar just as the two observers pass each other. The observer on board the train sees the front and back of the traincar at fixed distances from the source of light and as such, according to this observer, the light will reach the front and back of the traincar at the same time.
The observer standing on the platform, on the other hand, sees the rear of the traincar moving (catching up) toward the point at which the flash was given off and the front of the traincar moving away from it. As the speed of light is finite and the same in all directions for all observers, the light headed for the back of the train will have less distance to cover than the light headed for the front. Thus, the flashes of light will strike the ends of the traincar at different times.

Imagine a train 800,000 meters long, chugging away at 100,000 m/s. At each end of the train, there is a gun that can fire bullets at INFINITE SPEED - at the instant the trigger is pulled, they destroy whatever they're pointed at. Each gun is hooked up to a photosensor. When the photosensor at the front of the train is triggered, it fires at the rear of the train instantly. When the photosensor at the rear of the train is triggered, it waits 0.5 seconds, then fires at the front of the train.

A light in the middle of the train flashes. A man on the train sees this. The light takes ~1.33 (=4/3) seconds to reach the front and rear of the train - it travels at 300,000 m/s, and has 400,000 meters in each direction to travel. The gun at the front of the train fires instantly, destroying the photosensor at the rear of the train. The gun at the rear of the train never fires.

A light in the middle of the train flashes. A man on the platform sees this. The light takes 1 second to reach the rear of the train - the light travels back at 300,000 m/s, and the train travels forward at 100,000 m/s, for a relative speed of 400,000 m/s, traveling a distance of 400,000 m. The light takes 2 seconds to reach the front of the train - the light moves forward at 300,000 m/s, but the train also moves forward at 100,000 m/s, for a difference of 200,000 m/s, and 400,000 m to travel. The photosensor at the rear of the train is struck, it waits 0.5 seconds, and it fires, destroying the sensor at the front of the train 0.5 seconds before the flash reaches it. The gun at the front of the train never fires.

The train comes to a stop, and the two men discuss which gun still has a bullet in it.

Physics is loving weird.

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 1, 2012

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
A question about european shoe sizes! My old Birkenstocks have gotten too disgusting to wear anymore, so I want to get a new pair. According to the sizing info here, I should get a 43, which I think is the same size as my old pair. The size dropdown has 43 N EU and 43 M EU though, and I'm not sure what these mean. Narrow/medium? Neuter/men? What size should I get here?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

stubblyhead posted:

A question about european shoe sizes! My old Birkenstocks have gotten too disgusting to wear anymore, so I want to get a new pair. According to the sizing info here, I should get a 43, which I think is the same size as my old pair. The size dropdown has 43 N EU and 43 M EU though, and I'm not sure what these mean. Narrow/medium? Neuter/men? What size should I get here?

My girlfriend was confused by this last year when buying her birkies. I think that N is the narrower shoe whereas M is for wide, spade-like feet such as mine. Pretty sure she got N and her feet are normal width.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Mr. Squishy posted:

I used to have a simple way to understand why speed, mass and time were related, but decided to forget it and take it on trust instead. Something to do with E equalling MC squared I'm sure.

If you have more speed you have more energy. If you have more energy then by E = m*C^2 you must have more mass.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Litch991 posted:

Any help with iTunes audio woes would be greatly appreciated.

All the tracks for my books are being sorted 1, 10, 11, 2, 3, 4, etc. Any fix for this issue?

Also - each CD I burn of my books keeps being read as separate books. I tried "part of compilation" and nothing happens. There are still 11 different "books" when in reality it's just an 11 CD book.

Found a thousand different answers online and any smart goon tips would be incredibly appreciated. Thanks!!

All I can help with is the first part, since I have the same problem with looking at picture files in order sometimes. You'll probably have to rename the tracks to be 01, 02, 03, etc to make sure they play in order before 10, 11, and 12.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

mirthdefect posted:

If you have a string of ciphertext made from two natural language statements (say if your base message is encoded with a passage from a book), is it possible to attack it with a letter-frequency method or is it just as secure as using a one time pad?

I would think that even if you know the distribution of the two text segments and can assume the modulo 26 addition, there are so many potential ways to arrive at any given letter in the final cipher you could do nothing useful with it.
Help?

You're thinking is wrong. Which is to say that, as long as there is enough ciphertext output, then decryption will become possible. The difference between the number of possibilities for a randomly chosen string and a string of English text is enough. Further, there are correlations between one letter and the next and one word and the next. The Americans were able to decrypt Russian messages where one-time pads were re-used by xoring them together, which results in one plaintext encrypting the other. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venona_project for more on their methods.

Overall, using the method you describe (which is a Vigenere cipher where the key length equals the message length) is slightly better than no encryption, but a dedicated person with some computer programming knowledge would be eventually able to break it, whereas a one-time pad (where the key is truly random) is completely unbreakable.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Question, I'm in the UK, trying to buy a present for someone in CA via Amazon. the delivery address absolutely requires a phone number, which I don't have. As its a secret santa thing I don't have/can't get a number. what should I do? I don't even know how to make a fake US phone number :v:

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Cakefool posted:

Question, I'm in the UK, trying to buy a present for someone in CA via Amazon. the delivery address absolutely requires a phone number, which I don't have. As its a secret santa thing I don't have/can't get a number. what should I do? I don't even know how to make a fake US phone number :v:

http://www.whitepages.com/

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Gravity Pike posted:

The train comes to a stop, and the two men discuss which gun still has a bullet in it.

Physics is loving weird.
Great explanation, thank you. So the reason this applies to light and not to slower communication is because of the relativistic qualities, that a third observer will see something different from the participants?

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I've been ripping CD-R's of assorted playlists from years ago. Most songs come out as Track01.mp3, Track02.mp3, etc. Usually I can scan the file and get the metadata so that the track will be correctly identified on an mp3 player, but on Windows, the files are still named Track03.mp3, Track04.mp3, etc.

I'm wondering if there's a program that'll not only label the metadata, but edit the actual file on Windows as well.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cakefool posted:

As a helpful tip, using the prefix "555" is always a dummy number on standard phone numbers (not toll or toll-free)

So if you take a number like 310-555-1212, it will always ring to a non-existant phone. The only question is it Amazon will accept 555 numbers.

Alternatively you can always just go to http://www.fakenamegenerator.com/ and make one up.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

ProperCoochie posted:

I've been ripping CD-R's of assorted playlists from years ago. Most songs come out as Track01.mp3, Track02.mp3, etc. Usually I can scan the file and get the metadata so that the track will be correctly identified on an mp3 player, but on Windows, the files are still named Track03.mp3, Track04.mp3, etc.

I'm wondering if there's a program that'll not only label the metadata, but edit the actual file on Windows as well.

Mediamonkey can do this

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FCKGW posted:

As a helpful tip, using the prefix "555" is always a dummy number on standard phone numbers (not toll or toll-free)

So if you take a number like 310-555-1212, it will always ring to a non-existant phone. The only question is it Amazon will accept 555 numbers.

Alternatively you can always just go to http://www.fakenamegenerator.com/ and make one up.

Wrong. There are many valid area code-555-something numbers, only a few of the numbers are reserved now.

Only 555-0100 through 555-0199 are reserved for fictional use in all area codes, with the exception of area code 800 where only 555-0199 is reserved. If you call say 310-555-1569 there might be someone there.

555-1212 is reserved in all area codes in for directory assistance.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

Wrong. There are many valid area code-555-something numbers, only a few of the numbers are reserved now.

Only 555-0100 through 555-0199 are reserved for fictional use in all area codes, with the exception of area code 800 where only 555-0199 is reserved. If you call say 310-555-1569 there might be someone there.

555-1212 is reserved in all area codes in for directory assistance.

Smartest kid in America, ladies and gentlemen :tipshat:

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
Why does Ink Masters have a time limit?

Who would get a tattoo from someone on a time limit? :psyduck:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ProperCoochie posted:

MusicBrainz Picard can tag, sort and rename your music for you.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I'm looking to donate to a charity that gives poor kids Christmas gifts. Anyone know of any?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
http://www.toysfortots.org

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Yeah toys for tots springs to mind. I searched for it on Charity Navigator and found this one too:
http://www.emptystockingfund.org/

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Yeah toys for tots springs to mind. I searched for it on Charity Navigator and found this one too:
http://www.emptystockingfund.org/

Exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks :)

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I have a desk with a flip-down lid which was made by The Bombay Company. Is there a way to figure out what kind of skeleton key goes with it? I think it's a weird L-shaped one, but I really have no idea.
Where the hell can I find specific shaped skeleton keys?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Wedemeyer posted:

I have a desk with a flip-down lid which was made by The Bombay Company. Is there a way to figure out what kind of skeleton key goes with it? I think it's a weird L-shaped one, but I really have no idea.
Where the hell can I find specific shaped skeleton keys?

Would it be an option to just replace the old lock with a new one?
http://woodworking.rockler.com/c/cabinet-locks-furniture-locks

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Does anyone remember the thread that was all about that I think Chinese website that offered cheap discounted goods , there was a pretty big thread in GBS but I couldn't find it at all, anyway what was the name of the site? I wanted to order their surprise bags.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

Gravity Pike posted:

You can armchair-lawyer the Wikipedia article on Defamation, but the honest truth is that no one who matters is going to give a poo poo about your blog. Most people will also take into account the Streisand Effect - the article "Paul Ryan is a Chimpfucker" is going to get next to zero attention on the internet, but the article, "Paul Ryan Sues Independent Journalist Over Allegations of Chimpfuckery" is going to be an awfully big deal.

Thanks!

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Hollis posted:

Does anyone remember the thread that was all about that I think Chinese website that offered cheap discounted goods , there was a pretty big thread in GBS but I couldn't find it at all, anyway what was the name of the site? I wanted to order their surprise bags.

Do you mean dealextreme.com ? It's pretty good for expendable junk. As long as you don't mind waiting a few months.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Namarrgon posted:

Do you mean dealextreme.com ? It's pretty good for expendable junk. As long as you don't mind waiting a few months.

Yeah that was it, ah that sucks I thought it was a couple of weeks. I was going to use it for Christmas gifts. I think that was the thread there were some other sites listed as well. I thought the thread was still in GBS but it seems to be in the archives maybe.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 2, 2012

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The surprise bags turned out to be angry birds themed iPhone cases & nds r4 carts, almost nothing else. A clever way of clearing poo poo stock really.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Hollis posted:

Yeah that was it, ah that sucks I thought it was a couple of weeks. I was going to use it for Christmas gifts. I think that was the thread there were some other sites listed as well. I thought the thread was still in GBS but it seems to be in the archives maybe.

Nope, it's still there: http://forums.somethingawful.com/bookmarkthreads.php?perage=40&sortorder=desc&sortfield=&pagenumber=3

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
If I'm driving on a divided highway at night, is it okay to have my brights on or would I blind the drivers on the other side?

I'm wondering about a specific highway that I drive on a lot where the median is probably about as wide as both sides of the road combined.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

that just leads to a bookmark.

Your not suppose to use your brights except when its rainy etc..

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Hollis posted:

Your not suppose to use your brights except when its rainy etc..

Really? If it's after dark I keep mine on until a car comes towards me. It seems like everyone does this because you can tell when the car coming towards you switches their brights off (or forgets to do so!)

EDIT: The reason I asked is because on the big divided highways I never see people switching their brights on and off like on the two-lane smaller highways. I was kind of wondering if that's because everyone is leaving their brights on and they're far enough to the side that you can't tell, or if everyone is leaving their brights off.

razz fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 2, 2012

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hollis posted:

that just leads to a bookmark.

Try this one: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3454567

There's some surprisingly okay stuff on DealExtreme mixed in among all the junk. But to get Christmas gifts off of the site now would require a big scoop of luck -- shipping usually takes more than three weeks.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

razz posted:

If I'm driving on a divided highway at night, is it okay to have my brights on or would I blind the drivers on the other side?

I'm wondering about a specific highway that I drive on a lot where the median is probably about as wide as both sides of the road combined.

It's not just bad for oncoming traffic, it annoying for people in front of you too due to their rear view mirror.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

razz posted:

You might need to get your regular headlights replaced if they're uncomfortably dark while you're driving, leading you to put on the brights.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
There are divided highways that have no lights and low traffic. Depending on where he is, brights may actually be a smart choice. Obviously turn them off if someone's ahead of you or coming up in the other lane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
Do flannels shrink enough to justify my buying one size larger than I normally would?

If so, I need to run back to the store to exchange something.

Edit: Is there a clothes care megathread?

Raimundus fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 3, 2012