Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.
loving hell, HIGNFY was almost uniformly poo poo, but Jack Whitehall's terrible terrible jokes managed to make everything else look great in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Taear posted:

Nathan Barley really is one of those shows that came out...before it should have done. The stereotypes of people that are in it are much more widespread than they were when the show was originally on and I feel like I "get it" far more.

Also although I liked series 1 of Idiot Abroad I have a really hard time watching series 2 and this new one. It feels so much more scripted and maybe a little xenophobic too. I guess it's the same thing that gets me about Top Gear - sure you knew it was all fake before, but suddenly it feels fake too now.

Now I think it would be redundant though since everyone makes hipster jokes anyway.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Geokinesis posted:

Will on the left.
Jay middle left?
Neil middle right?
Simon on the right.(I mean he is holding the spraycan).

E:
I get what you mean though, they appear pretty samey.

Got it in one. (drat, I missed the spray can - though of the rest of the pictures I could have used were too obvious - Will holding on to a briefcase, Simon holding on to the car door, etc)

Everyone should check out the first trailer they had. It honestly wasn't as bad as it made it out to be - and that trailer makes it out to be pretty terrible - It just wasn't that funny. Too many fixed grins, and it felt too much like a bad American Pie movie (but as a series).

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 1, 2012

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Mr Phillby posted:

It just won't be the same without Tim.

I'm sad that Miranda's leaving, but I am devastated when Tim quits. I mean, where does the show go? Are they going to change the love interest as well?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

toanoradian posted:

I'm sad that Miranda's leaving

You're possibly the only person who could be sad about Miranda Hart being on television less.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
You know what, I liked Jack Whitehall in his non-Fresh Meat appearances too!

i disagree with you haters

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I think the main problem with the US Inbetweeners is the fact that its not remotely different from any other high school comedy. The original was at least something new for UK audiences. Its difficult for me to relate with US teens getting ready for the prom, but getting smashed on energy drinks to prepare for exams and disastrous trips to Thorpe Park? We've all been there.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I'm quite fond of Jack Whitehall, myself. What's not to like?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I think it's mostly reverse snobbery and the fact that his dad is an agent and may have helped him get where he is.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

He reminds me of a third rate stand up comic at the open mic night of a poo poo universities SU.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
His standup is pretty poo poo and so is Bad Education, but in Fresh Meat and on panel shows and stuff he's perfectly fine.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Didn't we just have this Jack Whitehall conversation a month ago?

Gorn Myson posted:

Its difficult for me to relate with US teens getting ready for the prom.

When I said this to my friends most of them said they had proms in the 6th form, I was apparently the only one who didn't have the option at all (some did but didn't go) so maybe that's a thing that happens in the UK now?

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

thebardyspoon posted:

When I said this to my friends most of them said they had proms in the 6th form, I was apparently the only one who didn't have the option at all (some did but didn't go) so maybe that's a thing that happens in the UK now?
It is now. Blame sixth formers who think it's a tradition because it's on television.

:downs:

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

Chuck Bartowski posted:

He's great in Fresh Meat and I thought he seemed nice on the episode of WILTY that he was on, but on last night's HIGNFY he kept making lots of really weak jokes about how old Baroness Trumpington was which I found really cringey. To be fair, he may not have written them, but I assume he has a veto on which jokes he says.

Anyway, my previous remark was probably a bad mood overreaction, but still, it wasn't great.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Gorn Myson posted:

I think the main problem with the US Inbetweeners is the fact that its not remotely different from any other high school comedy. The original was at least something new for UK audiences. Its difficult for me to relate with US teens getting ready for the prom, but getting smashed on energy drinks to prepare for exams and disastrous trips to Thorpe Park? We've all been there.

For Inbetweeners its more like the 'cringe comedy' divide between the US and UK.
The US is still learning how to do cringe comedy, sure Curb Your Enthusiasm is the ultimate and best of the genre so far, but it too is tame compared to some UK comedy situations. The Inbetweeners is cringe laughable, by UK standards its average, US standards it's over board.

And it doesn't help making your characters catalogue models (even the fat kid is stylized to the nth degree). Do US shows get clothing sponsors, cant imagine why they over do this.

Edit: Northern Ireland schools have 'formals' that go back waaaaaay back to the 50s at least (dad was at his). We had a stripper at my one, and ended up being banned from that hotel hosting it.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 1, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: Some of the humour shifted slightly too. It was no longer that say, "Jay is obsessed with sex and makes up stories about all his conquests", it started leaning towards "Jay is fat and obessed with sex." The rhythm of the dialogue killed it too.

My sixth form had one. It was very English. That is to say, we went to some cheap place with a bar (I think it might have been a function room in a hotel or something), and got slashed, and then went on a crawl afterwards. Teachers too (they weren't much older than us). No drama or anything, just a bunch of people meeting up to have a laugh, a drink, and then pray they never loving see each other again.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 1, 2012

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Technically, 'Proms' are just the repackaging of Dance Hall Swing Parties/Balls of the 19th century.

My local Secondary School started doing them in 2003 a year before I left. I never went because it is silly and too much work for a sixteen year old and his family.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Whitefish posted:

He's great in Fresh Meat and I thought he seemed nice on the episode of WILTY that he was on, but on last night's HIGNFY he kept making lots of really weak jokes about how old Baroness Trumpington was which I found really cringey. To be fair, he may not have written them, but I assume he has a veto on which jokes he says.

Anyway, my previous remark was probably a bad mood overreaction, but still, it wasn't great.

Haven't seen last nights HIGNFY but JP is by far my favourite Fresh Meat character (actually Vod's quite close) and I liked on WILTY and yes

Paperhouse posted:

His standup is pretty poo poo

Still quite like him though. Doesn't hurt that he's handsome, either.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Jack Whitehall's alright in small doses, just like Michael McIntyre. Any longer than ten minutes, then it's intolerable.

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
Can't stand Whitehall myself, thought he made a garbage guest host last night and that's now two poo poo HIGNFY's back to back.

Can we have Alexander Armstrong full time now please ?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Pesky Splinter posted:

Jack Whitehall's alright in small doses, just like Michael McIntyre. Any longer than ten minutes, then it's intolerable.

Both of them are cunts whose entire routines consist of sneering at the working class. gently caress them both.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Flatscan posted:

Both of them are cunts whose entire routines consist of sneering at the working class. gently caress them both.

Really? I don't know about MacIntyre, but Whitehall seems to make fun of himself more than anyone else, playing on posh stereotypes against himself and being willing to get into ridiculous get-ups on A League of Their Own.

In his early Mock the Week days I'd agree with you, but I find him alright these days.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Xachariah posted:

Really? I don't know about MacIntyre, but Whitehall seems to make fun of himself more than anyone else, playing on posh stereotypes against himself and being willing to get into ridiculous get-ups on A League of Their Own.

When I saw him at the Fringe a couple of years ago he had a routine about someone on Jeremy Kyle who he expected to be awful because they had a Geordie accent. The whole joke was basically "wow, he wasn't awful for a few minutes and then he was so phew it's still okay to look down on Northerners. Thank god."

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

El Patron posted:

Can't stand Whitehall myself, thought he made a garbage guest host last night and that's now two poo poo HIGNFY's back to back.

Can we have Alexander Armstrong full time now please ?

Next week David Mitchell's hosting with Susan Calman and Janet Street-Porter. I don't mind Susan Calman on HIGNFY but oh Christ, Janet Street-Porter. She's awful.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Flatscan posted:

Because he's the sort of bloke that saves every penny, he's probably got a small fortune in the bank. That's also how he's been paying both halves of the rent, I'd wager.

Doesn't Mark own the flat? I always assumed he did and that was why he was so concerned about the water damage in the birth episode. Of course, he'd still have to pay the mortgage, but I never thought they were renting.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Mickolution posted:

Doesn't Mark own the flat? I always assumed he did and that was why he was so concerned about the water damage in the birth episode. Of course, he'd still have to pay the mortgage, but I never thought they were renting.

That's probably true, but he said he was covering Jez's rent, which is why I phrased it that way.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Flatscan posted:

That's probably true, but he said he was covering Jez's rent, which is why I phrased it that way.

Yeah, same difference really. Just something I always assumed, not sure if it's been cleared up.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

onoflalks posted:

Next week David Mitchell's hosting with Susan Calman and Janet Street-Porter. I don't mind Susan Calman on HIGNFY but oh Christ, Janet Street-Porter. She's awful.

Wonder if she'll make David Mitchell fear for his life again. He looked genuinely scared when she came at him that one time on WILTY.

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
my favourite joke of jack whitehall's is where he starts speaking in slang and pretends to be a cool urban youth, which is funny in itself, but it's extra funny when you realise he is the exact opposite of that lmao. he keeps the laughs coming

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

le chat posted:

my favourite joke of jack whitehall's is where he starts speaking in slang and pretends to be a cool urban youth, which is funny in itself, but it's extra funny when you realise he is the exact opposite of that lmao. he keeps the laughs coming

I think you're confusing him with Tim Westwood.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

rolleyes posted:

Was anyone else watching Secret State on Channel 4? If so, what the hell did I miss with the ending, or was it really intended to be that open-ended?

Dawkins' picture was on the staircase of 10 Downing Street, signifying that he lost the confidence vote and the resulting election, and MI6/Petrofex/the M-I complex got to invade Iran.

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

thehustler posted:

I think you're confusing him with Tim Westwood.

no

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I hate Alan Davies, he's a desperado attention seeker & interrupts better comedians all the time just to finish their jokes or is doing his own middle-class idiot quaint poo poo routine. He has never made me laugh. Ever. I wish the idiot-seat was permanently given to Ross Noble or Johnny Vegas & Alan Davies was turned into a wax model for Scouse dogs to piss on.

Also Jack Whitehall should receive a similar fate somehow connected to stuff he has done in his life (like be a dick to Liverpool) but I don't know anything about him in order to write it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

BisonDollah posted:

like be a dick to Liverpool
I have two questions.

1) What happened?
2) Are you from or currently reside in Liverpool?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
So you guys hate Jack Whitehall and Noel Fielding. Maybe it's because I'm American and most of our famous people are unabashedly terrible, but they seem alright to me. What about Bill Bailey, Frankie Boyle, Joe Wilkinson, David O'Daugherty (sp?), Mickey Flanagan, Jimmy Carr? Those are the only ones I can remember from all the panel shows that usually always make me laugh.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Well some of those people are famous and popular, you see, so I don't like them for reasons.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Mickey Flanagan is poo poo, don't know the middle two.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I think the key difference is the names you mentioned there are genuinely talented comedians who have honed their craft over years in various contexts. And I don't even particularly like some of them, but I am more than happy to admit that when they are on form, they are spellbinding.

Whitehall and Fielding aren't really like that. Fielding doesn't have a craft to hone because he just says random things and hopes for the best, and Whitehall's approach was pretty much "Get dad to put me on the TV first and sort out of the comedy bit later". Except he still hasn't sorted it out.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
gently caress Frankie Boyle, most of his jokes are about taking the piss out of mentally or physically disabled people and rape, and he always handles both in the least sensitive and funny manner possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I try to watch most mainstream stand up but the majority of it just makes me cringe and not in a good way. Most of the time I'm left thinking what exactly are these people laughing it. I'd like to find some more off the radar British comics, but I haven't really explored whats available. Any recommendations for a comedian who isn't called Russell?

Stewart Lee's new show, Carpet Remnant World on the other hand has been released and it is as good as he has ever been... as long as you like Stewart Lee.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 2, 2012