Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

Okay, for those of you who want to spoof names for Hilarious Gimmick Build Comedy, use this pointer in your pre-existing Cheat Engine table. It does show as changed to other people, but if they look at their recent players list, they will be able to see you normally. So, you can't impersonate someone else (also you are a dick for even thinking of trying that).

code:
    <CheatEntry>
      <ID>222</ID>
      <Description>"Displayed GFWL Name"</Description>
      <Color>80000008</Color>
      <VariableType>String</VariableType>
      <Length>15</Length>
      <Unicode>0</Unicode>
      <ZeroTerminate>1</ZeroTerminate>
      <Address>13DEAF0</Address>
      <Offsets>
        <Offset>FFFFFE80</Offset>
      </Offsets>
    </CheatEntry>
The one caveat is that the second you change names, GFWL will not gather IP data for your IP pool anymore, even if you change it back. Maybe it'll do it again if you change areas or something, I don't know. So, what you have to do is let it do its warm-up, and THEN change names and go invading or what have you. As far as I can tell there's no way around this restriction.

Thanks - I've been gimmicking around with changing my name, except every time I did it I could never seem to do any multiplayer. Another goon could see my changed name, but couldn't summon me - might have been on one of our ends, except I also set myself up as invasion bait (unhollowed and hacked my level up) and that consistently failed too.

I also couldn't work out how to get the pointer since it did its thing while the program was launching and I'm not fast enough :argh:

e: What the hell, might as well ask - how did you get the pointer?

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Dec 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I just happened to notice that the address for the name was close to the address where your last bonfire used was stored, so I used the pointer for that and changed the offset.

Aug 24, 2011

Left Dark Souls running with a save open for about an hour and a half, changed my name, can't seem to get any multiplayer going. I have a soul level of 1, and am attempting to invade with cracked red eyes, moving to various locales.

Guess it doesn't work at all if you change it :( I have been testing this for several days - people can see your sign if you drop it, but can't summon you.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I just ran in without a guide and only a vague notion of what the boss was like, two-handing a black knight greataxe +3, and one-shot Seath the Scaleless.

Getting to the boss was harder than killing him. :darksouls:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Anyone have any thoughts on how hard a Karmic Justice terrorist build would be to make? I'm thinking WotG, KJ, the Gravelord Dances, and maybe Force (to help me buy room to cast boomboom spells). Basically, how much pain am I asking for in trying to take such a character, turn him into a Dickwraith, and get to Anor Londo?

Edit: Started doing an SL1 character instead. Quelaag would be a LOT easier if I had thought to bring some moss down here before I dove to the bottom of BT and started wailing on her. :downs: She's a much more fun fight as a melee than a sorcerer though, even if I'm using Maneater Mildred for some (much needed) help. (That's considered legit on SL1 runs, right? Some of this stuff seems like it'd be impossible without a helping NPC hand)

Magres fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Dec 1, 2012

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Magres posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on how hard a Karmic Justice terrorist build would be to make? I'm thinking WotG, KJ, the Gravelord Dances, and maybe Force (to help me buy room to cast boomboom spells). Basically, how much pain am I asking for in trying to take such a character, turn him into a Dickwraith, and get to Anor Londo?

Edit: Started doing an SL1 character instead. Quelaag would be a LOT easier if I had thought to bring some moss down here before I dove to the bottom of BT and started wailing on her. :downs: She's a much more fun fight as a melee than a sorcerer though, even if I'm using Maneater Mildred for some (much needed) help. (That's considered legit on SL1 runs, right? Some of this stuff seems like it'd be impossible without a helping NPC hand)

What you want to do with Karmic Justice is get a decent Int. level and a great catalyst like Tin Crystal. Use that in your right hand after you cast Karmic Justice. In your left hand, keep a shield that doesn't block 100% damage. Now, go find someone to hit your shield and enjoy murdering them.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I thought karmic justice was a Miracle, if it's not I'm just gonna turn my sorceror into a KJ terrorist with Eagle shield (that 1.05 "nerf" is a wonderful thing)

In other news, suck it Blight Town, skipped your dumb rear end. Quelaag took like five tries and Mildred did all the heavy DPS lifting, but it was still super exciting to fight a boss point blank when she had two attacks that would gib me (I distracted her as much as possible while Mildred went to town on her)

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Today I learned that Silver Knights can backstab you! I learned this by ninja flipping around like a madman and landing with my back right to him. There was blood everywhere, and it was awful.

Anyway, that CMW Ricard's build I posted the other night is working wonderfully. I'm level 64 and am just going from place to place Dickwraithing and it's an absolute blast. If they decide to block a Crystal Homing Soul Mass instead of dodging it pretty much always breaks their guard, and I can just drop the R2 combo and win. If they're better than that, I can just poke away since the range is nice, the magic damage goes through shields, and I can flip out of reach if needed. If I really want to commit to the combo I could put on something with poise, but that's a different kind of being an rear end in a top hat.

By the way, Velka's Rapier doesn't seem too popular of a weapon and I don't know why. For PvP it's meh, but for PvE, it really has some kick for Dex/Int builds. You can't enchant it, but the scaling is actually pretty decent for a mixed damage weapon. And besides, the two-handed R2 slashes spells out V (FOR VELKA) in the air, which more than makes up for its deficiencies.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Magres posted:

I thought karmic justice was a Miracle, if it's not I'm just gonna turn my sorceror into a KJ terrorist with Eagle shield (that 1.05 "nerf" is a wonderful thing)

In other news, suck it Blight Town, skipped your dumb rear end. Quelaag took like five tries and Mildred did all the heavy DPS lifting, but it was still super exciting to fight a boss point blank when she had two attacks that would gib me (I distracted her as much as possible while Mildred went to town on her)

It is a miracle, BUT, its damage is based off the MagAdjust of whatever's in your right hand at the time it pops.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Do silver knights with spears just ignore your shields when they attack? I've had them go through my +10 Balder Shield like it wasn't there.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Magres posted:

http://mmdks.com/d65 Here's the build based off the video.

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.
I think I finally encountered my first hacker. I'm SL 20 in the depths and I was invaded by a guy who casted about 20 acid surges in a row, then several toxic and poison mists. I managed to backstab him for 80 damage and it was less than 10% of his max HP, so I ran. Luckily he fell down a hole so I went and hid until he left, but that was really annoying. Almost ruined my no death run. :(

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

Do silver knights with spears just ignore your shields when they attack? I've had them go through my +10 Balder Shield like it wasn't there.

Both types of Silver Knights have a really telegraphed running attack that is unblockable. Just dodge or sidestep and backstab them when you see them get into the running start animation.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

It took me 162 and a half hours, but I finally saw my first Vagrant! Aaand all he dropped was a lovely Twin Humanities. Aren't they supposed to give you a lot of souls? I thought they only spawned from rare items or massive soul bloodstains.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm thinking about starting a third new character: a pyromancer. An alternative would be to put some sort of ranged spell on my wanderer... are there any spells to be had in undeadburg that I'm missing?

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

I'm thinking about starting a third new character: a pyromancer. An alternative would be to put some sort of ranged spell on my wanderer... are there any spells to be had in undeadburg that I'm missing?

You unlock the first pyromancy trainer in the Depths, there aren't any spells in the Undead Burg. You could suicide run Blighttown for Power Within and Poison Mist I guess, but it's not something I would recommend.

If you create a Wanderer you can learn Soul Arrow right off the bat for 2500 souls from Rickert in New Londo and use that for a while, it's really good in the first areas.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Heavy Lobster posted:

It took me 162 and a half hours, but I finally saw my first Vagrant! Aaand all he dropped was a lovely Twin Humanities. Aren't they supposed to give you a lot of souls? I thought they only spawned from rare items or massive soul bloodstains.

Where was this at?

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
I forwarded to the GFWL ports and the red eye orb still fails every single time I use it, gently caress. I'm about to start my first NG and my dude has 25 vitality, 40 end and 36 str. Should I keep pumping strength or would something like intelligence or faith be useful to start putting points in? SLVL 76

e: Tried to use the arena for about 10 minutes with no bites. gently caress this, I'm going to kill Gwyn.

a dog from hell fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 1, 2012

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Nobody uses the arena. Try the township.

Also if any of you don't have the chance to play Demon's Souls but are curious about it, like I am, Frickenmoron is streaming it right now.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
Just got hit with a really annoying bug. I had 2 fire keepers souls and when I upgraded my flasks it used them both but only added +1. loving great.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dreggon posted:

Left Dark Souls running with a save open for about an hour and a half, changed my name, can't seem to get any multiplayer going. I have a soul level of 1, and am attempting to invade with cracked red eyes, moving to various locales.

Guess it doesn't work at all if you change it :( I have been testing this for several days - people can see your sign if you drop it, but can't summon you.

It might be their end. I definitely changed my name and managed to summon someone with it changed. You can also invade, seeing as how you can be invaded by namechanged people.

It is possible that summoning a namechanged person may always fail, but I don't see why two connection types would work and one wouldn't.

There are actually three consistent pointers related to your GFWL name. One controls how it is displayed, one stores what GFWL account you are logged into (never change this, it's... not a good idea), and one does... I have no clue. It's listed alongside the cache of other people's GFWL names.

---

Okay, I got invaded with my name changed, and it still had my old name on the "you invaded the world of Person".

There's probably a variable for each message type, and you have to change them all.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 1, 2012

ISUCHARESLOLO
Dec 10, 2005

The verb "to google" has come to mean "to perform a Web search", usually with the Google search engine.

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I did an int/dex build not too long ago. I'd recommend getting 36 int so you can cast some of the crazier spells, and 40 dex so you can take full advantage of a good dex scaling weapon + crystal magic weapon. Between that and dark bead, you can pretty much two-shot most bosses until halfway through NG+ once you get your gear leveled up.

There are magic-scaling permanent enchants, but by and large they aren't going to be as powerful as dex/str scaling with a temporary magic enchant.

Sadly int builds don't really add that much variety, since most players just piggyback onto a dex or str build in order to get the most out of it, unless they're specifically going for a low-level run.

Thanks for the information. Dex/Int build it is. I can't really complain because this means I get to use my Uchigatana again for this playthrough. Although I might give rapiers a chance despite not really liking their attack animations.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Lazy Programming posted:

http://mmdks.com/d65 Here's the build based off the video.

You're a nice person and your Alvina avatar makes me :3: every time. Thank you!

Edit: On a side note, does anyone know how you get Quelaana to appear? I can't figure it out, I've had her appear for me when I hadn't even cast a single pyro spell all game, and I've had her refuse to appear when I had a +10-15 flame on me. Weird

Magres fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 2, 2012

Aug 24, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

It might be their end. I definitely changed my name and managed to summon someone with it changed. You can also invade, seeing as how you can be invaded by namechanged people.

It is possible that summoning a namechanged person may always fail, but I don't see why two connection types would work and one wouldn't.

There are actually three consistent pointers related to your GFWL name. One controls how it is displayed, one stores what GFWL account you are logged into (never change this, it's... not a good idea), and one does... I have no clue. It's listed alongside the cache of other people's GFWL names.

---

Okay, I got invaded with my name changed, and it still had my old name on the "you invaded the world of Person".

There's probably a variable for each message type, and you have to change them all.

I'm going to test whether the IP addresses gathered are dependent on your username at the time they're gathered - so if you gather addresses for an hour, and then change your name, maybe those addresses try to connect to your old name.

I can't imagine why this would work, but... GFWL.

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.

Magres posted:

Edit: On a side note, does anyone know how you get Quelaana to appear? I can't figure it out, I've had her appear for me when I hadn't even cast a single pyro spell all game, and I've had her refuse to appear when I had a +10-15 flame on me. Weird

In my experience she's always appeared after I've placed the Lordvessel. Rescuing Laurentius might also help, I don't think we've ever had any solid information on Quelana's appearance honestly.

e: I suspect taking down the Bed of Chaos will make her appear no ifs no buts, all things considered. Needless to say that's rather baseless speculation but whatever~

Mystic Cave zOWNd fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 2, 2012

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

Where was this at?

In the church in the Undead Burg; I was running back to get my bloodstain after a failed Darkwraithing, and it was chilling out to the left of where the Firekeeper Soul and Rhea are.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dreggon posted:

I'm going to test whether the IP addresses gathered are dependent on your username at the time they're gathered - so if you gather addresses for an hour, and then change your name, maybe those addresses try to connect to your old name.

I can't imagine why this would work, but... GFWL.

There's two separate addresses.

One controls the name that appears on your summon sign, and another controls the name that you show up as to an invader who invades your world. Two separate things. Go figure.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
So, my friend and I have activated sperg mode and want to build Lordran in Minecraft. It would be ideal to have DaS open on one monitor and Minecraft on the other, but whenever I switch to another program, DaS auto-minimizes. I tried messing some DSfix.ini settings but I can't get anything to make this stop happening.

Any ideas?

edit: nevermind, I figured it out. Disabled fullscreen mode in game and enabled the borderless window mode in DSfix.

Foppish Yet Dashing fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 2, 2012

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Heavy Lobster posted:

In the church in the Undead Burg; I was running back to get my bloodstain after a failed Darkwraithing, and it was chilling out to the left of where the Firekeeper Soul and Rhea are.

That was mine! I dropped a Twin Humanities while invading a dude's world a while back. :3:

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
Just killed a dude who was slvl 378 twice and his indicts got me up to 69 sin.

With that bragging out of the way, he used an interesting combo of stone greatsword 2h r2 and dark bead on me so I want to make sure people know how to deal with it. As soon as you see them whip out the greatsword, you need to make a judgement call. Can you poise break them before they finish the cast and dodge away? If yes, run up to them and spaz the gently caress out, if no, try to make as much distance as possible. If you get caught in the slow, stay calm, keep your shield up, and try to keep backing away while walking in a circle as well, do not touch your dodge button. As soon as it ends, start dodging like normal. Use this same tactic for tranquil walk of peace, but keep in mind it takes longer to cast and it lasts longer.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Lazy Programming posted:

Just killed a dude who was slvl 378 twice and his indicts got me up to 69 sin.

With that bragging out of the way, he used an interesting combo of stone greatsword 2h r2 and dark bead on me so I want to make sure people know how to deal with it. As soon as you see them whip out the greatsword, you need to make a judgement call. Can you poise break them before they finish the cast and dodge away? If yes, run up to them and spaz the gently caress out, if no, try to make as much distance as possible. If you get caught in the slow, stay calm, keep your shield up, and try to keep backing away while walking in a circle as well, do not touch your dodge button. As soon as it ends, start dodging like normal. Use this same tactic for tranquil walk of peace, but keep in mind it takes longer to cast and it lasts longer.

That makes me want to incorporate tranqwalk into a Dark Sorcerer build, the SL to be able to get Dark Bead, Pursuers, and Tranqwalk is significantly lower than the SL to do it with the stone greatsword 2h r2. Good luck dodging pursuers and dark bead while you're slow as molasses :getin:

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Your existence amounts to nothing more than a goldfish swimming upriver.

PS: We are all actually cats
I just found a vagrant as well, in the Kiln.

But that may be because me and some dudes were having a disco prism stone dance off and we dropped and left anywhere from 40 to 50 individual item drops (Mostly just a bunch of stuff you tend to accumulate while grinding) before I stepped in a hole and died, the life prior to me seeing it.

cause I remember reading something about vagrants being dependent on items being left behind or something i dunno

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

That was mine! I dropped a Twin Humanities while invading a dude's world a while back. :3:

Well I'll be! Thanks for the indirect drop, it was actually really nice to see one. I saw a reddish glow out of the corner of my eye when I was walking through and thought either I was seeing things wrong or there was an invader and I had somehow totally spaced out through the message of it. Once I recognized what it was, I was pretty psyched. Close to 200 hours into the game and it's still surprising me.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Do the items have to be dropped in an area with enemies to be a vagrant? If stuff is dropped in Firelink, will it eventually be a vagrant for somebody?

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
What type of damage does the Stray Demon's blast attack do? I can't seem to figure out how to block it.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Industrial posted:

What type of damage does the Stray Demon's blast attack do? I can't seem to figure out how to block it.

Magic damage; if you haven't found a good magic-resist shield yet, continue to explore the asylum.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's easier not to block it and just stay behind him at all times. His attack that hits behind him has a small range and you can easily stand just outside of it then run in as soon as it's over.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Industrial posted:

Only good way I found was to just always be strafing and get behind him; you don't need to get too far, just make sure you stay out of spear range of his rear end and you should be good, maybe a bit farther. Doesn't help when he starts the attack while you're still in front of him, but then I also die more to him than any other early game boss :v:.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
I had a dream last night that From added a new covenant via DLC that let you invade by possessing bosses. Right before I woke up I had taken over the Taurus Demon, and was just standing there in the middle of the walkway, waiting, tapping my greataxe on the stone, knowing that the poor dude I invaded would have to come down from the tower eventually. :getin:

I've been playing this game quite a bit lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I was running through Blight town and found the shortcut to the Valley of Drakes. After killing the first Barbarian and walking forward my character got stuck in to pieces of wood on the floor the perfect distance apart to trap my feet. Circling like an idiot while the nearest Barbarian charged me and killed me, I was furious that some glitch killed me because I was carrying a lot of souls at the time. On the way back to retrieval I died again by accidentally rolling off the water wheel.

God I love this game.

• Locked thread