Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Thanks for the info, I think they have Velveeta at my grocery store. I'll make sure to use that next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Squashy Nipples posted:

Thank you! Will try for a little hotter, the dough was pretty thin.

Is your mom's family British? In the UK, they sell this vile poo poo called "Salad Cream", and it's basically sweet, runny mayo.

Also, Squashy, be sure to heat your stone on your max temp for at least 45 minutes to an hour before you plop your dough on.

Fraction posted:

I picked up some star aniseed from an amazing Chinese cash/carry (:swoon:) because I love aniseed, and then I promptly realised I have no idea what on earth to do with it. Any tips/ideas?

Anything you'd want anise in, but I would especially look at southeast Asia for inspiration (mmm, pho).

Also check out the spice thread and see if anyone has ideas there.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My wife separated a bunch of eggs to make Angel Food cake. Will the yolks last about as long in the fridge as eggs in the shell or should I plan on making a custard soon?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Amazon has a really good price for a 7" Henckels santoku in the Lightning Deals for the next two hours. Sixty bucks. If I didn't already have two Wusthofs I'd probably pick one up.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.
Okay, I knew that pineapples are a symbol of welcome and hospitality. On trying to figure out why, I found this:

"Creative food display--the main entertainment during a formal home visit--was a means by which a woman declared both her personality and her family's status. Within the bounds of their family's means, hostesses sought to outdo each other in the creation of memorable, fantasy-like dining room scenes. At such feasts, tabletops resembled small mountain ranges of tiered, pyramided and pedestaled foodstuffs often drizzled and webbed in sugar, studded with china figurines, festooned with flowers and interwoven with garlands of pine and laurel. Dinners were extravaganzas of visual delights, novel tastes, new discoveries and congenial conversation that went on for hours."
source

Does anyone have a reputable website with more information about these food displays? I want drawings and historical descriptions! I also want every party I host from now on to include an elaborate food display.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Will rust on the bottom (underside) of my cast iron pan affect the heat transfer in any noticeable way? I dont give a poo poo about the aesthetics of it, and the cooking surface is still well seasoned.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Hed posted:

My wife separated a bunch of eggs to make Angel Food cake. Will the yolks last about as long in the fridge as eggs in the shell or should I plan on making a custard soon?
Use in less than a week. If you don't feel like eating custard right away, you can freeze them:

http://community.southernliving.com/showthread.php?7646-Can-I-freeze-egg-yolks

"Egg yolks require special treatment. The gelation property of yolk causes it to thicken or gel when frozen. If frozen as is, egg yolk will eventually become so gelatinous it will be almost impossible to use in a recipe. To help retard this gelation, beat in either 1/8 teaspoon salt or 1½ teaspoons sugar or corn syrup per 1/4 cup egg yolks (4 yolks). Label the container with the number or yolks, the date, and whether you've added salt (for main dishes) or sweetener (for baking or desserts)."

IfIWereARichMan posted:

Will rust on the bottom (underside) of my cast iron pan affect the heat transfer in any noticeable way? I dont give a poo poo about the aesthetics of it, and the cooking surface is still well seasoned.

No, it's perfectly fine

edit: you might wanna scrub it off just so it doesn't spread though. $1 steel wool, then rub it with a little vegetable oil, problem solved

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 1, 2012

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

What's the most Filipino Dish you can think of? There's a Filipino market near my apartment that I've wandered through a couple times, but I never know what to try. They have some big freezers with a bunch of dinner-sized things (that I can't remember right now) and I'd like to try them... just not completely blind.

How much do ingredients overlap with other cuisines?

hot sorcery
Apr 11, 2009

Does anyone know where I can find a good bottle/jar of the tamarind dipping sauce served at Indian restaurants? Preferably online, or otherwise in Austin or NYC. A recipe and where to find the tamarind pulp/paste would be sweet, if that isn't possible :)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Jyrraeth posted:

What's the most Filipino Dish you can think of? There's a Filipino market near my apartment that I've wandered through a couple times, but I never know what to try. They have some big freezers with a bunch of dinner-sized things (that I can't remember right now) and I'd like to try them... just not completely blind.

How much do ingredients overlap with other cuisines?

http://goonswithspoons.com/Pilipino_Pood

Crispy pata, dinuguan, kare kare, pancit.

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
If I'm gonna make a mexicanish chicken stew thing, the recipe (which I've already done and works) just recommends tossing the boneless skinless thighs into the crock pot and getting to it.

Should I toss them in flour and brown them lightly first, then toss them in the pot for the extra flavor and potential thickening of the broth?

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012
I want to make spicy fudge for my boyfriend for the holidays- he's a big fan of dark chocolate and chipotle. I want to experiment with other spices, maybe make up a sampler sort of thing. My problem is what spices (and how much of them) to use. I am a ridiculous goddamn baby with spices, compared to him, so I'm kind of robbed of my ability to taste-test.

Ideas so far include bebere, chipotle, ghost pepper. I would love to involve cumin as it is his Favorite Thing, but I am not sure it would be any good in chocolate. My planned technique is to heat the dairy component of my recipe with the powdered spice to "infuse" the flavor. I will not be using powdered-from-a-jar, but home ground (and usually home grown!)blended to order. Any suggestions or advice?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Cinnamon, vanilla, and chili are a great combo.

davmillar
May 22, 2012

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Gravy Boat 2k
Today I purchased some sort of small sausage links from the Mediterranean/Halal market near where I live, but I've never had it before and the meat counter sticker just says "temporary input" instead of the name of it. I think it started with a J. Does anyone happen to know the name of such a meat product, and potentially have any recipes to share?

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Might be a little weird, but does anyone know where to get Cel-Ray soda in New York? I'm on the GBS Secret Santa, and I'm looking for quirky NYC food items to send.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I've been trying a few recipes and I've noticed a number have listed wines. I've just gone without so far, partly because of ignorance but I've decided to change that. However I'm not sure what I should be looking for in a wine used in cooking. Should I get something I'd want to drink? Or is that not so important?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

HiKaizer posted:

I've been trying a few recipes and I've noticed a number have listed wines. I've just gone without so far, partly because of ignorance but I've decided to change that. However I'm not sure what I should be looking for in a wine used in cooking. Should I get something I'd want to drink? Or is that not so important?

I've always been told to never cook with a wine you wouldn't drink. That's not to say you need a fancy pricey bottle, just that "cooking wines" are dumb.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jmcrofts posted:

I've always been told to never cook with a wine you wouldn't drink. That's not to say you need a fancy pricey bottle, just that "cooking wines" are dumb.

Agree, but yes, it absolutely does not need to be fancy. All the wines I cook with are $5-10. When I was living in the US I mostly used Two Buck Chuck, perfectly good wine to cook with.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah I just buy 2 buck chuck for cooking wine. It's fine. Better wine is better sure but I'm not feeding the Obamas or nothing.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I had a root canal on friday, and I'm on a mushy food diet until my crown comes in next week. The problem is that I'm already sick of pasta, mashed potatoes, and chicken nuggets. Can anyone recommend any food ideas? I miss crunchy celery so much. :smith:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Pumpkin/kabocha/butternut soup?

Sweet potato mash?

If you can have chicken nuggets, can you have ground beef?

Meatloaf?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 2, 2012

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Wandering Knitter posted:

I had a root canal on friday, and I'm on a mushy food diet until my crown comes in next week. The problem is that I'm already sick of pasta, mashed potatoes, and chicken nuggets. Can anyone recommend any food ideas? I miss crunchy celery so much. :smith:

Make homemade baked applesauce. It is seriously crazy delicious. I made it with half Granny Smiths and half Macouns for Thanksgiving and my family tore through it.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

One of my favorite comfort foods is Cottage Pie. Super easy and super mushy!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Cottage Pie might work. When I mean mushy, I mean barely any chewing at all. I don't recover well from dental surgery. :smith:

Also I need some sort of vegetable dish to eat. It's bad enough that my diet is going to be mostly mashed potato and pasta based until I can chew again.

davmillar
May 22, 2012

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Gravy Boat 2k

I second the ideas for meatloaf and cottage pie. I especially like making a "knife and fork sandwich" out of some meatloaf and a bit of mashed potatoes, all on some nice soft bread and covered with gravy.

Another good bet would be some sort of Mexican/Tex-Mex cuisine feast involving refried beans and cheese, soft pinto beans, Spanish rice, etc. You could even get away with making a burrito with soft tortillas and soft ingredients.

If all else fails, 90% of what comes in frozen Banquet-type meals is fairly soft and mushy and good to go. Those got me through a few rough months last year where I lost my colon and shortly thereafter had my wisdom teeth pulled, so I like to think of myself as a soft/mushy food connoisseur now.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Soups? Italian wedding, minestrone, tomato soup, french onion soup...

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I was trying to avoid most soups just because I really can't have super cold or super hot liquids either. I suppose lukewarm soup might work?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
For your fruits, I would make smoothies. Combine fruit, some yoghurt and water in a blender, let it sit until it comes to something warmer like room temperature and you're good. I like to use Greek yoghurt for not only the added protein but also because it keeps me full for a while.

I can't really recommend anything for vegetables though, sorry.

Also almost anything you can make in a crockpot (salsa chicken!) would probably work really well for you.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Also I need some sort of vegetable dish to eat. It's bad enough that my diet is going to be mostly mashed potato and pasta based until I can chew again.

A while back Gravity made a pureed brocoli and I remember reading it and thinking it sounded really good. I can't find it though so it's just an idea!

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
What's the name (or search term) for the mat/cloth with coincentric rings on it for rolling out pie/pizza dough on?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Silicone baking mats?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

You want something rich in both starch and protein, so you feel nice and full even though you can't eat most things. To me, that says aligot.

Copper pot and roaring fireplace optional. I use an immersion blender on mine.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 3, 2012

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Betazoid posted:

Does anyone have a reputable website with more information about these food displays? I want drawings and historical descriptions! I also want every party I host from now on to include an elaborate food display.

this sounds really interesting and if you find any of what youre looking for you should make a thread

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
While looking up smoothie recipes I keep finding stuff for 'green smoothies'. Basically normal smoothies with a ton of leafy greens tossed in. I might try that out until I can find something vaguely healthy for me to eat.

Kenning posted:

You want something rich in both starch and protein, so you feel nice and full even though you can't eat most things. To me, that says aligot.

Copper pot and roaring fireplace option. I use an immersion blender on mine.

...On this other hand, this sounds amazing. :swoon:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I have a packet of raw pork cheeks in my freezer and I'm trying to decide if they would be a good thing to prepare for my Christmas party. I know they need a nice slow braise. Would they be good cut into bite sized pieces and plated with toothpicks as hors d'oeuvres? Or would the meat tend to dry out and get tough over the course of the evening?

Also, favorite flavors to use in a pork cheek braise?

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
So I was recently diagnosed with having an allergy to Brewer's Yeast which is a pretty big bummer for a lot of reasons... Does anyone have good suggestions for replacing wine in most recipes? Just add some extra stock/broth to replace the liquid amount?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

I have a packet of raw pork cheeks in my freezer and I'm trying to decide if they would be a good thing to prepare for my Christmas party. I know they need a nice slow braise. Would they be good cut into bite sized pieces and plated with toothpicks as hors d'oeuvres? Or would the meat tend to dry out and get tough over the course of the evening?

Also, favorite flavors to use in a pork cheek braise?

If you braise them and reduce the braising liquid either to coat them or serve on the side, they should be fineto be out for a while.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
So I was thinking about doing a southeast Asian-style glaze on a roast chicken, probably a mix of fish sauce and black soy sauce. Would it be unwise to add it before I roast it, and would it taste OK if I sprinkled on some super finely minced lemongrass?

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

The Midniter posted:

Buy him this knife immediately. Even though some people suggested avoiding getting him a knife, it is so cheap and such a step up from the typical knives home cooks use that even if it doesn't have a 100% perfect feel in his hand, it will still be a massive upgrade from what he's probably using right now. Plus, it's cheap enough that it'll still leave money in your budget for other stuff.

This is fantastic, I found an online shop in my country (fast shipping whoo) that sells this one (Victorinox Chef's knife 20cm) but I'm also liking the sound of the Sabatier Integra or the Sabatier Delice at only around €10 more. Does anyone know which one would be the better all-round knife?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

InvisibleMonkey posted:

This is fantastic, I found an online shop in my country (fast shipping whoo) that sells this one (Victorinox Chef's knife 20cm) but I'm also liking the sound of the Sabatier Integra or the Sabatier Delice at only around €10 more. Does anyone know which one would be the better all-round knife?

Personally, I wouldn't get any knife more expensive than the forschner/victorinox unless you're willing to go up to ~$125+.