Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

meanieface posted:

At the meet & greet, the lady in charge of the intern/new hire program seemed to really enjoy speaking with me. I've never had a potential future employer give me personal compliments, I felt like I was about to start blushing.

When you're interviewing with a Big Company for a Really Competitive Intern Position, do those types of things help? My hope is that the conversation will involve more input than just the lovely man in the formal interview's thoughts, and that someone will be "Oh, meanie was just lovely."

This is one of the few job interviews I've left not feeling like I stepped out of an awkward penguin meme. The job sounded challenging, which is *incredibly* important to me [an unused brain is going to turn to mush and I don't want brain mush] but the thought that all the candidates, at all the colleges, are competing for one spot is :tizzy:

tl;dr - I hope they liked me. I really liked them.

OH MY GOD APPARENTLY THEY LOVE ME TOO.

The interviewer petitioned to have a second position added *just for me* because he wanted me to work there so much.

It's more than I would have asked for if they asked me for a number. I told the recruiter that I didn't even want to negotiate because I knew it was a fair number. I know negotiating is pro and such, but I'm just... I AM STOKED. :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oliax
Aug 19, 2011

Bavaro-Mancunian
Friendship Society

meanieface posted:

OH MY GOD APPARENTLY THEY LOVE ME TOO.

The interviewer petitioned to have a second position added *just for me* because he wanted me to work there so much.

It's more than I would have asked for if they asked me for a number. I told the recruiter that I didn't even want to negotiate because I knew it was a fair number. I know negotiating is pro and such, but I'm just... I AM STOKED. :xd:

Congrats! That sounds like a great start! :glomp:

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette
I skimmed through a few pages and couldn't find if this was asked, so apologies if something like this was asked already.

Im a recent BA graduate with four years of executive administrative work in my cv along with a couple internships. Im living in the states and have a dual citizenship with here and Europe, I want to move and work in either Barcellona or Paris. Im fluent in Spanish and French so the language barrier shouldn't be too bad.

I did some googling and couldn't find any work that seemed like reliable work as most places I saw were advertised as temporary places for current students, or doing menial jobs like bussing tables. Im looking to start entry level somewhere in Europe and maybe get a career started.
Either way Im seriously willing to consider anything.

Any suggestions or places someone can point me in the right direction?

Oliax
Aug 19, 2011

Bavaro-Mancunian
Friendship Society

Victorian Gentleman posted:

I skimmed through a few pages and couldn't find if this was asked, so apologies if something like this was asked already.

Im a recent BA graduate with four years of executive administrative work in my cv along with a couple internships. Im living in the states and have a dual citizenship with here and Europe, I want to move and work in either Barcellona or Paris. Im fluent in Spanish and French so the language barrier shouldn't be too bad.

I did some googling and couldn't find any work that seemed like reliable work as most places I saw were advertised as temporary places for current students, or doing menial jobs like bussing tables. Im looking to start entry level somewhere in Europe and maybe get a career started.
Either way Im seriously willing to consider anything.

You do know that Spain has 25% unemployment among people under 25 right?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Victorian Gentleman posted:

You probably want to look at US companies that have a presence in France and/or Spain and get over there by working for them. Then you can make connections for transitioning into a life/job/whatever over there.

Not meaning to be cruel but name one reason why a firm overseas should hire you vs. any local citizen with the same degree and experience? I guess I am asking what makes you unique because speaking French and Spanish doesn't count when the local pool of job seekers will also have those skills.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

So I think it is time for me to look towards finding a career oriented job and I need some advice. Here is my basic story:

Graduated with honors from Cal-State University Fullerton with a B.A. in Political Science in 2011.

Since then, I've worked as a supervisor of a summer school program for about 3 months, spent another 3 months at a organizing fellowship in Minnesota, and the last 6 months working at a marketing company in Portland as a Research Associate (basically just interviewing people, menial labor stuff).

I had hopes of moving up to a management position at the company but after being passed over for a position by someone brand new at the company and hearing just how horrible the company has been in the past at hiring from within, I think it is time for me to move to a different field. Marketing is the devil's work anyways and I do not want to be there in six months.

I just don't know in what field political science is valuable for in this economy or at what websites I can look at or how I can improve my resume. Any suggestions?

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Well, in case anyone was curious, I ended up going to the interview I was speaking of a couple pages back. I should uh, restate that this wasn't a position I actually applied for, but was offered on a whim.

There was a math test. My math skills....leave something to be desired.

I... failed my math test. :negative:

The "interview" was awfully quick after that.

It was a learning experience. :saddowns:

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Panic Restaurant posted:

Well, in case anyone was curious, I ended up going to the interview I was speaking of a couple pages back. I should uh, restate that this wasn't a position I actually applied for, but was offered on a whim.

There was a math test. My math skills....leave something to be desired.

I... failed my math test. :negative:

The "interview" was awfully quick after that.

It was a learning experience. :saddowns:

Eh I've flunked a couple of math tests in my interview process. They're mostly easy arithmetic problems where the interviewer wants to see if you can handle the pressure or not. Getting asked to solve 13*79 mentally with three people watching and judging how you respond isn't the easiest thing to do in the world. They were more concerned about whether I thought through the problem logically rather than giving a correct answer.

The first time it happened, it totally caught me off guard and I was a stuttering mess. Didn't get that job but when they popped up in other interviews, I wasn't as caught off guard and could think more clearly.

So I guess best advice is to review your arithmetic before most interviews.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 28, 2012

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I have years of retail experience/sales, 3 month experience at a bank that makes us sell poo poo constantly, and a degree in Political science. I. . .Really can't take selling poo poo like a used car salesman at the bank anymore, but I don't know where else I can apply at given my experience. I have heard there are better banks out there to apply at. . .but are there any other options besides banking? I am 24 in Southeastern Michigan. I plan on sticking out my Bank career as long as can be given our soul crushing sales goals, giving me until March at the latest and December 31st at the worst.

Yes, I know I made unwise degree choices, but I am looking for suggestions, please help me :negative:

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
I have an interview set up, but its a group interview. I'm apparently going to be interviewed with 4-5 other candidates, in a post-degree professional setting.

Is this a thing? Or is this a red flag?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Noah posted:

I have an interview set up, but its a group interview. I'm apparently going to be interviewed with 4-5 other candidates, in a post-degree professional setting.

The only interview I've had like that was with Cutco out of the 8? jobs I've applied for in my life. Out of all of them it was the poo poo job of the lot so my vote is red flag.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I'm pretty sure only retail jobs do that.

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I'm pretty sure only retail jobs do that.

I can confirm. I had a huge 10+ person group meeting for a sales associate at a Sears when I was in high school. Was not fun seeing all the qualified drop-outs that were willing to work whenever as opposed to my weekends-only.

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010
Who knows though, it could be signaling a new trend in hiring practices. As the de-dignification of the hiring process continues to increase something like this is not unheard of occuring. I have heard of some companies having applicants compete in reality themed contests.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I also vote red flag. Is it a job you applied to or were you recruited? If it's the latter, run. If it's the former, do you really want to work for a company who won't even set aside an hour of their time to talk to you one on one?

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!

Noah posted:

What is the company called? Sounds like a red flag.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
I sent off an inquiry about salary range, and didn't hear back after 24 hours, so I canceled my interview. I'm not taking off of work (losing money) so I can sit in a room with 4-5 other people and try to out compete them for whatever this job might actually be.

I applied for a job as Editorial Assistant at ConsumerTrack. I looked back at the original email they sent me to come in for an interview, and I was only BCC'd, with no personal information in the email at all. The least someone can do is actually write an email directly to me.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

I need some advice on how to handle a situation. A few months ago, I went through the whole interview process with a company and was offered a position. I didn't take it because of another thing that came up in the time before they got back to me, which looked better. Well, I am starting to see now that the offer I got from the first company was a really good opportunity. It was with a large company that has many locations and was looking to expand, so I have reason to believe that the kind of position I was offered is still in demand. Have any of you guys and/or gals tried to get back in touch with an interviewer after turning down an offer? I genuinely want to go and work there, and I haven't been slacking off, I really thought a different path would work for me at the time.

I figure I have nothing to lose, so I will try to call or email the guy I interviewed with no matter what, but I really have no idea how to do so respectfully/ nicely/ not-awkwardly

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Stealth Tiger posted:

I need some advice on how to handle a situation. A few months ago, I went through the whole interview process with a company and was offered a position. I didn't take it because of another thing that came up in the time before they got back to me, which looked better. Well, I am starting to see now that the offer I got from the first company was a really good opportunity. It was with a large company that has many locations and was looking to expand, so I have reason to believe that the kind of position I was offered is still in demand. Have any of you guys and/or gals tried to get back in touch with an interviewer after turning down an offer? I genuinely want to go and work there, and I haven't been slacking off, I really thought a different path would work for me at the time.

I figure I have nothing to lose, so I will try to call or email the guy I interviewed with no matter what, but I really have no idea how to do so respectfully/ nicely/ not-awkwardly

Show us what you got.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
I see a lot of coordinator positions are looking for people proficient in Scrum and Agile, is there a way of really learning these programs without actually being in a work setting? Being able to add that to skillset would probably help, but not really sure where to really get that experience.

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Using drugs will kill. So be for real.

Noah posted:

I see a lot of coordinator positions are looking for people proficient in Scrum and Agile, is there a way of really learning these programs without actually being in a work setting? Being able to add that to skillset would probably help, but not really sure where to really get that experience.

Here's the official starter guide, seems pretty comprehensive. Maybe pick up a book or a course on it, just to have something tangible to point to. If they're entry level coordinator positions, you're probably not expected to be the scrum expert, so a familiarity with the concepts and skills behind it are just as good. Emphasize your skills that map well to it (interpersonal communication is the big one that I've noticed) and you should be fine.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
it can be sort of expensive but you can take a certification course and get scrum certified in whatever role in about a week of classroom training. I did it through work but we had people there paying their own way as well.

Without any real world experience I don't know what value you'd really get but you can put "Official Scrum X" on a resume and you'll know the vocab.

kriminal
Oct 18, 2004
I have a question regarding which positions would be good for my wife to apply to in the Dallas Area.

She has a finance degree and an MBA with no relevant experience. Her experience is working 2 years as a Bank of America Teller while going to school and the rest is customer service and retail.

What positions would she be qualified to apply working in the finance sector?

She says that all the positions have too much competition and that she can only apply for personal banker with an internal application through Bank of America.

I do not know much about finance or what good entry level positions she could get or have a chance at getting. She graduated from University of Texas at dallas, so it is not a top school for MBA students and no prior management experience.

Any input is appreciated.

Damon
Oct 11, 2012

kriminal posted:

I have a question regarding which positions would be good for my wife to apply to in the Dallas Area.

She has a finance degree and an MBA with no relevant experience. Her experience is working 2 years as a Bank of America Teller while going to school and the rest is customer service and retail.

What positions would she be qualified to apply working in the finance sector?

She says that all the positions have too much competition and that she can only apply for personal banker with an internal application through Bank of America.

I do not know much about finance or what good entry level positions she could get or have a chance at getting. She graduated from University of Texas at dallas, so it is not a top school for MBA students and no prior management experience.

Any input is appreciated.

First, sorry to tell you this but getting an MBA immediately after completing a degree and without work experience is a... how should put this... not very useful. AN MBA does not give you a licence to manage people, it gives you tools to assume a leadership position in your current line of work. I did mine after several years working (in the banking industry actually) and went to complete an MBA to acquire knowledge and skills that I feel was missing from my degree. Thats the way to get most of your MBA imho. I'm currently a manager of a commercial banking dept. That being said, this is not your question.

We hear about MBA student getting job strait out of college, but yeah they are coming from top universities, and yeah it is extremely competitive. But you will notice that they usually get Sales position (camouflaged under a pretty title such as investment banker for example), but they usually don't get management position. With no prior management or worst, no work experience in a related field (such as banking), your wife will probably not get many management offers. I'm afraid she'll have to grind it out, there's no other way in my opinion especially for management position. A manager is usually somebody with a good track record. Maybe not in call centers, but certainly in the banking industry.

The good thing is that she's already got a foot in the door. In a big box like Bank of America, there is always a place for smart, driven people and you can go up the corporate ladder faster than in a small boutique. If your wife is hard working, intelligent, and a good decision maker, she'll go up that ladder and with all the boomers retirement coming up, opportunities will come, if not, well, she might not be management material after all.

So I'd be looking first for a teller supervision position. Those tellers usually have a direct supervisor who is working under the branch manager. She could be qualified since she knows the teller position. I hope she was good at it... If not I would take a personal banking position and keep my eyes on the prize. Like Bon Scott said: It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock n' roll...

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'm sorry if I'm asking in the wrong thread, but I just arrived back home (California) about 6 weeks ago from working over seas for the past two years being an ESL teacher. While it was very rewarding and a lot of fun it isn't really a stepping stone for future employment in the states. I got my resume professorially done and have been sending them out all over my city. I'm at that point where I need to do something. Anything to pad my resume, doesn't need to be a career job or a paying one (money isn't a problem right now).

I was looking into volunteering with AmeriCorps, but I'm not so sure about it and was wondering if anyone had any experience working with them? I just turned 25 for reference.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'm in pretty much the same situation. My only real job was working in a bank for a few years (hated it). I took off to Japan for two years. I've been working since August selling insurance by phone. It's actually not a bad job and I really like the company but the pay just isn't very good so I'm debating leaving.

I have a business degree with a major in information systems. My problem is that the IS part is basically worthless since I don't actually have any skills in the field. I've bounced around between different companies so much that I feel like I have no real experience and I should just pick a company and stick with it.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

GZA Genius posted:

I'm sorry if I'm asking in the wrong thread, but I just arrived back home (California) about 6 weeks ago from working over seas for the past two years being an ESL teacher. While it was very rewarding and a lot of fun it isn't really a stepping stone for future employment in the states. I got my resume professorially done and have been sending them out all over my city. I'm at that point where I need to do something. Anything to pad my resume, doesn't need to be a career job or a paying one (money isn't a problem right now).

I was looking into volunteering with AmeriCorps, but I'm not so sure about it and was wondering if anyone had any experience working with them? I just turned 25 for reference.

From what I've heard it'll be a step down from foreign ESL teaching. If you're interested in continuing to teach, have you thought about going through the certifications needed to make it a career? If you are, great! Get that instead of TFA. If you're not, TFA won't help your resume any more than ESL overseas has, but it will lock you down for another year or two.

Edit: Americorps isn't much different. My girlfriend worked with a MN affiliate called ReadingCorps and it lead to her getting a job as a Special Education Assistant at the school, but beyond building those kinds of connections it's not going to pad your resume more aside from filling time.

Blorange fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 27, 2012

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
e: n/m

hitension fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 2, 2012

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010
Is it wrong of me to become a little agitated when I find an interesting job posting, which turns out to be "re-calibrated" by the recruiter and totally misleading? For example, there was an Office Manager position I applied for, had a short interview, and about a week later was turned into an "Administrative Assistant" title with lower compensation than I imagined at only 20 hours a week. Does this just mean the recruiter doesn't have his poo poo together when writing the posting, or what? Why would a company use a third party recruiter to put this poo poo job out? 20 hours a week and they downgrade a title seems like a lot of concessions to make before even meeting anyone from the company. And it makes the company look a little small time if they make such a low level position so onerous to get through.

Am I being picky here? Or is it wrong to change titles and things like full time to part time (and thus compensation)? It just seems like companies take themselves way too seriously for what little they are offering.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
My gut feeling is that the job was advertised to be better than it actually was in order to draw in better candidates. After interviews they'll get a list of the best candidates and start offering the "revised" version of the job to them until one accepts.

edit: OR, the first job was filled at the last minute by someone internal, who formerly occupied the part-time administrative assistant position. Rather than blowing the recruiter off entirely they're allowing them to fill the 2nd position which just became vacated.

bytebark fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 28, 2012

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The job I'm waiting to start begins in January, according to the person I'm in contact with at the company. If they're bothering to figure out when I could start (earlier in the year it was trying to see if I could start in either Nov or Jan), that basically means I'm hired, right?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

The job I'm waiting to start begins in January, according to the person I'm in contact with at the company. If they're bothering to figure out when I could start (earlier in the year it was trying to see if I could start in either Nov or Jan), that basically means I'm hired, right?

I would think they would have you sign a contract saying when the start date is/when they are going to start paying you money. Because if not what happens when they tell you March instead?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Totally TWISTED posted:

I would think they would have you sign a contract saying when the start date is/when they are going to start paying you money. Because if not what happens when they tell you March instead?

I...I don't know :ohdear:

The company has a good reputation in terms of getting back to people and working with them to figure out hiring/whatever, at least according to some employees I know there. But, yeah, I'm starting to get a little worried...

If I don't get an answer in January, I'll start applying elsewhere.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
My job offer came with a blank line for me to fill in for my start date, and once I sent it back they didn't gently caress around with it.

I'd be wary of a job that keeps pushing back when you can start. Have they given you a reason why it keeps sliding? I'd be concerned they were keeping the job open to get more applications in hope they found someone better. i'd keep applying elsewhere instead of waiting around forever only for them to go "haha nope just kidding we decided to go with another candidate".

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Pollyanna posted:

If you don't get an answer by January you start driving to the office everyday and try to speak with whoever would be your manager. If at that point they jerk you around then they probably never meant to hire you, or at least not in any respectful way.

Edit: I mean unless the company really hit the rocks or are scared as poo poo about the fiscal cliff, but even if that's the case the hiring manager should at least be able to sit down and explain.

Omgbees
Nov 30, 2012

Noah posted:

Yeah man, there are courses for it w/ exams etc.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Pollyanna posted:

I...I don't know :ohdear:

The company has a good reputation in terms of getting back to people and working with them to figure out hiring/whatever, at least according to some employees I know there. But, yeah, I'm starting to get a little worried...

Is there really a reason to stop applying? Unless you have an offer letter in your hand you don't owe them a thing, just as they're free to screw you over.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've been trying to help my fiancee get into HR. She currently works at an HR consulting firm managing the surveys her company sends out. It's essentially entry-level data analysis, and not so much HR work. She's not a fan of it, the hours aren't flexible, and the people are kind of ducks there.

Does anyone know a good way to get into the HR field? She's trying to build connections, but it seems every HR Generalist / Analyst job out there wants significant HR experience. How do you even get that experience in the first place? :saddowns:

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

seiferguy posted:

I've been trying to help my fiancee get into HR. She currently works at an HR consulting firm managing the surveys her company sends out. It's essentially entry-level data analysis, and not so much HR work. She's not a fan of it, the hours aren't flexible, and the people are kind of ducks there.

Does anyone know a good way to get into the HR field? She's trying to build connections, but it seems every HR Generalist / Analyst job out there wants significant HR experience. How do you even get that experience in the first place? :saddowns:

Our entry-level HR people mostly start as recruiters. I'm also buddies with a recruiter for a job placement/tech recruiting company, and they generally have high turnover and are always looking for people.

I'd be pretty pumped to be working with ducks personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Knightmare posted:

Our entry-level HR people mostly start as recruiters. I'm also buddies with a recruiter for a job placement/tech recruiting company, and they generally have high turnover and are always looking for people.

I'd be pretty pumped to be working with ducks personally.

Dicks, not ducks. Autocorrect :unsmigghh: Though it reminds me of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhY2zsSSRO8

I'll try to have her look for entry-level recruiter jobs. One of her friends got a recruiter job at a hospital shortly out of college, and already got a promotion within a few months of working there. I see those occasionally pop up.

• Locked thread