Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mister ginger
Jul 5, 2005
New tune. Opinionate
http://cl.ly/L8Nl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Free track. Was never happy with this, did not want to release through regular channels - so here you go.

https://soundcloud.com/turbotrixie/kai-handberg-priority-one

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

thanks everybody on the last page! my mix definitely got overlooked amidst the massive amounts of entries in the contest, but I'm glad people are feeling it.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
New track, a remix using a freely available acapella.

Fedde le Grand & Nicky Romero ft. Matthew Koma - Sparks (Turn Off Your Mind) (Poizen Jam Remix)

I really think my mixdowns and mastering are getting a lot cleaner, but they still need work- I could use some more dynamic range. Each time I make a song, I find myself mixing lower before the mastering stage.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
This kind of got missed in the much-deserved awe over slardel's mind-melting Christina Aguilera remix, but it's still relevant to me today, as I'm trying to wrap up a track.

killhamster posted:

I'm having a bit of a writer's block though; I can't seem to come up with decent drum fills or breaks lately. Kick or snare rolls seem boring and predictable, so I find myself using various effects for a bar or two instead, or combining this with little drum breaks. Any advice on livening up that sort of thing?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

killhamster posted:

This kind of got missed in the much-deserved awe over slardel's mind-melting Christina Aguilera remix, but it's still relevant to me today, as I'm trying to wrap up a track.

- Sample drum breaks from a different genre of music
- Silence the last few kicks of a bar, put an upsweep in there and single hit from a bad rear end snare before you drop the next section
- Highpass your kick out for a time, dribble it a bit
- Pitch bend your poo poo
- Reverb loudness ramp
- etc etc etc the possibilities are endless

unSavory
Sep 26, 2004
fellow
I watched Drive tonight. 'nuff said

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Thoogsby posted:

Can anyone tell me how to reproduce the enormous kick drum sound in this tune? Is it just a overly compressed 808?

http://soundcloud.com/flume-1/star-eyes-1

Sounds like it's got some distortion in there, likely some reverb on the low end, but it doesn't sound too enormous to me tbh. It doesn't have the 'punch' of a huge kick. It's probably layered in two parts with the low end eq'd maybe up to 2/300 odd hz and that low layer a fair bit louder than the top end snap.

TBH it just sounds like the kick is a fair bit louder than the rest of the mix.

I'd say these tune have massive kicks: http://soundcloud.com/dehnoizer/deh-noizer-designed and http://soundcloud.com/svenwittekind/torsten-kanzler-vio-sven

unSavory posted:

Here's a house thing I made tonight. Would appreciate some feedback.

http://tindeck.com/listen/qjkr

Sounds more electro/techno than house to me, but it's good :) Check out the label Item & Things which produce a lot of off the wall almost 80's inspired industrialised synths with crazy melodies.

Can't tell timings on tin deck but turn down your lead synths after the drop, they dominate a bit too much. Maybe wet them up a bit more with the reverb and possibly add some delay (so when you turn them down, the "meat" of the synth is still there. Could even apply some sidechain compression to the kick to give it a slight pump and create some more space for the kick and bass to come through.

Like this track though, good work :)

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

wayfinder posted:

- Sample drum breaks from a different genre of music
- Silence the last few kicks of a bar, put an upsweep in there and single hit from a bad rear end snare before you drop the next section
- Reverb loudness ramp
- etc etc etc the possibilities are endless

Thanks for the hints, got a few of those goin on here:

http://soundcloud.com/killhamster/dusk

Still not sure about a few things on this one, I sat and hosed with the drums forever trying to get them to sit just where I wanted them in the mix; same with the bass. I'm pretty happy with the rest of it though.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.

unSavory posted:

AWESOME. Fun track(amazing slow progressive buildup), and glad others were inspired by that soundtrack!

I suggest watching Miami Vice(the series) on Netflix for further inspiration. Even though Miami Vice's soundtrack doesn't have the modern edge or production style of anything in Drive, it's still great poo poo.

You have inspired me, sir.

renderful fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 27, 2012

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

CareyB posted:

Sounds like it's got some distortion in there, likely some reverb on the low end, but it doesn't sound too enormous to me tbh. It doesn't have the 'punch' of a huge kick. It's probably layered in two parts with the low end eq'd maybe up to 2/300 odd hz and that low layer a fair bit louder than the top end snap.

TBH it just sounds like the kick is a fair bit louder than the rest of the mix.

Those are good points, but also the volume sidechain is a large part of why it stands out so much. The volume duck is absurdly heavy, to make that reverb come through clear.

wayfinder posted:

Three very good tips. Loudness generally only works with contrast, there needs to be quiet. Also, that super saw that cuts in around 5 minutes- is there any way to chop that up and tease it a bit sooner? There's come coolness going on there and I feel like it would make the song more cohesive.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 27, 2012

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Slardel, everything you make is loving awesome and I'm both inspired and jealous.

I made some sets, one with various faux-chip tune stuff I've made for indie games or for fun over the past year or so, all downloadable
http://soundcloud.com/fastland/sets/fast-tracks/

and one with some dance-related endeavors, also all downloadable!
http://soundcloud.com/fastland/sets/dancey-3/

Finally, the assorted demos I've got out so far for the first thing I'm gonna get released :)
http://soundcloud.com/fastland/sets/tentative-ep-1/

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Poizen Jam posted:

Three very good tips. Loudness generally only works with contrast, there needs to be quiet. Also, that super saw that cuts in around 5 minutes- is there any way to chop that up and tease it a bit sooner? There's come coolness going on there and I feel like it would make the song more cohesive.

I'll have to fiddle with it some but I think I've got a good place to put that earlier on in the track. Gotta wait until after work though.

unSavory
Sep 26, 2004
fellow

CareyB posted:

Like this track though, good work :)

Thanks for the tips and compliments. Gonna play with this one when I get home now I think.

renderful posted:

Miami Vice(the series)

And you as well sir. Guess I know what I'm doing the next few nights of my life.

VVVVV I don't have PM. You can reach me at trifectuh@icloud.com VVVVVV

unSavory fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 27, 2012

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

unSavory posted:

shorten and polish, and I'm absolutely sure this could get signed. just needs a few adjustments and a tighter focus. Very well done, and keep it up please.

(Might wanna use this for a radio set im doing soon, will get in touch.)

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Poizen Jam posted:

Those are good points, but also the volume sidechain is a large part of why it stands out so much. The volume duck is absurdly heavy, to make that reverb come through clear.

Nice, you can hear the super fast attack of the compressor sucking the song down then releasing it almost like a breath with the reverb. Very cool. I don't use sidechain compression anywhere near its potential.

unSavory
Sep 26, 2004
fellow

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

shorten and polish, and I'm absolutely sure this could get signed. just needs a few adjustments and a tighter focus. Very well done, and keep it up please.

(Might wanna use this for a radio set im doing soon, will get in touch.)

Don't wanna take over the thread with this track, but can I inquire into what sort of adjustments you mean? Like, the first 32 bars pretty much just repeat a second time, not sure if I should just scrap it and shorten the whole thing to 3 sets of 32bars (give or take) or try to find some other way to make that section more unique.

Question is open to anyone though btw

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
eh... things just need to be.. tightened. its alot to go over really. I guess you could find my aim in my profile if you wanna talk about it - you dont seem to have PM's!

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Poizen Jam posted:

that super saw that cuts in around 5 minutes- is there any way to chop that up and tease it a bit sooner? There's come coolness going on there and I feel like it would make the song more cohesive.

Reuploaded at the same address:

Listen in starting around 2:35, I tweaked it a bit to foreshadow the lead line that kicks in later.

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it

d0grent posted:

Ok the RNC looks good, but it only has 1/4" inputs. If I want to connect a mic to it, is it a bad idea to use an XLR to 1/4" adaptor?

The ins and outs are balanced so you shouldn't have an issue so long as it's a dynamic mic. You would probably want a preamp though as the mic volume will be too low to use the compressor to its potential.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

killhamster posted:

Reuploaded at the same address:

Listen in starting around 2:35, I tweaked it a bit to foreshadow the lead line that kicks in later.

That very slight change brought the whole song together for me, much greater coherence and feeling of completeness!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just heard Die Antwoord's "DIS IZ WHY I'M HOT"..
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9xfo0MY-r8)

..and decided to spend a few minutes playing with the acapella!

My first attempt is this DnB-ish thing:

and now I'm working on an incredibly silly 90's-ish version:

unSavory
Sep 26, 2004
fellow

Your Computer posted:

and now I'm working on an incredibly silly 90's-ish version:

This owns.

Did some more work on this house/electro thing today, got to a place where I think I like most everything I have going but I'm running into a weird issue maybe some of you could help me out with.

When I solo my bass track it sounds great, but when played back in the mix it just sounds... off at one particular point, like the wrong note is being played entirely. It happens first at 1:56 and everytime that section repeats thereafter.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Don't know what I did but it's fixed now apparently. Never touching this track again

unSavory fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 29, 2012

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
So, this is my second annual Christmas Carol Dubstep Remix project. Last year I did Handel's Messiah which was a total shitshow because godDAMN is that song complicated when you break it down. This year, I decided to aim a little lower, so I give you:

Dub Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - http://soundcloud.com/gkchestertron/dub-rest-ye-merry-gentlemen

If you think of any worthy changes to make, let me know. I love learning from you guys.

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
I've been so lazy lately, I'm trying to get back into producing on a regular basis. This is the first thing I've finished in foreverrr: http://soundcloud.com/jemry/space-harrier

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Anal Surgery posted:

So, this is my second annual Christmas Carol Dubstep Remix project. Last year I did Handel's Messiah which was a total shitshow because godDAMN is that song complicated when you break it down.
:psyduck: Yeah it's an oratorio, you thought it was one song?

edit: I mean, it's one musical composition but many of the movements are frequently performed on their own, such as the Hallelujah chorus for the most obvious example.

het fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 29, 2012

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
just had this installed. It makes a difference alright!

Sound now comes FROM the actual monitors, instead of in a huge vague fan around their general area. Stereo placement and kickdrum tuning, minor things all over the process is improved. Highly recommended. (I am a moron for having waited so long)

Doctor Duckers
Mar 22, 2007

http://soundcloud.com/grandpa-ghost/bzzzbzzz

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

het posted:

:psyduck: Yeah it's an oratorio, you thought it was one song?

edit: I mean, it's one musical composition but many of the movements are frequently performed on their own, such as the Hallelujah chorus for the most obvious example.

I hosed up, I meant I remixed the Hallelujah Chorus specifically. But, as you can see, I'm one of those dopes who thinks "Handel's Messiah" and only thinks about the Hallelujah chorus. I guess I had that "cultural" knowledge of it that is a very weak facsimile for the real thing, which I learned when I set out to do "just a silly remix". Gave me a huge appreciation for it actually.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

just had this installed. It makes a difference alright!

Sound now comes FROM the actual monitors, instead of in a huge vague fan around their general area. Stereo placement and kickdrum tuning, minor things all over the process is improved. Highly recommended. (I am a moron for having waited so long)

Where do you live? Cause it seems like they only have distributors in Asia and France/Spain.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

d0grent posted:

Where do you live? Cause it seems like they only have distributors in Asia and France/Spain.

Norway. Check with your local/nearest well stocked music store. Its a well known brand as I understand it.

bonus lovely cell pic:

Quincy Smallvoice fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 1, 2012

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Norway. Check with your local/nearest well stocked music store. Its a well known brand as I understand it.

bonus lovely cell pic:

Is that a Roland Gaia? How do you like that thing? I was eyeballing it for a sec.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Yeah thats a Gaia. I use it 99% of the time as a midi controller, nothing more. Its sound doesnt really do it for me. I have things like Diva, Jupiter8v2, Zebra2 and Alchemy that sound VASTLY better.

But I will say - if you are new to synthesis and spend some time learning its layout - you could probably do alot worse as a learning tool. You would learn faster than on a VST/AU/whatever - since its hands on and immediate. 3 Oscillators (or tones) and 64 note polyphony - decent LFO controls (direct faders to amp/pitch/filter lfo modulation) I actually kinda dig the Pitch Shifter effect on it too. Instant Detroit.

The sound is very very digital. The filters are... Bad. Preset management is archaic.

But its also fast to work with. When I do use it, its to create soundeffects. With the LFO locked into cubase, I can record a number of weird squelching bubbly effectsounds rapidly.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

HTML5 posted:

Is that a Roland Gaia? How do you like that thing? I was eyeballing it for a sec.

I had one for about a month, great interface+midi controller, but it just doesn't sound right, in a bad way. Can't quite put my finger on why, but it just always sounded weird in a mix. Never quite fit. There are about a million VA synths that sound better, and quite a few free VSTs that sound better too.

edit: That said, it's a lot of fun to use, and makes nice pads. They have demo units at Best Buy, so it might be worthwhile to try one out. Maybe I just couldn't get nice sounds out of it because I suck :shrug:

Number Two Stunna fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 1, 2012

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
I've been completely ignoring electronic music for a while, but I just got into chillout and made this.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

My friend is going to get a Maschine Mikro from his friend, apparently, but the software that came with it is lost somewhere and the person who lost it has no idea what their native instruments account login would be, if they have one.

We can still use it as a midi controller without the included software, right? Or is there a way to get another copy of the software? Is the actual hardware good? It seems pretty snazzy.

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it

Lavender Philtrum posted:

My friend is going to get a Maschine Mikro from his friend, apparently, but the software that came with it is lost somewhere and the person who lost it has no idea what their native instruments account login would be, if they have one.

We can still use it as a midi controller without the included software, right? Or is there a way to get another copy of the software? Is the actual hardware good? It seems pretty snazzy.

Contact NI Support, they've always been quite helpful to me in the past, I'm not sure if they have a policy on resale of hardware/software but if you just play dumb and say you bought it originally, lost the disc and don't know your login they might just give you a new one you can use to download it.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Jaytech's Sample CD "Scapes Vol. 1" free today, part of his advent calendar: http://jaytechmusic.com/

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I know this sort of thing is generally frowned upon, but I'm hoping you guys could tell me how the synth pad in this track from the Near Dark soundtrack by Tangerine Dream is created. It sounds very simple but I'm terrible with synth programming.

It starts at 4:39 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEahY-AJObk

I gather it's probably a couple of saw waves detuned with some LPF on top but I've been experimenting and can't recreate it despite my efforts. Huge thanks to anyone willing to help me.

Edit: Sorry, just realized there's a thread for these kinds of questions. Apologies!

hypersleep fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

http://soundcloud.com/m-dubbs/no-chorus

made some more noisy dusbtep to get away from the nu disco experiments I've been making. Did all the synths with my BFF, Ableton's Operator. No plugins, just suite stuff. I've kept it down to 3:33, but the 'finished' version will likely be pushing 5 minutes. Part of me likes having this sort of noisy glitchy dubstep over in under 4 minutes.

• Locked thread