Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

I wouldn't be afraid if there's games you totally want to play. In my experience you should expect systems to die at least once during their time with you.

I kinda miss the days where Nintendo hardware lived up to the reputation of being nigh unbreakable. Every other Nintendo product (outside of the Wii) I've ever purchased has survived poo poo that would most likely kill other consoles. I had a DS go through a washer and dryer and the damned thing started up just fine after I made sure it was totally dried out (the L button didn't work initially, but the Nintendo's repair service took care of that). I dropped a Gamecube down a flight of stairs during a move, and it worked just fine up until the day I gave it to a friend, at most has a smattering of dents all over the system. He still plays Melee and Double Dash on it.

On the other hand, I've had PS2s and Dreamcasts die from just regular usage well before any other piece of consumer electronics I've owned. I once dropped a PSP a couple feet onto soft carpet and ended up with a dead UMD drive. I used to have to turn by PSOne upside down just to get it to read discs after the first year of owning it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

I do it with about ten, actually (four wiimotes, two XBox 360 controllers, a Wavebird, and a couple of other things). All I have to do is when one set of batteries run dry I pop a new pair out of the charger and put a dead set in to be charged. This isn't exactly rocket science.
That's pretty much my setup too. I think I just bought 2-3 Eneloop bundles from Costco over the years and have a few chargers and a bunch of AAs (and some AAAs) to go through with everything. I also have a few alkalines around just as a quick backup swap now and then if I have no rechargeables left over (and swap those in once charged to keep the alkalines around for another use).

Nekrews posted:

Picked mine up yesterday and really enjoying it so far!

Nintendoland is fun in a goofy way, and Mario is the best one they've made in years. Was under the impression that they had online multiplayer though, so after adding a few people in the ID thread that's a little disappointing.

Miiverse is fantastic though. Between some of the awesome drawings and just the overall positivity of the forum, it's a really enjoyable feature. Looking forward to what comes out next!
Well you can get the drawings in Mario from goons at least, which gives you stuff like this :v:

Kiwillian posted:

Update about demos: Started the FIFA one and a dialog popped up saying I had 10 goes remaining. So I guess they limit how many times you can play them. Dunno if it is a universal thing, since this is the only demo so far.

Did the 3DS do that? I think it may have...

FIFA, meanwhile, while not my kinda game, has fun commentary despite me being hopeless.
Yeah the 3DS demos are like that, I think the (very few and limited) Wii ones did it too. I haven't tried too many on them, but from what I have I remember being surprised at how much was included, like they felt more like rentals rather than the usual short demos.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

fivegears4reverse posted:

I kinda miss the days where Nintendo hardware lived up to the reputation of being nigh unbreakable. Every other Nintendo product (outside of the Wii) I've ever purchased has survived poo poo that would most likely kill other consoles. I had a DS go through a washer and dryer and the damned thing started up just fine after I made sure it was totally dried out (the L button didn't work initially, but the Nintendo's repair service took care of that). I dropped a Gamecube down a flight of stairs during a move, and it worked just fine up until the day I gave it to a friend, at most has a smattering of dents all over the system. He still plays Melee and Double Dash on it.

On the other hand, I've had PS2s and Dreamcasts die from just regular usage well before any other piece of consumer electronics I've owned. I once dropped a PSP a couple feet onto soft carpet and ended up with a dead UMD drive. I used to have to turn by PSOne upside down just to get it to read discs after the first year of owning it.

My SNES still works, and it has gone through almost two decades of usage ( although it has been sitting idly for some years now ). Some of my game-cartridges don't work anymore, but the console is still going.

I don't have a GameCube anymore, but that thing survived a ton of beating back in the day. I dropped it ( from my TV-counter to the floor ) three times - every time it sounded horrible, and each drop gave a few dents, but it still worked beautifully.

My launch Wii, however, broke down and I had to buy a new one a few years back. My fingers are crossed for the Wii U - hopefully it lasts.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Rirse posted:

Really like Scribblenauts Unlimited a lot so far. Spend probably a hour just messing with the create a object mode, just making random things and getting the hang of the tools. Managed to make a near perfect Rock Knight from the Space Adventure Cobra game, but I don't have my capture device setup to grab a picture.

I believe that whenever you hit "home" a screenshot is generated. I'm not sure if you use it anywhere other than MiiVerse, but it might be possible.

I kinda miss the days where Nintendo hardware lived up to the reputation of being nigh unbreakable. Every other Nintendo product (outside of the Wii) I've ever purchased has survived poo poo that would most likely kill other consoles.

(Gamecube excepted) I think this has a lot to do with the media used. Disc drives are far more likely to crap out than cartridge slots. All my old Nintendo devices have worked fine from day 1 to present, though my Wii makes an unpleasant buzzing noise when the disc drive is running.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
Jesus Christ, I haven't had this thing for more than four hours and now it won't turn on. LED goes blue for a few seconds, then back to red. Oh my. EDIT: Just remembered, it turned off while it was busy updating Nintendoland, so game updates can brick this thing too now?

bluegoon fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 1, 2012

Monode
Feb 19, 2011

oo
Just had my first lock-up while trying to go to Daily Log. Not been on it before and just wanted to see what it was like... Time to enter paranoid mode :ohdear:

Also, I think it's been mentioned here before but even though I've set Miiverse to English Only, my home screen still shows foreign messages. Not a big deal, just seems a bit odd.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

The favorite Miiverse channels on the home screen did indeed fix themselves. I guess its changes every day or so.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Monode posted:

Just had my first lock-up while trying to go to Daily Log. Not been on it before and just wanted to see what it was like... Time to enter paranoid mode :ohdear:

Also, I think it's been mentioned here before but even though I've set Miiverse to English Only, my home screen still shows foreign messages. Not a big deal, just seems a bit odd.

It probably grabs a bundle of Mii's at once rather than streaming them. Try rebooting your WiiU and see if it still has them.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

I kinda miss the days where Nintendo hardware lived up to the reputation of being nigh unbreakable. Every other Nintendo product (outside of the Wii) I've ever purchased has survived poo poo that would most likely kill other consoles.

Was the Wii not considered durable? My 2006 model fell from my the top of desk onto a hardwood floor (dumb dogs) 2-3 times and still runs.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Fresh from the box can I use the Pro controller for initial set up and game play in supported games without needing to unwrap the Game Pad at all ?

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

mfny posted:

Fresh from the box can I use the Pro controller for initial set up and game play in supported games without needing to unwrap the Game Pad at all ?

Nope. First thing you have to do is pair the gamepad, then it asks a bunch of setup questions. Once you get everything setup, you have to use the gamepad to log in to whatever profile you set up (which is really annoying when I'm just starting up the console to play Wii games).

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

The Wii is the only Nintendo product I've had any troubles with ever and considering how rock-solid, like, everything else they've put out is, I'm willing to consider it a fluke.

The poo poo my 3DS has survived in the mere span of 21 months is remarkable.

FoxMcCloud
Dec 1, 2003

Sorry to jet, but I'm in a hurry.

Zuph posted:

Nope. First thing you have to do is pair the gamepad, then it asks a bunch of setup questions. Once you get everything setup, you have to use the gamepad to log in to whatever profile you set up (which is really annoying when I'm just starting up the console to play Wii games).

I'm pretty sure after initial setup you can use a remote to pick a profile to login, by pointing.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

FoxMcCloud posted:

I'm pretty sure after initial setup you can use a remote to pick a profile to login, by pointing.

Just verified you can pick a profile by pointing or using the DPAD on the Wiimote. I think you need to point to get into the games though.

Edit - You can use "1" to bring up the grid and then select the game. This is useful to me because I only have a battery powered sensor bar and I'm lazy.

Legdiian fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 1, 2012

FoxMcCloud
Dec 1, 2003

Sorry to jet, but I'm in a hurry.

Legdiian posted:

Just verified you can pick a profile by pointing or using the DPAD on the Wiimote. I think you need to point to get into the games though.

Edit - You can use "1" to bring up the grid and then select the game. This is useful to me because I only have a battery powered sensor bar and I'm lazy.

Ah that's right. I know when my wife and I play Mario I never even reach for the GamePad, but couldn't remember how.

SenseLess
May 4, 2007

bluegoon posted:

Jesus Christ, I haven't had this thing for more than four hours and now it won't turn on. LED goes blue for a few seconds, then back to red. Oh my. EDIT: Just remembered, it turned off while it was busy updating Nintendoland, so game updates can brick this thing too now?

I had a similar problem after the system update. In my case the console for some reason didn't like my SD card anymore, so maybe try to remove yours if you have one plugged in.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003

FoxMcCloud posted:

Huh, neat.

I've got a password on my NintendoNet account, and there's no way to get the keyboard to show up on the TV.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
You can set it up to autologin if you don't have, like, multiple profiles and stuff.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

Zuph posted:

Ah I see, oh well.

I have a huge amount of OCD'nes when it comes to things with screens..touch screens especially so the reason I ask is im a bit twitchy about the Gamepad in terms of storing and protecting it so while I work this out I figured i may be able to use the pro controller.

Edit:

Out of interest who here has bothered with a case/screen protector for the Gamepad anyway ?

mfny fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 1, 2012

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

mfny posted:

Ah I see, oh well.

I have a huge amount of OCD'nes when it comes to things with screens..touch screens especially so the reason I ask is im a bit twitchy about the Gamepad in terms of storing and protecting it so while I work this out I figured i may be able to use the pro controller.

It's a remote/controller, it goes on your couch table you sperg.

In other news, I used "lmao" in a post on Miiverse and it got moderated for "explicit sexual content". (For the record, I asked if FIFA13 is the same deal as the terrible Wii version). Nice.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Zuph posted:

Might have been mentioned, but after I logged in for the second time the system asked me if I wanted to auto login with any profile, and form there on our I was able to totally start up the system with the Wii Mote and not use the Game Pad at all.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Astro7x posted:

Might have been mentioned, but after I logged in for the second time the system asked me if I wanted to auto login with any profile, and form there on our I was able to totally start up the system with the Wii Mote and not use the Game Pad at all.

Weird, I've played a lot since getting it, always play the same profile, and it's never asked me.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Does Wii Mode use a completely separate set of Miis from the main Wii U console? Or is there a way to port/send existing Miis somehow? I'm wondering if I should whip up a few Miis from scratch to use with Old Wii games.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Minidust posted:

Does Wii Mode use a completely separate set of Miis from the main Wii U console? Or is there a way to port/send existing Miis somehow? I'm wondering if I should whip up a few Miis from scratch to use with Old Wii games.

You can import your Miis from Wii mode to the WiiU Mii Maker, yes.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You can import your Miis from Wii mode to the WiiU Mii Maker, yes.

I think he means the other way around

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

bilperkins2 posted:

In that case there's no way. I don't know why you'd want to. Miis have no purpose on the Wii. Play as hitler if you want.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Couldn't you transfer it with a remote?

Has anyone run out of presents in nintendoland yet?

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003

Astro7x posted:

My girlfriend and I have separate profiles. It didn't ask about autologin, and it wouldn't really work out in our situation, either.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

Couldn't you transfer it with a remote?

Has anyone run out of presents in nintendoland yet?

Spoiler about the total amount of presents: I saw it as xxx/200 in someone's screenshot.

My Nintendoland keeps forgetting which presents I've opened already and I'm left clicking like 40 ?-boxes all over the park again. Is that a common bug?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

Spoiler about the total amount of presents: I saw it as xxx/200 in someone's screenshot.

My Nintendoland keeps forgetting which presents I've opened already and I'm left clicking like 40 ?-boxes all over the park again. Is that a common bug?

I can't find anything on the final present in Nintendo land. I mean it's impossible to get all the stamps but it's easy to grind for coins, especially in Pikmin and the easy Zelda levels.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

bilperkins2 posted:

I'm saying he can make some in the Wii's Mii Plaza to use with Wii games, and then send them to his WiiU Mii Maker.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I just plugged in my ext hard drive to the WiiU and while it worked it made my data from Tekken inaccessible. Basically, I have to unplug the HD to get access to my old data. I need to fool around in the data management menu, but it is bad if the system can't access both drives at once.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
The fact that I need TWO wii motes and a gamepad to play mario with one other person is the biggest fail-design I can think of in recent memory.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If you're into the Twitter thing of following devs and tech bloggers and stuff, some people over on NeoGAF are compiling a list of those people on Miiverse:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=44949149

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

Katana Gomai posted:

I've noticed that I have to play another mini game after unlocking presents so they "save" otherwise I have to open them again when I get new presents. Try that.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Yea I've been doing that now and I hope that fixes it.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Bobnumerotres posted:

In that case there's no way. I don't know why you'd want to. Miis have no purpose on the Wii. Play as hitler if you want.

I'll still be playing as Robert DeNiro, Bruce Campbell, or the members of Dethklok :D

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Kiwillian posted:

For some reason, when I power up the gamepad the console does not turn on. It just moans at me to get closer but I am already pretty close. Any one had this happen or know how to sort it out?

The same thing happens to me. I have to manually push power on the Wii U.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Argue posted:

I know that the people with broken units tend to post more than people with functioning ones, so it's hard to gauge, but would you guys say the probability of a bad unit is low enough that I should ask someone to purchase a Wii U in the US and fly it over here to the Philippines (where it costs around $650)?

Pros: No need to pay the $300-$350 that all the stores here add to the base price, Cons: Wouldn't be able to exchange it at the store, so if it's bad, I'm screwed.

Aren't games region locked and as such the only thing you will need to take into consideration is that you will either have to devote your game purchases to importing every game that you want if you want to get the physical copy or simply download them from the e-shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Is anyone else having trouble with the eshop and downloading stuff? I bought ZombiU and it's stuck at 0%.

• Locked thread