Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Sweet Potato is the real money maker - Harvest Moon: More Friends of Mineral Town

What is Harvest Moon?

Harvest Moon is a series of life simulation games that are focused on the lives of new farmers building a life for themselves. Generally the main objective is to rebuild a rundown farm and turn it into a massive success. Over time you raise crops, expand the farm, befriend townsfolk and eventually get married and have a kid or two. The game tends to throw realism to the wind but it's planting and harvesting mechanics are great fun.

Originally released in 1996, it has never been what you could call a runaway success but it has a cult following (I'm included here!) who love the series and tend to buy new games that come out. Since it's release, there has been games on every Nintendo console released.

But without a doubt, it is my hands-down favourite game series.

More Friends of Mineral Town?

More Friends of Mineral Town is the second game released on the Game Boy Advance in 2003. It came to North America in 2005. It is essentially the same game as Friends of Mineral Town, except you play a girl instead of a boy. It has a lot in common with previous games in the series, and if you've played Harvest Moon 64 you will see that it will have a lot of common elements.

As for why I am playing a girl instead of a guy? More Friends of Mineral Town has some bug fixes and small changes that really improve the game.

So how are you going to LP this game?

I'm going to 100% this game as much as possible. While I'm going to give the thread the chance to decide the course of our Heroine's life you won't miss out on any hot Harvest Moon action that is available.

Now, there is some small content that we will miss out on because I don't have access to a Gamecube or A Wonderful Life. But if I can replicate any of it with Gameshark I will.

Anything Else?

Please avoid talking about character events and the hidden bachelors until they come up in thread. Everything else is fair game.

Updates:

01: Prologue - Spring 1 - Year 1

---------

I was wondering if I could get some advice on the picture quality and size. It took me ages to tweak it until I could get the blurriness out and reduce the average picture < 30kb

But really any advice would be fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twomoon42
Nov 12, 2012
I was wondering what the best way to record the screen video with the internal audio on mac OSX is, can anybody help me out?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

twomoon42 posted:

I was wondering what the best way to record the screen video with the internal audio on mac OSX is, can anybody help me out?
The better place to ask is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486018

And this might have some information for you: http://lparchive.org/meatsupport/SoftwareForMacs/

twomoon42
Nov 12, 2012

Ah. The link for the tech fort on the frist page directs to an archived thread, I was going to post there. Regardless, thanks for the help!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
But to answer your question in the thread, yeah, iShowU is fuckin' fantastic. It, and its system-capture Soundflower kext, is even 100% compatible with Hackintosh! Get it, use it, it's great, best purchase I've ever made as far as capture software goes. I wish they had something as convenient as that for Windows, I know everyone raves about VirtualDub and from all accounts it's basically open-source Windows iShowU, but I've never gotten it to work at all.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Yeah, iShowU HD is pretty awesome. It's very easy to understand and it outputs in great quality. I don't think dropping the extra $30 for the Pro version is really worth it, but the normal HD version is indeed a purchase I don't regret.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Lord Windy posted:

Sweet Potato is the real money maker - Harvest Moon: More Friends of Mineral Town

I suck with the tech stuff, so I'll let someone else critique that. Commentary's nice, though, and I think you're ready for a thread.

For the record, the images look fine to me, but I've been wrong on stuff like this before.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Camel Pimp posted:

Let's learn about stranger danger in Lunar: Eternal Blue!

Okay, that was a bit more stuff on display than I expected, but I wanted to actually produce content with some gameplay in it, at least. First off, I'm concerned at video quality. I'll be honest, I don't know much about video capture and all that. I'm kind of okay with the videos as they stand, but they could be better. Also, the length. Is the first update (not the prologue, as that's just a cutscene) too long? Too short?

God, I forgot how wordy this game can get sometimes. I didn't watch the videos on my first pass, and I think your screenshots are doing fine for those who don't watch them. On the second pass I did watch them and they seem as good quality as you can get with this game. First updates a little too wordy...but the game hasn't probably started yet so I wouldn't worry about that. The length seemed fine.

Normally this would be the place where I say "show us an update with more action, like a dungeon" but if you LPed the first game I think you know enough to handle those parts pretty well.

I never did play Silver Star Story until it's PSP remake, so this is the Lunar game that takes the soft place in my heart, though it was the remake. It's weird, this game seems really similar yet still partially different.

Think you're good for posting.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Lord Windy posted:

I don't know if you're trying to be Epee Em or what, but there's way too much HILARIOUS AND EDGY ANGER HUMORJOKES bogging down what could've been a nice test post. Don't force your humor, that'd be a good start.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

njsykora posted:

Recording off my PS2 spits out a 640x480 that I then resize to get Youtube's nice encoding.

I'm emulating right now, so that's not much of a problem. I'll have another test video up around 8:00pm Central Time.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Zannosuke posted:

I'm emulating right now, so that's not much of a problem. I'll have another test video up around 8:00pm Central Time.
He's more trying to make the point that you want to stay at a resolution with that aspect ratio, especially since I don't think PS1 games really supported widescreen resolutions and when you make them that way then they get stretched or squished. Now it's still possible to get a 720 resolution and stay in a 4:3 aspect ratio; but really don't make it a widescreen resolution.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

I don't know if you're trying to be Epee Em or what, but there's way too much HILARIOUS AND EDGY ANGER HUMORJOKES bogging down what could've been a nice test post. Don't force your humor, that'd be a good start.

After sleeping on it I agree. I'll go through and remove some of the superfluous 'angry' and just clean it up some.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Niggurath posted:

He's more trying to make the point that you want to stay at a resolution with that aspect ratio, especially since I don't think PS1 games really supported widescreen resolutions and when you make them that way then they get stretched or squished. Now it's still possible to get a 720 resolution and stay in a 4:3 aspect ratio; but really don't make it a widescreen resolution.

Okay, that's cool. I'll keep that in mind.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
01: Prologue - Spring 1 - Year 1

I made some small edits on my first post if anyone is interested. I already think it's quite a bit better.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
So what do you people think is useful to have in outros for video LP's?

Inherently, outros are advertisements for the person that made the video to pimp their other stuff.

But at the same time, I don't think people would mind it so much if more useful things are put into it. Sort of like how Steam is DRM but it is pretty convenient DRM... and those sales that are sucking up all my money.

Been trying to think of useful things a while now. All I can think of is buttons (plus annotations) to skip to the beginning of the series, the previous natural starting point, and next/previous episodes.

I don't really see a point of a subscribe button since there is usually a sub button in every Youtube app.

Think a link that picks a random video/series would be useful? Or just annoying...

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

Just end the video, yo. Maybe say goodbye? We can navigate youtube

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

Ham Heft posted:

Just end the video, yo. Maybe say goodbye? We can navigate youtube

That's what I normally do. But I've definitely have watched a series where it wasn't easy to go from part 1 to part 2.

I dunno, I'm just spitballing and questioning whether I'm missing out on something.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

VivaVizer posted:

Been trying to think of useful things a while now. All I can think of is buttons (plus annotations) to skip to the beginning of the series, the previous natural starting point, and next/previous episodes.
Isn't this literally what playlists are for.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Yeah, I can't say I was being very creative. Was hoping someone saw something awesome in an outro.

Though I've been doing annotations that goes to the next/previous episode while forcing it into the playlist video at the same time. So if you stumble upon a video, then you can get to the playlist view easily.

Ultimately, I'm wondering if there is anything that I could do to make any part of the experience more convenient.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I usually just say "hey thats the end of the video" but if the commentary is flowing really well I'll just add a picture or a small clip to the end and keep talking.

tentril
May 9, 2012
The only thing I can think of that makes that handy is if you covered every path in a game with a branching story. Then at the end of a video the viewer can choose the path to go on.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

You could always just link the playlist (and thread, if you have one) in the video description. If you list it first, the viewer wouldn't even need to click the "more" button.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Really the playlist is never more than 3 clicks away on Youtube, and I always link the playlist in threads anyway so I don't worry about linking it in the description. Maybe this is just something I really don't ever worry about.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
I dunno, I think 3 clicks is 2 clicks too many.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
If you don't know what to put in your outtro, don't add one.

It's that simple.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

VivaVizer posted:

I dunno, I think 3 clicks is 2 clicks too many.

This is really all quite thoughtful of you, but you're making this way more complicated than it needs to be. The current click situation isn't ideal, but it's not like it's unacceptable or anything.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Make your new video a reply to your old one. But, honestly, if someone wants to watch the next episode they'll find it. And if they are too lazy to click once or twice more, then they probably weren't that interested in the first place.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

See, I like to give my subscribers options. To get to the next video, I put an annotation over the entire video linking to the next one, an annotation over that linking to the playlist, an annotation over that linking to my channel, a link to the next video, the playlist, and my channel in the description, PLUS I put the video in a playlist, so all of the playlist tools are at the bottom. I also wrote a custom userscript that my subs can use to add about ten more buttons to the Youtube UI that link to the next video. It's all about options. Hope this helps.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Videos in playlists always show the next video in the playlist as the first item in the related videos on the side. The viewer doesn't even need to be in the playlist for this to happen. Your next video is literally a click away for them on the same page as the video without having to do any outro poo poo so long as you take the very small amount of effort to put your videos into a playlist.

Basically you're doing something you don't even have to do because Youtube already does it by default.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

sentrygun posted:

Videos in playlists always show the next video in the playlist as the first item in the related videos on the side. The viewer doesn't even need to be in the playlist for this to happen. Your next video is literally a click away for them on the same page as the video without having to do any outro poo poo so long as you take the very small amount of effort to put your videos into a playlist.

Basically you're doing something you don't even have to do because Youtube already does it by default.

That's really not true. If I look at my playlist of 15 videos, when I look at video 13, the related videos show video 3, 4, 9, and 10. Why? No idea, but it does. Episode 14 was uploaded two days ago so I don't believe it is Youtube just being slow. Does it for multiple videos that I have uploaded.

Ultimately, I want to give options like MeccaPrime but really want to look for options that viewers love. Though the consensus is it really it isn't needed. Which is fine. I'm rather lazy to begin with.

Will keep doing annotations for previous/next into playlist though. I did that because it is something that I find useful.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

VivaVizer posted:

That's really not true. If I look at my playlist of 15 videos, when I look at video 13, the related videos show video 3, 4, 9, and 10. Why? No idea, but it does. Episode 14 was uploaded two days ago so I don't believe it is Youtube just being slow. Does it for multiple videos that I have uploaded.

Ultimately, I want to give options like MeccaPrime but really want to look for options that viewers love. Though the consensus is it really it isn't needed. Which is fine. I'm rather lazy to begin with.

Will keep doing annotations for previous/next into playlist though. I did that because it is something that I find useful.
MeccaPrime was joking. He's trying to point out the tad bit of overkill that some people go through in putting in annotations telling where the next video is, or to subscribe, and all that nonsense when most of it is already presented on the screen. I mean depending on the game, most of my concurrent videos are also in the related video field off to the right. Also you can easily order playlists on Youtube; I think I've got like 20+ on there that I've easily reordered and manipulated at will. I mean taking a quick look at one of your Bioshock videos, what you're doing isn't really bad (posting little annotations at the end), but you also have the video as a response to the previous video, and you have it setup in a playlist. Eh, it just seems a bit much; but then again I think twitter accounts for LP'ers is too much, so what do I know.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

Niggurath posted:

MeccaPrime was joking.

Oh, well drat. Totally whooshed that.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Baldurk, I was browsing the archive earlier and noted that the attached LP on google videos has been made unavailable.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

VivaVizer posted:

That's what I normally do. But I've definitely have watched a series where it wasn't easy to go from part 1 to part 2.

I dunno, I'm just spitballing and questioning whether I'm missing out on something.

If the game is part of a series and/or has some lore attached, you might want to follow the Tales of Eternia LP, which adds an outro on the end to show and discuss things like how summon spirits appear in the other Tales games. (Seriously, why aren't more people watching that LP.)

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Zannosuke posted:

Yes, I did. My experience with Youtube is that having widescreen resolutions make videos lose less quality while uploading. Also, is there any remarkable difference between the PAL and NTSC versions of the game? It'd be interesting to see.

And now I can't wait to hear the voice acting in the PAL version.

Neither version has good voice acting but I think the PAL voice acting is more fitting, if that makes sense.

I was going to attempt to LP this game a while back but I couldn't get any good footage with the gear that I have, so I'm looking forward to either or both threads.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've actually tried to pick Ape Escape back up after buying it 2 years ago, but the disk takes forever to load now. I'll keep an eye on your LP. May even play along if I can get it working...

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

What is Final Fantasy Tactics
In the summer of '97, a little company (then) called Squaresoft released a strategy RPG for the Sony Playstation called Final Fantasy Tactics. And it was good. drat good. Marrying the Job System from FF3 and FF5 to the turn-based strategy gameplay of the Ogre Battle series, and including an intricate and well-written story and cast, FFT quickly became (and to this day remains) one of the flagship SRPG titles.

What is FFT 1.3
First, I'll let the creator get a word in:

quote:

Final Fantasy Tactics 1.3 is a difficulty and content modification for Final Fantasy Tactics. The primary goal of the project is to re-balance the gameplay mechanics of the original while adding difficulty. The project started with the idea that players did not need to impose artificial rules on themselves to make Final Fantasy Tactics challenging if a mod could be created to do it for them. FFT 1.3 alters job, monster, item, and battle statistics to make the entire game provide a challenge that matches the complexity and depth of its customization system. It's been in development since 2008 and is maintained by Archael. Several spin-off versions of 1.3 have been created as a result of demand by fans to experience the mod on other platforms or in other ways. 1.3 does not alter the game's storyline or its characters.
FFT 1.3 is somewhat infamous for its extreme difficulty and very steep learning curve, and while it is (very) hard, that reputation has somewhat overshadowed a lot of the other cool stuff going on with 1.3. Every character and monster class has been altered and rebalanced, with several being completely rewritten and a few that are completely new additions. Almost every random battle is new, and many story battles have been significantly altered.

Is it really that hard?
Yes, it is. FFT 1.3 requires a fairly intimate familiarity with the inner workings of FFT's battle system. There are a lot of little particularities and oddities that are in no way obvious, and the mod as a whole engenders a rather specific playstyle that doesn't really crop up in the base game.

Additionally, there's no real way to brute force your way through; because of the way enemies scale, leveling up actually makes fights harder. The odds will be stacked heavily against you in every single battle, often in very unfair ways. This mod regularly rides the line between "challenging" and "bullshit". Later chapters stray into I Wanna Be The Guy territory, and the optional content...well, you'll see.

Who is 1.3 (and this LP) for?
Bot the mod and this LP are intended for people already somewhat familiar with the base game. I don't intend to spend a lot of time going through the dialogue or story; for that, I recommend OrangeFluffySheep's excellent vanilla LP. If you want to play along with this LP but have never played FFT before, scoot your eyes a couple inches southwards.

What is FFT 1.3 Content?
Again, I'll let the creator tell it:

quote:

FFT Content 1.3 is a version of 1.3 with all the content of the full mod but stripped of much of its more difficult aspects. Storyline enemies have fixed levels instead of scaling with the party's level, letting the player power level in order to overcome difficulties. Storyline enemy gear is significantly weaker and Boss-type units are less powerful. This version of 1.3 came about after a large Let's Play FFT 1.3 thread from Something Awful by Declan MacManus revealed that many people desired the changes present in 1.3 but without the difficulty. From that moment on, the Content version of the project has been updated as new releases come out.
As I mentioned above, FFT 1.3 includes an rear end-load of new stuff. If you want to give the mod a go but don't find soul-grinding difficulty appealing, or if you want to play along with me but haven't sunk an embarrassing number of hours into the base game, I highly recommend Content.

What will you be showing off?
I intend to show every story battle, including all of the optional content. An exception of note is the Deep Dungeon, where I plan to do one battle per map. I'll show off random battles as the urge strikes me, or by request of the thread.

You're a dirty, cheaty-faced cheater!
Well, yes and no. I WILL be using a save editor (namely FFTastic). However, I'll do so only to (a) avoid a lot of dumb grinding, and (b) sometimes give the little peoples funny names. I WILL NOT use cheats to do anything that could not be done completely legitimately within the game.

This is purely a quality-of-life thing: I'm not going to spend five hours watching my team run around Mandalia Plains throwing rocks at each other to grind JP, nor will I load/reset a million times to get a rare monster spawn so I can show off some poaches. You wouldn't want to watch it and I don't want to do it.

Episodes
Episode 0: The Middle is the Beginning is the Middle

-----

Any advice would be super duper awesome, especially since this would be my cherry popper. I know the .gif is kind of chunky but I like the idea of showing off some of the animations.

Also, I did ask Declan if he had any plans to go back to his LP and he gave me a thumbs up. Figured it was the polite thing to do anyhow.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

This might just be me, but those screenshots are gigantic. You can probably cut the resolution on them in half and it'd look much better.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

This might just be me, but those screenshots are gigantic. You can probably cut the resolution on them in half and it'd look much better.

They are also blurry as hell. Also, you used Bot when you mean both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

The pictures are a little unclear. If you are playing this on an emulator check to see if they have any magnification opens. I haven't play this game either, but it looks like it uses pixel art so I recommend using png to save instead.

• Locked thread