Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Buffs are even crazier in some of the earlier SMT games, where they don't wear off, and they stack. Then there's poo poo like Fog Breath. Fog Breath is just nasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

YggiDee posted:

Buffs are even crazier in some of the earlier SMT games, where they don't wear off, and they stack.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Just finished the true ending and epilogue. It's all over :cry:

God drat, was that awesome. I thought the original was great, but this just blows it out of the loving water. Definitely get this if you're on the fence, I'd even say that it's worth getting the system for it if you're so inclined to do things like that.

True end and epilogue spoilers:

Oh god that was amazing. Seeing everyone six months later :unsmith: Everybody looks really happy, and Nanako really is starting to resemble her mother.

drat, Naoto :stare:

Kanji :lol:

Rise hair big hair.

Apparently Marie's associated persona is Kaguya? Sweet, that's the one I used for the endgame. Wish we could have used her as a party member, but I think it's better this way.

Speaking of Marie, I think it went something like this:

1. Izanami -> Dies after giving birth to Kagutsuchi, splits into:
2. Izanami-no-Ookami + Ameno-sagiri + Kunino-sagiri + Kusumi-no-Ookami AKA Marie -> Regroup after True End into:
3. Izanami-no-Mikoto AKA Mariko Kusumi AKA Magic Weatherwoman

I suppose the game made a point out of redeeming Izanami by using the truth theme against the "do not look at me" portion of the "origin of death" myth, so that she can die for real this time and be reborn as Marie. Hence why the protagonist's persona is Izanagi.

As such, I still think the MC is supposed to be Izanagi's reincarnation v:v:v So in some way, Marie is implied to be the intended route (or maybe not, considering how it went last time).

The world of the Midnight Channel (i.e. inside the TV) is probably supposed to be a manifestation of humanity's thoughts and memories given form, like a metaphysical "fantasy" world vs. our world of reality. Kinda like Gensokyo, without the "forgotten" part. (Or maybe it is, considering the whole conscious vs. unconscious thing?)

So! Any chance for more? Or is it Persona 5 from now on? I have no idea how they're going to top this.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 1, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Endorph posted:

To do a quick summary: Yosuke is a bit of a jack-of-all-trades early on, later on he becomes more of a buffer/nuker.
Chie is a physical damage dealer through and through.
Yukiko is a healer/fire nuker.
Kanji is a lot like Chie in that he's a phys damage dealer but he's a bit beefier than her and his magic is worse.
Teddie can be tuned to do just about anything: Ice magic nuker, healer, buffer. The only role he can't fulfill is phys damage dealer. It's best to focus on two of those things and making him a nuker/healer just makes him a clone of Yukiko but with ice, so basically he can be a nuker/buffer or a healer/buffer. I guess you could tune him to do all three things at once, but I never tried that.
Naoto's in kind of a weird place. Very good at killing random enemies due to having both instant kill elements (and in P4:G, Electric and Ice magic) in dungeons but against bosses the only real option is mind charge + Megidoloan. It does good damage but chews through SP like woah.

That said, the Protag's wild card system means you can use literally any party you like, so long as you shore up your party's blind spot with him. The guy can do such insane damage that making him your healer probably isn't ideal, but you can still do it if you really wanna use Chie/Kanji/Yosuke or whatever.

They've changed Naoto significantly to get every single target Dyne spell if you go on Bike Dates. I have Kanji and Teddie, so I gave Naoto Fire and Wind and every element is covered. Also Invigorate 2+3 so SP isn't as big of a deal for Naoto as it used to be.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

They've changed Naoto significantly to get every single target Dyne spell if you go on Bike Dates. I have Kanji and Teddie, so I gave Naoto Fire and Wind and every element is covered. Also Invigorate 2+3 so SP isn't as big of a deal for Naoto as it used to be.
Oh, really? I only skimmed the new skills so I didn't notice Garu or Agidyne on Naoto. That'll help a lot, then.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Endorph posted:

Kanji is a lot like Chie in that he's a phys damage dealer but he's a bit beefier than her and his magic is worse.

I always assumed Kanji was had better magic. He get's -dyne spells, while Chie doesn't go beyond Mabufu and Bufula.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I always assumed Kanji was had better magic. He get's -dyne spells, while Chie doesn't go beyond Mabufu and Bufula.
He has the worst magic stat and horrible SP but does get the whole range of skills. He even gets healing skills now on bike dates.

I think Chie can unlock further ice skills now so Kanji is definitely the worst at magic.

Edit: Jesus this band scene is the most anime thing

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 1, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

He has the worst magic stat and horrible SP but does get the whole range of skills. He even gets healing skills now on bike dates.

Kanji learning healing spells just...sucks. They should've given him almost literally anything else.

I always hated making a party. Kanji and Chie both are pretty awesome (Kanji is better overall, but GALACTIC PUNT!), but having both of them in your party at once is really redundant, and a huge pain in the rear end if you're fighting guys who are resistant to physical. I end up usually switching between them whenever I enter the TV.

Edit: Jesus this band scene is the most anime thing

It wouldn't be a JRPG without a crossdressing scene and a band scene.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Cannot Find Server posted:

It wouldn't be a JRPG without a crossdressing scene and a band scene.

Good thing there's not a beach trip and a hot springs episode or this would be getting really.....oh

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

W.T. Fits posted:

This is from an mechanics guide for the PS2 version; presumably, this stuff wasn't changed for Golden:
Does anyone know whether Evade skills stack? Like if I have Yukiko with an Evade Ice skill and she equips the Eye of Ice?

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"

Nondevor posted:

Also, Chie's new voice is really weirding me out right now. It's not bad.
She sounds fine any time she speaks normally, but I absolutely cannot stand it when she raises her voice. It's like nails on chalkboard. The new Teddie is great, though. I think he's much better than the original one.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

New Teddie sounded off for some reason in Persona 4 Arena but honestly outside of a word here and there I probably wouldn't have noticed the change if I wasn't aware of it in Golden. Also new Chie is pretty great although it sounds like she slips into a Hispanic accent or something every once in a while.

The new battle music is growing on me but I really like how the old one plays on Player Advantage battles. Overall it's really nice as someone that played the hell out of the original. I'm a little surprised funky student didn't get new riddles though.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Radish posted:

New Teddie sounded off for some reason in Persona 4 Arena but honestly outside of a word here and there I probably wouldn't have noticed the change if I wasn't aware of it in Golden. Also new Chie is pretty great although it sounds like she slips into a Hispanic accent or something every once in a while.

The new battle music is growing on me but I really like how the old one plays on Player Advantage battles. Overall it's really nice as someone that played the hell out of the original. I'm a little surprised funky student didn't get new riddles though.

he gets one in January but it's easy as hell.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

One of the best things about Golden is that the animated cutscenes are actually (relatively) well made this time around.

Well, except for a certain couple of scenes that are just completely and utterly unnecessary...:doh:

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I haven't gotten around to testing it yet myself, but looking at it, I think Naoto's actually really viable for boss fights now, if you're willing to put in a little extra effort. With the first bike date you get Bufudyne. If you check the gem trade-in shop, you can get a gun with Ice+25% on it. Combine that with a +50% Ice accessory, and Naoto winds up on equal footing with someone that has a Boost+Amp.

Mind you, the ideal max-damage set up for a character would be Amp + 50% Accessory, but don't forget that Naoto has Mind Charge to crank up the damage. Not to mention that having someone other than the MC able to cast Heat Riser sounds pretty excellent.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How do dungeons reset in this? Do I have to go out of the TV and back in?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Fallom posted:

How do dungeons reset in this? Do I have to go out of the TV and back in?

Each individual floor resets whenever you leave it. So say you're in Yukiko's Castle, and head up to Floor 4 from Floor 3, if you go back down to Floor 3, it'll have a different layout.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Golden Battler posted:

Not to mention that having someone other than the MC able to cast Heat Riser sounds pretty excellent.

Dragon Hustle would like a word with you. That SP cost and unlock requirement hurts, though.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Schubalts posted:

Dragon Hustle would like a word with you. That SP cost and unlock requirement hurts, though.

Dragon Hustle costs 150 SP. Chie has 299 SP at level 99. :shepface:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Just noticed they eased up on the "five-o'clock-shadow effect" that the character portraits all had in P4.

Also, my SOS phrase is "Bearsona Let's Go! Thanks To Sensei!" The image is, of course, Teddie.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

W.T. Fits posted:

Each individual floor resets whenever you leave it. So say you're in Yukiko's Castle, and head up to Floor 4 from Floor 3, if you go back down to Floor 3, it'll have a different layout.

Note that if you warp out of the dungeon and go back in, the floor will be the same as you left it UNLESS you went back to the entrance, in which case it will reset.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Chie has 299 SP at level 99. :shepface:

:laffo: They did that intentionally, didn't they?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Dragon Hustle costs 150 SP. Chie has 299 SP at level 99. :shepface:
Haha, drat.

I found myself pretty happy with Tarukaja and Debilitate personally in the original. I'm not sure Heat Riser is all that necessary.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nate RFB posted:

Haha, drat.

I found myself pretty happy with Tarukaja and Debilitate personally in the original. I'm not sure Heat Riser is all that necessary.

It is if you like nuking the hell out of bosses like I do :getin: Although I eventually changed it to Great/Normal received/dealt cause I was getting sick of obnoxiously long bosses.

Edit: This is also why I constantly use Naoto. That as well as one of my favorite characters.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 1, 2012

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Do you actually need Diligence higher than Rank 3 for anything? Nothing immediately comes to mind.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Do you actually need Diligence higher than Rank 3 for anything? Nothing immediately comes to mind.

More fishing attempts, and I think there's a choice in one of the Tower S.Link scenes where you need high Diligence in order to stay later to help the kid with some of his homework.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Finally got a Vita after trading in a bunch of Wii games, though I'll have to wait for my memory card to arrive. drat it I just played through this game twice not too long ago.

I generally dislike keeping everyone leveled up, so I do prefer to stick to one party. The only characters I'm quite confident I will drop are Chie and Teddie, and then after that it's whether I swap out Yosuke for Naoto. I really like Naoto's new skills, but Yosuke was probably the second most useful fighter I had previously besides Yukiko.

Also gonna ask this again: do Evade skills stack? Such as equipping Yukiko with Eye of Ice along with her Evade Ice skill?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I want to say it does, if it's anything like Amp and Boost. But don't take my word for it :eng101:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Cake Attack posted:

The Meat Dimension

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Finally got a Vita after trading in a bunch of Wii games, though I'll have to wait for my memory card to arrive. drat it I just played through this game twice not too long ago.

I generally dislike keeping everyone leveled up, so I do prefer to stick to one party. The only characters I'm quite confident I will drop are Chie and Teddie, and then after that it's whether I swap out Yosuke for Naoto. I really like Naoto's new skills, but Yosuke was probably the second most useful fighter I had previously besides Yukiko.

Also gonna ask this again: do Evade skills stack? Such as equipping Yukiko with Eye of Ice along with her Evade Ice skill?

I can't find anything in that old FAQ I mentioned (found here). I'd say probably not, but I don't know for sure.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

They gave Teddie new bear puns for winter break. Kodiak arrest!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That reminds me, is there a Round 2/Full Stats Max S-Link guide out yet?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

There's a Max S-Links guide at GameFAQs, but it only goes up to the end of August.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Pollyanna posted:

I think the KADFC guide on GameFAQs has a Round 2 guide near the bottom. Not sure if it's updated for the new Golden content.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

You guys were not kidding about Naoto's quest reward costume. Wow.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Schubalts posted:

You guys were not kidding about Naoto's quest reward costume. Wow.

Can it really be worse than Persona 3's "Battle Panties"?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Volt Catfish posted:

Can it really be worse than Persona 3's "Battle Panties"?

It's the same thing.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

Well, I found the 8-bit boss battle theme on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xDqJYqZXtk

Also, the Valentines day event was amazing. It was great for them to finally call out the Mormon harem bullshit that seemed completely acceptable in P3/P4, I'd have liked it more if there was some sort of Bad End for having chosen the romance option for all the female S-links.

Conch Shell Corp fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 2, 2012

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
Just found the little flaw in taking the save points away right before the bosses: I went through all of Void Quest, got to the boss and realized I'd forgotten to restore SP. Not wanting to waste a turn, I did what I'd become used to doing: I quit out of the game. Which, of course, had no idea that I'd gotten all the way to the tenth floor. :suicide:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

epenthesis posted:

Just found the little flaw in taking the save points away right before the bosses: I went through all of Void Quest, got to the boss and realized I'd forgotten to restore SP. Not wanting to waste a turn, I did what I'd become used to doing: I quit out of the game. Which, of course, had no idea that I'd gotten all the way to the tenth floor. :suicide:

That's what Goho-M and Return Daikons are for. That sucks, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So, Rise learns Relaxing Wave 16 levels earlier.

That's insane. That skill pretty much removes 90% of the dungeon's danger.

• Locked thread