Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Brennanite posted:

My husband is deeply serious about pizza and I'd like to get him a pizza cutter for Christmas. There seems to be three standard designs: wheel attached to a handle, just wheel, and teeter-totter (I have no better words to describe it). Which of these is the best?

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-4-Inch-Pizza-Wheel/dp/B00004OCJN/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Surely this is the answer.

Luegene Cards
Oct 25, 2004
I'm looking to upgrade my saute pan (which is my favorite pan (it is so perfect for things(more nested praise))). Right now I'm rocking the saute pan from the cuisinart multiclad blahblah here it is: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MCP...isinart+pan+set

I'm looking for something in the ~100 buck range, preferably a bit larger than the 10-inch diameter one I'm using now. I have trouble fitting in a butchered chicken without serious crowding, and I would be happier if this was not a thing that happened. So long, granted, as 11- to 12-inch saute pans are not ridiculous and heat terribly unevenly. I'm not so well informed. But yeah, I'd love a recommendation if you guys think I could get a solid upgrade in my price range. Thanks in advance!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Cook's Illustrated did a test of saute pans and said that yes anything larger than 10 inches will heat less evenly. If you don't mind that, here's their best rated one that is both cheaper than $100 and bigger than your MCP:

quote:

RECOMMENDED WITH RESERVATIONS
Tramontina Tri-Ply Clad 12-Inch Stainless Steel Jumbo Cooker with Lid
A lot of bang for your buck when it comes to surface area. However, its extra-broad surface browned unevenly and required extra cooking oil. It was also one of the heaviest pans in the lineup, requiring two hands to lift. Fortunately, it features a helper handle.

edit: I had the price wrong, it appears to be $96 now
http://www.amazon.com/Tri-Ply-Jumbo...bo+large+cooker

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 1, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Cook's Illustrated did a test of saute pans and said that yes anything larger than 10 inches will heat less evenly. If you don't mind that:

I think that would depend heavily on the footprint of your heat source.

Cooks illustrated also says that we should use blade grinders over burr for coffee, so...yeah. :rolleyes:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah, there are some things where they're clearly wrong, but I think they do a pretty thorough job on testing cookware at least.

You can always add a heat diffuser to help with distributing heat:
http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Tamer-Burner-Plate/dp/B00004W4UJ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1354299607&sr=8-6&keywords=heat+diffuser

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
If anyone is looking for vacuum sealer bags, if you add one 11"x12' GameSaver two pack to your cart Food Saver is adding 3 more boxes to your cart for free to total 96' for $24.99 shipped.

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah, there are some things where they're clearly wrong, but I think they do a pretty thorough job on testing cookware at least.
Sometimes... but then, sometimes they officially recommend a set of measuring cups whose handles fall off after a couple of trips through the dishwasher.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

Cooks illustrated also says that we should use blade grinders over burr for coffee, so...yeah. :rolleyes:

They also recommend kitchen knives based on the assumption that no one will ever sharpen them.

My understanding was that Cooks Illustrated tested saute pans by a) bashing them against a granite countertop until they fell apart (thus giving disc-bottom pans uniformly bad scores) and b) heating a piece of paper in the bottom of the pan and looking at the resulting pattern. I don't find their reviews persuasive.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Luegene Cards posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my saute pan (which is my favorite pan (it is so perfect for things(more nested praise))). Right now I'm rocking the saute pan from the cuisinart multiclad blahblah here it is: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MCP...isinart+pan+set

I'm looking for something in the ~100 buck range, preferably a bit larger than the 10-inch diameter one I'm using now. I have trouble fitting in a butchered chicken without serious crowding, and I would be happier if this was not a thing that happened. So long, granted, as 11- to 12-inch saute pans are not ridiculous and heat terribly unevenly. I'm not so well informed. But yeah, I'd love a recommendation if you guys think I could get a solid upgrade in my price range. Thanks in advance!

I'm sure you know this, but if you have a Marshall Homegoods near you, go look there. I was at the one near me and they had a ridiculous selection of tri ply saute pans including All Clad, Calphalon, Cuisinart, etc., all for very reasonable prices. I was in the market for a second sauce pan but I almost bought one anyway.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

nmfree posted:

Sometimes... but then, sometimes they officially recommend a set of measuring cups whose handles fall off after a couple of trips through the dishwasher.
One of the limitations of Cooks Illustrated is that they can't test hundreds of the same item, which is where something like Amazon product reviews becomes handy and you get a good idea about failure rates

Gilgameshback posted:

My understanding was that Cooks Illustrated tested saute pans by a) bashing them against a granite countertop until they fell apart (thus giving disc-bottom pans uniformly bad scores) and b) heating a piece of paper in the bottom of the pan and looking at the resulting pattern. I don't find their reviews persuasive.
Well... they don't mention bashing or paper in their saute pan review. You might be thinking of the skillet review, which was considerably more involved that just bashing and paper. For saute pans they talk about cooking 5 different foods, foods cooking at different rates, crepe browning evenness, pan thickness in relation to heat, overall weight, slippery handles, hot handles... It seems like a very reasonable review and considerably more information and testing than you or I have in our personal experience. Don't get me wrong, if my personal experience or several people here or on Amazon contradict CI reviews then I wouldn't take their side, but in the absence of a lot of other reviews CI's a pretty safe bet.

That said, you should probably do what Shooting Blanks recommended first ^^^^

edit: and as I mentioned before, a diffuser will probably solve most uneven heating problems. I might even go test out a griddle pan this weekend to see if it could work.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 1, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I am pretty particular about my cooking stuff, and cooks illustrated reviews usually hold up to my expectations. Just my two cents!

Luegene Cards
Oct 25, 2004
Okay, so far: 1. Really large saute pans don't heat very even unless I get a cast iron disk, 2. Go check out a solid kitchen store to get a feel for which I like. That's the poo poo I should know but don't - thanks!

I did see an all-clad saute on sale for a hundo, and given that the only negative thing I've heard about em is price, should I grab that poo poo up or is it worth shopping around? I use my saute pan for drat near everything, so if it's absolutely golden, it'd be worth it to me to rearrange my budget for something I wouldn't replace.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
edit: it seems your Cuisinart MCP saute (if it's the 3.5 quart saute) is 9 inches (bottom cooking surface), the Calphalon tri-ply is 9.5 inches and the All-Clad 3 quart tri-ply saute is 9.75 inches

If you can find a Calphalon for substantially cheaper at TJ Maxx or some other discount store, it's almost as good as the All-Clad. If the price difference is small, the All-Clad would be better because you'll also be getting an extra quarter inch diameter of cooking space, and hey, it's an All-Clad (bring a ruler shopping just in case).

All three of the pans are not so huge that a diffuser will be necessary.

The question is, is another 0.75 inches going to give you enough room for your chicken? If so, go for it. If not, that 12 inch Tramontina I posted earlier might still be your best bet.

edit: unfortunately it looks like Amazon doesn't have the Tramontina for less than $96 +$24 shipping
http://www.amazon.com/Tri-Ply-Jumbo...bo+large+cooker

So....

You also have this 5.5 quart Cuisinart MCP option here for $80:
http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MCP33-30H-MultiClad-Stainless-2-Quart/dp/B0009W38OY

If you do end up going with one of the 12 inch options, try it out first and then decide if it heats evenly enough first before going out to buy a diffuser. You might find that you don't need one after all.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 1, 2012

Luegene Cards
Oct 25, 2004
I think I'ma look into the 9.5 Calphalon and the All-Clad. The extra .75 inches of diameter gives me ~10 more square inches of room, and I'm so close to being able to fit a chicken in that I think that should do it. My range is kinda small so the 12 is sounding like a worse idea by the minute, and its huge size might relegate it to only certain tasks, and I like my saute pan as a work horse. Thanks for the excellent advice! GWS regularly saves me several dozen hours of research.

So, do I gift my current saute pan to an under-equipped friend, or do I have TWO SAUTE PANS. So dirty...

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

2 saute pans, without even thinking about it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Cooks Illustrated are spergy and wrong more than half the time. 99% of restaurants use cheap as poo poo warped to gently caress single ply aluminum and stainless pans, an your food will be fantastic.

If you want your cookware to last basically forever, find the cuisinart tri-ply at Marshall's or something, and learn to use a towel when grabbing anything in a kitchen.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Cooks Illustrated are spergy and wrong more than half the time. 99% of restaurants use cheap as poo poo warped to gently caress single ply aluminum and stainless pans, an your food will be fantastic.

If you want your cookware to last basically forever, find the cuisinart tri-ply at Marshall's or something, and learn to use a towel when grabbing anything in a kitchen.

Isn't that because restaurants know they are going to have to replace their stuff frequently and don't want to worry about careful maintenance? I don't think Cook's Illustrated is attempting to give commercial institutions any advice. Its for low knowledge home cooks, the kind of people that are probably looking to buy a pan and keep it for 20 years if possible.

Not that they aren't wrong sometimes and I guess they are spergy or whatever sure, just saying.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
Can someone tell me about Kitchen Scales? I was thinking of asking for one for Christmas, but I don't know which are the good brands, etc. I want one that can measure down to 1 gram but also measure in ounces, since in recipes it is less often 1.5 oz and more like 42 g and the hugher capacity the better, even though I doubt I will weight anything over 10 lbs, I don't want to get to that point where they are like "If you weigh anything over this amount you will break the scale". Is Ozeri a good brand?

I am looking at either this or this one but am wondering if that curve of reviews is average? Also people are saying it turns on too easily and drains batteries, but I guess you could just take the batteries out when it isn't in use. Also it kind of weirds me out that the company wouldn't bother to put pictures of each model and instead just uses pictures of one - the second link has some guy with a video review and you can see that it is different. A lot of the scales like this on Amazon are like that though, for some reason.

I like either of those two and they both do almost exactly what I want but I have some hesitation, can anyone give a recommendation?

vacuity
Sep 9, 2005

Devoyniche posted:

Can someone tell me about Kitchen Scales? I was thinking of asking for one for Christmas, but I don't know which are the good brands, etc. I want one that can measure down to 1 gram but also measure in ounces, since in recipes it is less often 1.5 oz and more like 42 g and the hugher capacity the better, even though I doubt I will weight anything over 10 lbs, I don't want to get to that point where they are like "If you weigh anything over this amount you will break the scale". Is Ozeri a good brand?

I am looking at either this or this one but am wondering if that curve of reviews is average? Also people are saying it turns on too easily and drains batteries, but I guess you could just take the batteries out when it isn't in use. Also it kind of weirds me out that the company wouldn't bother to put pictures of each model and instead just uses pictures of one - the second link has some guy with a video review and you can see that it is different. A lot of the scales like this on Amazon are like that though, for some reason.

I like either of those two and they both do almost exactly what I want but I have some hesitation, can anyone give a recommendation?

I was looking at that same Ozeri scale when I was in the market for one. Ultimately, I went with this one. I've been using it for about a year and it has been solid the entire time. It does everything you need quickly and accurately and the best part (for me, anyway) is it uses standard AAA batteries instead of that tiny lithium bullshit 98% of home scales use. I haven't bothered to see how it reacts if you go over 11 pounds, but I'm pretty certain it won't explode.

It's not as sexy as the Ozeri, and the construction feels a little cheap, but it gets the job done and I have no complaints.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is this Victorinox 8-inch chef's knife a good deal for $25?
http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Sw...+chef%27s+knife

I'm just looking for something to slice veggies/rarely meat with and I'd like to get something less terrible than the all-in-one set I have now. I know amazon has deals on knives from time to time: is it worth waiting? I'd like to keep it around $50.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Speaking of saute pans and Cook's Illustrated..

I have an Amazon giftcard I was going to use to replace my most heavily used skillet, and I can't decide between an all-clad saute pan and a fry pan.

The saute pan with the domed lid seems more versatile, but Cooks Illustrated says that straight sided pans don't sear as well as skillets with sloped sides, because the vertical edges inhibit evaporation and browning.

Is this something that's going to be noticeable for the average home cook?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

Is this Victorinox 8-inch chef's knife a good deal for $25?
http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Sw...+chef%27s+knife

I'm just looking for something to slice veggies/rarely meat with and I'd like to get something less terrible than the all-in-one set I have now. I know amazon has deals on knives from time to time: is it worth waiting? I'd like to keep it around $50.

That is the exact knife you want.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

That is the exact knife you want.

quote:

Thank You! Your 1-Click order has been placed.

Thanks, that was pretty easy.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Devoyniche posted:

I've got the second of those Ozeri scales. It works fine. Yes, you can easily turn it on by brushing against it but if you're not a clumsy slob then it shouldn't be a problem. It stores away nicely too and you can weigh things in the dark.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

a handful of dust posted:

Speaking of saute pans and Cook's Illustrated..

I have an Amazon giftcard I was going to use to replace my most heavily used skillet, and I can't decide between an all-clad saute pan and a fry pan.

The saute pan with the domed lid seems more versatile, but Cooks Illustrated says that straight sided pans don't sear as well as skillets with sloped sides, because the vertical edges inhibit evaporation and browning.

Is this something that's going to be noticeable for the average home cook?

Not noticeable at all, just get the one you prefer. And I have no idea what they're talking about, I use straight edge pans for searing all the time.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
In re scales, we have the OXO kitchen scale, and it's great. The best is that if you put a large bowl on it, the display potion can be yanked out on a wire, letting you see what you're weighing.

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008
If I were looking for a recommendation for stemware, have I come to the right place? If I have, I was looking for a suggestion for red wine glasses for my girlfriend. Her only criterion aside from being true stemware is having a large capacity.

Glockamole fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 2, 2012

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Cavenagh posted:

I've got the second of those Ozeri scales. It works fine. Yes, you can easily turn it on by brushing against it but if you're not a clumsy slob then it shouldn't be a problem. It stores away nicely too and you can weigh things in the dark.

How sensitive is the scale? Some reviews were saying it would give a different reading if you placed what you were weighing on different areas, or something. Also, how long is the battery life? The other thing I really liked about it was that it looked like it's super easy to store, and I don't have too much room in the kitchen, although I could probably move some things around to clear up a spot for a larger scale to stay.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

So my Pyrex dish just loving shattered, I want a new borosilicate glass baking dish, what brands won't cover the bottom of my oven in shards of glass?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Glockamole posted:

If I were looking for a recommendation for stemware, have I come to the right place? If I have, I was looking for a suggestion for red wine glasses for my girlfriend. Her only criterion aside from being true stemware is having a large capacity.

The biggest bowls belong to the "Grand Cru" Burgundy glasses. They're available from most of the major manufacturers, like Ravenscroft or Schott or Riedel if you have a bit more money than sense. They're usually around 35-38 ounces. Of course you're not supposed to fill them, but you can push "just one" as far as it'll go.

And then there's the Schott Grand Cru XXL, which claims a liver-exploding 90 ounce capacity.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

TaurusTorus posted:

So my Pyrex dish just loving shattered, I want a new borosilicate glass baking dish, what brands won't cover the bottom of my oven in shards of glass?

The only brand I've seen in the US is Marinex on amazon, but the reviews on it seem lukewarm. There's also Corelle/Corningware Visions cookware, which is some other type of super heat resistant glass.

Pyrex in the UK uses borosilicate glass unlike Pyrex US, but they're apparently region restricted from Amazon UK

Edit: how did it happen, btw? Pyrex seems to work fine for everything except the broiler and extreme temp changes...

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 2, 2012

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008

Yond Cassius posted:

The biggest bowls belong to the "Grand Cru" Burgundy glasses. They're available from most of the major manufacturers, like Ravenscroft or Schott or Riedel if you have a bit more money than sense. They're usually around 35-38 ounces. Of course you're not supposed to fill them, but you can push "just one" as far as it'll go.

And then there's the Schott Grand Cru XXL, which claims a liver-exploding 90 ounce capacity.

I don't think it's about pushing "just one" or anything, so much as she just likes the look of a relatively large glass. I expect that half the volume of a Grand Cru would suffice. Are those brands generally reliable for stemware?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

FishBulb posted:

Isn't that because restaurants know they are going to have to replace their stuff frequently and don't want to worry about careful maintenance? I don't think Cook's Illustrated is attempting to give commercial institutions any advice. Its for low knowledge home cooks, the kind of people that are probably looking to buy a pan and keep it for 20 years if possible.

Not that they aren't wrong sometimes and I guess they are spergy or whatever sure, just saying.

this is how I feel.

I've cooked professionally for a couple years of my life - the thin throwaway poo poo has A. a bunch of mexicans slamming it through a wash cycle every 20 minutes, and B. professional 1,000,000 btu burners firing underneath. even heating isn't so much of an issue, because the entire bottom of the pan gets blasted to hell and back. with wimpy normal home burners, even heating matters more because the area of heat is more specific, and weak.

also the maintenance thing. I don't think this is *as* important, but it's a valid point - a home cook isn't going to chuck the pan 20ft across the kitchen into the dish pit. (while the pan is still 500 degrees)

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Glockamole posted:

I don't think it's about pushing "just one" or anything, so much as she just likes the look of a relatively large glass. I expect that half the volume of a Grand Cru would suffice. Are those brands generally reliable for stemware?

Oh, okay. You gave me one criteria, so I took that one as far as it would go. The Burgundy glasses actually look slightly ridiculous. :D

Of the brands that I listed...
Ravenscroft I included mostly because they make the most affordable Grand Cru design I know. They're very good-looking for the price, but a bit on the fragile side in my experience. I was decently happy with mine, but I gave them away rather than try to take them with me when I moved. I didn't bother to replace them.

Schott Zweisel will cost a bit more, but they're fantastic. Most of their lines are made from a special titanium crystal. They're really tough, they have a great shine, and they don't seem to water-spot as easily as regular glasses. As a bonus, a lot of their non-grand-cru Bordeaux/Burgundy glasses fall right into that sweet spot I think you're looking for, right around 20-25 ounces.

Riedel is, like I said, mostly a "bit more money than sense" decision. They have a really fantastic marketing department, and they sponsor a lot of wine events to use Riedel glasses exclusively, so there's a bit of a premium attached to the name. They're good stuff, though, and they have an incredible variety of glasses. The Sommelier line is hand-blown and correspondingly (very) expensive.

If you're not going for the really super-size bowls, you may also want to check out Stölze, too. They hit a really good price/looks/quality sweet spot, and while I have Schott glasses and Riedels, Stölzes make up the biggest chunk of my set.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

mindphlux posted:

this is how I feel.

I've cooked professionally for a couple years of my life - the thin throwaway poo poo has A. a bunch of mexicans slamming it through a wash cycle every 20 minutes, and B. professional 1,000,000 btu burners firing underneath. even heating isn't so much of an issue, because the entire bottom of the pan gets blasted to hell and back. with wimpy normal home burners, even heating matters more because the area of heat is more specific, and weak.

also the maintenance thing. I don't think this is *as* important, but it's a valid point - a home cook isn't going to chuck the pan 20ft across the kitchen into the dish pit. (while the pan is still 500 degrees)

In the kitchen I work at, we use something similar to this for all of our saute work. These pans are basically made out of tin foil and whispers, but they do the job. Doesn't hurt that if that chintzy-rear end spot weld on the handle breaks, we're only out like $8 and a trip to the restaurant supply store.

Do silicone flat top scrapers exist? The wood and metal one I have at work is all dinged up now and doesn't squeegee oil off of the flat top worth poo poo.

Radio Help fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 2, 2012

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Steve Yun posted:

Edit: how did it happen, btw? Pyrex seems to work fine for everything except the broiler and extreme temp changes...

No clue, just baking a chicken breast, took it out to check if it was done, and it shattered in my hand.

edit: I guess I wasn't careful about temperature differences, probably the room-temperature marinade was enough? I thought Pyrex was sterner stuff.

TaurusTorus fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 3, 2012

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

TaurusTorus posted:

No clue, just baking a chicken breast, took it out to check if it was done, and it shattered in my hand.

Did you place it down on a surface?

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GrAviTy84 posted:

The gently caress? :staredog:

What was their rationale for that? Price?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
They didn't test any grinders over $50 and seemed to put priority on ease of use and design.

Coffee seems to be outside of their wheelhouse.

Doh004 posted:

Did you place it down on a surface?

I've had a hot glass plate crack from being put on a cold countertop.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

mediaphage posted:

In re scales, we have the OXO kitchen scale, and it's great. The best is that if you put a large bowl on it, the display potion can be yanked out on a wire, letting you see what you're weighing.

My only real gripe with the Oxo scale is the god drat auto shut off feature. It shuts off after a fixed length of time, even if the scale is actively being used and registering weight changes. $5 Chinese scales get this right, but Oxo can't with thei $50 scale? It remembers the weight it's reading if you don't add anything before turning it back on, but if it shuts off while you are adding ingredients it resets back to zero. I've got into a routine of regularly turning it off and on because I suspect it will shut off while I am measuring an ingredient.

Aside from that, the display update is a bit slow, but it isn't a big deal for cooking. I love that the display has no exposed electronics to be messed up by spills, that it comes out from the body, and that you can remove the weighing tray for cleaning. As for battery life, the original batteries in mine lasted for almost four years of regular use. Pretty good.

• Locked thread