Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gigabolt is still ridiculous, though it has been nerfed. The initial blast itself is still just as strong, it was the Death Arc advantage that used to wipe rooms that got a cut.

Power Armor had a review, it's good now.

Haven't played much Earth or Wind, but Wind is one of those One Skill Wonders from what I hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Is the golden power in power armor still laser sword? I remember that one being a complete beast of an attack. What are the other good attacks in power armor these days? Do the weapon toggles still eat way too much energy for how effective they are?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

Power Armor had a review, it's good now.
Really? Sweet, I was hoping to try PA again for some variety. Munitions treats me right, but spamming Assault Rifle and Shotgun while efficient as hell for at least half your levels gets samey. Juggling three attacks for each positional slot for constant Dakka, good times.

Is primary INT still a good idea, or has the great superstats shake up made more than just not needing Con/End to make your Invulnerability function well the case? Int/End/Rec?

So many choices. Power Bolt treated me right way back at launch (May try Tactical Missiles since it's new), and Mini-gun for AoE feels like a decent level 6 starting point at least. Or Micro Munitions, but I wanna keep that chest slot free for Chest Beam.

As for Laser blade, while I don't know offhand about it's effectiveness the various laser blade powers are self contained click stabs, so you just bust them out whenever compared to not being allowed to do anything else while your tiny little eyebeams gently warm an enemy.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Metrohunter posted:

Is the golden power in power armor still laser sword? I remember that one being a complete beast of an attack. What are the other good attacks in power armor these days? Do the weapon toggles still eat way too much energy for how effective they are?
Actually Power Armor's kind of decent all around. The toggle powers still have some issues, but they're a lot more forgiving with their activation and timing if you use non-toggled stuff. And there's a lot more powers to choose from, including a whole sub-tree of laser sword-themed powers complete with an energy builder. Really, it's better to just go and try it out personally, especially since it's easier to reach (and test) high-tier powers these days.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Has there been much content added since I stopped playing? I ended up quitting right before Alerts got released, so I'm assuming there's at least a decent chunk I haven't done.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Vermain posted:

Has there been much content added since I stopped playing? I ended up quitting right before Alerts got released, so I'm assuming there's at least a decent chunk I haven't done.
Batman powers (In gadgets), and ridiculous Fighter Jets/flying combat cars (if you pay money/trade for something somebody paid money for) in the most recent patches.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Section Z posted:

Batman powers (In gadgets), and ridiculous Fighter Jets/flying combat cars (if you pay money/trade for something somebody paid money for) in the most recent patches.

But as far as actual things to do, rather than things to do them with, you've got like... one new mission?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Cleretic posted:

But as far as actual things to do, rather than things to do them with, you've got like... one new mission?

Yeah- they did a few small time-limited event things like Nighthawk's whole weird mystery thing, but the only content permanently added was the new totally-not-the-SHIELD-hellicarrier defense mission. (which is meant for vehicles but you can do it without them)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Cleretic posted:

They've been focusing pretty much entirely on rampages/events for new gameplay content, and most of them are honestly pretty fun! They cycle between Nighthawk (you get a jet and you fight a helicopter thing), Warlord (Probably the hardest mobs in terms of not-dying), and Hi-Pan. They're currently working on a new one featuring a fire/ice villain duo from the Design-a-Villain contest a while back.

Also the Helicarrier mission, but my laptop died before I got a chance to try it.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 2, 2012

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
To be fair, it is a pretty good mission, though.

If they had more Marvel-esque missions like that in every update, this game would probably pick up a ton of people. If only because it'd be matching the content that CoH used to put out in terms of size. The default interpretation of Champions (Which from what I understand is pretty iffy. It's not as light-hearted as the game makes it out to be.) is pretty boring, really, too. So dropping the whole "we're so light the silver age can't stand us" interpretation of the setting would be nice as well.

Hell, more missions where they take the concept of a raid and turn it on its head would be awesome.

The fact that outside of the Mega Destroid (Which is a bonus boss.) there's no real NPC's where you have to group up to focus down on is pretty great. Instead, the heli-carrier mission/raid is just you and a few good heroes against a literal army of murderbots and one roided up jackass in a suit of power armor who just doesn't know when to quit.

Honestly, that seems a hell of a lot more heroic than beating the ankles of some giant mob for ten minutes anyways. Especially since the range of powersets are varied enough that you can do all sorts of absurd poo poo just for laughs.

Doubly so, since the game picked up a few of the "character building is serious business" types who think that min maxing is everything. The game has some pretty entertaining options there for the creative. Like getting together with a few friends to start a mass summoning ritual on the deck of the carrier that spawns hordes of pissed off ghost wolves that tear apart the robots as soon as they land.

The sheer apoplectic rage that some people fly into when they see hordes of wolves/velociraptors/any other summons making GBS threads all over Black Talon over and over is amazing to behold, too. Never mind that the summoned mobs seem willing to jump off the side of the carrier to get at enemies sometimes, which means that you're literally airdropping rabid ghost wolves on people whenever that happens.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Dec 2, 2012

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I think it took away a chunk of my costumes when it patched the game for double exp weekend. Or, I had a bunch of things unlocked for free on accident for some reason and it recently fixed it.

Example, Serpent armor. That poo poo was unlocked for me last few times I went through char builder (Though don't recall ever deliberately buying it)... Now it isn't and I have to buy it if I wanted it. clicking "Hide and remove unowned parts" doesn't remove it from the character in progress either.

Steampunk, I was able to select it just fine in the clear (even if I didn't use the parts) while setting up my TK robot. Now it is back to being unbought.

Meanwhile, I still have access to the shark tail. But not the hammerhead shark head, both of which are listed as part of the Wild Things pack.

I know for a recalled fact I bought the High Tech, and Cyborg Beast packs, those are still listed as purchased... Meanwhile, the "New Millenium Tights" is marked as purchased but it's not something I would have ever bothered to throw money at.

I'd lay odds it's "It accidentally unlocked things in my long untouched account", just being reset. But still, always strange when your dress up bits are taken away from you no matter how you got them. Or when you have something in the digital closet you can't remember buying.

EDIT: Also, how the hell do I get the main menu (not launcher) to remember my perfect world login? It keeps filling in my old Cryptic account name instead, no matter how many times I type in the perfect world name and check/uncheck remember my account name. Even if I unchecked it, log in. log out, quit, restart, recheck remember login, load a character, and log out... oh wait it's STILL filling in the old Cryptic account name :psyduck:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 2, 2012

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006
It's not pronounced the way you think.

Section Z posted:

Is primary INT still a good idea, or has the great superstats shake up made more than just not needing Con/End to make your Invulnerability function well the case? Int/End/Rec?

I don't know about power armor specifically, but in general Intelligence isn't as useful as it used to be. Most utility-slot gear will inherently include cost and cooldown reductions, and because of the way the math on those is implemented, any intelligence you take is already being pushed in to diminishing returns because of what you get from gear.

Secondary Int is still useful, but primary would take you well beyond the curve for cost reduction. I wouldn't take Int as primary unless you like the specialization tree it gives you, or are making a cooldown-centric character. (Or really like stealth sight.)

Section Z posted:

EDIT: Also, how the hell do I get the main menu (not launcher) to remember my perfect world login? It keeps filling in my old Cryptic account name instead, no matter how many times I type in the perfect world name and check/uncheck remember my account name. Even if I unchecked it, log in. log out, quit, restart, recheck remember login, load a character, and log out... oh wait it's STILL filling in the old Cryptic account name :psyduck:
A friend of mine was having the same issue. I'll ask him later today and see if he fixed it, or if not we'll experiment and try to find a solution.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're working on some big update we haven't had any information on at the moment. It's probably something at least Adventure Pack/Comic Series in scope, because it's an all hands thing.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Aphrodite posted:

They're working on some big update we haven't had any information on at the moment. It's probably something at least Adventure Pack/Comic Series in scope, because it's an all hands thing.

Champions Online: Mandragalore Arises!

An all new adventure pack taking place exclusively in Lemuria with non stop underwater action. All Mandragalore, all the time.

Best zone ever. :colbert:

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
It better be on the moon. :colbert:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Guy Forget posted:

I don't know about power armor specifically, but in general Intelligence isn't as useful as it used to be. Most utility-slot gear will inherently include cost and cooldown reductions, and because of the way the math on those is implemented, any intelligence you take is already being pushed in to diminishing returns because of what you get from gear.

Secondary Int is still useful, but primary would take you well beyond the curve for cost reduction. I wouldn't take Int as primary unless you like the specialization tree it gives you, or are making a cooldown-centric character. (Or really like stealth sight.)
Thanks, for some reason I'm always so lost when it comes to superstating anything that isn't a no thought required DEX/EGO Etc or DEX/STR etc simplistic Melee or ranged smasher. I recall/figure multiple powers at once PA to be an energy hog (Holy poo poo that Concussion beam alone :stare:), so was wondering if a guarantee of good energy through superstats was useful.

But Dex/Ego/Rec is probably the end result as usual there isn't it, for somebody who shoots things. Though anytime I consider taking Regeneration (like if I ever do Bestial Supernatural finally), I'd figured on CON as a superstat instead of recovery, which also works for Resurgance.

Comedy Question: Any other things aside from aspect of the bestial, or Enrage have a 0 cost Growth effect? That thing sounds hilarious.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
So, I'm looking to get into this. Downloaded everything, went in to play...and my monitor doesn't support it or something. Just a message that says "input not supported"...kind of a bummer. Has this happened to anyone else?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
"INPUT not supported" sounds like it doesn't like your keyboard driver or some poo poo, not your graphics adapter/monitor.

Like a lot of City of X refugees, yes I'm lurking this thread too. It sounds like the basic problems that made me drop Champions a long while back (just before the release of Alerts if I remember correctly) are still problems, namely that there isn't much new structured content and that everybody's a tankmage?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Eh, got a work-around. Seems to be just fine in windowed mode.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
Been dabbling on and off with this for the past few weeks. Made an Unleashed that just hit 25 thanks to this double XP boost. The game is honestly quite fun though I question how long that will stay. Any advice for new silver folks? Leveling strategy, etc?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Flesh Forge posted:

"INPUT not supported" sounds like it doesn't like your keyboard driver or some poo poo, not your graphics adapter/monitor.
No, it's an error message that monitors display when they can't display the input. It happens when monitors advertise display modes to the driver that it can't actually support, and any game can cause it.

Fullscreen should work if you select a mode your monitor can support.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Flesh Forge posted:

Like a lot of City of X refugees, yes I'm lurking this thread too. It sounds like the basic problems that made me drop Champions a long while back (just before the release of Alerts if I remember correctly) are still problems, namely that there isn't much new structured content and that everybody's a tankmage?

People are as tankymagey in this as they were in CoH. Much like CoH, it's about the build.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Killsion posted:

Been dabbling on and off with this for the past few weeks. Made an Unleashed that just hit 25 thanks to this double XP boost. The game is honestly quite fun though I question how long that will stay. Any advice for new silver folks? Leveling strategy, etc?

Don't neglect Adventure Packs/Comic Series. They're much more fun than a lot of the game's standard content(usually- the newer ones are better, some of the older ones are kind of bland or tedious) and if you're stuck in a spot where you're unhappy with the content you're running into, they're a great break from it. Plus you earn Questionite for completing them, and there's usually some costume drops to get from them too. They're sort of the equivalent of CoH's Task Forces in that they're self-contained and do things you won't see happen elsewhere in the game, BUT you can run them solo if you'd like to. These used to be for-pay content, and were made free to everyone forever about half a year ago- they're pretty good quality. Some of CO's better content overall.

Also, if you end up really enjoying the game, subscribing or buying a freeform slot might be worthwhile. Playing the game as a freeform is really the best way to play, being able to choose any powers you want from any sets is just awesome for doing weird gimmick or concept builds and you can still make them pretty effective. That's really CO's strength.

Also, since you're 25, make sure you go talk to the police chief and make your Nemesis! They're a little buggy right now but making a Nemesis is one of CO's cooler features and it's easy to miss it if you don't know when you're supposed to go do that.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Don't neglect Adventure Packs/Comic Series. They're much more fun than a lot of the game's standard content(usually- the newer ones are better, some of the older ones are kind of bland or tedious) and if you're stuck in a spot where you're unhappy with the content you're running into, they're a great break from it. Plus you earn Questionite for completing them, and there's usually some costume drops to get from them too. They're sort of the equivalent of CoH's Task Forces in that they're self-contained and do things you won't see happen elsewhere in the game, BUT you can run them solo if you'd like to. These used to be for-pay content, and were made free to everyone forever about half a year ago- they're pretty good quality. Some of CO's better content overall.

Also, if you end up really enjoying the game, subscribing or buying a freeform slot might be worthwhile. Playing the game as a freeform is really the best way to play, being able to choose any powers you want from any sets is just awesome for doing weird gimmick or concept builds and you can still make them pretty effective. That's really CO's strength.

Also, since you're 25, make sure you go talk to the police chief and make your Nemesis! They're a little buggy right now but making a Nemesis is one of CO's cooler features and it's easy to miss it if you don't know when you're supposed to go do that.

I did Operation Demonflame pretty easily, didn't have much difficulty, and aside from being rather tedious wasn't too bad. Went into Aftershock, got to #2 with the Despair Incarnate and got utterly wrecked around level 13. Came back around lvl 22. Still got utterly wrecked. I am stumped how I am supposed to beat that guy. I've also noticed I feel like I get a lot less XP running these, or maybe it is just because they take so long to finish?

What exactly is Questionite? I've received a small amount so far and I'm not really sure what exactly it is.

I did make my Nemesis actually, one of the reasons after hearing about this double XP weekend I wanted to rush to 25 on that character to make. Blindly chose my minions though since they never appeared on the right side which was annoying.

I've been dabbling with the idea about going gold for a month or getting a freeform. Seems like gold is obviously the better idea, but I don't exactly like the idea of losing my characters after I go back to silver.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also the best thing you can do is join goon chat.

quote:

What exactly is Questionite? I've received a small amount so far and I'm not really sure what exactly it is.

It's just a currency. The special thing about it is you can exchange it for Zen.

This still works, by the way: http://www.alienwarearena.com/giveaway/champions-online-ffa-game-bundle

Adventure Packs are now free for everyone, but you still get a free costume set and archetype out of it.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 3, 2012

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006
It's not pronounced the way you think.

Section Z posted:

I spent a while doing research and experimentation (CO forums, locally stored files, and the registry) and my conclusion is that when you log out of a character and return to the login prompt, the server sends what it thinks is your account name to helpfully fill in that box for you rather than drawing from any local data. The problem is it's sending your old Cryptic account name rather than the PW account that you're required to use now.

If I'm correct about this, then there's nothing you can do on your end to fix it--things would have to be fixed server side so that the correct account name is sent.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Killsion posted:

I did make my Nemesis actually, one of the reasons after hearing about this double XP weekend I wanted to rush to 25 on that character to make. Blindly chose my minions though since they never appeared on the right side which was annoying.

I've been dabbling with the idea about going gold for a month or getting a freeform. Seems like gold is obviously the better idea, but I don't exactly like the idea of losing my characters after I go back to silver.

Questionite is the currency you exchange for Zen, which in turn is the cash shop currency. This means that, with a ton of patience, you can get everything subs get (except vet rewards, and I think power recoloring)

Also for any new players wondering what comics or adventure packs to run:

Serpents Lantern is EASILY the most tedious pack (due to it being the first). However, this is balanced by both the obscene amounts of Qite you can get (easily surpassing 10+ boxes with a friend, alongside the 2000 completion bonus) and the really, really awesome costume pieces.

Demonflame is tedious and slow, and gives next to no boxes. Run once then just buy the costume pieces you want at the Qite vendor.

Resistance is pretty fun, albeit super gimmicky. It probably has the least obtainable costume pieces, but gives an alright amount of boxes.

Aftershock is alright; the action figures you can get are cool and I really like the glowing hands skull piece.

Whiteout is, in my opinion, THE best pack/series; the story is fun, the voice acting is probably the least bad in the entirety of CO, there's plenty of cool alien and robot pieces, and it gives plenty of Qite! Definitely worth running atleast once.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
Decided to try out this again since I always kind of enjoyed it. Kind of wondering about all this vehicle stuff, is it worth picking one up off the cstore or whatever it's called now? Only asking because I still have some cash shop points left from when I used to play.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

kojicolnair posted:

Decided to try out this again since I always kind of enjoyed it. Kind of wondering about all this vehicle stuff, is it worth picking one up off the cstore or whatever it's called now? Only asking because I still have some cash shop points left from when I used to play.

Essentially, Vehicles are fancy, customizable 'Become <x>' devices. Don't expect something wholly game-changing. They're also limited to exterior zone maps and a few occasional in-mission outdoor maps.(I haven't found any of these yet but I think they exist?) As well as having their own special queueable assault mission.

Get one if you feel like you would want your dude to roll around in a tank or jet or hoverbike(are these out yet? these are coming and they look cooler than the other vehicles since your guy rides them). But they're not necessary and they don't really add significant content to the game yet.

This may change in the future if they add a bunch of vehicle-only content. But at the rate we've gotten new things to do, that seems unlikely.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Kelp Plankton posted:

Essentially, Vehicles are fancy, customizable 'Become <x>' devices. Don't expect something wholly game-changing. They're also limited to exterior zone maps and a few occasional in-mission outdoor maps.(I haven't found any of these yet but I think they exist?) As well as having their own special queueable assault mission.

Get one if you feel like you would want your dude to roll around in a tank or jet or hoverbike(are these out yet? these are coming and they look cooler than the other vehicles since your guy rides them). But they're not necessary and they don't really add significant content to the game yet.

This may change in the future if they add a bunch of vehicle-only content. But at the rate we've gotten new things to do, that seems unlikely.

Yea I don't really like the look of any of the current ones and apparently you can't really customize them or anything so I'll pass for now.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Bike's still haven't been released. I thought they were supposed to come out like 1-2 weeks back? Typical cryptic stuff.

Regardless, I'm pretty faithful that, when and if they add a bunch of vehicle content, there will most likely be access to temporary or weak vehicles for such missions. Seems the overall stance they're taking on the vehicles is that they're optional (despite the game still dropping like a million vehicle mods for everyone.)

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Bluhman posted:

Regardless, I'm pretty faithful that, when and if they add a bunch of vehicle content, there will most likely be access to temporary or weak vehicles for such missions.

The one vehicle mission we have currently gives you a temporary one to use, but it basically just gives you unsuppressed flight and leaves you using all your normal powers. Depending on your build and whether you have access to freeform or not, that may actually be a good thing.

Edit: And is it bad that I'm now hoping for a hover board vehicle like the power CoH had? Just make it the same where it gives you flight but you use your normal powers from on it. I always liked the look of that thing, but having it shut off all your powers sucked.

General Maximus fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 3, 2012

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

General Maximus posted:

The one vehicle mission we have currently gives you a temporary one to use, but it basically just gives you unsuppressed flight and leaves you using all your normal powers. Depending on your build and whether you have access to freeform or not, that may actually be a good thing.

Edit: And is it bad that I'm now hoping for a hover board vehicle like the power CoH had? Just make it the same where it gives you flight but you use your normal powers from on it. I always liked the look of that thing, but having it shut off all your powers sucked.

CO already has this basically. It's the Hover Disk flight power variant. It's not a board, but it's the same sort of thing. I think that's actually what you get granted temporarily during the vehicle mission. Less a quasi-vehicle and more just a flight gadget. Oh and you aren't locked out of combat powers while using it either.

It also has a flying carpet power(which it added before CoH made one) that you're not locked out from using powers while flying on. For all your stereotypical superarabian needs.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Bluhman posted:

Bike's still haven't been released. I thought they were supposed to come out like 1-2 weeks back? Typical cryptic stuff.

Regardless, I'm pretty faithful that, when and if they add a bunch of vehicle content, there will most likely be access to temporary or weak vehicles for such missions. Seems the overall stance they're taking on the vehicles is that they're optional (despite the game still dropping like a million vehicle mods for everyone.)

They had trouble rendering certain characters on the bikes from what the forums said. I think sometimes they were invisible, and I think they had issues where a character that's literally the size of a one story building would look ridiculous on the bike. So they're trying to sort them out before putting them live.

In other news, after putting it off for many, many, many, months I just did Whiteout today. Holy loving poo poo. Mission two was awesome. It was basically John Carpenter's "The Thing" if you added in superheroes and a race of murderous Venom symbiotes from Marvel.

I even got to torch a hideous monster from outer space (And the screams it made were actually rather unnerving. They were clearly taken from the film and made worse.) as I snuck through a building littered with shapeshifters. And I could still hear the loving thing screaming off in the distance from the entrance to the complex. :stonk:

My reward at the end was a jury-rigged flamethrower. The item description said that no one knew why the scientists had a flamethrower, it was just the sort of thing they'd make when they got bored. :black101:

I only wish the game let me reneact this scene from the original movie once the poo poo hit the fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w94rzEZHUcM

Edit: Also, it's been said, but the comic series (Except for Serpent Lantern.) are definitely worth picking up the game and playing through at least once.

Resistance is basically what'd happen if heroes got to gently caress around in City of Villain's game world. Aftershock is basically what happens when you get stuck in a Lovecraft story. Demonflame is basically a prequel to that. Whiteout is basically The Thing with superheroes, as mentioned.

Hell, even the Vibora Bay crisis is :black101: as gently caress. It's basically you fighting through the apocalypse in an amazingly stereotypical New Orleans style town filled to the brim with magic and monsters. It's a bit like if Batman got crossed with the Dresden Files.

It's a shame the game has a record of being "light", or silver age. Because now that I think about it, every single content update after the initial release of the game dropped the vanilla atmosphere in favor of being dark as all hell. Whiteout and Aftershock pretty much have you wading through oceans of blood/slain comrades that failed where you didn't to take down the bad guys. And Vibora Bay's crisis has to be seen to be believed.

It literally ends with the apocalypse touching off, the Champions murdered (and the Aquaman expy turned into a psychotic fish monster), the good guys losing, and heaven and hell meeting to destroy the Earth while the Dr. Doom expy shanks the main bad guy of the arc in the back to rule over the ashes of what's left.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 3, 2012

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Archonex posted:

I think they had issues where a character that's literally the size of a one story building would look ridiculous on the bike.
This doesn't sound like a bug to me.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Archonex posted:

And Vibora Bay's crisis has to be seen to be believed.

It literally ends with the apocalypse touching off, the Champions murdered (and the Aquaman expy turned into a psychotic fish monster), the good guys losing, and heaven and hell meeting to destroy the Earth while the Dr. Doom expy shanks the main bad guy of the arc in the back to rule over the ashes of what's left.

If you haven't done the Vibora Bay crisis yet, I highly recommend it, for the reasons described. The New Orleans style of the houses with little walled gardens makes a fantastic location for all the crazy poo poo spoilered-out above. It's best if you take it without interruption -- don't leave Vibora Bay so you don't lose any of the atmosphere.

Edit: Aw, dang. I got an account warning for costume violation. "The Thong" is no longer a blue-eyed, rocky idol of millions. :qq:

VVVV I'm pretty sure it was because he looked an awful lot like Ben Grimm, and less because of his buttocks covering. :)

prefect fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 4, 2012

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

prefect posted:

Edit: Aw, dang. I got an account warning for costume violation. "The Thong" is no longer a blue-eyed, rocky idol of millions. :qq:
Naked animal people with rape back-stories good. Drawing attention to your tiny undergarments bad.

Yup, this game will definitely feel like home after City.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Remake him with giant flip-flop sandals, scream discrimination.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
My issue with Whiteout was the second mission, actually. It's a perfectly good concept, but it becomes the most pointless mission in the pack by far once you realize two things:

1. The people who are really aliens never change, it's always the same people. A bit of randomization would have added a lot to that one.

2. It doesn't matter if you pick wrongly anyway, it makes absolutely no difference to anything.

And while I'm at it, Whiteout #3 is pretty crap too. I can always appreciate a chance to fight my Nemesis, but Whiteout #3 is a waste of time completely irrelevant to the story at hand. Yes, I'm sure Cyberlord is very scary, but right now we're fighting aliens that have taken over the entire military presence in the area, that takes priority over some cyborg with an airship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Kelp Plankton posted:

CO already has this basically. It's the Hover Disk flight power variant. It's not a board, but it's the same sort of thing. I think that's actually what you get granted temporarily during the vehicle mission. Less a quasi-vehicle and more just a flight gadget. Oh and you aren't locked out of combat powers while using it either.

I may have to look into that, but it'll never be the same as my giant flying surfboard even if I can use powers from on top of it.

quote:

2. It doesn't matter if you pick wrongly anyway, it makes absolutely no difference to anything.

You get a perk for getting them all correct but that's it.