Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The only problem is that it's generally directed at WADs that are basically Doom maps with more detail. Or an actual setting. The GZDoom WADs that make you say, "This is radical, it's like I'm not even playing Doom any more!" aren't particularly common.

Putrefier. Walk through it in -nomonsters mode and you'll feel like you're in Quake 2 or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is that a problem? Custom maps are all about diversity. I don't have a problem with them trying to mimic Quake 1, 2 or even making Quake 3 DM maps for Zandronum. There are literally thousands of custom maps that match 100% classic doom looks and is really cool that some people go out of the cave and make maps/mods with new features.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

What would you guys recommend as radical gameplay mods? Stuff like Russian Overkill and Brutal Doom counts for my purposes. I just want more crazy stuff people have done with Doom, especially stuff that works on the stock maps.
Satanic. It is a weapon/enemy replacement pack that makes Doom so much harder in unexpected ways. I highly recommend it. If you don't like the the noir greyscale effect, it can be easily removed by opening the pk3 as a zip file and taking out the noir.wad. I used to host a server that was so difficult it was nearly trolling: SSS Satanic Sunder Survival.

Similarly, psychic is another weapon pack that radically changes the gameplay.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 30, 2012

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

In my mind that's exactly what I'm doing when I install major gameplay mods for Doom.

Indeed, my favorite Doom mods are the ones that make major changes (Zen Dynamics, Action Doom 2).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cat Mattress posted:

Putrefier. Walk through it in -nomonsters mode and you'll feel like you're in Quake 2 or something.

Deus Vult. Play the entire thing with the map open and you'll feel like you're in a bullet-hell shooter or something.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I don't know about isometric but you know about DoomRL right?

imgsnip

Oh yeah! Haven't played this in a while. Thanks for reminding me!

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Genocyber posted:

Indeed, my favorite Doom mods are the ones that make major changes (Zen Dynamics, Action Doom 2).
I had to stop playing Action Doom 2 after the blatant homophobia when you visit the gay bar. It was fun up until then, but that just really killed it.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Stuntman posted:

I had to stop playing Action Doom 2 after the blatant homophobia when you visit the gay bar. It was fun up until then, but that just really killed it.

No, see, it's funny because THEY'RE FAGS! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! GET IT??

I was still able to play through and enjoy the rest of the game, but yeah, that whole segment just felt like something out of Family Guy. They were just trying way, way too hard to be funny by being offensive and... well, they only really accomplished one of those things, and it certainly didn't make me laugh. But hey, at least it wasn't Doomguy's Warzone.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Doomguy's Warzone is a good WAD that is totally not made by a crazy person who is also dangerously deluded.

Promise.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cat Mattress posted:

This poo poo is insane.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I forgot how addictive AEOD is :v:

What was that one Megaman X-looking game that didn't have Y axis mouselook? It might not have had mouselook at all. The art style was very distinctive.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

This poo poo is insane.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I forgot how addictive AEOD is :v:

What was that one Megaman X-looking game that didn't have Y axis mouselook? It might not have had mouselook at all. The art style was very distinctive.

That'd be Retroblazer: http://www.retroblazer.com/
Doesn't seem like there's been any updates though.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Cat Mattress posted:

Thanks for the tip on Putrefier, it is a cool place to shoot monsters!

Howwwwever I think I'm kind of stuck? I've been poking around for a while so I'm not 100% sure what the last switch I flipped was; it may have been this one (at the end of the hall, under the crosshair):

but more likely this one (again under the crosshair):

And after throwing the switch there was some screenprint about an area now being accessible. Where I'm standing in that second screenshot, behind and to the right there is a lift, but it just takes me to a catwalk outside that doesn't appear to have any other exits.

Edit: well ain't that always the way, finally figured it out after I gave up and posted.

Turns out THIS texture is a door!

Occupational hazard of using custom textures I guess.

Edit again:

Finished! Good looking map... some tasty geometry (a bit too busy in spots) and crisp textures, it really does look a lot like later id games.

I think it did suffer from a somewhat bad case of random-switch-itis. This map has an extensive sequence of switches to flip, and each one will expose a new switch or drop a wall in some unrelated section of the map. So it was basically flip a switch, then re-scour the map looking for something different; in the best case some new monsters will have spawned near the spot to draw your attention, but not always.

Additional screenies here, more stylish than the ones above:

JLaw fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 1, 2012

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Hell Revealed 2 can be a huge jerk of a wad, sometimes.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

ChickenHeart posted:

Hell Revealed 2 can be a huge jerk of a wad, sometimes.
Oh dear god that room. Seriously, the flashbacks. That is honestly one of the hardest rooms I've seen in a doom mod.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Hey you.

Have you ever played Brutal Doom, but found yourself saying, "You know what this needs? A lot more weapons, of middling quality, delivered to me in a randomization system reminiscent of Aeons of Death. Also, give me that rocket launcher from Shadow Warrior, and make the alt-fire dump like 20 drunken rockets into an area so it takes 15 seconds to reload."

Well you're in luck. The alpha for Brutal Doom Arsenal.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Hey you.

Have you ever played Brutal Doom, but found yourself saying, "You know what this needs? A lot more weapons, of middling quality, delivered to me in a randomization system reminiscent of Aeons of Death. Also, give me that rocket launcher from Shadow Warrior, and make the alt-fire dump like 20 drunken rockets into an area so it takes 15 seconds to reload."

Well you're in luck. The alpha for Brutal Doom Arsenal.

I think I lucked out on the very first level because the rocket launcher secret gave me one that, for some reason, had unlimited ammo with its alt-fire.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Middling quality and randomization are pretty much the best things to add to Doom.

edit: Has anyone made a gui for loading wads/pk3s in gzdoom? It's kind of a pain to click and drag the files onto gzdoom, and I like making shortcuts even less.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 2, 2012

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

edit: Has anyone made a gui for loading wads/pk3s in gzdoom? It's kind of a pain to click and drag the files onto gzdoom, and I like making shortcuts even less.

There's one in the OP.

Also, those.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I'm planning on checking out most of the Cacowards, but I'm having some trouble sifting through the initial Ten Years described by Doomworld:
http://www.doomworld.com/10years/bestwads/

Could anyone offer their opinions on which of these 'first ten years' WADs are really worth playing today?

They do a good job of describing the games on there, for sure, but it was also written almost ten years ago, and things may have changed since then.

Thanks! :)

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Fistful of Doom, hell yeah.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Chinook posted:

Could anyone offer their opinions on which of these 'first ten years' WADs are really worth playing today?

They do a good job of describing the games on there, for sure, but it was also written almost ten years ago, and things may have changed since then.

Depends on what you mean by 'worth playing', really. The source code wasn't released until 1997 so anything made before then is more or less limited to what can be accomplished with new graphics and minor exe hacking.

If you mean by looks/plays nice, people were already making good vanilla maps in 1994/1995.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Ayin posted:

Æons of Death :)

So yeah, speaking of radical gameplay mods, I just now watched the demo for speedrunning in Portal Mode (part of ÆoD):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tlGJ8-RRT8

I miss AEOD 5's character classes. :(

Are there any major mods for Heretic/Hexen that add new classes and enemies? Kinda like AEOD, just not as wacky.

JackMackerel fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 2, 2012

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

JackMackerel posted:

I miss AEOD 5's character classes. :(

Are there any major mods for Heretic/Hexen that add new classes and enemies? Kinda like AEOD, just not as wacky.

There's Confliction for Hexen, that adds a randomiser to Hexen as far as enemies (also no cybernetic stuff, in an attempt to keep things thematically accurate), and the guy did one for Heretic that adds classes and some randomization for enemies, but the classes are wildly unbalanced and there's less randomised enemies in the Heretic version (he liked the enemies in Heretic and didn't want to change it up too much, he said), and the Hexen version you have to actually play Hexen.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't feel Heretic and Hexen ever got enough love. I mean yeah, to some degree they're just Doom reskins but they're fun!

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Chinook posted:

From 1994 - Aliens TC, Slaughter Until Death and The Evil Unleashed are still very fun.
1995 - Fistful of Doom, Obituary, Nostromo's Run, and Artifact.
1996 - Pretty much everything from this year is great. At the very least, play the Memento Mori level sets, Icarus, Dystopia 3 and The Trooper's Playground.
1997 - STRAIN, Requiem, Eternal Doom, Dawn of the Dead, Hell Revealed. Caveats - Hell Revealed is stupid hard, of course, and Eternal Doom is a grand test of patience.
1998 - Phobos and the single levels from this year are all good but if you only try one thing out here, make it Cyberdreams. Hell, if you only try one thing from the entire 10 years.

Before anyone rushes in to defend the honor of stuff like the Serenity trilogy, these are the PWADs I feel will hold up the best to contemporary scrutiny.

Honorable mentions: Perdition's Gate (megawad), Hell to Pay (megawad), INVADE1 & INVADE2, Osiris.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

I don't feel Heretic and Hexen ever got enough love. I mean yeah, to some degree they're just Doom reskins but they're fun!

I like Hexen until you get to the second map and from there it's just aimless switch and key hunts all the way down. There are a few cool maps buried in there but they're in the minority. Also the limited weapon selection for each class always bummed me out. Maybe if I found a nice weapon mod I'd be more inclined to play it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

I've always thought Heretic was just Doom with less punchy weapons, unless you use the Tome of Power. Still, it's good fun, and the levels are generally better than the non-Romero levels of the first two Doom games. Hexen, on the other hand, was way too switch-hunty for me.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Man, watching that Retro Blazer alpha trailer somehow manages to nail the old-school boredom of square room after square room with the modern boredom of corridor after corridor. It doesn't give me much hope for a fast-paced FPS when the player's motion could be plotted on grid paper.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Aaronicon posted:

Man, watching that Retro Blazer alpha trailer somehow manages to nail the old-school boredom of square room after square room with the modern boredom of corridor after corridor. It doesn't give me much hope for a fast-paced FPS when the player's motion could be plotted on grid paper.

Play the alpha, it's actually pretty fun. It's like Wolf3D but super slick.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

kmxexii posted:

From 1994 - Aliens TC, Slaughter Until Death and The Evil Unleashed are still very fun.
1995 - Fistful of Doom, Obituary, Nostromo's Run, and Artifact.
1996 - Pretty much everything from this year is great. At the very least, play the Memento Mori level sets, Icarus, Dystopia 3 and The Trooper's Playground.
1997 - STRAIN, Requiem, Eternal Doom, Dawn of the Dead, Hell Revealed. Caveats - Hell Revealed is stupid hard, of course, and Eternal Doom is a grand test of patience.
1998 - Phobos and the single levels from this year are all good but if you only try one thing out here, make it Cyberdreams. Hell, if you only try one thing from the entire 10 years.

Before anyone rushes in to defend the honor of stuff like the Serenity trilogy, these are the PWADs I feel will hold up the best to contemporary scrutiny.

Honorable mentions: Perdition's Gate (megawad), Hell to Pay (megawad), INVADE1 & INVADE2, Osiris.

I'd add Nuke Mine and Cleimos (level name DEH patch).

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Play the alpha, it's actually pretty fun. It's like Wolf3D but super slick.

Just make sure you bind a key to dashing - I don't think it's set by default. Lets you zoom around Megaman X style.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I remember loving Heretic back in the day (especially E1M5, if that's the open-area one with the river and two buildings :swoon:) but never played Hexen. What was the point of it, wasn't it just the same thing?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I remember loving Heretic back in the day (especially E1M5, if that's the open-area one with the river and two buildings :swoon:) but never played Hexen. What was the point of it, wasn't it just the same thing?

Hexen is a pretty big departure from normal Doom-like formula. Big hub-world levels, only four weapons per character, a greater focus on melee combat an inventory use.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ah ok, gotcha. I just did a little bit of research, didn't realise that it was the sequel to Heretic, thought it was released the same time.

Wait, what's Heretic II then?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Someone correct me if i say something stupid but Hexen is a sequel to Heretic as is set in the same universe. But I'll use spoiler tag just in case:

When you beat Heretic you basically stop the infestation and steal a portal, going to a journey without end. In Hexen I and II you have to kill the other Serpent Riders. Heretic II has Corvus returning from said journey finding that everyone is infected with a disease that if it doesn't kill you, makes you mad. Corvus gets infected and starts looking for the responsible.

Heretic and Hexen I were based on Doom engine, Hexen II on Quake1's and Heretic 2 is a third person shooter built on Q2's engine. I loved the poo poo out of Heretic 2 and MP was surprisingly good. My retail CD got hosed up years ago and could find a cheap one for like 2€ on 2010 wich made me really happy.

Edit:
I'm kinda confused about GZDoom releases. I can get v1.6 from here:
http://www.osnanet.de/c.oelckers/gzdoom/download/gzdoom-bin-1-6-00.zip

But the SVN builds are more recent:
http://svn.drdteam.org/gzdoom/

:confused:

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 2, 2012

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Guillermus posted:

But the SVN builds are more recent:
http://svn.drdteam.org/gzdoom/

Always go for the latest SVN. It's pretty rare for them to introduce bugs and incompatibilities.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thanks for the recommendations on those 'first ten years' WADs. I look forward to checking them out.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Oh yeah, the next Cacowards should be popping up on the 10th, to celebrate Doom's 19th birthday. (Feel old yet?) Should be a lot of great WADs and mods to check out if you haven't paid attention for the last year!

EDIT: The Unreal series is 66% off on Steam for another 27 hours or so to celebrate the 13th birthday of Unreal Tournament.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 2, 2012

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ah ok, gotcha. I just did a little bit of research, didn't realise that it was the sequel to Heretic, thought it was released the same time.

Wait, what's Heretic II then?

The original plan was to have an H-title for each of the three Serpent Rider. Heretic with D'Sparil, Hexen with Korax, and finally Hecatomb with Eidolon.

They ditched the plan for Hecatomb and instead turned it into Hexen II.

Heretic II is the sequel to Corvus' adventures rather than the sequel to the fight against the Serpent Riders. Hexen takes place in a different dimension from Heretic (and a thousand years later, as far as timelines across dimensions mean anything), and the heroes are different characters too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I played through Putrefier last night. It was great, I really enjoyed it. I was kinda sad when it ended, though. It felt like a really well made map.