Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
gently caress it, I'm probably in. Don't expect me to be any good though! PSN is eShad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Mr. Fun posted:

I keep forgetting about Thorsday, and Marvel in general. I'll try to remember tonight.

How? It has the catchy slogan of "Every Thursday Never Thor's Daytm"

New Page

Ybrik posted:

Tonight :cmon:

Thursday November 29th 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

:spidey:PS3:spidey:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/y4aqmayjr7

:itjb:xbox:itjb:
Available upon request lol

Hopefully everyone had a pleasant thanksgiving, but if not its time to take that aggression out on goons.

Ybrik fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 29, 2012

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Ybrik posted:

How? It has the catchy slogan of "Every Thursday Never Thor's Daytm"

Never? But Thor needs some love. :(

I may not be able to make it tonight. Turns out I fibbed a little when I said I was done with my class; tonight's the final.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Do they go away if he gets hit?

I am not sure, I never hit him since he's so god drat tiny. I can tell you one thing though, he totally shut down my ability to call drones. Didn't play the guy enough to figure out how to shut down the coon other than just supering him.

I am probably going to skip tonight.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

Never? But Thor needs some love. :(

I may not be able to make it tonight. Turns out I fibbed a little when I said I was done with my class; tonight's the final.

Actually Thor won when Sputnik and I did a Thor battle back in psm20.

Also Dren I promise not to use Raccoon I've been distracted by a currently shinier character. I think I have Fighting Game ADD.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005
I'm probably going to miss out, since I probably won't be home until after 7ish PST today. (although you should push it back an hour every week anyway :colbert:)

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes
the one week i can make it on time! that might be a good idea though. or at least 6:30? i dunno

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

I hate both of you for even pretending that this has ever started at 6.

Johnny Lunchbox
Nov 26, 2004
We're in deep drek now, chummer.
Signed up, I'm sure that playing after a long absence from the game should go well! PSN is: pkmn84

Johnny Lunchbox fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 30, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Signed up for the psn tourney. Arthur is gonna DAGGA DAT!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Hey somebody make a big post for me with all I need to know about playing haggar on anchor, just now learning him. I don't know anything other than lariat assist and pipe, I just started relearning this game.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Hey somebody make a big post for me with all I need to know about playing haggar on anchor, just now learning him. I don't know anything other than lariat assist and pipe, I just started relearning this game.

Why do you want him on anchor?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

He is definitely better first or second IMHO. Anchor seems like the worst possible option, with my limited knowledge.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Jmcrofts posted:

Why do you want him on anchor?

Dunno I haven't played this game in forever, plus I have wolverine point. Right now the order I was using today was Wolvie/sent/haggar. Haggar lets me extend Wolverine combos and I can do the double super combo with wolverine using the haggar assist. Thought about using Akuma instead because it's obvious but I had fun with Haggar earlier.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dunno I haven't played this game in forever, plus I have wolverine point. Right now the order I was using today was Wolvie/sent/haggar. Haggar lets me extend Wolverine combos and I can do the double super combo with wolverine using the haggar assist. Thought about using Akuma instead because it's obvious but I had fun with Haggar earlier.

Haggar in the middle is always good, and he loves drones assist (it's not his FAVORITE but c'mon, it's drones). Maybe try that?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Countblanc posted:

Haggar in the middle is always good, and he loves drones assist (it's not his FAVORITE but c'mon, it's drones). Maybe try that?

I will try that. Still need some haggar tech and combos though!

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Results :drat:

http://challonge.com/psmgoons25
First Place: Acute Hepatitis Hag:argh:/Spencer/Doctor Doom
Second Place Ybrik Spider-Man/Taskmaster/Super-Skrull/ Rocket Raccoon
Third Place: GoodCleanFun Crimson Viper/Dante/Strider

A very good and very loooong week. New blood which is always a good trend and some interesting characters in the mix.

(STREAM GOES HERE) Thank you once again b0lt

Next Week Thursday December 6th 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/esicj5s8mp

:itjb:xbox:itjb:
Available upon request lol

Ybrik fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 30, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Anyone have any good tips on doing Doom's midscreen combos? I can do the Buktooth loop fairly well but they always seem to drop out after the second rep. I tried going into training mode and doing the other midscreen combo (where you do two j.M's really spaced out and then dash down and over) but I can never seem to get over to the person's body in time to pick them back up.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Sent/Haggar: Sent gets to jump, fly, and call Haggar offscreen for a mixup. Sent gets a get off me assist. These are both great things for Sent.
Haggar/Sent: Haggar gets drones which are maybe not the best assist for him. He doesn't really have a high/low game or a left/right game that would allow him to capitalize off of drones. Best he can really do is command throw people who get caught ducking under drones.

I vote Sent/Haggar.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Anyone have any good tips on doing Doom's midscreen combos? I can do the Buktooth loop fairly well but they always seem to drop out after the second rep. I tried going into training mode and doing the other midscreen combo (where you do two j.M's really spaced out and then dash down and over) but I can never seem to get over to the person's body in time to pick them back up.

Doing two Buktooth loops can be tough and even impossible if confirming off air-to-air. You absolutely have to keep them as low to the ground as possible which means both hitting the first sj.m as soon as possible and delaying your addf.m as late as possible. You can omit the cr.m on the ground if the opponent is low enough already, just go straight into the cr.h

Everyone usually goes for at most 1 buktooth into the double footdives. The trick to the double footdive is making sure you're cancelling your addf into a j.m or j.l quickly (as of late I've started using l over m but I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes). Getting your triangle jump motion as short as possible is also crucial.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Haggar gets a huge boost in damage and meter by being able to extend his combos with assists. Two "assist call, drop kick, pipe, hooligan" relaunches in one combo will get you a touch of death even off of air throws on most characters. Lariat assist is great, but in my opinion Haggar with only one assist behind him is half the character he could be.

- He needs horizontal coverage to help him get in, Plasma Beam works great here.
- Pipe is the foundation of your whole gameplan, once you've asserted your dominance with it you have crouching light to catch them trying to jump and command throw when they freeze up. The low/throw mixup is especially effective after they block an assist.
- Lariat is your other primary tool, it shuts down a huge number of your opponents offensive options. Cancel into the, also invincible, punches hyper to catch attempted punishes.
- When you use lariat as an anti-air you can drop kick them into an assist to combo; otherwise use the punches hyper, you want to punch them in the feet and DON'T mash so you can launch afterward.
- On incoming characters light violent axe is a pretty wicked cross-up and it's safe if they're high enough in the air when they block it, combo out of it with L, M, light hooligan. Flyers like to airdash out of this mixup, just jump at the last second and swat them with pipe; similarly jump up and command throw against double jumpers.
- If your opponent is right up in your face at the start of the round try an instant air headbutt. Use up-forward to option select a throw and use a delayed chain to air S for a combo and potential cross-up on block.
- Drop kick, kara pipe, team super is usually your best combo ender but you can do for good damange off of one bar with assist call, drop kick, pipe, punches hyper (mash like hell for that red aura!). If you don't kill them they flip out before the last hit and can punish you :buddy:.

Fenn the Fool! fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 2, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-LJPQ2EQRc

How does this combo even work? I would hang my head in shame if I ever got styled on this hard.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

How does this combo even work? I would hang my head in shame if I ever got styled on this hard.

Isn't this just a variation of the old Tenderizer Infinite https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpCRPzFj450?

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Hard knockdowns. Skrull's air tenderizer is a hard knockdown on all hits but the last if I recall correctly. He also tends to drift downwards just slightly during it. The idea is that air to ground will cancel tenderizer before last hit, and the sweep kick has so much hit stun that you can just loop it forever.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCmw72PDdWY

Looks like Morrigan has a legit infinite now.

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Theory Chrisis at work.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
I wiped my stats a week ago and I've been trying to go in hard and level up. I dream of being at least a 2nd Lord one day and I decided that my 100 games under .500 record wasn't cutting it. So far I'm at like 190-150 and I just dropped from mid-level 6th Lord to 6th Scout. Mind you, I probably went a measly 5-10 as a 6th Lord before losing Lord status.

I run Wolverine(all his assists suck)/Deadpool(OTG)/Sentinel(drones). XBL: Joey Aces. I need to get better and I'd like to hear some feedback from better players.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I found an awesome/stupid combo for my team so I thought I'd share:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34yVNx7I46M

Boobs is Fun!
Jun 25, 2005

KaneBlueRiver
The Chilean Sensation
#1 Hulk/Haggar in the World
After you do the THC, when you knock down with pipe - You could probably do THC->pipe x lariat and Do the punches super for a kill with one less bar/a different variation of the combo. Or at least lariat->punches instead. Punches to bracelet should probably do more damage.

edit: It should be noted I'd prefer to get lariat into combos as much as some people try to squeeze in dropkicks or pipes, you could totally get like 4 in there.

Boobs is Fun! fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 4, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Boobs is Fun! posted:

After you do the THC, when you knock down with pipe - You could probably do THC->pipe x lariat and Do the punches super for a kill with one less bar/a different variation of the combo. Or at least lariat->punches instead. Punches to bracelet should probably do more damage.

edit: It should be noted I'd prefer to get lariat into combos as much as some people try to squeeze in dropkicks or pipes, you could totally get like 4 in there.

I can't get ground pipe xx lariat to work after the THC, I think they're too low so they hit the ground too fast. I tried it with lariat into punches super after the THC and it nets me a decent amount less damage since a few hits of punches miss, and the last few hits of goddess bracelet miss as well.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Jmcrofts posted:

I found an awesome/stupid combo for my team so I thought I'd share:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34yVNx7I46M

I had to go fiddle around with this for my team, the more I play Haggar the more I'm convinced that the simple stuff does the most damage. With Haggar/Dante/Doom easy "hooligan, air combo, wild swing" loops get you 1.77m; starting with the highly impractical, but incredibly stylish, super jump across the screen, air H, land, jump, headbutt, pause, air S, land, M, light hooligan you break 1.8m. Dante's bonkers THC probably helps a bit here but I can't see the more complicated stuff netting more damage.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
My friends have started playing this game again, so I decided to start as well. I wanted to change my team up, but couldn't decide which setup was better.

1) Vergil/Morrigan/Doom

I like Vergil on point with the Morrigan battery, and if he goes down I still have Morri/Doom to back things up. Doom would be using Plasma Beam assist, which is solid, but I'm not sure if Morrigan can really take advantage of it. There's no OTG assist for combo extension, but I don't think that's a serious issue.

2) Morrigan/Doom/Vergil

This is what my friend recommended to me (who has a lot more experience). Similar team except Vergil is on anchor. Apparently Vergil with XFC/meter is even more stupid then Doom with XFC/meter. Doom would have hidden missiles in this team, but I'm just learning Vergil now, so he definitely would not be doing anything super flashy.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
If you got MoriDoom just use Missile assist and THROW FIREBALLS ALL DAY.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lord Chumley posted:

If you got MoriDoom just use Missile assist and THROW FIREBALLS ALL DAY.

This. If you have morrigan and doom on the same team there's no reason to not use missiles. I also agree with your friend that Vergil should not be on point, but it's up to you whether he or Doom are last.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Morrigan/Vergil/Doom is what Chris G is playing, and Viscant thinks it's the best team in the game right now. Having Vergil second gives you a good DHC whether you're just trying to get Morrigan out or trying to kill a character (Viscant says random fireball juggles into combo, OTG uppercut super DHC swords into loop = at least 1.05m damage).

Also, I'd rather have Vergil with missiles than Doom with Vergil's assist (the one where he charges across the screen. Rapid Slash?).

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Also Vergil counters a lot of the characters that can counter Morrigan (Dorm, MODOK, Hawkeye)

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

That reminds me a of those old infinites Skrull and Hulk may or may not still have, can't remember. Makes me wonder if all characters with a Soft Knockdown move in the air and a move that ignores hitstun have an infinite.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Well I guess I'll go with the FOTM and run Morri/Vergil/Doom.

I never had to play a char with charge moves in their combos so Vergil will be interesting. Although I suppose I could learn his combos without round trip, but tossing that in just adds a ton of damage and extension.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

OGS-Remix posted:

Although I suppose I could learn his combos without round trip

No, you can't.

Besides, without RT he's not the Virgil we all know and... love?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

OGS-Remix posted:

Well I guess I'll go with the FOTM and run Morri/Vergil/Doom.

I never had to play a char with charge moves in their combos so Vergil will be interesting. Although I suppose I could learn his combos without round trip, but tossing that in just adds a ton of damage and extension.

I'm not the best vergil or anything but I found just as a rule holding down L any time you start a combo is a good way to get used to it, also doing supers with L+M and holding L after that. I generally go straight from lm cr.h stinger -> teleport to start my swords loops, although you may find it easier to do the lmh stinger dp.l teleport.h jump mhs to start yours, you hold down the L on the dp.L then either go straight into swords or do dp.m into it and you end up with a round trip for keeping it going with plenty of time to spare.

Also always charge after doing the qcf super as a finisher because letting it go any time after the super finishes then doing teleport.m and dash under them + possibly dashing back after that mixup that feels so godlike to do.

• Locked thread