Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
My understanding is that the earlier kids get help for any sort of issue, the better. The early years are really really pivotal in speech, as with any developmental issues. You're going to find some kids that improve with no help needed and some that don't, but I think the important thing is to take those stories with a grain of salt, go to the evaluation and hear what they have to say, and then bring the cost issue up with them. Without going, you don't know what their advice will be--it might be for you to do speech exercises at home with him and then come in for monthly evaluations to see how he's progressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Slo-Tek posted:

So, speaking of son little. While his concepts and vocabulary are consistently excellent, at age 5, he cannot distinguish between Wizard and Lizard, and a lot of his vocabulary is as a result of having to find words that people can distinguish when common ones aren't getting across. We got the "You really really want to spend 100$ for an evaluation of your weird-talking kid" letter from school.

Anybody got themselves speech-pathologized either as a parent or as a kid who can speak on the subject? I keep meeting kids who have been in therapy for their speech defects for years without much improvement. My suspicion is that it will get better with or without another appointment to keep and bill to pay. And if the results I've seen are any indication, the professionals don't help much.

But that may be poorly founded, or misunderstood.

So, anybody get their weird-talking kid fixed? Anybody leave their weird-talking kid alone and have them get better anyway before graduate school?

Both of my aunt's kids had speech problems (not delays though). The older one had a more severe problem, but she didn't get any sort of speech therapy. The younger one had a very mild problem and did get speech therapy. Both of them talk just fine now and you wouldn't guess that either one previously had speech problems.

I think the biggest difference though is that the older one struggled with it for a very long time and consequently got made fun of by other kids. So it might be worth it to save your kid the social problems that it can cause.

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!
Regarding music for kids: http://minnesota.publicradio.org/radio/services/wonderground/

This is what we listen to most of the time at home. It's excellent for kids and parents.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

AlistairCookie posted:

The kids listen to whatever we listen to. One day, lyrically, this will bite us in the rear end, but for now, it's fine. Liam is taking a shine to musicals (Wicked in particular right now) and Tim likes all sorts of mostly harder fare; NIN, TOOL, APC. Nothing beats hearing a 4 year old mangle lyrics to old Korn songs. ;) As for actual kid's stuff, The Fresh Beat band will get Liam dancing, and is mostly ignorable pop pablum. During quiet times, they will both settle down to Jethro Tull (think Songs From the Wood, not Aqualung or Stormwatch.)

Yeah I have satellite radio and I listen to Alt Nation which isn't too heavy but they don't filter the swears, so when he gets better at picking up words I'll have to switch. =/

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Lyz posted:

Yeah I have satellite radio and I listen to Alt Nation which isn't too heavy but they don't filter the swears, so when he gets better at picking up words I'll have to switch. =/

No way just teach your kid to scream 'BAD WORD' whenever a curse word shows up.

Its hilarious...

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Slo-Tek posted:

So, anybody get their weird-talking kid fixed? Anybody leave their weird-talking kid alone and have them get better anyway before graduate school?

I was the left alone weird-talking kid, and now I still have a stutter and a speech sound disorder that will likely never get any better, and are very noticeable at times.

My son has been in speech therapy on and off since he was 3, and has improved in leaps and bounds over the last five years. He's nowhere near perfect, but he's coming from being entirely non-verbal. He's just recently gotten diagnosed with an actual speech impediment, but they've been working on the same general ideas since he started talking. It's been slow, but the improvements while he's made while seeing a therapist are noticeable, and slowed down to almost nothing in the time periods where he was not receiving therapy.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I was the left alone weird-talking kid, and now I still have a stutter and a speech sound disorder that will likely never get any better, and are very noticeable at times.

My son has been in speech therapy on and off since he was 3, and has improved in leaps and bounds over the last five years. He's nowhere near perfect, but he's coming from being entirely non-verbal. He's just recently gotten diagnosed with an actual speech impediment, but they've been working on the same general ideas since he started talking. It's been slow, but the improvements while he's made while seeing a therapist are noticeable, and slowed down to almost nothing in the time periods where he was not receiving therapy.

Exactly the perspective I was looking for. Thanks very much. Especially the progress/no progress with and without therapy.

Hope we end up with some quick progress, because Kindergarten is going to be a bear otherwise.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I was a weird talking kid. My mom had to fight the school to put me in the school-sponsored speech classes in kindergarten. I speak very well now, it really helped a lot. I evidently had a lot of trouble with letter switches, like L's and W's and R's, and a few other things I'd have to ask my mom about. I still have what is technically a stutter, but it's a hold on the sound of a word (the "N" sound of "not" for example), not the classic stutter. It only happens when I am very tired, or around a friend who has the exact same thing only much worse.

Also RE kid's music, I was in the kitchen cooking and my 1 year old figured out how to turn on the music player on my phone. I caught her dancing to Slipknot and Static-X songs. We're screwed. :downs:

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Both my kids ended up in speech therapy, my youngest is still in the program. In our state all the evaluations/sessions are done through the schools for kids over 3 as part of the exceptional education program. I never had to pay anything for an evaluation or for therapy, although they did make me jump through some godawful hoops with my youngest in order to get her in before kindergarten.

My oldest had mixed results, but I don't think it's because of any actual impairment, she just talks way too drat fast and slurs everything together. Which for me with hearing that's been through too many teenage concerts is sometimes an issue. If I ask her to slow down I don't have any issues understanding her. When she was younger she was a little behind in speech mainly because she had so many ear infections that impacted her hearing. Ear tubes and speech therapy sorted her out (for the most part).

My youngest we noticed early on was having issues with certain sounds. At her 3-year checkup the pediatrician told us it was because she was tongue-tied, and sent us to an ENT. The ENT was reluctant to snip it because of her age, and recommended we try speech therapy to help her work around it. That was when we started the long process to get her into the county program, which took almost a year. She's shown noticeable improvement since then, and now it's only the Th- sounds that seem to still give her trouble.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Marchegiana posted:

My youngest we noticed early on was having issues with certain sounds. At her 3-year checkup the pediatrician told us it was because she was tongue-tied, and sent us to an ENT. The ENT was reluctant to snip it because of her age, and recommended we try speech therapy to help her work around it. That was when we started the long process to get her into the county program, which took almost a year. She's shown noticeable improvement since then, and now it's only the Th- sounds that seem to still give her trouble.

The voiced and voiceless dental fricatives are considered some of the hardest sounds for kids to learn to produce, and are often some of the last phonemes learned.

That's actually one of the sounds I have problems with, and it's generally replaced by a d, f, or hard t, depending on position and the sound of the word. My son has the same issue (amongst several others).

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Marchegiana posted:

I can make sounds like Th- from that but I cannot distinguish between the Ff sound and the Th- like Father, I pronounce it fa-fer. Mostly people don't notice, when they ask me to repeat myself I just go through the tongue motions to make the noise.

Literally cannot tell the difference between the two. No one picked up on it until I was 15. Every now and again someone notices.

randomfuss
Dec 30, 2006

Fionnoula posted:

Yeah, I know a couple of women who found the manual more useful than their electric pumps. I didn't have much success with manual and the one I had is now off the market, so I have no recommendation.

I was starting to think I am a freak. I get 30% more milk in 30% less time with a manual than a double electric I have an Avent manual one.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
My middle son had terrible speech problems when he was young. He would run words together and miss out the beginning/middle or end and some sounds he just wouldn't make at all. He started speech therapy when he was in nursery at about 3 snd a half until he was 6 but by the time he started school at 5 he was still pretty hard to understand and I worried that he would be left out a bit because of it. Within a year of being at school he was speaking at the same level as all the other kids - I don't know if it was the speech therapy or being submerged in the school environment that helped the most but now he's ten you wouldn't know he'd ever had a problem.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

randomfuss posted:

I was starting to think I am a freak. I get 30% more milk in 30% less time with a manual than a double electric I have an Avent manual one.

Same thing for my partner. She uses an Avent manual as well.

Drives me crazy because I paid so much for the electric one...

robotastronaut
Aug 6, 2012

So, my boy, who is about 13 months old, has entered the attached-to-mommy phase. This is a tricky situation because I'm a work-from-home grad student and I have him home with me half of the week. When my wife leaves in the morning, the guy is absolutely broken hearted, and it takes a ton of effort to calm him. It's even to the point where I can't pick him up at all when she's at home or he goes nuts. Is there any way to mitigate this or do I just have to wait it out for the next few months?

Also, regarding music: my boy absolutely loves music. I've always been able to calm him down by playing guitar for him, and his third (or so) word was "guitar." I'd like to echo the others in here that have said that kids' music doesn't have to suck. I can't even remember listening to specifically-for-kids music ever in my life, thanks to my decently cool parents. I'm trying to let my kid listen to stuff I'd listen to, with a few caveats. I don't play him anything too aggressive, because he's noticeably less calm when I do, and I try to play stuff that has clear vocals (even if they're heavily accented or foreign) and some kind of clear instrumentation. He's even developed some favorites -- much to his mother's displeasure, the dude loves early reggae. So, don't force your kids to listen to poo poo music. If you want your kid to develop a true appreciation for music, he (or she) needs to see you appreciating the music you're both listening to.

Slip Slap
Jun 30, 2011

Delicious
My son has baby eczema pretty bad now. He's 3 months, was 4 weeks premature. He spends the majority of his time trying to rub his skin on the sheets and it is heartbreaking to see him so uncomfy.

Right now, I'm wetting his skin a bit with a washcloth and slathering Aveeno baby eczema cream on him every time he eats. Seems to help clear it up but it just keeps coming back every 5 days or so. We cut out fabric softener and use the Purex free and clear detergent; everything gets rinsed twice. I breastfeed but I don't really think it's food related as he's had extremely sensitive skin since the day he was born.

Anyone gone through this and have tips? He's sleeping so poorly now due to being so itchy and it's really taking its toll on us.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Maybe try mixing a bit of 1% hydro-cortisone cream with the lotion.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Eczema sucks, poor buddy. My son had a bad breakout when he was a little under a year. The dermatologist prescribed a cortisone cream that we used for a couple of weeks and it helped a lot. We've been able to keep it under control since then with regular moisturizer, not too frequent or hot baths and oil in the bathwater.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Ugh, poor guy. My daughter has had spells of eczema, and like the folks above have said, cortisone was the main treatment to make her more comfortable. Her doctor prescribed a stronger cortisone ointment than you can get OTC. And you probably know this, but keep an eye out for infections too, especially once he gets old enough to be scratching the itchy places.

Knock on wood, my daughter's eczema seems to be clearing up now that she's three and a half. Hopefully your son's will too!

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Anyone have any good recommendations for a good, safe baby jungle gym? Chris is driving me nuts climbing over everything - couches, coffee table, his activity table. He's only thirteen months old! I need something a bit safer to satisfy his insatiable need to go upwards, especially since he doesn't really pay attention to how close to the edge he plunks his butt down.

Bonus if it has a slide, he's also obsessed with slides.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Lyz posted:

Anyone have any good recommendations for a good, safe baby jungle gym? Chris is driving me nuts climbing over everything - couches, coffee table, his activity table. He's only thirteen months old! I need something a bit safer to satisfy his insatiable need to go upwards, especially since he doesn't really pay attention to how close to the edge he plunks his butt down.

It really depends on how much space you have and if it's indoor/outdoor you're looking for. I like this one, but this one is a little smaller and they both have little slides. They're both a bit pricey (to me), and if you want to get a bigger one they start to get insanely expensive. I trawled Craigslist for 'climber' for about 6 weeks (they were usually gone within an hour or two) and ended up getting the Step 2 Treehouse for $40 and a bigger one that normally went for $750 for $200. Any of the climbers from Step 2 or Fisher Price or Little Tikes that have little stairs and a little slide should be fine. We have wood floors so there was some pain involved, but she really really loved them at that age.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Ariza posted:

It really depends on how much space you have and if it's indoor/outdoor you're looking for. I like this one, but this one is a little smaller and they both have little slides. They're both a bit pricey (to me), and if you want to get a bigger one they start to get insanely expensive. I trawled Craigslist for 'climber' for about 6 weeks (they were usually gone within an hour or two) and ended up getting the Step 2 Treehouse for $40 and a bigger one that normally went for $750 for $200. Any of the climbers from Step 2 or Fisher Price or Little Tikes that have little stairs and a little slide should be fine. We have wood floors so there was some pain involved, but she really really loved them at that age.

We have a whole room downstairs we're not doing anything with (yet, someday it'll be my library), both of those look pretty sweet. He's already fallen off the couch a couple of times so if this ends up more interesting to him it'd be well worth the money!

He's also obsessed with the inside of the fridge and this morning was trying to climb the shelves like a ladder. I wish he'd devote that much effort to learning to walk. -_-

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Lyz posted:

If he's anything like my kid once he realizes he's allowed to climb on something he will lose interest and move on to bigger (and more dangerous) things.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
I'm going a bit nuts here so maybe someone can help me out. As I type this our 19-month-old son Andrew is screaming like he's being murdered in the background.

A little background: I'm Canadian, 30. My wife is Chinese, 35. We have a maid (common in Hong Kong) who looks after the house and our son while we're at work. She's 34.

Over the past few weeks, Andrew has become more and more attached to the maid. At my wife's insistence, he still gets a bottle of milk formula each night from her, and my routine (bath, bedtime story, sing to sleep) has been totally co-opted to bath only, as Andrew now insists on doing things with our maid only. In the middle of the night, if Andrew gets upset, I would go and see what was the matter, but as this drives him even further in our maid's arms, my wife has told me to not get out of bed, so I have to lie there and listen to him scream.

Our maid is wonderful and we couldn't run the house without her. I feel very bad for her because she (and my wife and I) haven't gotten a full night of sleep in a year and a half. Right now my wife is out with her friends at a Sting concert, so I'm looking after 2 babies, mine and theirs. Andrew's constant screaming is upsetting the younger baby, who is already scared enough at sleeping in an unfamiliar house with unfamiliar people.

I'm using the "What to Expect" series of books, and previously tried to use the 5-minute, 10-minute, 15-minute etc "leave him be" method to get him to sleep in an orderly fashion, but my wife refuses to give me any support as it's a "Western" way of doing things. I feel that constantly running into his room at the slightest cry is only making the problem worse, and as he already spends the whole day with the maid limiting our interaction with him is only going to drive him further away from our arms.

I try to get home from work as early as possible (usually around 6:30) so I can take Andrew to the park for a bit before his mom comes home. After meeting her at the train station we go back to our flat, where the maid and I proceed to play with Andrew until supper time. From the minute we get home until lights-out, my wife is either on Chinese Facebook (Weibo) or watching Chinese dramas on her iPad. She currently says that since she's 8 months pregnant that she can't play with him, but she's been doing that kind of thing before she got pregnant the second time. If I try to tell her this she immediately jumps down my throat and asks why I'm accusing her of being an awful mother.

Sigh. Sorry for the disorganisation. Andrew is crying again and it's the 10-minute interval, so I went to check on him to tell him everything is fine and he immediately jumped out of bed and ran to the door to find a way out to get to our maid. He sounds so pitiful and I feel horrible and guilty. Can anyone offer some advice on what to do with him, first and foremost?

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
Space from the maid.

After you get home from work and take over with Andrew, can the maid go home? Does she have to live with you? Can she go out at least, or go to her part of the flat, out of sight? Something? It sounds like he has bonded really exceptionally to her, which isn't inherently a bad thing, but it seems like it's to the exclusion of Mom and Dad, which isn't a good thing. I would first work on loosening the bond with maid just a bit, so that his bond with you and Mom can strengthen. When you're not at work, you're the caregiver (you and Mom). It may take some tears from Andrew, but he knows and loves you and will quickly shift the strength of his bond. But this requires consistency from you and Mom, which leads to...

...It sounds like you and your wife are not on the same parenting page. I don't know what is cultural or not (I'm American) from a Chinese perspective, but irrespective of that, you are not together and that will only be a bigger and bigger problem--especially with Number Two quickly on the way. Is your wife okay with having the maid take over the care and raising of your kids? It sounds like that to me from your post--I don't say that with any judgement, just observation. Since she comes home from work and watches TV and sits on FB and tells you to let the maid take care of Andrew when he's crying. Are YOU okay with that? Sounds like not.

You are in a tough situation, but it seems to me you and your wife have a lot of serious talking you have to do, for you and your kids' sakes. I'm sorry. :(

As far as the sleep issues go, there are a number of ways to work through it, but again, without a consistent approach from all caregivers involved, nothing will change. All approaches take consistency and time.

Edit: Follow your gut when he's upset. Your instinct is to go to your toddler, go to him. Hug him while he cries. Hold him. Even if he doesn't calm down for a while. Just hold him.

AlistairCookie fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 2, 2012

Shonagon
Mar 27, 2005

It is impervious to reason or pleading, it knows no mercy or patience.

Slip Slap posted:

My son has baby eczema pretty bad now. He's 3 months, was 4 weeks premature. He spends the majority of his time trying to rub his skin on the sheets and it is heartbreaking to see him so uncomfy.

Right now, I'm wetting his skin a bit with a washcloth and slathering Aveeno baby eczema cream on him every time he eats. Seems to help clear it up but it just keeps coming back every 5 days or so. We cut out fabric softener and use the Purex free and clear detergent; everything gets rinsed twice. I breastfeed but I don't really think it's food related as he's had extremely sensitive skin since the day he was born.

Anyone gone through this and have tips? He's sleeping so poorly now due to being so itchy and it's really taking its toll on us.

My son had dreadful eczema. It's a nightmare. You have my sympathy.

If you're able to take him to a paediatric dermatologist it's a really good idea. Ours was a god among men and changed our lives, whereas the GP knew gently caress all.

Baths with Oilatum or similar emollient to avoid drying his skin out. What made the difference for us was, under orders, bathing twice a day with Oilatum in the water, using a clean boiled washcloth every time, washing him with aqueous cream which was spooned out of the jar so it was always completely clean. Basically ensuring his skin was scrupulously clean. This regime reduced my son's eczema by about 70% even without steroids - his eczema was due to hypersensitive skin, YMMV.

Hydrocortisone is great but our dermatologist basically said 1% does no good and that he either used no steroids or strong steroids - one high dose that works is better than continually applying low doses that don't. I am not a doctor and that was his advice re my son specifically, but the guy was a consultant paediatric dermatologist at Great Ormond St Hospital. It might be worth talking to your doctor about short doses of stronger steroids and getting them to look up the literature.

Make sure he's cool at night, don't use the baby sleeping bags.

And - my regular eczema public service announcement - FFS watch out for chicken pox. It attacks damaged skin, ie eczema skin, so the chicken pox will be bad in itself and can also get infected very easily. My son got chicken pox aged six months, was dismissed by the GP, ended up on an antibiotic drip for two days with a massive skin infection, and is still badly scarred. If your son gets chicken pox, watch for any sign of infection like red skin round the pocks and get him to a doctor who isn't an idiot.

Good luck, it's a horrible thing to cope with. Hope it improves.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Shonagon posted:

Hydrocortisone is great but our dermatologist basically said 1% does no good and that he either used no steroids or strong steroids - one high dose that works is better than continually applying low doses that don't. I am not a doctor and that was his advice re my son specifically, but the guy was a consultant paediatric dermatologist at Great Ormond St Hospital. It might be worth talking to your doctor about short doses of stronger steroids

That was out dermatologist's advice as well - an intensive treatment to get it under control, then maintaining with regular moisturizer and other measures.

Slip Slap
Jun 30, 2011

Delicious
Thanks, I'll take him back to the doctor and see if she can refer me to a pediatric dermatologist. With his skin being as sensitive as it is, it's probably a good idea to establish a relationship with one anyway. His pediatrician didn't write us anything, just said keep using a cream.

I hope we can get this under control before he realizes he has sharp nails that can scratch that itch.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
This is not a major problem but I'd like to hear an opinion. I 'became' stepfather of a 3.5 year old boy and a six year old girl. Thankfully both are fond of me, which I am eternally thankful for. On the other hand I am trying hard to please them so they don't really have any reason to reject me (like they'd need to).

Somehow it's best if I spend time (play) with them individually because of the age difference and the fact that both want different things. The boy wants to play with trains or sometimes build towers with oversized Legos. I'm happy to oblige but the problem is, he always orders me around. I can only drive the train when he says to, grab the right car, etc. or he cries out. My attempts to do something differently is met with protest so I'm left with the task of dragging the train in a circle for hours. Same with the blocks. When I build a tower he cries out "No!" and destroys it, even hiding the blocks.

He's very eager to drag me into his room so I can play with him and cries when I want to go but at this point I don't see any point in being ordered around by him. How do I gently tell him that I don't want to go at this very moment or that I want to leave? Be firm? I suppose so.

I don't really mind this behaviour since I'm not a three year old too but I'm a little disappointed there is so little interaction. It's the same with the girl. She's can't read yet but is very eager to show and tell me stuff. I listen for a while but am unable to steer the flow of words in any direction even though I try gently. Often this ends with her saying naughty things that she finds funny and I leave at that point.

So I guess the problem is, how do I manage to make myself heard without risking the trust and affection they show me? Actually typing this out already helped out lots, as it showed me that I need to stand my ground. Her mother's a bit stern and they love her too. Thanks thread.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 2, 2012

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Our son can be bossy when playing. I'm sure you do this already but if not try 'taking turns'. He gets to play his way for a minute then you tell him it's your turn and you want to play your way. If he doesn't let you have your turn then you simply tell him that's not fair and you walk away. Eventually he should get the point.

Same goes for the girl. Like you said, you have to be firm. Remember that you're the boss and you don't have to treat them like equals.

Good luck.

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!

Lyz posted:

Quadro: http://www.creativekidstuff.com/quadro.html

My mom imported these from Germany when we were kids, and we played with them until we were well into high school. They are like Legos you can climb on.

We got a big starter set and the slide attachment, and built a small house plus a slide. The girls (mine are 1 and 3) love them. When they get older, they can do their own building. (Not, these aren't like those lovely Playskool pipes or whatever. Quadro are sturdy as hell.)

They are expensive, but they are better than buying something that your kid will grow out of in a year or two.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Canuckistan posted:

Our son can be bossy when playing. I'm sure you do this already but if not try 'taking turns'.

I'm totally new to this and it didn't occur to me. This is great advice, thanks!

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

AlistairCookie posted:

/\/\
Space from the maid.

Thanks for taking the time to read it. The maid lives with us with just one day off per week, as is normal here. I try to make her life easy and she's a trusted member of our household.

I don't mind Andrew being attached to her, as I was "attached" to a favorite aunt in a similar fashion. I read some guides about pitfalls of having a domestic helper and it helped put the situation into context. You are correct about the need for consistency, though.

As for my wife ... her constant excuse has always been "I'm tired and I need to relax because I'm pregnant." My female co-workers tell me it is an excuse and nothing more. Well, she's going on maternity leave next week so we'll see if there are any behavioural changes.

Starting tonight I'm going to enforce a one week cry-it-out rule.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Imperialist Dog posted:

Thanks for taking the time to read it. The maid lives with us with just one day off per week, as is normal here. I try to make her life easy and she's a trusted member of our household.

I don't mind Andrew being attached to her, as I was "attached" to a favorite aunt in a similar fashion. I read some guides about pitfalls of having a domestic helper and it helped put the situation into context. You are correct about the need for consistency, though.

As for my wife ... her constant excuse has always been "I'm tired and I need to relax because I'm pregnant." My female co-workers tell me it is an excuse and nothing more. Well, she's going on maternity leave next week so we'll see if there are any behavioural changes.

It sounds as though your maid has become a parent figure to your little boy, and he is feeling the same attachment as children develop for their mum or dad. For a while my son would get very upset if his dad tried to comfort him when he was upset, which was pretty difficult for both of us (his dad was hurt that his son seemed to hate him, I had to deal with everything) but it was a phase that he grew out of - especially when his dad started doing a lot more with him during the day and straight after work. Hopefully your son will grow out of it too.

Being pregnant has a different effect on different women and saying to her 'the women at my work think you're just faking being tired to get out of playing with our baby' is pretty unfair. Although you said she was the same before she was pregnant so I don't know. But it's not uncommon to have little energy at 8 months pregnant when you're also working full time and not sleeping properly.

I'm not going to get into the whole cry it out thing, but imposing a rule that one parent vehemently disagrees with is unlikely to be a positive thing for your relationship.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Imperialist Dog posted:

I'm going a bit nuts here so maybe someone can help me out. As I type this our 19-month-old son Andrew is screaming like he's being murdered in the background.
I try to get home from work as early as possible (usually around 6:30) so I can take Andrew to the park for a bit before his mom comes home. After meeting her at the train station we go back to our flat, where the maid and I proceed to play with Andrew until supper time.
Sigh. Sorry for the disorganisation. Andrew is crying again and it's the 10-minute interval, so I went to check on him to tell him everything is fine and he immediately jumped out of bed and ran to the door to find a way out to get to our maid. He sounds so pitiful and I feel horrible and guilty. Can anyone offer some advice on what to do with him, first and foremost?
I understand you all live together, but when you and the wife are home, why should your maid be playing with your son? Not to exclude her, but I'm sure she'd like some time to herself, and you could play with your son alone. You need to build a closer bond with him through things like that. Maybe you could call or skype him during your lunch break, feed him breakfast in the morning, be the one to give him his last bottle, sing a silly song to him right before bed, that sort of thing.

My nearly 10-month-old son goes to bed really early--about 30 minutes after my husband gets home--and it's really hard on all of us. He especially feels sad that he misses so much of Kosta's day. To make up for it, we try to skype for a few minutes during his lunch, he'll feed the baby breakfast while I sleep, things like that. For baby's bedtime routine, the only thing I do is nurse him and help with toothbrushing--husband changes diaper, puts on the pajamas, reads all the stories, places him in the crib, and says the final goodnight. On weekends he goes into the baby's room to comfort him in the night and does as much as possible to soak up time with him.

I know it's hard because it's natural for your son to love the maid, but you've got to get time in there with just you and your wife. You want him to realize that you'll take care of him, love him, and protect him. I really wouldn't do cry it out specifically because you really want your son to realize that if he's scared, Daddy will come and save him and make things better. You WANT him to be calling for you. That's a good opportunity to bond right in front of you.

Since I breastfed, for a while I was the one getting up most of the time at night. Once our son didn't need nonstop milk, my husband swapped in so that I could get a break. It's true that for a while--I can't remember if it was a few days or a week, but it was SHORT--the baby was SO ANGRY that it wasn't me coming that he'd scream and shriek. My husband and I were both miserable about it, but we knew baby wasn't alone or in danger--he was being cradled and rocked and sung to. Soon he stopped protesting and relaxed when his daddy went to him.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Imperialist Dog posted:

I honestly wouldn't do this. Not because I'm entering into The Great Sleep Debate, but because you need to work on your bond first. (Like Ben Davis ahead of me said.) What I would start enforcing, were I you, is a No-Maid-While-Mom-Or-Dad-Is-Home rule. Have her go out for a while, or have her keep to her room, door closed. YOU go to him during the night. It will be rough at first, but be consistent. It's not bad that he's attached to her, it's bad that he's attached to her to the exclusion of his own parent--and that needs to get worked through. Just like when a child is going through the Mommy-Only or Daddy-Only thing. It has to get worked through.

Also, have some serious sit-down's with your wife about the type of parents you both want to be. If you are not both in agreement on parenting, it will only get worse and worse, and both of you along with your kids will suffer.

Much luck to you! ;)

deadly claris
Jan 5, 2007

M'aiq thinks deadly claris is best partner in crime.

Slip Slap posted:

We had a HUGE battle with my son's skin for at least a year, where his face, ankles, and backs of his knees were broken out with terribly dry, itchy, bleedy eczema patches. We took him to a pediatric derm. and tried cortisone creams combined with strong steroids, followed the directions to a fault, but nothing helped. They just kept increasing dosage, and then said the next step would be oral steroids rather than topical. We tried not using any soap, using oatmeal in his baths, rubbing him down with hydrating lotion, Eucerin cream, blahblah.

I kept asking them to allergy test him, because I had noticed that when he ate less dairy, his eczema began to clear up. We were told he would not be tested because he was under 1, that we should stick to the steroids, and that "natural remedies" we were using (various creams made from skin-healthy herbs and foods, vitamin e oil, etc.,) which helped him more than the steroids and cortisone creams (and we didn't have to worry about him rubbing his skin and getting any of it in his mouth,) should not be given any mind.

We cut dairy out of his diet all together, regardless of several of the derms thinking it wouldn't do anything. His skin cleared right up. Whenever he accidentally has dairy now (people sometimes forget to use his butter for his food and instead use regular butter,) his eczema breaks out again and he sometimes gets all Exorcist Projectile Vomitous. He can eat most foods with dairy baked/cooked in to it, like cakes, brownies, etc., but nothing like scrambled eggs, a glass of milk, or mac and cheese.

To make a long story short: Even if you think it might not be a food allergy, it may be. You may want to consider eliminating dairy from your foodstuffs and see how he responds to your breastmilk after that?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

deadly claris posted:

We had a HUGE battle with my son's skin for at least a year, where his face, ankles, and backs of his knees were broken out with terribly dry, itchy, bleedy eczema patches. We took him to a pediatric derm. and tried cortisone creams combined with strong steroids, followed the directions to a fault, but nothing helped. They just kept increasing dosage, and then said the next step would be oral steroids rather than topical. We tried not using any soap, using oatmeal in his baths, rubbing him down with hydrating lotion, Eucerin cream, blahblah.

I kept asking them to allergy test him, because I had noticed that when he ate less dairy, his eczema began to clear up. We were told he would not be tested because he was under 1, that we should stick to the steroids, and that "natural remedies" we were using (various creams made from skin-healthy herbs and foods, vitamin e oil, etc.,) which helped him more than the steroids and cortisone creams (and we didn't have to worry about him rubbing his skin and getting any of it in his mouth,) should not be given any mind.

We cut dairy out of his diet all together, regardless of several of the derms thinking it wouldn't do anything. His skin cleared right up. Whenever he accidentally has dairy now (people sometimes forget to use his butter for his food and instead use regular butter,) his eczema breaks out again and he sometimes gets all Exorcist Projectile Vomitous. He can eat most foods with dairy baked/cooked in to it, like cakes, brownies, etc., but nothing like scrambled eggs, a glass of milk, or mac and cheese.

To make a long story short: Even if you think it might not be a food allergy, it may be. You may want to consider eliminating dairy from your foodstuffs and see how he responds to your breastmilk after that?

How old was he when this was happening? Our child health nurse told us not to give our child any dairy until around 8-10 months and only then processed dairy. Things like cheese or where the milk had been cooked into something.

deadly claris
Jan 5, 2007

M'aiq thinks deadly claris is best partner in crime.

Konomex posted:

How old was he when this was happening? Our child health nurse told us not to give our child any dairy until around 8-10 months and only then processed dairy. Things like cheese or where the milk had been cooked into something.

I had to switch to formula, so he was getting milk-based/dairy in his diet probably around 3 months - but only from formula. I had never been a huge dairy person, so guess I did not have enough dairy protein transferring through my breastmilk to start the eczema up. When he began reacting badly to the formula, we switched to a soy-based formula, but we had not yet attributed his eczema to dairy, so he was getting dairy-based foods until I made the connection. He has never had milk. We didn't want to even try it because of how terribly he reacted to cheese and eggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I'm happy to oblige but the problem is, he always orders me around. I can only drive the train when he says to, grab the right car, etc. or he cries out. My attempts to do something differently is met with protest so I'm left with the task of dragging the train in a circle for hours. Same with the blocks. When I build a tower he cries out "No!" and destroys it, even hiding the blocks.

3 can be a rough age for this sort of thing. What level of language skills would you cay that your son has? We have always had luck with speaking to the kids frankly and honestly, although we have to be careful to put things into terms and perspectives that they can relate with.

You may have some luck with just telling him that when he is bossy it makes you feel bad. Some children really will understand this, even at 3. There are probably just as many kids that would just shriek NO! and continue to rock the gently caress out however they want, but if you think he is capable of understanding then he probably is.