Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

jetz0r posted:

There's no raid keys, the only thing slowing down raid progression is that you need T1 beat to flag for T2, and non-Xorb T2s done to flag for Xorb. And that someone has to do the group tasks in a zone to request the raid.

Of course, this is the guild that beat VoA a month before anyone else and no one was in T2 when we stopped raiding last night. This guild is really completely different from any other raiding I've done. A raid that slows RoI down for days would be punching another guild in the dick for weeks.

So you guys finish the xpac in a week then stand around scratching your nuts for the next 51 weeks until more raids come out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

MrTheDevious posted:

So you guys finish the xpac in a week then stand around scratching your nuts for the next 51 weeks until more raids come out?

Well, we get to gear up the guild in top tier armor, complete the raid achievements, gear up our alts on raid gear, then beta test the next expansion. NToV will make gearing up a ton of alts super easy!

So basically, yes. RoI was on a 1 day a week raid schedule in VoA for a long time. I went from the 15th ranked guild to 1st and spend about 1/6th as much time raiding.

There is going to be another tier of RoF content released at some point in the future. So that will give us something to do in the middle of the expansion.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

It's not really that far from WoW, the latest raid content is wiped out within the day of launching by the top guilds, and the heroic (extra hard difficulty) modes within a week or two, if I'm not mistaken.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

ponzicar posted:

For getting regular experience, kill dark blue or higher conning monsters. That works a lot better, unless you're with a headshotting ranger or doing some other method of really fast killing.

I thought the idea behind the Hole was that since it was an old-world zone, stuff doesn't hit so hard, so you can just constantly kill poo poo. I remember farting around a little bit in some of the PoP zones before I quit last time, and actually having some downtime while killing stuff as a monk with a tank merc. Healer merc was slower to kill obviously, and I think still had a bit of downtime.

I've just recently come back to my 66 monk, and the Hole didn't seem all that bad. Great plat loot too, I think I got about 4k from a few hours of farming the light blues in the hole.

I'm on Povar-Quellious in case there's anyone else who wants to mess around.

2X2 Eyes
May 30, 2010

|||||||||!
Ive decided to get all the AA's I need first (got a few like Stonewall that are must haves that I don't have). I will leave the heavy XP grind once I get a few dozen AA's.

BTW, are epic 2.0's worth the effort? And is it feasible to start at 66?

StickOnTattoos
May 5, 2006
Lick it and stick it
Certain epics are probably a waste of time but definitely not the monk 2.0. A 10k heal every 3 minutes can mean life or death in certain situations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I use my paladin 2.0 every single time it refreshes.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Devor posted:

I thought the idea behind the Hole was that since it was an old-world zone, stuff doesn't hit so hard, so you can just constantly kill poo poo. I remember farting around a little bit in some of the PoP zones before I quit last time, and actually having some downtime while killing stuff as a monk with a tank merc. Healer merc was slower to kill obviously, and I think still had a bit of downtime.

I've just recently come back to my 66 monk, and the Hole didn't seem all that bad. Great plat loot too, I think I got about 4k from a few hours of farming the light blues in the hole.

I'm on Povar-Quellious in case there's anyone else who wants to mess around.

PoP is strange like that. The power jump in the mobs between Luclin and PoP was much larger than between EQ->RoK, RoK->SoV or SoV->SoL.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

2X2 Eyes posted:

Ive decided to get all the AA's I need first (got a few like Stonewall that are must haves that I don't have). I will leave the heavy XP grind once I get a few dozen AA's.

BTW, are epic 2.0's worth the effort? And is it feasible to start at 66?

My 80 Shadow Knight has his 2.0 and it's almost broken... it's that good. My bard also has his (also level 80), and it is fantastic except for the fact that it, for some inane reason, doesn't instant-cast and thus interrupts my melodies.

I'm going to go ahead and ask this again, because I am genuinely baffled. Back in the summer when I was playing all the time, I couldn't play EQ on my desktop computer. After no more than 20 or 30 minutes, the screen would look like it was shattered, my system would luck up, and I would often blue screen and have to reboot. This would only happen playing EQ, so I had to play on my gaming laptop.

That laptop died on me (it could be fixed, but it would be ludicrously expensive) right before the new academic year began, and I stopped playing EQ partly due to boredom and partly due to having no time. I assumed that the problem was my crappy old video card and I recently bought a brand new, much better card (GeForce 560) for my desktop, plus I added a ton of RAM. I re-installed EQ thinking that it would run now, and the problem still persists, rendering the game unplayable. Any idea what it could be? I was sure that it was my video card, and now I just have no idea. I literally do not have this problem in any other application at any time.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 30, 2012

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

JustJeff88 posted:

My 80 Shadow Knight has his 2.0 and it's almost broken... it's that good. My bard also has his (also level 80), and it is fantastic except for the fact that it, for some inane reason, doesn't instant-cast and thus interrupts my melodies.

I'm going to go ahead and ask this again, because I am genuinely baffled. Back in the summer when I was playing all the time, I couldn't play EQ on my desktop computer. After no more than 20 or 30 minutes, the screen would look like it was shattered, my system would luck up, and I would often blue screen and have to reboot. This would only happen playing EQ, so I had to play on my gaming laptop.

That laptop died on me (it could be fixed, but it would be ludicrously expensive) right before the new academic year began, and I stopped playing EQ partly due to boredom and partly due to having no time. I assumed that the problem was my crappy old video card and I recently bought a brand new, much better card (GeForce 560) for my desktop, plus I added a ton of RAM. I re-installed EQ thinking that it would run now, and the problem still persists, rendering the game unplayable. Any idea what it could be? I was sure that it was my video card, and now I just have no idea. I literally do not have this problem in any other application at any time.

Sounds like it might be overheating, especially since it's a laptop. Try setting the max fps at 50 or 60? Even though it's not difficult to render, if the fps is uncapped, then your system can hurt itself by rendering at something stupid like 200 fps.

This has the side effect of letting you use mouselook to adjust the camera vertically, which goes REALLY SLOWLY if your fps is very high. I took mine down to the 50s and now I can use mouselook.

As a separate question, what's the best progression for AA's as a newbie monk in my mid 60s? My plan right now is to aim for whatever offensive ones strike my fancy first, with the following reasoning:

I'm playing solo, and since the tank merc puts out DPS that are about even with me (or higher than me), it doesn't seem to make much sense to swap over to healer to solo harder things. As it is, I rely on the tank merc to tank, since he has insane regen, and I'm just whacking at the backs of npcs.

Also, what type of weapon is better for mid 60s into 70s for monks, 1h or 2h? Right now I'm focusing on AAs that apply to both types, but there are quite a few that only affect dual wielding, or 2h weapons. Or are the special attack AA's really valuable early? My initial thought was that since special attacks are so little of my damage right now, the autoattack stuff is higher priority.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

1h is better DPS than 2h given equal quality weapons. 2h is better for tanking since you are riposted less times by swinging less times.

A lot of the monk utility AAs are AWESOME, most specifically all the crit/rapid mend AAs, Run 8, Stonewall, and Rapid Feign. Your special attacks do become a significant portion of your DPS (especially Flying Kick) so buying those isn't really a waste, but I'd finish the autoattack stuff first

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Glad to see there are plans to play some next year. I have been getting the EQ itch lately. I'm just bummed that I can't use SC to pay for a sub..it certainly discourages any multiboxing I may want to do. I kind of just enjoy the lower levels in EQ because I am familiar with them. Post-80 is a void-of-the-unknown-scary-things that hit for 3k.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Devor posted:

Sounds like it might be overheating, especially since it's a laptop. Try setting the max fps at 50 or 60? Even though it's not difficult to render, if the fps is uncapped, then your system can hurt itself by rendering at something stupid like 200 fps.

This has the side effect of letting you use mouselook to adjust the camera vertically, which goes REALLY SLOWLY if your fps is very high.

No, my laptop ran it fine - this is my desktop. I can also run the game decently on my tablet PC, which isn't a gaming machine at all. Also, I have one of those towers that monitors your cpu and gpu temps, and EQ, being graphically modest, doesn't cause much heat. But going on what you said, does EQ have an application-specific setting for frame-rate limits, or would I have to set it in Nvidia Tools? I play a lot of older games that are very graphically simple by 2012 standards, and I've never had this problem.

Speaking of monks, bards also can get "Run 8." I earned all of the base run speed buffs for my bard, but its kind of a waste when you have Selo's Sonata and can run at hyperspeed using an instant-click buff that lasts 3 minutes.

I also stopped leveling at 80 pretty much for that reason - the difficulty curve jumps up like it just saw a ghost. You can't get HoT groups at 80 because you are too low, but you can't get the level 80 gear that you need to improve because you need to earn it in Thule. It took me forever to get my 3 guys fully kitted in level 80 gear, and I had a lot of help from generous friends. End of the day, this game is just too much grind and I can't see it having any lasting appeal for me. I had my most fun doing things like soloing Trakanon (he once popped on me while I wasn't paying attention - almost pissed meself) and helping people with 1.0 Epics.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Ninkobei posted:

Post-80 is a void-of-the-unknown-scary-things that hit for 3k.

[Thu Nov 29 20:48:00 2012] XXXXXXX hits YOU for 37425 points of damage.

The world is scarier than you can imagine.

There's not really anything to fill the gap between the 350-400hp top defiant armor and the 950-1khp HoT T1 armor for people leveling from 70-85. Sure there's the SoD armor that actually filled that gap, but it's not tradable, the zones are empty and the vis armor requires far more effort than its place in progression is worth.

The best bet is to farm plat somewhere to buy Hot T1, VoA T1 or RoF T1 armor from the bazaar.

EQ does get faster in the post-80 expansions. Mobs in exp groups die in 20s, players can die in 10s. It is really weird to go play the L50 missions and duck out of 10s cast time heals because the player hasn't taken enough damage. Changes in player power basically made it so if a non-tank could tank something for a decent amount of time, it would be trivial for an actual tank class to tank it. If I can tank one SoD mob comfortably, my SK can tank 160 of them.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

jetz0r posted:

If I can tank one SoD mob comfortably, my SK can tank 160 of them.

:stare: Jesus christ.

And in response to the dude with the computer issues, there's a frame limit built into EQ - I think it's under display tab. It's a slider if I remember correctly.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Isn't the underfoot expansion the content designed for the 80 to 85 gap?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

ponzicar posted:

Isn't the underfoot expansion the content designed for the 80 to 85 gap?

From what I've been told no one messes with Underfoot because the mobs were too drat hard and the reward wasn't that great.

I think the best bet is to gear up through farming plat and buying poo poo from the bazaar. Depending on your class there are some decent places to level up from 80->85 even with so-so gear if you are soloing or duoing. I did Thalassius as a Rogue and Bard duo from 83-85 (I've also gotten about 900aas combined there with semi-casual playing over about 2 weeks). That's not to downplay how much 80 to 85 sucks, but you just kinda have to find a zone that is the best for leveling your class.

StickOnTattoos
May 5, 2006
Lick it and stick it
Underfoot is really, really hard.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

SoD and UF were both L85 expansions, UF is pretty much an additional 3ish tiers on top of SoD and is just too hard for under-geared players. SoD is the much easier to deal with L85 expansion.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

funzo2226 posted:

From what I've been told no one messes with Underfoot because the mobs were too drat hard and the reward wasn't that great.

I think the best bet is to gear up through farming plat and buying poo poo from the bazaar. Depending on your class there are some decent places to level up from 80->85 even with so-so gear if you are soloing or duoing. I did Thalassius as a Rogue and Bard duo from 83-85 (I've also gotten about 900aas combined there with semi-casual playing over about 2 weeks). That's not to downplay how much 80 to 85 sucks, but you just kinda have to find a zone that is the best for leveling your class.

This is what I did, basically. I ground over 1.5k AA in Paw (still bout 75%/25% blue/light blue at 80) because the mobs are trivial there. I just sold all of the vendor trash to finance my terrible armour habit, and I freely admit that I had a lot of help. After all that, I wasn't about to grind to 85 (slow as gently caress) plus God-knows-how-many more AA and then, at 85, have to grind out another 3 full sets of armour (visible and non-visible) for my three toons.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

jetz0r posted:

[Thu Nov 29 20:48:00 2012] XXXXXXX hits YOU for 37425 points of damage.

The world is scarier than you can imagine.

There's not really anything to fill the gap between the 350-400hp top defiant armor and the 950-1khp HoT T1 armor for people leveling from 70-85. Sure there's the SoD armor that actually filled that gap, but it's not tradable, the zones are empty and the vis armor requires far more effort than its place in progression is worth.

The best bet is to farm plat somewhere to buy Hot T1, VoA T1 or RoF T1 armor from the bazaar.

EQ does get faster in the post-80 expansions. Mobs in exp groups die in 20s, players can die in 10s. It is really weird to go play the L50 missions and duck out of 10s cast time heals because the player hasn't taken enough damage. Changes in player power basically made it so if a non-tank could tank something for a decent amount of time, it would be trivial for an actual tank class to tank it. If I can tank one SoD mob comfortably, my SK can tank 160 of them.

OMM gear kind of did it - it's significantly better than defiant but isn't quite good enough to make you appealing. They nerfed that somehow, though I can't recall. I really liked OMMs, they got me from 70-80 really easily on a new character and I liked the old content. The only downside was most groups were not particularly high on skill so I had to go enchanter every loving time.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

The best option is really just to buy HoT T1 visible and enough dream motes for the nonvis slots. It's the only thing that makes 81-85 halfway non-miserable

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
What's OMM?

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe
Old Man McKenzie Missions

Basically a set of three monster missions where everyone plays as level 50 characters in Upper Guk, Lower Guk, and Sol B for some alt currency called brews, which you can use to buy some pretty decent 80-85 gear.

It used to give really great exp too, but some of the players complained about people selling the task adds on this and HoT tasks every day (since you could basically level up without doing anything, and people would spam the chat channels selling the TAs) and Sony straight up removed the exp rewards from this task.

Today you'd only run it if you REALLY wanted some of the augs or clickies, but since HoT armor is waaaaay better, easier to get, and doesn't require you to lose time you could be getting experience to get it. They really should let you buy the brews with loyalty points though.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

MrTheDevious posted:

The best option is really just to buy HoT T1 visible and enough dream motes for the nonvis slots. It's the only thing that makes 81-85 halfway non-miserable

This. There is stuff like others are mentioning, but it's a giant hassle because no one bothers with it, and in the time it takes you to get it you can just power to HOT/VOA/whatever is easily attainable and still relevant. At 85+ you start seeing ridiculous stat leaps on gear for dirt cheap prices and from there I just jumped right into the VoA stuff. It's a few awkward levels where it feels like mobs hit way too hard and you have few upgrades, but I think blasting past it is better than lingering for gear upgrades, aside from brain-numbingly easy AA-grind spots where it doesn't matter much anyway.

Question: Did they ever change monks so that stuff like the 4-5 kicks auto-activate? I asked a dev once and he got snippy and said that it was part of the game and making flying kick auto-attack destroys a fundamental part of being a monk :rolleyes:. I don't want to buy into a new expansion just because I feel like I'm playing a whack-a-mole simulator on my monk at level 95 and I loathe that poo poo. I even set up a G-15 macro to chain spam like 7 abilities I use regularly, but that messed with my shaman bot when I switched windows and eventually the whole thing just became unfun to the core. Whack-a-mole hotbar gameplay is seriously the only reason I'm not playing now.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 2, 2012

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The OMM missions still have some good rewards. There's an item with a right click tash that's int caster and bard usable, a frog illusion mask, and a shield with a reverse damage shield click effect. The hard part is finding people to go through them with you, and who don't suck completely at old school dungeon crawling.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

OMMs have some clickies that are basically required at the high end.

But they are a huge pain the rear end and are loving awful to solo box.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Question: Did they ever change monks so that stuff like the 4-5 kicks auto-activate? I asked a dev once and he got snippy and said that it was part of the game and making flying kick auto-attack destroys a fundamental part of being a monk :rolleyes:. I don't want to buy into a new expansion just because I feel like I'm playing a whack-a-mole simulator on my monk at level 95 and I loathe that poo poo. I even set up a G-15 macro to chain spam like 7 abilities I use regularly, but that messed with my shaman bot when I switched windows and eventually the whole thing just became unfun to the core. Whack-a-mole hotbar gameplay is seriously the only reason I'm not playing now.
No, and personally I think it's fine. Even in WoW you need to actively use your special abilities, so I don't see how it would be fair that monks would auto-use all their kicks in EQ. You can also use most of them strategically; the triple-kick is a massive burst, Stunning Kick stuns (duh), and the endurance-using Shuriken ability isn't something you'll want to use constantly due to the endurance drain. Then you have the long-lasting boosts like Zan Fi, IoT, Drunken Money, etc. that you want to time.

There are a lot of skills, but we're lvl 95-100 now, and do you remember when monks and rogues were literally auto-attack and use one skill every 5 seconds? :) Quite an improvement in my eyes.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Pilsner posted:

There are a lot of skills, but we're lvl 95-100 now, and do you remember when monks and rogues were literally auto-attack and use one skill every 5 seconds? :) Quite an improvement in my eyes.

Thats EXACTLY what I want :(. I want skills to be either attention-required reactive stuff, or "press auto-attack and forget", and a bunch of stuff I have is neither, it's just "press when cooldown is refreshed". I already played a bard in PoP era, I'm completely over constant pointless key mashing. I have 7 hotbars of random poo poo to use, and while some of it is timed, a lot of it like flying/stunning kick/cloud of fists is brainless "press whenever it pops up" kind of stuff in most groups since I don't raid often and never need to conserve stamina (I'm at 55-60kish I think,nothing I have makes a dent on it typically). All the cooldown reductions make it even worse, since stunning kick is like 6 second timer last I played. An "auto-use on autoattack" toggle would make it so much more enjoyable. This is probably 100x worse for me since I'm an achievement whore and so many skills for the achievements raise like 1 time in 6000 (disarm and the like)

It's just not fun, challenging, or in any way engaging pressing flying/stunning kick every 6(9?) seconds along with a bunch of the other "use every time it's up" skills. I totally get that a lot of stuff is situational, like grappling strike and other activated abilities, but I want to chill and chat with people when I'm grinding/questing, not play a whack-a-mole when there's literally no skill or reactivity required for stuff like flying kick. It's like, "press when not grey" and thats it. I realize 95% of this applies to other MMOs and lovely skill rotations and whatever else, but I'm not really comparing because I don't particularly like those either.

I have 7 near-full hotbars now of skills, gear clickies, potions, and other random junk I need to remember to use once every X minutes. Most of it situational, but drat that poo poo stopped being fun a long time ago. I think it was sometime around the 3k AA mark and getting full click gear.

I realize I need to stop trying to max out stuff like disarm/intimidate/begging and other dumb poo poo like that because it's making it exponentially worse. Why did they have to add an achievement for it :negative:

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 2, 2012

Not Grover
Nov 6, 2007
You can try using a macro, and put each kick on a separate line. It won't completely fix things, but it could mitigate some of the annoyance. However, if you do that, you'll need to be aware that it won't show you the timers, so you'll have to still have to (one? maybe two?) button mash, and if the skills are on different timers, you won't have an easy way to see when things refresh.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Not Grover posted:

You can try using a macro, and put each kick on a separate line. It won't completely fix things, but it could mitigate some of the annoyance. However, if you do that, you'll need to be aware that it won't show you the timers, so you'll have to still have to (one? maybe two?) button mash, and if the skills are on different timers, you won't have an easy way to see when things refresh.

Thats kind of what I did. I have a G15 macro that basically fires off Flying kick, stunning kick, cloud of fists, disarm, intimidation endlessly. It's just kind of annoying and feels like an ordeal to use since it locks out chat. I should probably just roll mage or something, but I'm at 95 with like 4kAA and T4 VoA and it's hard to drop a character like that. I'm just venting and was checking in to see if an auto-toggle for skills was in game yet. The bottom line here is that I'm lazy and hate repetition and that's a personal problem, I guess :shobon:. The worst part is when I take 6-7 months off and come back to hotbar hell and don't remember what most of it is for.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 2, 2012

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Or you can just use MacroQuest and have it set to auto-trigger whatever you want when it refreshes. As long as you don't use the active poo poo like warping and zoning, you'll be fine. Between that and ISBoxer, I had my entire 4man team except the SK automated fully unless I needed to burn something fast. You can even have it set to do poo poo like syncing Sham and Bard 2.0 clicks

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Meow Tse-tung posted:

This is probably 100x worse for me since I'm an achievement whore and so many skills for the achievements raise like 1 time in 6000 (disarm and the like)

I realize I need to stop trying to max out stuff like disarm/intimidate/begging and other dumb poo poo like that because it's making it exponentially worse. Why did they have to add an achievement for it :negative:

Autofire those skills while you sleep. Begging takes like 12 hours to gain the last 150 points. You can duel someone with a merc up in a VoA guildhall and autofire all your combat and NPC skills on the merc.

If you are trying to be a super completionist, you will literally never get all the achievements so might as well give up on them now.

If any of you are actually in RoF, doing the quest lines in the zones is better exp than actually grinding for the same amount of time. There's a few group tasks that are hard as balls but they made questing a thing you will want to do. Completing a zone gives something like 20% of a level and 10AA on top of all the other rewards. I'm liking the combo AA and normal EXP rewards cause you can keep the EXP slider on level but you still get AAs to upgrade lines as you level.

Of course headshot is still better exp than almost anything else.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

jetz0r posted:

Of course headshot is still better exp than almost anything else.

Headshotting meaning using the ranger AA that gives you a chance to instakill? Does that become efficient as soon as they get that AA? I'm thinking of switching things up from my monk when I went to one of the hot zones closer to my level, and poo poo was hitting for 700+ damage. Jesus.

Edit: Actually probably not enough patience to roll up another character, but still curious.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Devor posted:

Headshotting meaning using the ranger AA that gives you a chance to instakill? Does that become efficient as soon as they get that AA? I'm thinking of switching things up from my monk when I went to one of the hot zones closer to my level, and poo poo was hitting for 700+ damage. Jesus.

Edit: Actually probably not enough patience to roll up another character, but still curious.
Not right away, it's borderline worthless when they get it, but it starts getting doable around lvl 75 (Plane of Valor I think), a bit more efficient at lvl 79 and even more at 81 where you can headshot those castles in Plane of Fire. At higher levels you can wipe out large groups of really tough mobs that give good XP, using an AoE snare and then headshotting like nuts. It's the fastest XP in the game.

However, even at lvl 81 the XP isn't really amazing. You must have Plane of Fire C2 (castle 2) to yourself or there won't be enough mobs for you. Second, it requires extreme levels of concentration and focus for up to 10 minutes while you gather up the mobs and plink them down. You can only headshot in a few select locations, because the mobs need to be light blue or blue so they give decent XP, but not so high level that headshot doesn't work on them. Finally, remember that if you don't really enjoy a Ranger, it's not worth playing one just because they can gain fast AA. Same goes with any class with an XP farming advantage. I'm not saying rangers are bad by the way, not at all, but keep it in mind when you're jealous of other classes' farming abilities.

About the 700-hitting mobs in hot zones, that's how it starts getting if you go to the recommended hot zones. Extremely nasty if you're coming from The Hole with weak mobs hitting for 200ish. I highly recommend doing Paw when you get to the low 70's, mobs have less HP and hit for a bit less there than in the new hot zones. It's the best spot from the early 70s to lvl 80, both for XP and AA for a monk - I levelled and AA'd there myself.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Pilsner posted:

I highly recommend doing Paw when you get to the low 70's, mobs have less HP and hit for a bit less there than in the new hot zones. It's the best spot from the early 70s to lvl 80, both for XP and AA for a monk - I levelled and AA'd there myself.

I'll second this with jam on top. I leveled my guys to 80 and my druid to the 1000 AA Silver Account cap almost entirely in Paw. Once you hit 81, it's over, but before then it's easy experience with very good trash/cash drops. My druid, who had no AA at all in CA and/or CS, would just let the guys hit him - I didn't even bother to root or snare anything. I just would tank the damage and toss myself a heal every now and again.

There's also a quest for a rather nice augment if you turn in 4 things to the gnome who stands at the entrance - they drop off of the 4 named elementals (one for each element) that are scattered about the zone. I couldn't use it because it was prestige, and those items are for Gold accounts only.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
Does Rain of Fear grant a month of playtime or would a returning person need Gold PLUS RoF? Also, are the "scaling" items only at very high levels or will the dropped low level gear scale now?

blackmage
Sep 9, 2006
Holy crap, leveling is ridiculous now. I think I went from about 28 to 43 in an evening and a bit.

So what do people do for clicky runspeed buffs now? Does anyone still use jboots, or is there something better?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

blackmage posted:

Holy crap, leveling is ridiculous now. I think I went from about 28 to 43 in an evening and a bit.

So what do people do for clicky runspeed buffs now? Does anyone still use jboots, or is there something better?

People just blaze through the first 60ish levels and get the run speed AA. Otherwise, you probably have a mount in your /claim window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmage
Sep 9, 2006

Node posted:

People just blaze through the first 60ish levels and get the run speed AA. Otherwise, you probably have a mount in your /claim window.

Whoa really? I only have a vague idea how the claim thing works. I got some armour and a weapon out of some Lost Legacies thing, but other stuff I don't get (a lamp post?). It's changed all so much, I'm so confused.