Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

As much as I hate doubleTwist when it comes to the desktop app, they got really decent with the Android app. So I've been using them for music and podcast. It's really really basic stuff though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

SuperNuts posted:

Can anyone recommend some good sms tablet apps? Basically I'd like to be able to receive and respond to texts my phone gets on my Nexus 7. Paid for or free, doesn't really matter.

If you're not in the US and can't use GVoice, then Tablet Talk is great.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

SuperNuts posted:

Can anyone recommend some good sms tablet apps? Basically I'd like to be able to receive and respond to texts my phone gets on my Nexus 7. Paid for or free, doesn't really matter.

DeskSMS (assuming you are not using Google Voice)

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'm having a problem with instagram and maybe the stock camera app as well. The most immediate issue is that whenever I add a photo to instagram from the gallery or a new photo, the image flickers between visible and invisible (mostly the latter) on the effects screen (after I crop it). It shows up for a second or so at a time, then seems to disappear until I do something else with the interface at which point it shows back up briefly then disappears all over again. I've tried clearing cache and all data for instagram, force stopping the app, and even uninstalling it / reinstalling it.

Phone is a Sprint GS3 running the latest nightly of CM10. Could this be caused by the ROM? The other issue I've seen ( though I can work around it if instagram decides to show the image to me for any length of time) is that images passed to other apps haver incorrect rotation applied, i.e. I'll shoot a photo in portrait, send it to instagram, and its on its side. What causes this?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

You can try fiddling with the GPU-related options in Developer Options, but this isn't isolated to Instagram. It shows up mostly in games, and either they get a situation-specific hotfix or yeah you have to resort to developer options. Something about the CM10 GPU driver for the US carrier "Galaxy S III" variants is broken, and either there isn't a good one that exists or the maintainers don't give a poo poo.

You could switch ROMs, but TouchWiz ROMs are, well, TouchWiz, and not-TouchWiz ROMs are probably using the CM kernel, or at least the same graphics driver.

Or CM9 - at least you're using one of the three (of six) variants that even got a CM9 - but it's been abandoned for close to three months because of new hotness and who cares about graphics.

Yeah, the d2 is stuck in a bad place right now.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 1, 2012

superunknown
Jul 11, 2001

If good things lasted forever, would we appreciate how precious they are?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Qloud Media is like Emit but it works well.

This seems to be an improvement so far, thank you.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Medullah posted:

I'd like to transition away from Itunes...I mostly use it for podcasts now. What's a nice, relatively simple podcast app that can download and store podcasts on my SD card (my real SD card, not the "emulated" one that the Galaxy has) via WiFi automatically, and automatically set up smart playlists that have them in the order of oldest first, etc?

I've seen a few recommendations here...I tried Doggcatcher a few years back, and while it was cool, I had issues with the volume not being very loud. BeyondPod seems cool, but looks like it has a ton of features I don't know that I would use.
GoodNews.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Medullah posted:

…I've seen a few recommendations here...I tried Doggcatcher a few years back, and while it was cool, I had issues with the volume not being very loud.…

:aaaaa: I do not have this experience.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Yeah, the d2 is stuck in a bad place right now.

Thanks, disabling hardware overlays in the developer options fixed it, though I found a report or two of that causing the phone to get pretty hot due to some setcpu bug that may or may not have been fixed by now. I guess I'll keep an eye on it. I could just go back to the backup I have of the stock ROM and stay rooted, but I really like the simplicity of CM10.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

SuperNuts posted:

Chiming in about DeskSMS. I love it. Worth every penny at 5 bucks a year. The only thing we need now is (for multiplatform neckbeards such as myself) a desksms tablet client for iPad.

gaxsezu
Jan 28, 2008
I've been using Chomp, but all my friends have iPhones and whenever a group text is sent out I have no clue that the text I just received wasn't just a text to me unless there's a "Hey you guys" in there or something. Is there an app out there that'd let me see the other recipients and their replies as well, sort of like a textual group video chat? I'm actually not even sure if that's how it shows up on their phones, but it's kind of weird to feel like the "C" in the "A-B" conversation and have no idea what the other guys are replying to.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

gaxsezu posted:

I've been using Chomp, but all my friends have iPhones and whenever a group text is sent out I have no clue that the text I just received wasn't just a text to me unless there's a "Hey you guys" in there or something. Is there an app out there that'd let me see the other recipients and their replies as well, sort of like a textual group video chat? I'm actually not even sure if that's how it shows up on their phones, but it's kind of weird to feel like the "C" in the "A-B" conversation and have no idea what the other guys are replying to.

Seconding this...it's not a big deal when a big group conversation is going on and you are paying attention to the texts coming in, but if you're away from your phone it's confusing as hell...

*edit* What's the best text message pop up program now? I don't want to completely replace the stock messaging app necessarily in my GS3, but the old standby of SMS Pop Up doesn't seem to work as well as it did with my Evo (multiple pop ups for 1 message, etc).

Medullah fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 1, 2012

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Airdroid is so good its freaking me out.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

gaxsezu posted:

I've tried a couple different messaging apps that are supposed to do group messaging, but they all seem to do so in the most clunky way possible. I know this only works if you can get people to go along with it, but what I've found to be the best solution is using Facebook Messenger.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
I just want a holo replacement for the stock sense messaging app. =(

sarcasticsmoothie
Apr 7, 2011
I'm using Handcent and it works decently, but it is somewhat clunky. If you use it, make it your default, turn on group message threading, and delay notifications until after retrieval; only very rarely will you get a message that doesn't show up properly in the thread.

FWIW I'm on an HTC One X Plus.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Cruseydr posted:

I just want a holo replacement for the stock sense messaging app. =(
You could try this as long as you're on ICS or JB.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Sir Unimaginative posted:

You can try fiddling with the GPU-related options in Developer Options, but this isn't isolated to Instagram.
The rendering pipeline was practically rewritten for Jellybean as part of "butter". And yes, there's a history of graphical corruption issues in d2's CM10 as part of having ICS blobs, beta blobs, and an ICS-based kernel tree with Qualcomm JB patches added.

Nearly of the corruption issues were fixed in time for stable, in fact, the Instagram one is the only one that I'm aware of that still exists. Corruption in games is likely EGL issues, again old blobs.

In any event, 4.2 is a complete rebase for d2. It's now using a JB-based kernel tree and blobs which should eliminate those issues. And of course, introduce new ones, which is why it's happening after the CM 10.0 stable release.

Don't run CM9 on d2 though. It was never a complete port. The reason it was abandoned in favor of CM10 is because much of the framework code needed for new Qualcomm devices would have had to be backported late in the CM9 development cycle, but had already been folded into AOSP for Jellybean.

sirbeefalot posted:

The other issue I've seen ( though I can work around it if instagram decides to show the image to me for any length of time) is that images passed to other apps haver incorrect rotation applied, i.e. I'll shoot a photo in portrait, send it to instagram, and its on its side. What causes this?
All photos taken with the SGS3's camera are natively in landscape orientation. What it should do is apply an EXIF Orientation tag based on the device's orientation to ensure programs rotate the image correctly. However, as far as I can tell none of the photos taken actually have this tag, but somehow the Gallery knows the original orientation.

I've seen this problem in both TW and CM. I'm guessing it's a bug in Samsung's camera HAL.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 2, 2012

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Vagrancy posted:

Hands-down the best so far.

I wish it had the light theme like Tweet Lanes has. I find all this dark grey a bit too depressing. Otherwise really great App (and far better performance than Tweet Lanes).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

All photos taken with the SGS3's camera are natively in landscape orientation. What it should do is apply an EXIF Orientation tag based on the device's orientation to ensure programs rotate the image correctly. However, as far as I can tell none of the photos taken actually have this tag, but somehow the Gallery knows the original orientation.

I've seen this problem in both TW and CM. I'm guessing it's a bug in Samsung's camera HAL.

I've had Camera Orientation applied from SGS3 shots. At least, I think I have; the thumbnails in Windows are on the side but the full-sized in irfanview are correctly oriented; I assume that's EXIF in action.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just ordered some NFC tags off of Amazon, what's my best option for getting the most out of them? NFC Task Launcher + Tasker?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Cakefool posted:

Airdroid is so good its freaking me out.

Yeah, I am rapidly becoming a fan

The only issue is that it doesn't tell you what phone is what type for a contact. So, if I want to SMS someone, I still have to use the phone to see what is their mobile number (as opposed to work, fax or home numbers)

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

spog posted:

Yeah, I am rapidly becoming a fan

The only issue is that it doesn't tell you what phone is what type for a contact. So, if I want to SMS someone, I still have to use the phone to see what is their mobile number (as opposed to work, fax or home numbers)

Is the UK unique in having a different prefix for mobile numbers then? All mobile numbers here begin with 07.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

rolleyes posted:

Is the UK unique in having a different prefix for mobile numbers then? All mobile numbers here begin with 07.

I don't know about other countries, but the US has no way to distinguish between landline and mobile numbers based on the number itself. That would be rather nice, I must admit.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Arcsech posted:

I don't know about other countries, but the US has no way to distinguish between landline and mobile numbers based on the number itself. That would be rather nice, I must admit.

That leads to another question then: in the US, are you billed differently for calling mobile numbers vs landline numbers? Calls to mobiles here generally cost more, so if you couldn't tell just by looking that a number was for a mobile it'd be pretty poo poo.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mobile telephone numbers in Australia currently all exist on the 04 area code.

Given that most people in Oz will port their current number for the rest of their lives and there are 5 times as many numbers in 04 than there are people in Oz, it probably won't fill up soon, but if it doesn't they'll most likely activate one of the unused area codes like 06 or 09 as a second mobile phone code.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

rolleyes posted:

Actually, I am in the UK, but all my numbers are stored as '+44 781', etc, so it's not a 'first glance' job to distinguish

This particular contact had the following numbers:

Off: +44 870... (one of those special rate landlines)
Mob: +44 780... (standard UK mobile)
Fax: +44 709... (some kind of fax/mobile service?)

So, you can see it is a bit of a hassle if it just lists all three of them without their header.

For that matter, why are landline and fax numbers showing up in an SMS app anyway?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

rolleyes posted:

That leads to another question then: in the US, are you billed differently for calling mobile numbers vs landline numbers? Calls to mobiles here generally cost more, so if you couldn't tell just by looking that a number was for a mobile it'd be pretty poo poo.

No this doesn't happen in the US or Canada, however both ends of the call are charged, not just the person placing the call (which is I believe how it works in a number of places outside of NA). Mostly you just have to worry about long distance charges, calling someone in another area code or out of state -- though these days that's generally less of a worry because most (all?) cell companies treat long distance as any other kind of call, as do a lot of landline packages.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Oh ok, that makes more sense then. And Spog that's a fair point, I hadn't come across a mobile-as-fax number before.

Anyway I'll stop derailing now, I was just curious.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

rolleyes posted:

Oh ok, that makes more sense then. And Spog that's a fair point, I hadn't come across a mobile-as-fax number before.

Anyway I'll stop derailing now, I was just curious.

I'll admit that I am something of an edge case: I have to use the +44,+1, etc country code prefixes, so it is harder to quickly read a number. But still, would be nice if more apps were a bit more intelligent about this.

But then, hell, my latest version of Outlook still insists on listing fax numbers as separate entries in the 'address' window for my email application. Why?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hrm, Any.Do is a nice idea of a task list, but utterly ruined by insisting on supplying its own dictionary. When I'm using the new gesture keyboard, I'm hosed if the predictions turn out wrong.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Having some weird problem with my Llama where it keeps giving me some error message about my security code. I was going to reinstall until I saw this

Why are the boxes greyed out?

Llama's not running, and other programs uninstall / force stop just fine.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Having some weird problem with my Llama where it keeps giving me some error message about my security code. I was going to reinstall until I saw this

Why are the boxes greyed out?

Llama's not running, and other programs uninstall / force stop just fine.

Go into your system settings, security, and then device administrators. It's probably checked in there, which will prevent it from being uninstalled. I don't really know anything about the security code though, sorry I can't help there.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Oddly enough it happened all the time with my wife's Nexus S 4G, but not with my Galaxy Nexus. Either way, its not a problem with Instagram specifically, because you can rotate the image after importing. It gets annoying when sending MMS or emails though.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

gucci mangosteen posted:

Go into your system settings, security, and then device administrators. It's probably checked in there, which will prevent it from being uninstalled. I don't really know anything about the security code though, sorry I can't help there.

Thanks a bunch.

Really I might be doing it wrong, but if anybody can help then that'd be cool.

What I want to do with Llama is to enable a screen lock (pattern) when I leave home.

I have these Events set up in Llama, and it's just not quite working.

Enter home - disable screen lock after an unlock

Left home - enable screen lock

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Thanks a bunch.

Really I might be doing it wrong, but if anybody can help then that'd be cool.

What I want to do with Llama is to enable a screen lock (pattern) when I leave home.

I have these Events set up in Llama, and it's just not quite working.

Enter home - disable screen lock after an unlock

Left home - enable screen lock

What OS are you running? I had a reliable task set up to do that with Tasker, but since I got rid of my Evo and upgraded to the GS3, the same task doesn't work. I suspect there is some permissions issues in newer android that older versions didn't have that causes lockscreen headache.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Medullah posted:

What OS are you running? I had a reliable task set up to do that with Tasker, but since I got rid of my Evo and upgraded to the GS3, the same task doesn't work. I suspect there is some permissions issues in newer android that older versions didn't have that causes lockscreen headache.

Jelly bean.

I'm sure Tasker would probably do all this better, but Llama's free. Maybe I should just get Tasker.

Can Tasker do something like "When leaving home wifi - enable lockscreen"?

One problem I'm having with Llama is that it uses the cell towers, and I live too close to work for it to always be effective. Like right now, I'm at both home and work.

But that's not the same issue really.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Jelly bean.

I'm sure Tasker would probably do all this better, but Llama's free. Maybe I should just get Tasker.

One problem I'm having with Llama is that it uses the cell towers, and I live too close to work for it to always be effective. Like right now, I'm at both home and work.

Tasker has the ability to do all that, but I'm having trouble getting it to work right. That's pretty much exactly the profile I have set up - when connected to my home WiFi, it's supposed to disable the keyguard. And it does, about 90% of the time. But then sometimes it will re-enable...and I haven't narrowed down exactly why yet.

Tasker is an awesome app (there's a full thread on it somewhere) that can do a ton of cool things, but it is a pain in the rear end to use. Not very user friendly. Well worth the purchase price for me though, if for nothing else than the "When at work automatically turn on vibrate" profile.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2012/12/can-smartphone-observations.html

Apparently most modern android phones come with an atmospheric pressure sensor - certain organizations are trying to use that to understand and predict local weather better with realtime crowdsourced data from potentially millions of devices. I think it sounds super cool, and could help us not only have more accurate short-term forcasts, but could expand our understanding of small-scale weather patterns.

There's an app in this link that grabs the data from your phone(hourly, I believe), and puts it on a map that you can view. Pretty neat stuff.

E: 10 minutes by default, but configurable to whatever. I set it to an hour to go easy on my battery.

Taffer fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Jelly bean.

http://kebabapps.blogspot.co.uk/p/faq.html

Have a look at the wifi polling bit, that might help you with the home thing.

It also says that the lockscreen thing is buggy at the moment, so there might not be anything you can do about htat right now

• Locked thread