Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
It's unbelievable there are Methods of Rationality fans in this thread. I've been enamored with the series as a piece of outsider art, but to find it legitimately good is indefensible.

The most egregious detail I can point out is how, whenever the author needs to involve an original idea not from the books, he always uses the most generic phrases possible (Potions of Underwater Action, Cedric the Super Hufflepuff, Chaos regiment, Lucius Gladius, etc.) The prose in general is very poor, particularly the dialogue, though it is much improved from the earliest chapters.

But what makes Methods so awful isn't the writing so much as the subject matter. I don't believe a "deconstruction" of Harry Potter is an innately bad premise, nor do I think writing fiction to teach science concepts is an unworkable idea. If it was handled by a different author, it could be interesting. As it is, the author promotes bad science, and freely mixes his personal pseudoscientific philosophies with legitimate teaching moments.

Rationalist Transhumanism is the laughable ideology of poorly adjusted shut ins overly impressed with their intelligence. Conflating RT as a natural result of understanding science is the underlying premise of Methods, which is an insidious idea to expose to young readers as well as violating the sense of mature readers. The work itself cannot sustain its own ideology, and so the plot and characterization becomes obviously labored and bent to fit the author's intended screed.

I won't even get into the complete subversion of the treatment of death - arguably one of the most important themes of the books. Having Harry snidely demolish the sniveling bitch Dumbledore for believing he wants to die someday was the point it became clear the author had no real love or affection for the heart of the series, just an autistic attachment to the universe's mechanisms. Blatantly autistic, judging from the naked self insertions early on.

To give credit where credit is due, he does manage to pull off a couple humorous scenes - the bit where he attempts to use the Time Turner to brute force math problems was a particular favorite. When he builds his framework for how magic works, he's obviously put some thought into it and has some interesting ideas. And hell, I'll cop to enjoying the idea of Hogwarts Battle Academy. It has its moments, but the whole thing is built on a foundation of sand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Calef posted:

More than a few, since HPMOR is longer than the first three Harry Potter books combined.

Also much better.

Paragon8 posted:

Sounds like you avoided the theoretical debate about raping luna lovegood.

Yeah, much better. Those first 3 books were poo poo without the rapes.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
That fanfic, as I've said before (probably in this thread) is written by and for sociopaths and/or people with aspergers (can't decide which) and the fans of it on this forum are probably one or the other, hope this helps.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...

Hedrigall posted:

That fanfic, as I've said before (probably in this thread) is written by and for sociopaths and/or people with aspergers (can't decide which) and the fans of it on this forum are probably one or the other, hope this helps.

That would certainly explain quite a lot. Thank you. I couldn't figure out why sane people were raping a great series by thinking they could do it better then...oh...um...gee...I don't know...the bloody author of the series. :colbert:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

It seems to be by and for people who hate Harry Potter. It sucks out all the charm and warmth of the series and replaces it with weapons-grade sperg and a liberal dose of smug.

That doesn't even begin to describe the later parts where it turns into Ender's Game But With Harry Potter Characters.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I think it's fun to sperg a bit about Harry Potter and play around with the inconsistencies of the universe a bit as long as you respect the universe. I think the rough concept of Methods of Rationality had promise but as WeaponGradeSadness pointed out that it is so irreverent and distant to the source material it just seems like it branded itself with Harry Potter to get page hits or whatever.

Like I get a fanfic that's like "oh hey what was book 7 like from Neville's perspective" but when you force things like gay draco/harry fic or Snape seducing Hermoinie you cross a line because that's something I feel that would freak out the content creator.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

It seems to be by and for people who hate Harry Potter.
More precisely, these people seem to like the trappings of Harry Potter - the wands and the dog Latin and the boarding school antics and the teen detectiving - but not the stuff that makes Harry Potter really special. I get that sense people write out-of-character fanfiction for much the same reason: they're not really interested in Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy doin' it, they're interested in people who look like Daniel Radcliffe and Tom Felton doin' it. A lot of terrible fanfiction would be mediocre original fiction if people didn't feel the need to make that snarky glasses-wearing guy into Harry Potter.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007
I started on this Methods of Rationality and I have to admit I am hooked. I wouldn't call it good (quite the opposite), but it is interesting. It makes me wonder what the person who wrote it is like. I have a feeling he's the kind of guy who has the whole Dawkins library, with a dog-eared God Delusion but a Selfish Gene that's never been cracked open.

Pththya-lyi posted:

A lot of terrible fanfiction would be mediocre original fiction if people didn't feel the need to make that snarky glasses-wearing guy into Harry Potter.

That's how Cassie Claire makes her living :hehe:

EDIT: This guy! Just got to the point where Harry sees his bank account for the first time, and I wonder if the author talks like this in real life, or just wishes he did. I'm not sure which would be more awful.

furiouskoala fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jul 19, 2012

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
There's a neat discussion in MoR that Harry has with Snape, where Harry tries to psychoanalyze Snape and is super off base and out of his depth (it involves Lilly). That's really the only actually clever scene I remember, though.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

PT6A posted:

I'm pretty sure that he wasn't in the movies, based on the fact there are many Peeves scenes I am sure I would remember, and I can't remember any of them actually happening in the movies.

I actually own all 8 films as a box set and watch them every now and again with the rifftrax, and no, Peeves was definitely never in the films and considering how much poo poo wasn't included anyways, it's really not that noticeable compared to something like Hermione having more than half of Ron's dialogue in most of the films.

Only OotP and DH part 2 are poorer for not including Peeves, really.

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

Danzou posted:

I won't even get into the complete subversion of the treatment of death - arguably one of the most important themes of the books. Having Harry snidely demolish the sniveling bitch Dumbledore for believing he wants to die someday was the point it became clear the author had no real love or affection for the heart of the series, just an autistic attachment to the universe's mechanisms. Blatantly autistic, judging from the naked self insertions early on.

While I sort of ideologically disagree with other things you said in your post, it wouldn't be productive to get into that argument. However, I do feel like pointing out that Yudkowsky clearly and intentionally writes Harry as a very poorly adjusted, angry, narcissistic boy. This, in turn, is due to the fact that Harry is more or less explicitly presented as a botched copy of Tom Riddle, or, perhaps, what Tom Riddle would have been like if he were raised by good parents. Harry has Voldemort's paralyzing fear of death, his manipulative streak, and his inability to accept losing. This is all pretty heavily implied to be because of what happened when he was a baby, and it is not usually portrayed as "good."

The fact that Yudkowsky's Harry does have an impulse to help others and to do good is what makes him a good-hearted but flawed character, instead of being, well, a Dark Wizard.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I am thinking about buying all 7 Harry Potter books. i never really read them. I found the paper back edition for 76 euro's and the hardback edition for 110 euro's.

I intend to re read these books every few years. They will only be put on my shelf and i like to read while lying on my bed.

Which edition should i buy?

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Sefal posted:

I am thinking about buying all 7 Harry Potter books. i never really read them. I found the paper back edition for 76 euro's and the hardback edition for 110 euro's.

I intend to re read these books every few years. They will only be put on my shelf and i like to read while lying on my bed.

The hardbacks are going to hold up better and will look nicer on the shelf, but the later books can be pretty heavy and unwieldy to read in bed (oh man, the memories of staying up to all hours reading those drat books on release night :3: )

It really depends on whether you prefer durability and "looks nice on the shelf" or comfort.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Sefal posted:

The hardback ones kind of hurt when you start to nod off and drop them on your face. On the other hand, this wakes you up and reminds you to put the book on the nightstand so you don't roll over on it in your sleep. I'm not kidding here.

Even if you don't fall asleep while reading, the hardbacks are still much more durable and will stand up to several re-readings.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I think i will go with hardback edition. Thank you guys. I would prefer durability.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Those prices seem awfully high. Do you have a local amazon? I can find a set on .co.uk for around 40 euros

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Paragon8 posted:

Those prices seem awfully high. Do you have a local amazon? I can find a set on .co.uk for around 40 euros

I checked my local city for the prices and it was 10 euro's per paperback and 20 euro's per hardcover.

I ordered this one
http://www.bol.com/nl/p/harry-potter-hardback-boxed-set/1001004005450704/#product_judgement

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
JK Rowling interview: http://insider.pottermore.com/2012/10/watch-jk-rowling-answer-harry-potter.html (nothing very exciting, but it's all about Potter, not her new book)

She also does a reading from the first book, and I realised that Mr Ollivander has Asperger's Syndrome. He obsesses over wand lengths and cores, and whenever he sees someone he knows he just obsessively lists specifications about their wand. Very socially awkward.

edit: Also i think that was the first time I'd heard JK Rowling do Hagrid's voice. It's adorable :3: Partway between the accent Robbie Coltrane does in the movies and Sam in LOTR.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Oct 18, 2012

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

What are they complaining about today? Fucking shithole of a city. Whining bastards, bitching about the trash or the crime or this or that.
I finally did the Pottermore thing just to get sorted. I'm a Slytherin, which was a bit of a surprise after assuming myself to be a Ravenclaw for twelve years, but I can't argue with it.

If there ever were a sequel or EU or anything I'd want it to be about the Auror Office. You can still have Harry in it as he's the head and all, but mostly about the Auror squad. Basically what I'm saying is I want wizarding Law and Order.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

Waffle Ho posted:

I finally did the Pottermore thing just to get sorted. I'm a Slytherin, which was a bit of a surprise after assuming myself to be a Ravenclaw for twelve years, but I can't argue with it.

If there ever were a sequel or EU or anything I'd want it to be about the Auror Office. You can still have Harry in it as he's the head and all, but mostly about the Auror squad. Basically what I'm saying is I want wizarding Law and Order.

In the wizarding world criminal justice system, the people represented by two separate but equally important groups -- The Aurors who investigate dark wizards, and the Wizengamot that prosecutes the offenders. These are their stories.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

njbeachbum posted:

In the wizarding world criminal justice system, the people represented by two separate but equally important groups -- The Aurors who investigate dark wizards, and the Wizengamot that prosecutes the offenders. These are their stories.

This simply reminds me of that April Fool's joke where FX created a fake commercial for an Auror's television show. :(

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

This simply reminds me of that April Fool's joke where FX created a fake commercial for an Auror's television show. :(

I still really want to see that TV show :smith:

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
I've always thought that the biggest problem with the Harry Potter movies is that you can't read them.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

reflir posted:

I've always thought that the biggest problem with the Harry Potter movies is that you can't read them.
Look at this idiot. He has absolutely no idea that fans have been able to read the films for years and years now. Subtitles, duh!

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

If subtitles were movies you'd create an infinite regress.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I feel like even though this could have totally been awful, it actually had some potential to be good too. :(

PastaSky
Dec 15, 2009

furiouskoala posted:

I started on this Methods of Rationality and I have to admit I am hooked. I wouldn't call it good (quite the opposite), but it is interesting. It makes me wonder what the person who wrote it is like. I have a feeling he's the kind of guy who has the whole Dawkins library, with a dog-eared God Delusion but a Selfish Gene that's never been cracked open.

Hes actually anything but. He has written a lot on philosophy (a lot of non-standard stuff though) and hardly ever discusses atheism/religion. He considers it a sort of forgone conclusion. When he does discuss it he is far more concerned with what causes religious beliefs in society/people.

This should give you a general idea of his views:

http://wiki.lesswrong.com/wiki/Atheism

DarkUltim8Hedgehog
Dec 5, 2012

Waffle Ho posted:

Congratulations. I'm a bit of the opposite... I automatically assumed I was a Slytherin for many years due to my, aherm, somewhat evil tendencies. However, Sorting Hat said Ravenclaw.

Perhaps it's to my advantage... No one expects a mighty dark wizard to emerge from Ravenclaw's tower. :mufasa:

Placenta_Souffle
Dec 30, 2010

finga lickin good
I was originally put into Hufflepuff, even though I wanted Ravenclaw. However, I had a spare account so I got sorted into Slytherin... Seems quite apt, really! Love Slytherin now.

My fanart: Look at Me.
with Snape and Harry
http://sabenerica.deviantart.com/art/Look-At-Me-331799507

Art for the sake of making art.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
For years, I thought I was a Ravenclaw because I'm a huge nerd who attaches an almost sacred significance to learning for its own sake. I even got Sorted into Ravenclaw when I joined an LJ Harry Potter community, all based on my answers to the community's Sorting questionnaire. Even though I'm a bleeding heart, I thought I was a poor fit for Hufflepuff because I'm so lazy. But apparently my desire to help people and be a good person overwhelms my lazy braniac tendencies, at least in the Sorting Hat's eyes (folds?).

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

Pththya-lyi posted:

For years, I thought I was a Ravenclaw because I'm a huge nerd who attaches an almost sacred significance to learning for its own sake. I even got Sorted into Ravenclaw when I joined an LJ Harry Potter community, all based on my answers to the community's Sorting questionnaire. Even though I'm a bleeding heart, I thought I was a poor fit for Hufflepuff because I'm so lazy. But apparently my desire to help people and be a good person overwhelms my lazy braniac tendencies, at least in the Sorting Hat's eyes (folds?).

The problem is that Hufflepuff isn't defined at all except they are "loyal" and apparently where all the unsortable kids go. I feel like JK needed a fourth house, she had good, evil, and smart, and she needed the fourth house for the "other kids".

I will say that that the one fan fiction story (Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness) does a much better job of describing hufflepuff's strengths than JK did.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

njbeachbum posted:

The problem is that Hufflepuff isn't defined at all except they are "loyal" and apparently where all the unsortable kids go.
Also, they are particularly good finders.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I'm a Hufflepuff on Pottermore. :smithicide:

If I had to characterize Hufflepuffs, I'd say they're the sort of people who always think of the good of the group, whereas Gryffindors seem to have an individualistic streak and Slytherins and Ravenclaws don't seem to care about that.

DarkUltim8Hedgehog
Dec 5, 2012

njbeachbum posted:

I will say that that the one fan fiction story (Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness) does a much better job of describing hufflepuff's strengths than JK did.

Now you've caught my interest. Do you have a link to this fiction, assuming it's free to read?

I once referred to fanfiction as "a lot of pointless rabble" in a fit of anger... Perhaps I will eat my words.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

First make sure to look up what rabble means and then ask yourself whether it applies to people or to words.

The defining characteristic of Hufflepuff is diligence, by the way.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

reflir posted:

First make sure to look up what rabble means and then ask yourself whether it applies to people or to words.
According to Merriam-Webster it can apply to either.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

If you count words as things your ontology is hosed up.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness.
It's pretty interesting, but can be a little overly grimdark in places.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

zachol posted:

Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness.
It's pretty interesting, but can be a little overly grimdark in places.

It doesn't help that the author is apparently a psychopathic scammer. Allegedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

VanSandman posted:

It doesn't help that the author is apparently a psychopathic scammer. Allegedly.

I dunno, I never found the accusations particularly believable. No matter the truth, it doesn't affect the story, anyway. (I enjoyed it quite a lot, grimdark or no)

• Locked thread