Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
The Yakuza 1+ 2 HD Asia version is significantly cheaper than the Japanese version. I'm fine buying that one, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

gameday posted:

The Yakuza 1+ 2 HD Asia version is significantly cheaper than the Japanese version. I'm fine buying that one, right?
Should be, they are typically exactly the same software, just the manuals and stuff are in Chinese and/or English.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There's this weird cognitive dissonance in this series. The custcenes are largely full of quiet moments and pregnant pauses. Then when you wander the bright city, guys want to punch you every twenty feet. It's weird.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

There's this weird cognitive dissonance in this series. The custcenes are largely full of quiet moments and pregnant pauses. Then when you wander the bright city, guys want to punch you every twenty feet. It's weird.
That's a good point actually, how come this disconnect bothers me in GTA but not here, when it's pretty much the same thing? I guess I just like this game better overall and can shrug off that part.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I really can't wait until the English localization of Yakuza 5 and I regret abandoning my Japanese studies. I wish they would release the HD 1 & 2 here ASAP to tie me over.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Would they even bother porting Yakuza 1/2 HD over to the west?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ryuga Death posted:

Would they even bother porting Yakuza 1/2 HD over to the west?
It would be weird having one dubbed game and one subbed game together in the same package, just for that reason they may not.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Samurai Sanders posted:

It would be weird having one dubbed game and one subbed game together in the same package, just for that reason they may not.

They don't necessarily have to use the NA cuts, though. I'm pretty sure they had subtitle files, so just bring those over to the HD Japanese version, maybe change a few Fumas back to Kazamas and such.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's a good point actually, how come this disconnect bothers me in GTA but not here, when it's pretty much the same thing? I guess I just like this game better overall and can shrug off that part.

I always saw the cutscenes as the brief respites from the macho man punching. Except for the scenes where you punch people.

Karthe posted:

My copy of Yakuza 4 arrived today in the mail. This will be the first Yakuza game I've ever played - I think it's a beat-em-up? :v: Is there anything I should know before I fire it up?

In every chapter, part 3 is usually where you can run around and do the side things. Parts 1 and 2 are usually introductions or mechanics tutorials, and Part 4 is usually the climactic battle for that chapter. Don't worry about missing anything though, after beating the game you can run around and do whatever you want with any of the main characters.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Watching that demo for 5, I'm surprised that Kazuma would even attempt to hide his identity at this point. The man has practically beat up half the population of Japan by 2010(?) and that number will only increase with every game. Hell, he's likely the real reason why the nation has a shrinking population. There are at least 2 generations of Yakuza who have some sort of scar or permanent injury thanks to Kazuma Kiryu.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Static Rook posted:

Don't worry about missing anything though, after beating the game you can run around and do whatever you want with any of the main characters.

Except for the "Buy All Hostess Clothes" trophy. That one is missable for that run if you finish the mini-game without doing it.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Crabtree posted:

Watching that demo for 5, I'm surprised that Kazuma would even attempt to hide his identity at this point. The man has practically beat up half the population of Japan by 2010(?) and that number will only increase with every game. Hell, he's likely the real reason why the nation has a shrinking population. There are at least 2 generations of Yakuza who have some sort of scar or permanent injury thanks to Kazuma Kiryu.
Considering how many people want to pick a fight with him, no, most people do not know who Kiriyu Kazuma is.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Karthe posted:

My copy of Yakuza 4 arrived today in the mail. This will be the first Yakuza game I've ever played - I think it's a beat-em-up? :v: Is there anything I should know before I fire it up?

After a cut scene has really affected you, find a hostess bar ASAP and experience the tonal dissonance in all of its glory. Then, go get some batting practice in. Why not fish? Beat up a few mooks along the way. Stop at a restaurant for a quick bite. After that relax at the massage parlor or maybe challenge your mind with some shogi. You're in for a magical trip my friend.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

gameday posted:

Does this package have English language subs in it?

I've never played the original 1 or 2.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

jammu posted:

Does this package have English language subs in it?

I've never played the original 1 or 2.
Almost certainly not.

edit: a few Japanese version games (or Asian, since they are exactly the same software) have English support, but those are typically games that don't have very much to translate anyway, relatively short and not wordy action games such as Bayonetta and stuff. That is absolutely not the case for Yakuza though.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Dec 1, 2012

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Translations do already exist for both games though, but yeah, I doubt it includes them.

There's a rumor Sega is bringing the HD ports to America with individual PSN releases, so hopefully with Sega focusing a lot on rereleases of older games recently they'll find the cost of reimplementing the old translation worth it. Would love an English release of Yakuza 1 that lets you choose the Japanese audio, and I don't need much of an incentive to double-dip on Yakuza 2.

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 1, 2012

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

They probably pick a fight with Kazuma thinking that the legends behind him aren't true, "no way he beat up two tigers" or "he doesn't use motorcycles as weapons".

The problem for those poor bastards is that all the legends about him are true.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Huh, that's not exactly how I interpreted that conversation, to me it was more like "that business looks clean on the outside but girls get sucked in, and it changes them. There's no way I'd let my daughter enter that life".

Anyway, for the purposes of the game, I doubt that Haruka had to do anything dirty (in the ruining her perfect pretty girl image) to START, but there will be forces that will try to get that result later on. But I'm mostly going off my memory of the movie Perfect Blue here.

I'm assuming that's how Akiyami is going to be intro'ed. Sleazy agent/yakuza dude starts pressing the issue, Haruka tries to pull away, he gets rough, then WHAMWHAMWHAMWHAM, kicks to the face and junk.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Translations do already exist for both games though, but yeah, I doubt it includes them.

There's a rumor Sega is bringing the HD ports to America with individual PSN releases, so hopefully with Sega focusing a lot on rereleases of older games recently they'll find the cost of reimplementing the old translation worth it. Would love an English release of Yakuza 1 that lets you choose the Japanese audio, and I don't need much of an incentive to double-dip on Yakuza 2.

It's been said over and over but I would love to get a disc release of Yakuza 1/2. I'm not as wild on PSN releases as some people are, and it'd be nice to have Yakuza 1-5 all on one console, with very scratch resistant bluray discs.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Are there any translated interviews with the game's writers? I'd love to see what the source inspiration for some of these stories and scenes are--do they refer heavily to gangster movies? Interview actual Yakuza? Avoid them entirely to keep their voice fresh? I dunno, it'd be great to have some kind of Inside the Writer's Studio with the Yakuza team, find out what makes these scripts work.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I know there are interviews with Jake Adelstein where he says at least that the real life basis for the stories of 3 and 4 are. If you search around you should find them. At the very least you will find other interesting stuff from him.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
There's this thing: http://boingboing.net/2010/08/10/yakuza-3-review.html

Jake's said Saejima's ramen incident was based on a real-life occurrence too.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm guessing no, but is there any way to get a PS2 Taiko drum to work with the Taiko minigame in 5?

Edit: The Rock Band drum kit works fine though!

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 2, 2012

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
The Taiko drum is just a remapped ps2 controller, right? If that's the case then a ps2 to ps3 controller adapter off ebay will probably work.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Looks like Play-Asia is gearing up for shipping soon. Charged my credit card but I didn't have enough in it. Cancelled it anyways because the Japanese edition seems to be a good deal more expensive than the Asian one.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Whoa, what? Is there a difference between the Japanese and Asia versions? I pre-ordered the Japanese one a couple months ago and don't remember seeing the other one on there.

Edit: And apparently they charged me months ago and deleted my account. :wtc:

Bocc Kob fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 2, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bocc Kob posted:

Whoa, what? Is there a difference between the Japanese and Asia versions? I pre-ordered the Japanese one a couple months ago and don't remember seeing the other one on there.
The manuals and packaging for Asia version games are typically in Chinese and sometimes English as well. The software is always the same as far as I know (except for being attached to the Hong Kong PS store for DLC and stuff, instead of the Japanese).

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Zettace posted:

The Taiko drum is just a remapped ps2 controller, right? If that's the case then a ps2 to ps3 controller adapter off ebay will probably work.
Yeah, I've got an adapter but it doesn't work here, presumably because it's not being recognized as controller 1. Not sure if there's any way around that.

I played it using the Taiko sticks on my Rock Band set instead because I'm a huge nerd.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
Holy poo poo. Did they just make all of Kazuma's heat moves even more life ending than previously?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, I couldn't play more than five minutes of Dead Souls. I'm sorry, game. I know you want me to like you but, uh....not happening.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

Man, I couldn't play more than five minutes of Dead Souls. I'm sorry, game. I know you want me to like you but, uh....not happening.
Yeah, I felt the same way just with the demo. It was obvious from the very first instant I moved my character that they went into this game with zero experience making shooters.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hana confirmed to be in Yakuza 5 by her voice actress. :dance:

Some more videos posted by Sega:
All about the hostess clubs
Some of the side-missions for each character
Did you forget what happened in the previous Yakuza games? Here are 20 minute summaries of each game.

Here is the trophy list for Yakuza 5.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
There's a trophy for buying an anime plastered car. I don't know what to say.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zettace posted:

There's a trophy for buying an anime plastered car. I don't know what to say.

Have you already forgot the most important lesson? A key part of being yakuza is style :getin:

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

I'm assuming that's how Akiyami is going to be intro'ed. Sleazy agent/yakuza dude starts pressing the issue, Haruka tries to pull away, he gets rough, then WHAMWHAMWHAMWHAM, kicks to the face and junk.

It was never going to happen, but I really wish she'd be doing some combat. :sigh:

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!
Game is out on the 6th right? I paid down a few months back to a company on Ebay... Here's hoping they honour my purchase. I'm so nervous! :o

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I know it's a longshot but goddamn I would love Sega forever if they would MAN UP and put 1+2 HD on the PSN.

I finally got around to watching Miike's Yakuza film last night. It was pretty good, but the whole time I kept thinking "This isn't as good as Beat Takeshi's (non-video-game yakuza) films".

Kazuma, Haruka and especially Goro were perfectly cast, though.

Would have murdered someone to get Yama-P as Akiyama in it, maybe for a sequel?

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I really don't understand Miike's movie adaptations of video games. Watching the Yakuza and Phoenix Wright movies, he gets tons of details exactly perfect so you know he's studied every part of the games he's adapting. Then he tosses in some pointless or unrelated bits that mess up the flow and diminish the overall quality for me. Though that's happened in most of the Japanese movies I've seen and I really have no idea why. :confused:

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I think Miike wanted to remake Dog Day Afternoon and also had a script about two young criminal lovers, but the only way he could get funding was through Sega, who wanted him to make a Ryu ga Gotoku movie.

My DVD translates Kazuma's name as Ryu, and it bugs the crap out of me, especially since everyone else's name is right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Ximum posted:

I think Miike wanted to remake Dog Day Afternoon and also had a script about two young criminal lovers, but the only way he could get funding was through Sega, who wanted him to make a Ryu ga Gotoku movie.

My DVD translates Kazuma's name as Ryu, and it bugs the crap out of me, especially since everyone else's name is right.

My friend and I watched the yakuza movie a few months back and spent some time wondering about the inclusion of those two side stories. We finally decided that it was a way to show that the events in the movie aren't really out of the ordinary in Kamurocho; the movie is showing an average Tuesday or something. It's just that Kamurocho is the sort of place where crazy poo poo happens all the time and sometimes the yakuza are in the middle of it and sometimes they aren't.

• Locked thread