Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Superconsndar posted:

I guess people can do what they want, but I don't get why anyone would want a screwed up rescued pit bull that bit people. For all they spend on his retarded diet and team of people and valium, they could rescue like 10 pit bulls who DON'T eat faces. I understand it being ~your dog~ or whatever but this just makes me really cranky.

It's Ira Glass's dog. If it weren't insanely neurotic, over-medicated, and an enormously huge jaw-dropping emblem of ~white people problems~... Then it just wouldn't be right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

My landlords just found the cutest most friendly black and white kitten on our property. She must have been dumped because she loooooves people. There isnt anything ferile about her. We have a barn and a stream so I can see how people would dump a kitten around here I guess. I want to keep her but we have a tiny house and 1 dog and 1 cat already and my boyfriend is refusing. He thinks it'll upset the friendly harmony we have with the creatures we already have.

We are going to ask around and see if anyone wants a kitten and the landlord has her set up in his hoop house with his firewood and a blanket and is feeding her, so she's fine for now. Our cat is named Gravity and our dog is Orbit and our landlord says this cat should be Galaxy. :3:

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
I threw out my back a little while ago. I'm currently stuck on the floor of the foyer of my house waiting to recover enough to drag myself over to my bed. Quaffle is taking advantage of this by standing over me, staring into my eyes from about two inches away, and demanding I pet him. If I don't he plants a paw in the middle of my chest and howls. Dammit Quaffle I thought dogs were supposed to be helpful when their owners were in pain! Go get me some Doritos or something.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I'm sorry about your back, but the image you posting from the floor while a dog sits and yells on your chest is killing me.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Fraction posted:

~Johnson bulldog puppy*~

Well this is a new one. What makes a bulldog Johnson?

insert penis joke here

insert joke about instertion here

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Oh god I don't know is that the correct term :catstare:

Friend's bf was having a very mini kind of sperg about the dog. I'm sure he said she's a Johnson bulldog but not an Ambully which was just kind of confusing. I'm probs picking her up for walks tomorrow so I'll take some pics to see.

Anything's that not a terrier or collie confuses me quite a lot for ID.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Update: shortly after I posted the above he gave up, went to lay against the wall near me, and farted. When I finally managed to drag myself down the hallway to my bedroom, he repeatedly walked in front of me and laid down, blocking my path. This is the worst dog.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

American bulldogs come in "Johnson" lines which have English bulldog bred in and look a lot like American bullies, and "Scott" or standard lines which look more like pits and like they can actually breathe/function. There are probably more types but those are just the ones I see most often out here in hillbilly country.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Yeah he was mentioning something about english bulldogs. Unless she's an Old Tyme EB? I don't even know bulldogs are weeeeeeird

I could have sworn he mentioned johnson but now I'm double guessing myself.

e: I just looked at my past posts itt and apparently I was told she's a Dorset Old Tyme Bulldog. Really hope she grows up to be fairly moderate, she's such a cute little chubster at the moment.

Fraction fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 2, 2012

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

PI tends to talk about how Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers are rare (see recent post in PI Confessions, among many others) but today on my walk I saw 5 of them, owned by 4 different people. I also saw about 3 yesterday. I think people are pulling my leg when they say they're rare.

Also on my walk, I saw the tallest Malamute I've ever seen. It was as high as a Great Dane. And I can say that with conviction since it was walking with a Great Dane, and matched its height at the withers. gently caress he was tall and gangly. Also very sweet.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

a life less posted:

PI tends to talk about how Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers are rare (see recent post in PI Confessions, among many others) but today on my walk I saw 5 of them, owned by 4 different people. I also saw about 3 yesterday. I think people are pulling my leg when they say they're rare.

Yeah, it can be pretty regional. I mentioned in the mutt thread ages ago about how one looked like a shar pei mix, but people said no way, they're too rare. But I've seen a ton of puppy milled shar peis come into the shelter, so I dunno man.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Superconsndar posted:

I guess people can do what they want, but I don't get why anyone would want a screwed up rescued pit bull that bit people. For all they spend on his retarded diet and team of people and valium, they could rescue like 10 pit bulls who DON'T eat faces. I understand it being ~your dog~ or whatever but this just makes me really cranky.

This is funny to me, coming from the owner of a meltdown-waiting-to-happen dog. Is there a point where Moses's insanity would be too much to handle, and you'd consider that you could take care of 3 moderately sane dogs in the time and effort it takes to care for Moses? (I'm assuming he's on a normal diet and decently healthy, of course)

Then again, I regularly clean bird poo poo off of everything I own, so I'm my own special brand of crazy.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

Pile of Kittens posted:

This is funny to me, coming from the owner of a meltdown-waiting-to-happen dog. Is there a point where Moses's insanity would be too much to handle, and you'd consider that you could take care of 3 moderately sane dogs in the time and effort it takes to care for Moses? (I'm assuming he's on a normal diet and decently healthy, of course)

Then again, I regularly clean bird poo poo off of everything I own, so I'm my own special brand of crazy.

Everyone's situation differs, but IMO DA is much easier to manage than human aggression. A bite record of six says to me that Ira isn't really up to managing his special snowflake all that well. The dog should not be put in that position, and if his handlers/ owners are not capable of determining when that is... it's a little :psyduck: to me too.

vvvvv Edit: They look ecstatic, congrats!

Ishkibibble_Fish fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 3, 2012

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

I signed the lease for the new house today! The landlord wanted to meet the dogs so Eva and Angus got to explore the new place! The landlord loves them, she herself has a pit bull "flunkie" from the Pits for Patriots program that failed because he couldn't walk past another dog without trying to play with it despite training.

Here are Angus and Eva in their new yard.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Superconsndar posted:

I kept thinking "I hope Super doesn't listen to NPR" while listening to the show. The part that really got me was just how in denial Ira was about the dog being in any way a problem, especially the human aggression when it was directed toward Ira or his wife. Also amusing was that Piney had achieved some sort of mythic status in the studio because they never saw the dog but were constantly exposed to evidence of the special needs it has.

kaworu posted:

It's Ira Glass's dog. If it weren't insanely neurotic, over-medicated, and an enormously huge jaw-dropping emblem of ~white people problems~... Then it just wouldn't be right.

It really is fitting when you put it that way. It just needs some facial markings to give it the look or horn-rimmed glasses and it would be perfect.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Pile of Kittens posted:

Moses doesn't bite people. :colbert: I can deal with existential meltdowns 24/7 as long as he lashes out at Frankie and not people.

Also he doesn't have little bitch baby white person dog "feed me only the finest imported kangaroo meat" food allergies. Wheat makes him itchy, I feed him a piece of bread, he scratches for a while and then gets over it.

Maybe I could slip him one of my xanax sometime, though, and see if his feelings change about cats.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Superconsndar posted:

Also he doesn't have little bitch baby white person dog

If I ever get Moses for PISS he's getting a chain (not a tie out chain), gold caps for his fangs and rims.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If I ever get Moses for PISS he's getting a chain (not a tie out chain), gold caps for his fangs and rims.

racist

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010
I'm not sure this is the right place for this image, but I HAD to share, and I don't know where else to put it!
I have no words....... :supaburn:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Would put that in my house.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Superconsndar posted:

Would put that in my house.

Agreed. There IS a word for that, and it's Amazing!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

In Texas that sculpture or an equivalent comes standard with all dwellings. I think it is state housing code.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Shifty Pony posted:

This American Life had a section this morning which was basically a discussion of the life of Piney, a rescued pit who belongs to host Ira Glass and his wife. The whole thing is concentrated :psyduck:

Piney has a restricted ingredient diet, and develops allergies to any food he's on for a while, so after a few months they have to switch the protein and starch. That's not too odd and he has been on rabbit (which was $80 per week), bison, and even kangaroo. What is strange is that these all get delivered to the studio and seriously weirds out other people working there. When it comes to behavior, Piney has issues. Piney has anxiety problems and cannot be looked at without freaking out, despite being on Valium. Piney has bitten six people, not including his owners (but including two children at a wedding). His owners insist on calling what he does "nipping" despite it drawing blood. Nobody can visit their apartment because of Piney. In short Piney really needs to be on a desert island stocked with one of each kind of edible animal and starch source, not in NYC.

He is pretty cute though.

I'm sorry but a dog with a bite history (from a breed that gets a bad rap for HA regardless of if it is correct or actually a problem or not), especially one that extensive and super special dietary needs probably should just be euthed. The biting is the main issue, but how uncomfortable must the dog be due to allergies and also anxiety? What kind of quality of life is that.

I already can't stand the format of his show and this sort of cements it for me.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Who martyrs their quality of life for a dog that bites them. Badly. gently caress that.

I could MAYBE understand if it was anxious of everyone but its owners, but it doesn't even feel comfortable around them.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

As far as I remember from the blog Ira doesn't actually know that much about dogs, and his wife is the one who does most of Piney's care. So she gets to put in the work of (poorly) managing the dog's issues and Ira gets to do a radio show about how conflicted and noble he is. But, wow, that episode. Maybe in the blog she just glossed over the worst parts of Piney's aggression and anxiety, because I was under the impression that it was more manageable at home than it is. Because holy poo poo. There are tons of non-biting special needs dogs they could adopt, and with their income and the potential for exposure I'm sure rescues would kill to adopt a dog to them.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Wheats posted:

As far as I remember from the blog Ira doesn't actually know that much about dogs, and his wife is the one who does most of Piney's care. So she gets to put in the work of (poorly) managing the dog's issues and Ira gets to do a radio show about how conflicted and noble he is. But, wow, that episode. Maybe in the blog she just glossed over the worst parts of Piney's aggression and anxiety, because I was under the impression that it was more manageable at home than it is. Because holy poo poo. There are tons of non-biting special needs dogs they could adopt, and with their income and the potential for exposure I'm sure rescues would kill to adopt a dog to them.

But you see Piney is SPECIAL and DIFFICULT and don't you see how they've sacrificed so much for their sad, nervous, itchy, IBS dog?

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

I just want to know how many people he has to bite before they do something, because it clearly isn't six.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

a life less posted:

I would assume they are more popular in Canada.

my dog's breeder is in Calgary. There are actually a few decent breeders in California though. I know a couple of other people here who have them (including one girl in the class below me at school).

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 3, 2012

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
This is my dog Duke:

When he urinates he kicks his feet back a bunch of times like he is trying to cover it up, like a cat uses the litter box. He a dog not a catte though...

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Wheats posted:

I just want to know how many people he has to bite before they do something, because it clearly isn't six.

I fear that number is the number that it takes for a judge to order the Piney euthanized. I wonder how they manage to get insurance.

dogsupremacy posted:

This is my dog Duke:

When he urinates he kicks his feet back a bunch of times like he is trying to cover it up, like a cat uses the litter box. He a dog not a catte though...

It is just him marking the area, supposedly. Dogs have scent glands in their feet so wiping their feet like that helps mark the area. Other people think it is to leave a more physical mark of their presence similar to how some animals will make scrapes on the ground. I think he's just really excited about peeing and is showing off to the world.

Be glad he doesn't do it with poo because I've seen dogs launch a turd a good 15-20 feet doing it.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

I fear that number is the number that it takes for a judge to order the Piney euthanized. I wonder how they manage to get insurance.

It is just him marking the area, supposedly. Dogs have scent glands in their feet so wiping their feet like that helps mark the area. Other people think it is to leave a more physical mark of their presence similar to how some animals will make scrapes on the ground. I think he's just really excited about peeing and is showing off to the world.

Be glad he doesn't do it with poo because I've seen dogs launch a turd a good 15-20 feet doing it.

My dog does that with poo. He does it all the time and gets poo poo on his feet. :suicide:

I didn't know there was a reason, I just thought it's because he's a boston and they're all retarded as hell.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

There was a red Boston at the dog park today and it was a very smart dog because it kept coming over to say hi to me.

He was super cute and only 5 months old, and kept launching himself at my face. Bad dog :3:

ruarc
Oct 22, 2008

what
I don't know if this fits here, but I feel like I will explode if I don't share it. It's been all over our local news for a couple weeks:

http://www.kxii.com/home/headlines/The-search-for-Lucy-Sparkles-181641051.html

Why does someone have a pet kangaroo? How does someone even acquire one in Oklahoma? Though admittedly, I hope she's found. :ohdear:

Josie
Apr 26, 2007

With tales of brave Ulysses; how his naked ears were tortured; By the sirens sweetly singing.

ruarc posted:

I don't know if this fits here, but I feel like I will explode if I don't share it. It's been all over our local news for a couple weeks:

http://www.kxii.com/home/headlines/The-search-for-Lucy-Sparkles-181641051.html

Why does someone have a pet kangaroo? How does someone even acquire one in Oklahoma? Though admittedly, I hope she's found. :ohdear:

I want to know what heartbreakroken means!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
All I know is I'm naming my next pet Lucy Sparkles irrespective of gender or species or attitude.

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
Does anyone know where to order doggles??

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Literally the first hit on Google for doggles:
http://www.doggles.com/

WolfensteinBag posted:

So, does anyone who actually has a GSD want to start a breed post? Because I can throw together something of one if you guys want, but might be better coming from someone who actually owns a GSD. :downs:

Also, :effort:

I can put one together later today if no one else feels like doing it. A general herding thread might be more useful though.

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 3, 2012

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012

Triangulum posted:

Literally the first hit on Google for doggles:
http://www.doggles.com/

I meant can anyone recommended a doggles supplier excuse me...

Mean Bean
Jan 19, 2012

My blood type is Folgers.

dogsupremacy posted:

I meant can anyone recommended a doggles supplier excuse me...

What do you mean by supplier? That website is the supplier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

adventure in the sandbox posted:

There was a red Boston at the dog park today and it was a very smart dog because it kept coming over to say hi to me.

He was super cute and only 5 months old, and kept launching himself at my face. Bad dog :3:

One day: Red Boston. Hurry up and get old and die Frankie, so I can get a red Boston. I saw one in a hellish pet store a couple of months ago and it was all hosed up and retarded and I said "hi red Boston. Someday." Red boston name: Bacon.

• Locked thread