Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SaxMaverick
Jun 9, 2005

The stuff of nightmares
Hey Trin:

Isn't this technically grounding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

SaxMaverick posted:

Hey Trin:

Isn't this technically grounding?

The first word of the penalty is "intentional" so probably not.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
He wasn't facing imminent pressure from the defense.

SaxMaverick
Jun 9, 2005

The stuff of nightmares

JesustheDarkLord posted:

He wasn't facing imminent pressure from the defense.

With Dallas's line, he could 40 miles away from the game and he'd still be under imminent pressure, but yeah, this answer makes too much sense.

Hell, watching that its a good thing that pass went the way it did. Not sure what route Miles was running but he turned inside on it and if that's where Romo was throwing, that has pick six written all over it.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

SaxMaverick posted:

With Dallas's line, he could 40 miles away from the game and he'd still be under imminent pressure, but yeah, this answer makes too much sense.

Hell, watching that its a good thing that pass went the way it did. Not sure what route Miles was running but he turned inside on it and if that's where Romo was throwing, that has pick six written all over it.

He could've floated it over the defensive back and made it a jump ball but Miles would've been stopped short of the goal line and time probably would've expired before they could line up and spike it.

SaxMaverick
Jun 9, 2005

The stuff of nightmares

Declan MacManus posted:

He could've floated it over the defensive back and made it a jump ball but Miles would've been stopped short of the goal line and time probably would've expired before they could line up and spike it.

It's Romo. Had it come out correctly it would've been

1) The greatest TD pass you have ever seen
2) The most hilarious interception or throw short of the line you have ever seen.

I don't get mad at Dallas losing anymore. They are, hands down, the most entertaining football team in the league.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

SaxMaverick posted:

It's Romo. Had it come out correctly it would've been

1) The greatest TD pass you have ever seen
2) The most hilarious interception or throw short of the line you have ever seen.

I don't get mad at Dallas losing anymore. They are, hands down, the most entertaining football team in the league.
Don't forget the most beautiful TD pass ever called back because the receiver's towel lands out of bounds before his second foot touches down. Or hair. Something new after Bryant's fingers were out of bounds.

edit: Something like this to take away the TD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCXUBNYbVLk

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 21, 2012

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
So I was watching the Seahawks blow another game they should've won today, and the play I want to talk about was the roughing the passer penalty that Earl Thomas got when Bobby Wagner picked off a Tannehill pass in the end zone that would've ended a game-tying drive. Why exactly was Thomas called for this penalty? I thought that the main thing they were cracking on was helmet-to-helmet hits, and Thomas didn't hit Tannehill with his helmet at all. All it looked like was a bit of arm contact up high. What are the rules on roughing the passer penalties?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Pungry posted:

So I was watching the Seahawks blow another game they should've won today, and the play I want to talk about was the roughing the passer penalty that Earl Thomas got when Bobby Wagner picked off a Tannehill pass in the end zone that would've ended a game-tying drive. Why exactly was Thomas called for this penalty? I thought that the main thing they were cracking on was helmet-to-helmet hits, and Thomas didn't hit Tannehill with his helmet at all. All it looked like was a bit of arm contact up high. What are the rules on roughing the passer penalties?

Roughing the passer includes any blows to the passer's head or neck from any part of the defender, and it's a specific point of emphasis over the past couple of years so any hit that goes high is going to be an easy penalty.

quote:

HITS TO PASSER’S HEAD AND USE OF HELMET AND FACEMASK
(3) In covering the passer position, Referees will be particularly alert to fouls in which defenders impermissibly use the helmet and/or facemask to hit the passer, or use hands, arms, or other parts of the body to hit the passer forcibly in the head or neck area (see also the other unnecessary-roughness rules covering these subjects). A defensive player must not use his helmet against a passer who is in a defenseless posture for example, (a) forcibly hitting the passer’s head or neck area with the helmet or facemask, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the passer by encircling or grasping him, or (b) lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/”hairline” parts of the helmet against any part of the passer’s body. This rule does not prohibit incidental contact by the mask or non-crown parts of the helmet in the course of a conventional tackle on a passer.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Alright. It just seemed that Thomas tried his hardest to soften the blow and avoid it, but oh well. Seahawks choked away the game by their own accord anyway.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Pungry posted:

Alright. It just seemed that Thomas tried his hardest to soften the blow and avoid it, but oh well. Seahawks choked away the game by their own accord anyway.

Thomas left his feet and waylaid Tannehill high and late. It was a routine, correct call and I hate the Dolphins more than any team in the league.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

jeffersonlives posted:

Thomas left his feet and waylaid Tannehill high and late.

I'm not arguing this point. He did hit high, and it was a little late. But I would like to add, for those who did not see it, that Thomas was running full speed at Tannehill and jumped into the air to bat down the pass. I would make the argument that his intent was not to make the hit.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Chichevache posted:

I'm not arguing this point. He did hit high, and it was a little late. But I would like to add, for those who did not see it, that Thomas was running full speed at Tannehill and jumped into the air to bat down the pass. I would make the argument that his intent was not to make the hit.

Unfortunately intent doesn't seem to matter when it comes to protecting QB's.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Defensive players are coached not to leave their feet coming in at protected players because it becomes impossible to control your body enough to easily avoid an illegal hit once you do so. It used to be that you only had to worry about that for late hits on punters and quarterbacks, but it's considerably more important to stay on your feet now given the upgrades in protection on quarterbacks and receivers.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
I know next to nothing about college football, so this may be a dumb question. But why are Notre Dame, Texas and Alabama so reviled?

Alabama makes sense to me because of recent success, and I have no idea if people care about them when they're losing.

Texas may be a regional thing since I live in Texas so I'm exposed to a lot of talk about Texas teams in particular.

I have no idea why Notre Dame is hated because it seems to me they've been irrelevant for a long time. From what I hear on the radio and on this board, though, people consider them the Lakers or Yankees of college football. What caused this?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Disillusionist posted:

I have no idea why Notre Dame is hated because it seems to me they've been irrelevant for a long time. From what I hear on the radio and on this board, though, people consider them the Lakers or Yankees of college football. What caused this?
Despite being largely irrelevant for the last decade or so, they have a special arrangemnet with the BCS and a fancy TV contract with NBC that gives them a lot of exposure even when they're not very good.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

jeffersonlives posted:

Defensive players are coached not to leave their feet coming in at protected players because it becomes impossible to control your body enough to easily avoid an illegal hit once you do so. It used to be that you only had to worry about that for late hits on punters and quarterbacks, but it's considerably more important to stay on your feet now given the upgrades in protection on quarterbacks and receivers.

In addition to the penalty concerns, never leaving your feet is taught as a basic pass rush/pocket contain technique. Defensive line coaches flip when a guy has a QB dead to rights, bites on a pump, jumps to deflect the nonexistent pass and loses contain while the QB scrambles for a positive gain. I've always seen coaches teach hands up while running forward if you think the QB is going to release the ball.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Incoherence posted:

Despite being largely irrelevant for the last decade or so, they have a special arrangemnet with the BCS and a fancy TV contract with NBC that gives them a lot of exposure even when they're not very good.

The list of reasons to hate Notre Dame is extensive and doesn't really end, kind of like a Japanese restaurant; if you don't like what's in front of you right now, there'll be something along in a moment that's more to your taste while the others revolve out of sight for a little. If you're not fussed about the unwarranted overexposure or the obnoxious fans or Lou Holtz making GBS threads up halftime, there's the idiotic Plastic Paddyism, or the institutional cover-up of rape, or the manslaughter of a volunteer assistant.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
What exactly are the printouts that players and coaches are looking at on the sideline during games? Where is that information/where are the printouts coming from?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Dirt Worshipper posted:

What exactly are the printouts that players and coaches are looking at on the sideline during games? Where is that information/where are the printouts coming from?

I believe they are pictures of the offense and defense from a sky cam so that the key guys on offense can see how the defense reacted to certain plays/formations/personnel/identify weaknesses.

Dey Yah
Dec 18, 2010
I read a book once that was written by a reporter who hung out with the Chicago Bulls throughout the course of a season. He went to all their games and practices and traveled with them and did little impromptu interviews with benchwarmer guys, etc. Does anyone know of any similar books about NFL football? Just kind of an in-depth look at one team going through one season?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Dey Yah posted:

I read a book once that was written by a reporter who hung out with the Chicago Bulls throughout the course of a season. He went to all their games and practices and traveled with them and did little impromptu interviews with benchwarmer guys, etc. Does anyone know of any similar books about NFL football? Just kind of an in-depth look at one team going through one season?

Stefan Fatsis wrote A Few Seconds of Panic about the Broncos a few seasons back which is kind of close to where you're going.

There's a very good (and topical) book of exactly this nature by SI writer Austin Murphy about St. John's football and John Gagliardi called The Sweet Season as well.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
This just popped into my head.

Does the Super Bowl have a different OT system than a regular season or post-season game?

If not, what happens if there is ever a tie?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Dey Yah posted:

North Dallas forty. A few bricks shy of a load.vthere's a bunch and most of them are great, including the Blind Side

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

Does the Super Bowl have a different OT system than a regular season or post-season game?

Post-season games cannot end in ties

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

Post-season OT including the super bowl operates exactly the same as regular season OT except there's extra overtimes if needed until someone actually scored.

Pretty sure this is the most recent 2OT game: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=240110014

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Blackula69 posted:

North Dallas forty. A few bricks shy of a load.vthere's a bunch and most of them are great, including the Blind Side

Blind Side doesn't do what he's asking. Next Man Up follows the Ravens for a season but it felt pretty sanitised to me, for obvious reasons.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
"Meat Market" is a pretty good look into college football, including recruiting.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
What exactly are the rules on the 10 second runoff after a penalty? I know it doesn't happen every penalty, but does it happen when a penalty is called in the last 2 minutes, or are there some penalties that always have a 10 second runoff?

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

Pungry posted:

What exactly are the rules on the 10 second runoff after a penalty? I know it doesn't happen every penalty, but does it happen when a penalty is called in the last 2 minutes, or are there some penalties that always have a 10 second runoff?

It's only offensive penalties that cause a runoff, and I believe it's only live-ball fouls while the clock is running.

I was bored so I looked it up in the rules:

quote:

Section 7 Actions to Conserve Time
ILLEGAL ACTS
Article 1 A team is not permitted to conserve time inside of one minute of either half by committing any of the following acts:

(a) a foul by either team that prevents the snap (i.e., false start, encroachment, etc.)
(b) intentional grounding;
(c) an illegal forward pass thrown from beyond the line of scrimmage;
(d) throwing a backward pass out of bounds;
(e) spiking or throwing the ball in the field of play after a down has ended, except after a touchdown; or
(f) any other intentional foul that causes the clock to stop.

Penalty: For Illegally Conserving Time: Loss of five yards unless a larger distance penalty is applicable. When actions referred to above are committed by the offensive team while time is in, officials will run 10 seconds off the game clock before permitting the ball to be put in play on the ready-for-play signal. The game clock will start on the ready-forplay signal. If the offensive team has timeouts remaining, it will have the option of using a timeout in lieu of a 10-second runoff, in which case the game clock will start on the snap after the timeout. The defense always has the option to decline the 10-second runoff and have the yardage penalty enforced, but if the yardage penalty is declined, the 10-second runoff is also declined. If the action is by the defense, the play clock will be reset to 40 seconds, and

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It depends whether you're playing on Saturday or Sunday, as well. Some things are different, some things aren't. Let's have a look at Saturday first.

The official terminology is "10-second subtraction", and there are dire consequences for anyone who is not Ron Cherry (because Ron Cherry does what he wants, tulip) who announces it as a "runoff".

So this is NCAA 3-4-4:

quote:

With the game clock running and less than one minute
remaining in either half, before a change of team possession, if a player of either
team commits a foul that causes the clock to stop, the officials may subtract 10
seconds from the game clock at the option of the offended team.

It does not matter in either rulebook whether it was offense or defense that committed the foul; if the offended team doesn't want the runoff/subtraction, they're not forced to take it.

quote:

The fouls that
fall in this category include but are not limited to:

1. Any foul that prevents the snap (e.g., false start, encroachment, defensive
offside by contact in the neutral zone, etc.);

Reminder: In NCAA-land, "encroachment" is the foul committed by the offense when an offensive player lines up in or beyond the neutral zone and doesn't GTFO when he's told to.

quote:

2. Intentional grounding to stop the clock;
3. Incomplete illegal forward pass;
4. Backward pass thrown out of bounds to stop the clock;
5. Any other foul committed with the intent of stopping the clock.

:siren: FEEL FREE TO SKIP TO THE NEXT SIREN, THIS IS A DIGRESSION

Item 5 is mildly irritating, because it conflicts with

quote:

...if a player of either team commits a foul that causes the clock to stop...

And says nothing about the intent of what he was trying to do. Here's where this causes a problem - Team A is driving at the end of a half, they run a short pass over the middle, the runner is down short of the line to gain, and then B99 piles on him (which causes the clock to stop while the penalty is enforced). B99's intent is almost certainly not to stop the clock, so Item 5 suggests that this is not eligible for the runoff subtraction. But up there it just talks about "a foul that causes the clock to stop" without considering intent, and that would suggest that this is eligible for the runoff diminishment.

(Current thinking is that intent doesn't matter and B99's foul can potentially trigger the runoff reduction.)

:siren: DIGRESSION ENDS

quote:

The offended team may accept the yardage penalty and decline the 10-second
subtraction. If the yardage penalty is declined the 10-second subtraction is
declined by rule.

b. The 10-second rule does not apply if the game clock is not running when the
foul occurs or if the foul does not cause the game clock to stop (e.g., illegal
formation).

If the clock isn't running, there's no need to run time off it, because the fouling team didn't save any time by stopping the clock. Likewise, they gain no benefit from a clock stoppage that occurred because of a live-ball penalty. (The way to think of this is that the clock does not stop immediately a hold or an illegal formation occurs, it stops some time later, so no runoff removal), whereas it stops immediately a false start occurs.)

quote:

c. After the penalty is administered, if there is a 10-second subtraction,
the game clock starts on the referee’s signal. If there is no 10-second
subtraction, the game clock starts on the snap.

d. If the fouling team has a timeout remaining they may avoid the 10-second
subtraction by using a timeout. In this case the game clock starts on the snap
after the timeout.

This is all reasonably logical; it doesn't start on the RFP if the runoff Zap10 is declined because in that case the offended team wants as much time to stay on the clock as possible. In the other situations, the clock's just doing what it would normally.

quote:

e. The 10-second subtraction does not apply when there are offsetting fouls.

One more thing; in NCAA, the subtraction applies to players whose helmets come off, but it does not apply to injured players.

So that's how it works on Saturday. On Sunday, it works exactly the same as above, except for the times when it doesn't.

"Spiking or throwing the ball in the field of play, except after a touchdown" is explicitly a foul and 10-second runoff situation for the NFL, and it's a seperate penalty for "illegally conserving time". In NCAA it would probably come to the same thing by a different route - those actions count as delay of game, and it's still a foul that causes the clock to stop.

Play clock - in the NFL, the play clock is set to 40 after an illegally conserving time foul by the defense, and the offense gets to choose whether to start the game clock on the RFP or the snap.

Illegal substitution - if a team breaks the substitution rules but the play is not shut down, the NFL has a rule so that it can trigger the 10-second runoff, even though the foul does not cause the clock to stop.

Injured players - in the NFL, an injury timeout inside the last two minutes is charged to a team. If you don't have any timeouts remaining, it's a penalty, and it can trigger the 10-second runoff even if no yardage is enforced (there's only five yards if it would have been your fifth timeout of the half), and even if there was more than a minute on the clock when it stopped. Players whose helmets come off do not appear to be specifically covered.

Instant replay - in the NFL, if the ruling on the field is overturned from a result that would cause the clock to stop (for instance, Team A player short of the line to gain on fourth down) to a result that should have kept the clock running (Team A player made the line to gain on fourth down), then the opponents can have a 10-second runoff if they want it.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 29, 2012

DUNCAN DONUTS
Mar 27, 2010

by XyloJW
How does the NCAA coaches' poll work? Who gets to vote?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

DUNCAN DONUTS posted:

List of Voters
The USA TODAY Board of Coaches is made up of 59 head coaches at Bowl Subdivision schools. All are members of the American Football Coaches Association. The board for the 2012 season: David Bailiff, Rice; Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech; Tim Beckman, Illinois; Bret Bielema, Wisconsin; Terry Bowden, Akron; Art Briles, Baylor; Troy Calhoun, Air Force; Matt Campbell, Toledo; Gene Chizik, Auburn; Dave Christensen, Wyoming; Mark Dantonio, Michigan State; Tim DeRuyter, Fresno State; Dave Doeren, Northern Illinois; Sonny Dykes, Louisiana Tech; Jimbo Fisher, Florida State; Kyle Flood, Rutgers; James Franklin, Vanderbilt; Al Golden, Miami (Fla.); Todd Graham, Arizona State; Jim Grobe, Wake Forest; Darrell Hazell, Kent State; Brady Hoke, Michigan; Dana Holgorsen, West Virginia; Skip Holtz, South Florida; Mark Hudspeth, Louisiana-Lafayette; Curtis Johnson, Tulane; Ellis Johnson, Southern Miss; Butch Jones, Cincinnati; Brian Kelly, Notre Dame; Mike Leach, Washington State; Pete Lembo, Ball State; Tony Levine, Houston; Mike London, Virginia; Rocky Long, San Diego State; Dan McCarney, North Texas; Mike MacIntyre, San Jose State; Ruffin McNeill, East Carolina; Gus Malzahn, Arkansas State; Bronco Mendenhall, BYU; Les Miles, LSU; George OLeary, Central Florida; Paul Pasqualoni, Connecticut; Bo Pelini, Nebraska; Chris Petersen, Boise State; Joker Phillips, Kentucky; Paul Rhoads, Iowa State; Mark Richt, Georgia; Mike Riley, Oregon State; Rich Rodriguez, Arizona; Nick Saban, Alabama; Steve Sarkisian, Washington; Frank Solich, Ohio; Steve Spurrier, South Carolina; Rick Stockstill, Middle Tennessee; Bob Stoops, Oklahoma; Dabo Swinney, Clemson; Jeff Tedford, California; Tommy Tuberville, Texas Tech; Kevin Wilson, Indiana.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
And the joke that is probably true in at least some cases is that list of guys up there very diligently have one of their assistants fill things out for them.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

DUNCAN DONUTS posted:

Some low ranking assistant coach or athletic department lackey who the head coach designates to fill out their ballot for them.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Before it turned out that he was evil, Joe Paterno filled out his own ballot.

He once tried to put three teams at #1, so they took away his vote.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Sash! posted:

Before it turned out that he was evil, Joe Paterno filled out his own ballot.

He once tried to put three teams at #1, so they took away his vote.

They tried to take Spurrier's vote away when he kept listing Duke as #25 in the pre-season poll.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
If a receiver makes a catch, but goes out of bounds before making the completion, does that count as an incompletion for the QB? It can't be a completion, right? Or does it count for the sake of the QB's stats, even though the catch doesn't count on the field?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Detective Thompson posted:

If a receiver makes a catch, but goes out of bounds before making the completion, does that count as an incompletion for the QB? It can't be a completion, right? Or does it count for the sake of the QB's stats, even though the catch doesn't count on the field?

Incomplete pass for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Okay, that was my gut instinct, but I just wanted to make sure.

• Locked thread