Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

I like turtles posted:

That sounds amazing. Wait, does the cassia have a milder, sweeter flavor, or does the true cinnamon? Or am I mixed up on my terms - as I recall the stuff most commonly sold in the US as cinnamon is actually cassia, and the real deal cinnamon is relatively uncommon. Is that right?

Cassia is milder. Cinnamon will be sharper and more spicy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Might be a little weird, but does anyone know where to get Cel-Ray soda in New York? I'm on the GBS Secret Santa, and I'm looking for quirky NYC food items to send.

Food Emporium should have it, as should Fairway.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

Cassia is milder. Cinnamon will be sharper and more spicy.

I thought it was the other way around? Ceylon (true) cinnamon is milder, cassia (American) cinnamon is sharper?

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Personally, I wouldn't get any knife more expensive than the forschner/victorinox unless you're willing to go up to ~$125+.

Is there any significant difference though? I just really like the handle on the Sabatier Delice and they offer a free engraving-service that would look cool as heck on that wood.

Twerp
Feb 25, 2011
So I'm making eggnog for the first time (recipe: http://www.chow.com/recipes/10758-best-eggnog), and I'm kinda leery about possible bacterial contamination during the aging process. Never prepared anything like this before; would I need to clean the mixing bowl and container with a bleach solution before beginning, or will the alcohol in the recipe do the job just fine?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Twerp posted:

So I'm making eggnog for the first time (recipe: http://www.chow.com/recipes/10758-best-eggnog), and I'm kinda leery about possible bacterial contamination during the aging process. Never prepared anything like this before; would I need to clean the mixing bowl and container with a bleach solution before beginning, or will the alcohol in the recipe do the job just fine?

I'm mobile right now but google "egg nog science Friday"

Edit, back home: http://www.sciencefriday.com/video/11/30/2012/yet-another-reason-to-spike-that-eggnog.html

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 3, 2012

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

Also, favorite flavors to use in a pork cheek braise?

Thyme. Fresh. Lots.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Sjurygg posted:

Thyme. Fresh. Lots.

I have a nice big shrub of thyme in a pot on the deck :) It's lemon thyme, though, but it's not super lemony.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Wandering Knitter posted:

I had a root canal on friday, and I'm on a mushy food diet until my crown comes in next week. The problem is that I'm already sick of pasta, mashed potatoes, and chicken nuggets. Can anyone recommend any food ideas? I miss crunchy celery so much. :smith:

Explore cold soup options.. there are a few.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Is there any significant difference though? I just really like the handle on the Sabatier Delice and they offer a free engraving-service that would look cool as heck on that wood.

For me, I'm not a big fan of the rounded angled handle coming off the spine. That, again, is personal preference, I cannot speak for your boyfriend's preferences.

The steel, x45crmov15, is softish, but that's kind of expected of a European alloy. As mentioned, soft and honeable or aggressive edge holding but brittle is another personal preference. I'm a brittle aggressive edge guy.

It's also got a heel-less bolster blade, which is atypical of Euro knives. Again preference.

So, yeah. depends on what you're buying the knife for. It's pretty, sure, but I would still consider the preference thing.

Twerp
Feb 25, 2011

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'm mobile right now but google "egg nog science Friday"

Edit, back home: http://www.sciencefriday.com/video/11/30/2012/yet-another-reason-to-spike-that-eggnog.html

Just the sort of reassurance I was looking for, thanks!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
We got a few persimmons in our Bountiful Basket this week. I cut one open and tasted it a bit, but it's really, REALLY bitter. Tastes good otherwise, but it makes my tongue feel like I just licked a stick of deodorant. I swear I've had persimmon before, but maybe I'm remembering things wrong. Are they supposed to be like that?

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I picked up a whole lamb shoulder today because it was on sale for only $2.99 a pound. I wasn't really thinking about what I would actually do with it.

Cooking it whole isn't really practical for me. I was thinking that instead I could break it down into chops, but I've never done anything like that before. It is presently frozen. Am I better off thawing it and cutting the chops with a knife (but then probably putting them back into the freezer, and isn't that supposed to be bad?) or acquiring a meat saw and cutting it up frozen?

Also if I am going to get a meat saw I have no idea what to buy. I don't really need to be able to cut bone but I assume some saws can't handle frozen meat.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Powdered Toast Man posted:

I picked up a whole lamb shoulder today because it was on sale for only $2.99 a pound. I wasn't really thinking about what I would actually do with it.

Cooking it whole isn't really practical for me.

Why not?

Probably the simplest thing to make delicious, ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhWIrf-9_gw

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

bringmyfishback posted:

We got a few persimmons in our Bountiful Basket this week. I cut one open and tasted it a bit, but it's really, REALLY bitter. Tastes good otherwise, but it makes my tongue feel like I just licked a stick of deodorant. I swear I've had persimmon before, but maybe I'm remembering things wrong. Are they supposed to be like that?

In my experience, a persimmon is perfectly ripe for all of eight seconds. They go from totally unripe and bitter to overripe and mushy faster than you can blink at them, it's astonishing.

A ripe persimmon should be sweet.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

GrAviTy84 posted:

Why not?

Well, it's 6.5 pounds, so I think it's bigger than what Jamie has in that video. I suppose that means it would take longer to cook. That means I'd only be able to cook it on a weekend.

Also, I'm worried about how long it would keep after roasting it, but I guess I could freeze some of it?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

bringmyfishback posted:

They're supposed to be pretty soft when they're ripe, so it might be a matter of waiting. Think slightly mushy tomato. If they happen to get too ripe (i.e., turn black in places) then you can always use them in baking!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Well, it's 6.5 pounds, so I think it's bigger than what Jamie has in that video. I suppose that means it would take longer to cook. That means I'd only be able to cook it on a weekend.

Also, I'm worried about how long it would keep after roasting it, but I guess I could freeze some of it?

It's basically getting cooked until gelatin melt, which means tender and succulent, so it doesn't get ruined on reheat like a rare steak would. You can also put it in sandwiches, on salads, make rillettes, wraps, serve over basmati rice with raita, or with a side of tabbouleh, and yes you can freeze it.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

GrAviTy84 posted:

It's basically getting cooked until gelatin melt, which means tender and succulent, so it doesn't get ruined on reheat like a rare steak would. You can also put it in sandwiches, on salads, make rillettes, wraps, serve over basmati rice with raita, or with a side of tabbouleh, and yes you can freeze it.

So cooked until the outer layer of fat melts? There's a pretty good portion of that on the meaty end.

Well...since it's frozen, how long is it going to take to thaw this bitch? A day, at least?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

So cooked until the outer layer of fat melts?

Cook until it is somewhere between fork and falling apart tender, like pulled pork, or osso buco, or any other braised/stewed thing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

Why not?

I might do this for Christmas... Ricola suggested a porchetta, which looks awesome, but my family might not like how fatty that is

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
I feel like there used to be a Food Safety thread in this forum but I can't find it...

Anyway, at risk of sounding like a gigantic goon:

I found a big Costco pack of Activia yogurt in my fridge. It's got a November 18th sell by date. Am I cool to keep eating it? Would hate to throw out like 20 yogurts.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Pissingintowind posted:

I feel like there used to be a Food Safety thread in this forum but I can't find it...

Anyway, at risk of sounding like a gigantic goon:

I found a big Costco pack of Activia yogurt in my fridge. It's got a November 18th sell by date. Am I cool to keep eating it? Would hate to throw out like 20 yogurts.
It'll probably be fine, especially if it's still sealed.

If there's mould growing on it, don't eat it. If there isn't, it's almost certainly still good.

I recently found some yoghurt in my fridge that expired in August and was still sealed. It tasted fine and I'm not dead.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

xcdude24 posted:

So I was thinking about doing a southeast Asian-style glaze on a roast chicken, probably a mix of fish sauce and black soy sauce. Would it be unwise to add it before I roast it, and would it taste OK if I sprinkled on some super finely minced lemongrass?

Fish sauce and lemongrass would be a delicious combination for the chicken. I'd make a paste of fish sauce, oyster sauce, lots of lemongrass and some sugar and rub it under the skin so the sugar doesn't burn and the skin can crisp up while roasting. You can save a bit of the paste to glaze on toward the end. If you butterfly or spatchcock the chicken then you may be able to get away with just rubbing it on top of the skin since the cooking time is shorter.

bringmyfishback posted:

There are two main varieties of persimmons. You may have previously eaten the fuyu variety which can be eaten when they are still a bit crisp. The bitter one you tasted sounds like it is a hachiya persimmon which aren't as tomato shaped. This type does not taste good until it is very soft and fully ripened.

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009
I've just made some tomato salsa (cooked, not pico de gallo) for the first time and I'm wondering how/where to store it. Should I keep it in the fridge or will it retain flavour better at room temperature? Does anyone know how long this sort of thing lasts?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

They're supposed to be pretty soft when they're ripe, so it might be a matter of waiting. Think slightly mushy tomato. If they happen to get too ripe (i.e., turn black in places) then you can always use them in baking!

mich posted:

There are two main varieties of persimmons. You may have previously eaten the fuyu variety which can be eaten when they are still a bit crisp. The bitter one you tasted sounds like it is a hachiya persimmon which aren't as tomato shaped. This type does not taste good until it is very soft and fully ripened.

Actually, these are hachiya, so I think you're right, mich. They are already turning black in places and feel pretty soft. Hmm...

Hauki
May 11, 2010

The Geoff posted:

I've just made some tomato salsa (cooked, not pico de gallo) for the first time and I'm wondering how/where to store it. Should I keep it in the fridge or will it retain flavour better at room temperature? Does anyone know how long this sort of thing lasts?
It will go bad quickly kept at room temperature. Do not store cooked grains, veg, etc. at room temperature for any length of time.

Chronos13
Sep 6, 2006
Until I asked what you were thinking
Is there a go-to guide that GWS recommends for newbie cooks? Kitchens and grocery stores intimidate me and I would like to change that. I apologize if this gets asked a lot.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Chronos13 posted:

Is there a go-to guide that GWS recommends for newbie cooks? Kitchens and grocery stores intimidate me and I would like to change that. I apologize if this gets asked a lot.

What are you looking to cook? I find it's easier to find guides and good advice when you have more of a goal in mind. Simple dinners? Lunches for work? etc.

If you have a recipe to consult, when you go to the store you know what you need to buy at a grocery store and also what you need to do in the kitchen to make stuff. It's just a matter of finding a recipe which suits your needs- most cooking isn't anything more complicated than following directions.

Comic fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 3, 2012

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I have just discovered the magic of stir-fry. I'm trying all these vegetables I never liked before, and with enough oil or sauce, I have found it's both very easy to make, and I like eating the vegetables afterwards!

So far I have tried Carrot, Celery, Red capsicum), Yellow capsicum, White Onion. But I am wondering what other vegetables I can/should add to go with meat strips/chunks.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Broccoli is fantastic in stir fries, soaks up sauce like nobody's business.

Chronos13
Sep 6, 2006
Until I asked what you were thinking

Comic posted:

What are you looking to cook? I find it's easier to find guides and good advice when you have more of a goal in mind. Simple dinners? Lunches for work? etc.

If you have a recipe to consult, when you go to the store you know what you need to buy at a grocery store and also what you need to do in the kitchen to make stuff. It's just a matter of finding a recipe which suits your needs- most cooking isn't anything more complicated than following directions.

I'm trying to figure out a few simple and healthy dishes I can make as I'm accustomed to eating in restaurants all the time and it's starting to hurt my wallet and my gut. Chicken and veggies might be a good start.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Comstar posted:

I have just discovered the magic of stir-fry. I'm trying all these vegetables I never liked before, and with enough oil or sauce, I have found it's both very easy to make, and I like eating the vegetables afterwards!

So far I have tried Carrot, Celery, Red capsicum), Yellow capsicum, White Onion. But I am wondering what other vegetables I can/should add to go with meat strips/chunks.

Broccoli as mentioned, maybe try Bok Choy, zucchini is a personal favorite.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Chronos13 posted:

I'm trying to figure out a few simple and healthy dishes I can make as I'm accustomed to eating in restaurants all the time and it's starting to hurt my wallet and my gut. Chicken and veggies might be a good start.

Find Thomas Keller doing whatever thing you want to do and do the same thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWLt6G85zC4

What kind of veggies do you want to make?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I'm going to try to do a prime rib soon. Anyone have any tips or advice besides let it stand 24 hours?

I'm talking a 10 lb monster for a party.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 3, 2012

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Saint Darwin posted:

I'm going to try to do a prime rib soon. Anyone have any tips or advice besides let it stand 24 hours?

I'm talking a 10 lb monster for a party.

When I do prime rib, I let it stand even longer than 24 hours. Like, I hack together some kind of draining rig and stash that thing in my fridge for about a week. Make sure to keep it dry! Afterward, there might be some funky looking patches. It's fine, just cut those off. You don't have to go overboard like that, but the longer you age it, the better it will be.

When it comes time to cook, roast first, sear last. If it's not a uniform thickness down the whole thing, use some twine to even it out. Use a probe thermometer that you have tested and know works. There's no visual cue to know when the roasting is done, you HAVE to use a thermometer or else you're just guessing.

Season the meat liberally before it goes in. You'll want to put more flavor on it than you think you need. Salt, in particular, should get a good dusting over the entire surface. There's chemical magic going on there.

Give yourself plenty of time to cook it. 10 lbs will take a long time. On the other hand, if the meat does finish early, it'll sit and rest wrapped in foil just fine while you get ready for it. So err in cooking it too early rather than too late.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

GrAviTy84 posted:

Why not?

I've done Jamie Oliver's Moroccan Lamb shoulder a few times. It's great because it's almost impossible to get wrong. Roast it like that, jam it in a pan on chickpea mix , pack it with cous cous and bake it when you're ready.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Tendales posted:

When I do prime rib, I let it stand even longer than 24 hours. Like, I hack together some kind of draining rig and stash that thing in my fridge for about a week. Make sure to keep it dry! Afterward, there might be some funky looking patches. It's fine, just cut those off. You don't have to go overboard like that, but the longer you age it, the better it will be.

When it comes time to cook, roast first, sear last. If it's not a uniform thickness down the whole thing, use some twine to even it out. Use a probe thermometer that you have tested and know works. There's no visual cue to know when the roasting is done, you HAVE to use a thermometer or else you're just guessing.

Season the meat liberally before it goes in. You'll want to put more flavor on it than you think you need. Salt, in particular, should get a good dusting over the entire surface. There's chemical magic going on there.

Give yourself plenty of time to cook it. 10 lbs will take a long time. On the other hand, if the meat does finish early, it'll sit and rest wrapped in foil just fine while you get ready for it. So err in cooking it too early rather than too late.

All great things I didn't consider. I found a few places online which say salt is the worst thing to put on but I imagine they're just shitbirds.

What seasoning do you recommend?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Cross rib roasts are cheap right now. Do I have to have it up to take out connective tissue or just low and slow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Saint Darwin posted:

What seasoning do you recommend?

That's up to you! Anything that goes with beef will work just fine. I like to go simple; some black pepper, maybe some rosemary. Maybe slip some garlic into the fat.

Oh, I forgot to mention, you want the roasting to be low and slow for even cooking. Like, 200F or less. Yes, it'll take forever, but it's worth it! Finish it with a sear on crazy high heat, or under the broiler if you don't have a pan that can handle it, for just barely long enough to get a nice crust on there. The longer you sear, the more moisture you lose, so be careful here.

And yes, anyone that says not to put salt on a hunk of a meat before it goes in the heat is just loving wrong.