Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
NASA Completes 52-Year Mission To Find, Kill God

quote:

Over the years, officials told reporters, God had proved to be an elusive and formidable foe. In 1986, He destroyed the Challenger shuttle, killing all seven crew members, including Christa McAuliffe, a special operative who had been given orders to seduce and then strangle God with garrote wire. The Lord subsequently blew up the Columbia Destroyer Shuttle on reentry in 2003, and several times sabotaged the Hubble Space Telescope, a large piece of surveillance equipment launched into orbit in 1990 to monitor His activities.

jojoinnit has a new favorite as of 04:13 on Nov 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

This isn't from the Onion, but China's party paper falls for Onion joke about Kim

You can't make this poo poo up.
Even funnier, this is the second time that a Chinese state-run newspaper has fallen for an Onion headline. Last time it was this article.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

I have a new favorite. Incredible.

Garrison Keillor Fully Deflates After Massive Sigh

Gin-Soaked Craig Kilborn Shows Up Broke, Homeless At SportsCenter Studio

Kracken
Sep 25, 2006

Let no joyful voice be heard! Let no man look up at the sky with hope! And let this day be cursed by we who ready to wake ...
I love pretty much everything Jackie Harvey.
I'm Getting Bitten By The Oscar Bug...AGAIN!

even though it seems he isn't writing much these days...

I had some of the older compilation books and loved the Jean Teasdale and Smoove B columns.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
They've really gone away from their columnists. I'm surprised that's even a section of the site anymore.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
There was an interview with the editor of The Onion on NPR a few hours ago. He is extremely pleased about the Chinese paper republishing his story.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

'Boy Meets World' Spin Off To Focus On Difficulties Of Raising Autistic Child

I reposted this on my facebook and there has been so much tears about it.

Great Green Auk
Aug 31, 2011

It's chameleons all the way down.
http://www.theonion.com/articles/humor-in-uniform-submissions-at-alltime-low,4988/

A short one, but holy poo poo. :smith:

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

The Real Life Adventures of Diamond Joe

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jtes/joe-biden-goes-to-costco

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

:allears: That's adorable.

Content: Scientists Working On Immortality Better Hurry Up Because Ian McKellen Is 73

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Linked from that one:

Embarrassed Republicans Admit They've Been Thinking Of Eisenhower Whole Time They've Been Praising Reagan

quote:

WASHINGTON—At a press conference Monday, visibly embarrassed leaders of the Republican National Committee acknowledged that their nonstop, effusive praise of Ronald Reagan has been wholly unintentional, admitting they somehow managed to confuse him with Dwight D. Eisenhower for years.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Just a photo (and may as well be just a title): Pan Left To Soak Now Predates All Current Roommates

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Remaking The Republican Party-ah, gently caress it, just disenfranchise them minorities.

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

I lost it at "co-starred in a movie with a chimpanzee". Absolute gold.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
'Boy Meets World' Spin-Off A Dream Come True For Fans Who Grew Up In, Still Live In '90s

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
A timely story: Powerball Winners Already Divorced, Bankrupt

And a great one from Literally Unbelievable:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Romney Locks Self In Oval Office During Visit To White House

:bravo:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Truth Out has a large excerpt from the A section of the Book of Known Knowledge: http://truth-out.org/progressivepicks/item/12776-the-onion-book-of-known-knowledge

The entry on Abdul-Jabbar, Kareem is my favorite so far.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

Brother Jonathan posted:

A timely story: Powerball Winners Already Divorced, Bankrupt

And a great one from Literally Unbelievable:

That is literally unbelievable. Yes more Americans died on Friday than total casualties of WWI but you just didn't notice.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
I should be surprised that people are so willingly to accept that roughly 13% of the American population was killed in shopping incidents in one day, but I'm not. Do the people on Literally Unbelievable just read the headlines or do they actually read the entire article and think "makes sense to me!"?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Jeff Wiiver posted:

I should be surprised that people are so willingly to accept that roughly 13% of the American population was killed in shopping incidents in one day, but I'm not. Do the people on Literally Unbelievable just read the headlines or do they actually read the entire article and think "makes sense to me!"?

I'm sure they'll believe whatever they want to (hence all the conservatives touting the Onion's Obama DNC article as proof that NOBUMMER IS GOING TO DESTROY AMERICA AND KILL JESUS)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Long Wait For Big Toenail To Fall Off Nearly Over

I'm not going to link it but DEAR GOD.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

SynthOrange posted:

I'm not going to link it but DEAR GOD.

It's OK, I can do :nms:it :nms: if you don't want to.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

80 Billion Tons Of Jar Jar Merchandise Now 70 Percent Off

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

timefly posted:

That is literally unbelievable. Yes more Americans died on Friday than total casualties of WWI but you just didn't notice.

From the Seinfeld episode, "The Stranded":

Jerry: (noticing a coffee table book) Oh, you got the Civil War book. I saw some of that show. It was wonderful.
Elaine: Six hundred and twenty million people died!
Jerry: Thousand.
Elaine: Thousand! Six hundred and twenty thousand! The horror, the horror.

Some people have a poor grasp of magnitudes.

For example, 80 billion tons of garbage is meaningless to me. I looked it up, and for comparison, the entire world produces 1.3 billion tonnes of waste each year.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Brother Jonathan posted:

From the Seinfeld episode, "The Stranded":

Jerry: (noticing a coffee table book) Oh, you got the Civil War book. I saw some of that show. It was wonderful.
Elaine: Six hundred and twenty million people died!
Jerry: Thousand.
Elaine: Thousand! Six hundred and twenty thousand! The horror, the horror.

Some people have a poor grasp of magnitudes.

For example, 80 billion tons of garbage is meaningless to me. I looked it up, and for comparison, the entire world produces 1.3 billion tonnes of waste each year.

Yeah we've cut back now that Lucas isn't making movies.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Congress Arrested On Manslaughter Charges

quote:

“Once we began pulling the string, we saw that Congress had been wreaking havoc on the American people for centuries,” Lt. Thompson told reporters. “The sheer number of elderly patients who were denied cutting-edge cancer treatment and died as a result was enormous. Add to that recent immigrants who lack any sort of comprehensive health coverage, people who fall between the cracks of the current system, and those who depend on emergency rooms for their primary care, and the number of deaths caused by Congress through the nation’s health care system alone is truly staggering.”

Great Green Auk
Aug 31, 2011

It's chameleons all the way down.

:drat: Sometimes the Onion just knocks it out of the park.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Google Announces Plan To Destroy All Information It Can't Index

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Has anyone else been pretty disappointed with the recent news style videos? They generally have a good premise, but something about the news reader and overall presentation makes it seem amateurish. Some things just work better as printed articles.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

That reminds me of another favorite.

Starbucks To Begin Sinister 'Phase Two' Of Operation

AlternatePFG
Jun 19, 2012
Cut This Monster Out of Me

quote:

I don’t care how it’s done. Use scissors. Use a razor. Use a bloody letter opener—just slice this demon from my womb and burn it to a crisp. Even now, restrained here in my hospital gurney, I can feel it gestating inside me, a malformed abomination wrought from centuries of inbreeding and an ancient pact of unspeakable evil. I can feel its scaly skin rubbing coarsely against the placenta. It knows what it is. It knows the power it wields even now. And all day long it demands to be fed, fed, fed. I cannot stand it any longer!

:stare:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I didn't really get the joke of this one until I went back and saw the author.

ID Unavailable
Mar 2, 2012

THIS SOME DAVID LYNCH SHIT, HUH
Stockwatch is pretty great as well.

quote:

JPMorgan Chase (JPM)

$34.90 (+$0.72) (+ 2.1%) The financial world was shaken today when CEO Jamie Dimon stated that the Occupy Wall Street movement had significantly eaten into the banking titan's profits, announced Chase would have to drastically reformulate its business plan, and then paused a beat before saying, just kidding, they made a record $17.4 billion last year.

Derek's Bullshit (DSBS)

$11.64(-$0.36)(-3.0%) Stock prices plunged after Amanda wasn't buying it, no sir.

Aetna Inc. (AET)

$35.50 (+$0.24) (+0.68%) Confidence in the company increased after laughing executives simply said, “Obamacare,” and raised premiums 20 percent.

Sprint (S)

$2.53 (+$0.08) (+3.3%) They’re still around. That alone is worth something.

Red Robin Restaurant (RRGB)

$25.61 (-$6.02) (-19%) Share prices plunged today after Mandy failed to show up for her 5 p.m. shift even though she told Kathy three times that she has cheerleading on Wednesdays.

Do they update these? They seem to repeat after awhile and have no dates.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
They really loving hate the royal family.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
The youtube channel occasionally comes up with gems. Porkin' across America is about an hour long, the first 45 minutes are basically one huge setup for the last 15 and it's totally worth it. It's a goddam Greek tragedy about the disintegrating life of a man who is really, really into pork products.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Whichever is worse, I'm going to go with that one.

e: Almost forgot the content!
You know the way you feel when you see a new Onion article about "Diamond" Joe Biden? That's how I feel about the way the Onion portrays David Ortiz.
David Ortiz Convinced There's Something Like The 7th-Inning Stretch But For The 70th Inning
David Ortiz Asks Kansas City Grounds Crew To Turn Off Stadium Lights So Teams Can See All The Stars
David Ortiz Claims He Just Saw Submarine In Kansas City Royals Fountain
David Ortiz Terrified After Hearing About Red Sox Bats Coming Alive
Press Conference Reveals David Ortiz Clearly Doesn't Know Who Jackie Robinson Is

e2:Weird Child Pretends To Be Utility Infielder Mark DeRosa While Playing Baseball With Friends
Nation Dumbfounded As To Why Little-Leaguer's Favorite Player Is Chipper Jones

I can't help but sigh and laugh. I was totally this kid. I wanted to be Royals catcher Mike Macfarlane!

I took George Brett's retirement pretty hard

Time_pants has a new favorite as of 09:01 on Dec 5, 2012

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

They really loving hate the royal family.

You aren't kidding, because this was under those articles as well.
15-Year-Old Duchess Of McComb, AL Announces Pregnancy.

It's a trailer trash joke, but it clearly equates the Royal Family to inbred Alabamans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

The youtube channel occasionally comes up with gems. Porkin' across America is about an hour long, the first 45 minutes are basically one huge setup for the last 15 and it's totally worth it. It's a goddam Greek tragedy about the disintegrating life of a man who is really, really into pork products.

I don't get mw wrong, Sex House is one of my favorite shows of the whole year. I've heard decent things about Lake Drudge Appraisel and Porkin across America, but haven't watched them yet.

It's just sad to know the content they could be producing vs the content that they are.