Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ManifunkDestiny posted:

With the first pick of the draft, the Spokane Air Raids select

3B George Brett

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6hu4aLXv7U

That video was worth this pick not being Ted Williams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Okay, then...

Pungry!

You have until 12 hours starting from 10:06 a.m.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

this is too incredible for words

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

ManifunkDestiny posted:

With the first pick of the draft, the Spokane Air Raids select

3B George Brett

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6hu4aLXv7U

Pungry, you're up next! Edit: His stated Preference is 'Eddie Collins' but really if he passes on a chane to have Babe Ruth and Ted Williams hitting in his lineup, I hate him forever.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 3, 2012

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
I think the best compromise for if a person doesn't draft in time is that the next team will have an opportunity to pick first, after which the first guy will be given a new 12-hour clock.

So, for example, if Pungry doesn't post by 10:06 am tomorrow, then whoever's next, Monicro, I think, would be allowed to make his own pick and, if he did, then Pungry would get another 12 hours to pick before whoever's next got a chance to pick ahead of him, and so on.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Smasher Dynamo posted:

I think the best compromise for if a person doesn't draft in time is that the next team will have an opportunity to pick first, after which the first guy will be given a new 12-hour clock.

So, for example, if Pungry doesn't post by 10:06 am tomorrow, then whoever's next, Monicro, I think, would be allowed to make his own pick and, if he did, then Pungry would get another 12 hours to pick before whoever's next got a chance to pick ahead of him, and so on.

Why not have an exception for a guy who's already posted his preferences? It's the same as saying 'I'm not going to be here for 48 hours, so when my pick comes up, draft one of these guys: A, B, C'

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Pungry, you're up next! Edit: His stated Preference is 'Eddie Collins' but really if he passes on a chane to have Babe Ruth and Ted Williams hitting in his lineup, I hate him forever.

I know Ted Williams is in the draft, but Left Field is not really as important as a supremely reliable middle infielder.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Why not have an exception for a guy who's already posted his preferences? It's the same as saying 'I'm not going to be here for 48 hours, so when my pick comes up, draft one of these guys: A, B, C'

Yeah, that seems fair and rightfully punishes anyone who didn't give their preferences like they drat should have

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

tatankatonk posted:

I know Ted Williams is in the draft, but Left Field is not really as important as a supremely reliable middle infielder.

Do not pass up on Tedodore loving Williams for a not-nearly-as-good MIF

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

CraigK posted:

Do not pass up on Tedodore loving Williams for a not-nearly-as-good MIF

Ok yeah you're probably right. Pick Ted Williams, Pungry

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Still on the board!!

2001 A-Rod
1962 Willie Mays
1953 Mickey Mantle
1911 Eddie Collins
1902 Nap Lajoie
1922 Pete Alexander
1995 Roger Clemens
1939 Ted Williams

Holy Smokes, that's a good draft

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Because it makes the entire point of a live draft kind of moot. I mean, it's not like the pool of players is going to change, and I have preferences from all of you. If that's how you guys really want to do it, then fine, but I don't know that it's a particularly good idea.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Before I go ahead and make the obvious pick of Ted Williams for my second draft in a row, I just want to know if it's likely that there will be a good middle infielder left by the second round, cause I really need one bad.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
If you're worried about needing a MIF, I will trade you '98 Biggio to you for.......something. Offer me, I guess.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Pungry posted:

Before I go ahead and make the obvious pick of Ted Williams for my second draft in a row, I just want to know if it's likely that there will be a good middle infielder left by the second round, cause I really need one bad.

I have no idea, and, because it's a live draft, no one else knows either. So, make your gamble and hope for the best.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Pungry posted:

2B is actually pretty stacked this draft. I'd say '60 Fox and up are definitely Super-League starter material. I can't imagine 7 2Bs get taken in the first round. Shortstop is another story...

Beet fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 3, 2012

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

With the second pick of the draft, the Seattle Suicides pick Ted Williams.

I have a '06 Magglio Ordonez or even a '99 Carlos Beltran up for sale with how stacked this outfield is.

Too bad about the rest of the team.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Just reposting this for a new page.

Monicro

You are on the clock.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Gah, I'm :swoon:ing over a couple guys and I don't know whether I should move up for them!

People picking between now and me, offer me your pick in exchange for players on my team + my ninth overall pick

That's

Monicro
Robert_Deadford
Shadow gamer
mentholmoose
tatankatonk
UZworm

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

WITH THE THIRD OVERALL PICK OF THE 2012 SUPER-LEAGUE DISPERSAL DRAFT, THE FLORIDA DICKSHOTS SELECT 2B NAPOLEON LAJOIE

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

CraigK posted:

Gah, I'm :swoon:ing over a couple guys and I don't know whether I should move up for them!

People picking between now and me, offer me your pick in exchange for players on my team + my ninth overall pick

That's

Monicro
Robert_Deadford
Shadow gamer
mentholmoose
tatankatonk
UZworm

My 7th place pick for your 9th place pick, Dick Allen, and Billy Wagner.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

So noted!

Robert_Deadford, you're on the clock.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

tatankatonk posted:

My 7th place pick for your 9th place pick, Dick Allen, and Billy Wagner.

nah.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Just Dick Allen and the pick?

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

tatankatonk posted:

Just Dick Allen and the pick?

Nah, I predict one season and taking him with me when I'm eliminated in the second round of the Gauntlet many good seasons with Dick.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

With the 4th pick of the draft, the New England Arguments select a man who can understand both sides of the debate...

SP 1995 Roger Clemens

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

And Willie Mays, Willie loving Mays is still in it - Shadow gamer of the Cuba Smokers has the next pick!

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Looking over my list of intended picks, Willie might fall all the way to San Juan, who have stated they want Stan Musial, or even further. 5 teams are after 2Bs, 3Bs or SSs, two teams are looking for catchers, two are after SPs and two are going for the Golden Oldies. The Cuba Smokers said they were after pitching too.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I would imagine that a lot of people will stray from their listed draft preferences just because you can visually see who the best available player is.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It's a more visceral experience than submitting your preferences to the Commissar's office and getting your guys spit right back at you. There's definitely a lot more temptation to draft for a marquee name, and arguably you don't draft your specific needs but draft for the best available and horse-trade to someone who wants Teddy Ballgame much more than you.

(Of course, my Generics had a weaker OF and so Bonds fit a need and was overall best in his class anyway, so this isn't from experience.)

Shadow gamer
Jul 24, 2008

I PASSED UP A BARGAIN

With the fifth pick The Cuba Smokers select...

1962 CF Willie Mays

Best player on the board...

Shadow gamer fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 3, 2012

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Shadow gamer posted:

With the fifth pick The Cuba Smokers select...

1962 CF Willie Mays

Best player on the board...

Smart pick. mentholmoose is on the clock!

Also its pretty scary how shallow this draft is at the corner infield spots. I'm glad I have those positions set or I'd be in trouble.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Draft analysis:
Looking at the spreadsheet, the following teams have boring owners:
The Spokane Air Raids, The Florida Dickshots, the New England Arguments, the Cuba Smokers, the Wausau Woodchucks, the Albany Pessimists, and the Web 2.0 Bloggers.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Senerio posted:

Draft analysis:
Looking at the spreadsheet, the following teams have boring owners:
The Spokane Air Raids, The Florida Dickshots, the New England Arguments, the Cuba Smokers, the Wausau Woodchucks, the Albany Pessimists, and the Web 2.0 Bloggers.

Hey, man, I don't like being reminded that I'm boring.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

The Failures are going to draft by need, and will select:

C 1953 Yogi Berra

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Hey, man, I don't like being reminded that I'm boring.

Actually the Pessimists could justify that color combo. Retracted.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

I'm on the clock now, and I'm pretty sure about who I'm going to take, but in the interest of letting Smasher have as much time off as possible, I'm going to wait a while before picking. In the meantime, if you're really desperate to get the 7th place pick, I'll hear offers for it now! They'll have to be pretty good, though.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
If at any point someone isn't thrilled with the options available to them, I am somewhat distraught about not getting in on the action til the end of Round 2 and I'd like to put a package together for your pick. The most reliable way to communicate with me is by tweeting @Mornacale.

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!
Quite the accomplishment taking the Macho Men to the brink. Saving both Rivera and Gossage for later while getting pounded in the 10th is probably the most fitting way for the Bobbleheads to go out. That said, it is now time to expand the reach of the Super League to galactic proportions! mrnoun was on the right track when he located onto the moon, but he was not nearly ambitious enough! Behold, the future of the Super League:

Team Name: Saturn Biosparks

Home City: Saturn
Home Stadium: Enceladus Dome (dimensions of PNC Park)
DH Preference: Yes

1915 Philadelphia Phillies (4)
1953 Cleveland Indians (3)
1930 St. Louis Browns (1)
1950 Chicago White Sox (1)
2004 Milwaukee Brewers (1)

28-Man Roster:

C: Rick Ferrell (1930 Browns)
1B: Babe Ruth (1915 Red Sox)*
2B: Nellie Fox (1950 White Sox)
SS: Dave Bancroft (1915 Phillies)
3B: Al Rosen (1953 Indians)
LF: Goose Goslin (1930 Browns)
CF: Larry Doby (1953 Indians)
RF: Gavvy Cravath (1915 Phillies)
DH: Heinie Manush (1930 Browns)

C: Phil Masi (1950 White Sox)
1B: Fred Luderus (1915 Phillies)
2B: Bobby Avila (1953 Indians)
SS: Red Kress (1930 Browns)
OF: Corey Hart (2004 Brewers)

SP: Pete Alexander (1915 Phillies)
SP: Greg Maddux (1991 Cubs)*
SP: Eppa Rixey (1915 Phillies)
SP: Early Wynn (1953 Indians)
SP: Bob Feller (1953 Indians)

CL: Rich Gossage (1979 Yankees)*
SU: Mike Adams (2004 Brewers)
SR: Danny Kolb (2004 Brewers)
SR: Luis Vizcaino (2004 Brewers)
MR: Randy Gumpert (1950 White Sox)
LR: Bob Lemon (1953 Indians)

Minors:

SP: Billy Pierce (1950 White Sox)
SP: General Crowder (1930 Browns)
SP: Ben Sheets (2004 Brewers)

Lineups:

1.) DH: Heinie Manush (1930 Browns)
2.) LF: Goose Goslin (1930 Browns)
3.) CF: Larry Doby (1953 Indians)
4.) 1B: Babe Ruth (1915 Red Sox)
5.) 3B: Al Rosen (1953 Indians)
6.) RF: Gavvy Cravath (1915 Phillies)
7.) C: Rick Ferrell (1930 Browns) (Phil Masi catches for Early Wynn)
8.) SS: Dave Bancroft (1915 Phillies)
9.) 2B: Nellie Fox (1950 White Sox)

Strategy (Rate on a scale from -5 to +5):

Hit and Run: -2
Sacrifice Bunt: -3
Squeeze Play: -3
Trying for extra bases: 0
Stealing Bases: 0
Aggressively Tagging Up: +1
Pitch Outs (to prevent stolen bases): -3
Giving Intentional Walks: -4
Pitching Around Good Hitters: -1
Bringing the Infield In: 0
Guarding the Lines: -1
Making Cutoff Throws: 0
Bringing in Pinch Hitters: -1
Bringing in Pinch Runners: -1
Bringing in Defensive Replacements: 0
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest: -3
Letting pitchers pitch throw trouble: -3
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts: +3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Just a reminder of the rules: The Oranges and Unicorns are, by the rules, automatically going to make it to Super-League VIII. Meanwhile, the Saints are definitely retiring. If the Bulldogs come in fourth place, they will be relegated, and the Gumshoes will survive, but as long as they don't finish last, they will survive.

Three teams, including the Bulldogs, tied for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place. Therefore, to determine they're official standings, we'll have to look at their records against each other:

Bulldogs: 14-12
Unicorns: 14-13
Oranges: 12-15

Therefore, the Bulldogs have come in 2nd place and, with the Saints retiring, also win the vacant Intercontinental Championship!

Remember, kids, cheating works.

Not the best round the Unicorns have ever had, but no harm done.

Not a great round for you, either, but, again, it doesn't really matter.

This came down to the last game and, as usual for you, '28 Pete Alexander stepped up to save the day.

If you had won just one more game....

Super-League VIII Divisional Alignment

Dynamo League (no DH)

Memento Mori Division
Antarctica Unspecifieds
Burma Imperialists
Cancun Tornados
Portland Bulldogs
Web 2.0 Bloggers

Vae Victis Division
Coburns
Dubai Dervishes