Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

You would probably like Encounters At The End Of The World too. Directed by Werner Herzog, it's one of my favorite films, like, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Sorry if it's been asked, but is there any way to keep track of when new seasons of TV shows I've watched are added? It's getting really frustrating looking up dozens of shows several times a year to see if updates are available, but i don't see any "notify me' kind of options.

Sometimes you get emails, sometimes not. Most seasons are added a couple weeks before the new season is broadcasted.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Sexy Beast has been added. If you've never seen this film, watch it. If you have, watch it again. It takes the standard "gangster who thought he left the life behind being pulled back in for one last job" plot and makes the actual heist inconsequential. Instead, it pretty much focuses on the type of terrible people you would probably have to associate yourself with to live that kind of life. Watch Sir Ben Kingsley play one of the most distasteful and discomforting characters to ever be on screen.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

kuddles posted:

Sexy Beast has been added. If you've never seen this film, watch it. If you have, watch it again. It takes the standard "gangster who thought he left the life behind being pulled back in for one last job" plot and makes the actual heist inconsequential. Instead, it pretty much focuses on the type of terrible people you would probably have to associate yourself with to live that kind of life. Watch Sir Ben Kingsley play one of the most distasteful and discomforting characters to ever be on screen.

Oh hell yes. I've been waiting for this day.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fayez Butts posted:

You would probably like Encounters At The End Of The World too. Directed by Werner Herzog, it's one of my favorite films, like, ever.

He's a awesome director.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Does Netflix ever upgrade the quality of content, or is some stuff doomed to be blurry 4:3 pan'n'scan SD for all eternity?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

maxnmona posted:

I don't want this to be overlooked, because if you're a horror fan you really should watch this movie.

I gotta say I thought The Road was quite bad. The first part tells you everything you need to know, so when the second half directly shows you what happened it's a bit tedious and the third part is just generic serial killer creepy family upbringing story. Throw in a silly twist and I wish I hadn't watched it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I watched The King's Speech today. It was pretty good. I really like Geoffrey Rush as an actor, and having this be pretty much based on a true story made it even better.

Dude can rock Shakespeare like crazy.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

NoneSuch posted:

I gotta say I thought The Road was quite bad. The first part tells you everything you need to know, so when the second half directly shows you what happened it's a bit tedious and the third part is just generic serial killer creepy family upbringing story. Throw in a silly twist and I wish I hadn't watched it.

The first part doesn't really "tell" you anything. It's mostly a series of creepy moments.

Sorry you didn't like it

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

When I was like 19 or 20, Sexy Beast came out and I was so excited to see it. I watched it and just couldn't understand the accents whatsoever and had to turn it off after 5 minutes.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I remember thinking Ben Kingsley was amazing in it, but pretty much everything else fell flat for me. I don't know, maybe I owe it a revisit.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
A little amusing tidbit about the closed captioning in Tv series: apparently it's from the broadcast episodes and not from the episode Netflix actually has on Instant. Scrubs has a heap of music that got switched in the first couple seasons since they didn't lock down the rights to it, and the closed captioning reflects what the audio used to be.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 3, 2012

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
I watched Sexy Beast and the accents were thick and the plot was nonexistent and I've seen better acting from Kingsley. The most interesting thing about the movie was the heist idea and it was over in 30 seconds.

If you want to watch Ben Kingsley yell at people for like an hour then it's worth your time I guess. You could watch an Adam Sandler movie instead and get more out of it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Party Plane Jones posted:

A little amusing tidbit about the closed captioning in Tv series: apparently it's from the broadcast episodes and not from the episode Netflix actually has on Instant. Scrubs has a heap of music that got switched in the first couple seasons since they didn't lock down the rights to it, and the closed captioning reflects what the audio used to be.

Yep, same thing's true for Supernatural and The League too. And apparently they've switched some lines in the shows too with ADR because there are lines of dialogue missing from the episodes that are subtitled in, sometimes in The League the subtitled and spoken player names in various lines don't match etc.

It's strange.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

casa de mi padre posted:

You could watch an Adam Sandler movie instead and get more out of it.

Well, yeah, of course you'd get more out of watching Punch-Drunk Love or Funny People. That's not really a condemnation of Sexy Beast. :v:

Parachute
May 18, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

Just watched it last night and agree, great flick! I'm starting to lose track of how many interesting documentaries I've seen on Netflix. Dark Days, Marwencol, I Think We're Alone Now, The Parking Lot Movie, The Rock-afire Explosion, Parrots of Telegraph Hill, Jiro Dreams of Sushi, Dear Zachary... the list keeps growing.

Oh man, if you haven't watched Exit Through the Gift Shop I highly recommend it. (I'm almost certain it's still available to stream).

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Parachute posted:

Oh man, if you haven't watched Exit Through the Gift Shop I highly recommend it. (I'm almost certain it's still available to stream).

Best movie of 2010.

e: Don't read anything about it because the way it unfolds is a large part of its genius. It's about street art aka graffiti and if that sounds boring, I promise you its not. The only other thing you need to know is that it's 'directed' or compiled by Banksy, an infamous UK street artists known for his satirical and scathing messages in his work.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 3, 2012

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

casa de mi padre posted:

I watched Sexy Beast and the accents were thick and the plot was nonexistent and I've seen better acting from Kingsley. The most interesting thing about the movie was the heist idea and it was over in 30 seconds.

If you want to watch Ben Kingsley yell at people for like an hour then it's worth your time I guess. You could watch an Adam Sandler movie instead and get more out of it.

Boy, well, you're dumb. Your criticism is really dense and unconsidered.

E: One thing I hate is when people watch a movie, don't like it, and then act like they hated it to make themselves sound like some righteous voice for truth in criticism. Especially when they're too dumb to articulate what they didn't like about it. The plot wasn't nonexistent, it was pretty tightly constructed. You have nothing to say about Kingsley's characterization? I thought he had one of the more interesting roles I've seen in movies in a long time. His unrequited love, his weird rants in the mirror, his vacant stare, it was all really interesting. But no, it's worse than an Adam Sandler movie. If you want to inflict your dumb opinions on people, at least make them more palatable.

Past Tense Ragu fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 3, 2012

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Sexy Beast is an awesome movie and y'all suck.

Seriously, though, maybe it was the mindset I had going in since I saw it originally in theatres. I thought it was going to be yet another gritty yet over-stylized drama about gangsters with cockney accents pulling off a heist that goes wrong that the British film industry had been making GBS threads out constantly. When it took a completely different direction, I was impressed.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

kuddles posted:

Sexy Beast is an awesome movie and y'all suck.

Seriously, though, maybe it was the mindset I had going in since I saw it originally in theatres. I thought it was going to be yet another gritty yet over-stylized drama about gangsters with cockney accents pulling off a heist that goes wrong that the British film industry had been making GBS threads out constantly. When it took a completely different direction, I was impressed.

There were a little too many of those Guy Ritchie pyrotechnics. At a certain point you're impeding character development and doing a disservice to the plot by eliding details in scenes, doubling back on the chronology, and doing trick shots for stylistic effect.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Everything I don't like sucks and is poorly made.

Also if you love werewolves like me and don't mind really cliched writing, mediocre acting, and more homoerotic undertones than you can shake a conservative anti-gay crusader's hard dick at, then you should watch Teen Wolf, which recently added the second season. I just burned through it while working my way through the last season of The Wire because I needed something with no complexity or gravitas and it's pretty good mindless entertainment.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
I just watched Today's Special with the missus. It combines every cliche a cooking movie can have with an Indian Morgan Freeman but it's a fun watch. I'd recommend it.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
The Aquabats! Super Show! is not a movie, but it is delightful Saturday morning silliness and it's now on Netflix.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Discount Viscount posted:

The Aquabats! Super Show! is not a movie, but it is delightful Saturday morning silliness and it's now on Netflix.

Oh man, yes. I've been waiting for this to come on here after all the other HUB stuff was. Thanks for letting me know, I can finally show my friends now.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I just noticed Young Adult and Hugo have both been added. (And the Footloose remake, which is surprisingly good).

If you've been waiting around to catch up on last year's best movies, now is the perfect time.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
It's not quite so bad it's good since its fairly boring as a comedy but Cavegirl features a terribly goony lead actor in a basically 80s reversal of Encino Man

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Past Tense Ragu posted:

Boy, well, you're dumb. Your criticism is really dense and unconsidered.

His unrequited love, his weird rants in the mirror, his vacant stare, it was all really interesting.
Counterpoint: you're dumb AND you smell. I'll use spoiler tags since this vaguely spoils the movie, I guess.

His unrequited love? You mean a psychotic need to prove that he's the man? There was no love in this character who only acts out through violence. Weird rants in the mirror and vacant stares are things that psychotics probably do, yes, but it doesn't build to anything. The character is one-dimensional and shallow, as is the film as a whole since it's principally built around the Kingsley character.

I find it ironic that people praise it in comparison to your typical gangster film, because while the individual characters in any gangster or heist film may be one-dimensional, the appeal of those stories is how the characters interact with each other. In Sexy Beast, the characters don't interact. They sit and listen to the pointless yelling of a psychotic. It's like the "ten years later" sequel to a heist movie, but the only characters left are the ones you didn't really care about from the first movie. Ocean's Eleven except it's just the guy who stands in front of the security camera or swipes the guard's key card and does nothing else for the whole movie.

My personal tastes run towards a more nuanced depiction of crazy people. We're able to see them in different ways by how they act in different situations. We're expected to believe in this Kingsley character who does nothing more than shout and threaten people? Why would he be recruited to put together a team? Why was there a need to recruit the fat guy whose name I can't remember? Oh, the movie implies that Kingsley is in love with the other guy's wife, but what evidence of that do we see? He says it, that's all. You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

It's a stretch to find something to criticize because there's just nothing there and that lack of substance seems to stand as evidence that the movie isn't worth talking about. If you want to watch characters sit around and talk about nothing in particular, there are much better movies that do just that.

Jay Dub posted:

I just noticed Young Adult and Hugo have both been added.
These should be in a "movies you should've seen in the theaters but somehow didn't" category. I'm gonna watch both of them back to back in my jammies.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I completely accidentally stumbled across a very interesting little indie movie called Entrance earlier tonight. It's ostensibly a mumblecore-ish drama about a lonely, kinda messed up girl living in LA who's at the bottom of a low in her life, and lives under a pall of anxiety / depression.

It's mostly a glacially-paced "watch a pretty girl be sad" movie ala Wendy and Lucy, but there's a certain ambiguity and ominousness to the whole thing that had me constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop, and suffice it to say I was not disappointed when it did.

King of Bleh fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Dec 4, 2012

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

I'm not sure Hugo will have quite the same impact without the 3-D. Scorsese had the best use of 3-D I've ever seen in that movie, and it's pretty vital to the look he was going for.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

maxnmona posted:

I'm not sure Hugo will have quite the same impact without the 3-D. Scorsese had the best use of 3-D I've ever seen in that movie, and it's pretty vital to the look he was going for.

Yeah, it still looks gorgeous, but there are some shots where I actually quite miss the 3d, like theshot of Train Pulls Into The Station. Scorsese actually incorporates the 3D into the narrative, and 3d becomes a character in the film.

Still have the Bluray, though. poo poo's spectacular

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone else using a PS3 have trouble getting 1080p quality? It worked pretty good for a while but lately I haven't gotten anything better than "high" quality. I know it isn't my connection either because I can watch the HDX videos on vudu with no problem.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Forgive me if this was just posted as there was a bunch if Exit Through the Gift Shop talk, but I just noticed another movie on Netflix directed by Banksy that I hadn't heard of, Antics Roadshow.

Anyone watched it yet? I'll probably check it out this week.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

casa de mi padre posted:

Counterpoint: you're dumb AND you smell. I'll use spoiler tags since this vaguely spoils the movie, I guess.

His unrequited love? You mean a psychotic need to prove that he's the man? There was no love in this character who only acts out through violence. Weird rants in the mirror and vacant stares are things that psychotics probably do, yes, but it doesn't build to anything. The character is one-dimensional and shallow, as is the film as a whole since it's principally built around the Kingsley character.

I find it ironic that people praise it in comparison to your typical gangster film, because while the individual characters in any gangster or heist film may be one-dimensional, the appeal of those stories is how the characters interact with each other. In Sexy Beast, the characters don't interact. They sit and listen to the pointless yelling of a psychotic. It's like the "ten years later" sequel to a heist movie, but the only characters left are the ones you didn't really care about from the first movie. Ocean's Eleven except it's just the guy who stands in front of the security camera or swipes the guard's key card and does nothing else for the whole movie.

My personal tastes run towards a more nuanced depiction of crazy people. We're able to see them in different ways by how they act in different situations. We're expected to believe in this Kingsley character who does nothing more than shout and threaten people? Why would he be recruited to put together a team? Why was there a need to recruit the fat guy whose name I can't remember? Oh, the movie implies that Kingsley is in love with the other guy's wife, but what evidence of that do we see? He says it, that's all. You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

It's a stretch to find something to criticize because there's just nothing there and that lack of substance seems to stand as evidence that the movie isn't worth talking about. If you want to watch characters sit around and talk about nothing in particular, there are much better movies that do just that.
These should be in a "movies you should've seen in the theaters but somehow didn't" category. I'm gonna watch both of them back to back in my jammies.

Stop saying "it's like another movie if." Can you just judge the film on its own merits? You're holding the film to a standard it doesn't want to be held to.

It's obvious why Kingsley is recruited to put together a team, he's obviously very effective at getting people to do what he wants. This isn't even subtext. And he wanted Gal (the fat guy) for his team because he wanted to spoil his happiness. And how about leaving to get on a plane as soon as Gal brings up the wife, is that a good enough indication that he was in love, aside from outright stating it? And finally, there is substance to Kingsley's character. He's a deeply unhappy and damaged person who wants to make everyone else as unhappy as him. He's not just psychotic. Anyway fuckhead, stop watching movies so badly.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I didn't seen it mentioned yet, but apparently Netflix signed a big deal with Disney. First-run stuff will start in 2016 and some back catalog stuff will show up today(?)

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Joe Don Baker posted:

I didn't seen it mentioned yet, but apparently Netflix signed a big deal with Disney. First-run stuff will start in 2016 and some back catalog stuff will show up today(?)

They signed a deal to show stuff...three years from now? Why the delay?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

maxnmona posted:

They probably just have other contractual obligations that need to expire first.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

maxnmona posted:

What it means is that instead of new stuff going from theater-->home video-->HBO,etc, then maybe if we're lucky Netflix, it will go from home video to pay TV AND Netflix at the same time. I guess that's sort of a big deal. Plus there will be more movies from the catalog available starting today. I think right now most of Disney's stuff on Netflix are their TV shows.

edit: I wonder if any Star Wars stuff is included in this? I'm guessing not since that would have headlined the press release.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 4, 2012

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

morestuff posted:

They probably just have other contractual obligations that need to expire first.

That's exactly it. Starz holds the rights to Disney's films until 2015.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Joe Don Baker posted:

Really hoping the Disney Afternoon backlog comes to Netflix. I know Gargoyles is already up on their instant stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rirse posted:

Really hoping the Disney Afternoon backlog comes to Netflix. I know Gargoyles is already up on their instant stream.

It seems like such a no-brainer that there must be some sort of legal hold up.

• Locked thread