Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

ReliableSand posted:

So I've been following Wii U post launch. Arin and John from GameGrumps did a video for Nintendo Land's Zelda battle mode and John from the video made it super clear that the sword fighting in the game was the best 1:1 sword fighting he ever played. Better than Skyward Sword. I'm curious to hear from anyone here who can confirm this. Does Motion Plus on a Wii U just work that much better (in particular, better 1:1 sword play than Skyward Sword and Wii Sports Resorts)?

If so, why?

It was a design choice to only have 8 directions of slicing in Skyward Sword, there is no difference in the capabilities of the wii remote plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

ReliableSand posted:

So I've been following Wii U post launch. Arin and John from GameGrumps did a video for Nintendo Land's Zelda battle mode and John from the video made it super clear that the sword fighting in the game was the best 1:1 sword fighting he ever played. Better than Skyward Sword. I'm curious to hear from anyone here who can confirm this. Does Motion Plus on a Wii U just work that much better (in particular, better 1:1 sword play than Skyward Sword and Wii Sports Resorts)?

If so, why?

It doesn't really seem any different to me. Maybe just because it's played in short bursts?

robot roll call fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 3, 2012

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I remember when the 3DS launched there was a NeoGAF thread with a bunch of QR Codes for characters etc. Have there been any threads for the Wii U in this regard? I CTRL+F'd the first twenty pages on GAF but no dice.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ReliableSand posted:

Does Motion Plus on a Wii U just work that much better (in particular, better 1:1 sword play than Skyward Sword and Wii Sports Resorts)?

If so, why?

Actually, it seemed exactly the same as Skyward Sword to me though the enemies were a bit simplified. I figured it was probably the same code underneath.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch
Having played the sword part of Zelda in Nintendoland, I can confirm it is in fact the best swordplay in any game I've ever played.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

ReliableSand posted:

If so, why?

There are potential software reasons for this, such as how you view the results coming off the controller versus previous positions. One thing that makes the motion+ tricky is the magnification of errors over long polling intervals due to the math involved to convert its raw input into meaningful position data.

Or it's all in your head.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Man-Thing posted:

Having played the sword part of Zelda in Nintendoland, I can confirm it is in fact the best swordplay in any game I've ever played.

It sounds like Wiimote/Gamepad co-op is a must for the next Zelda. Imagine, "The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords (And a Bow)."

HugnKiss
Jul 7, 2008

I Don't Want To Grow Up
This is a POV-horror short film solely shot using the cameras on the Wii U's gamepads during a video call, all in one take.

The Blair Wii U Project - http://youtu.be/QQ10w3uduIc

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
So from just looking around, it seems like every single one of the Wii U's big third-party ports is inferior to what can be found on the PS360. The disparity may not be huge, but it's still disappointing for what should be the 'definitive' console versions of these games.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Almost Smart posted:

So from just looking around, it seems like every single one of the Wii U's big third-party ports is inferior to what can be found on the PS360. The disparity may not be huge, but it's still disappointing for what should be the 'definitive' console versions of these games.

Sonic off hand is superior (just needs a patch which is already out in Europe), having more modes and being five player. It is only 30fps, but that is actually true across all versions. Assassins Creed map makes the game so much more playable, and it misses a couple of lighting effects in exchange.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Agreed, Sonic is a worthy pickup, despite the fact that certain areas are currently inaccessible due to Boost Challenge glitches :bahgawd:

It's pretty cheap, it runs great, and it comes with packed in bonuses not included with other versions.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Little Inferno is really addicting, by the time I dragged myself away from it I had an hour and a half on the clock.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Almost Smart posted:

The WiiU uses a very different kind of processor and gpu. It's potentially much more powerful than what's in the 360, but developers probably didn't have time to optimize around it.

No one should buy these ports anyway. Charging sixty drat dollars for old games and poo poo. Serves them right.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bobnumerotres posted:

The WiiU uses a very different kind of processor and gpu. It's potentially much more powerful than what's in the 360, but developers probably didn't have time to optimize around it.

No one should buy these ports anyway. Charging sixty drat dollars for old games and poo poo. Serves them right.

They aren't all old games. Assassin's Creed was out less than a month, Sonic came out on WiiU a couple days before the others, Blops 2 one week later, Nina Gaiden was nearly a new game from the changes, and Tekken has a myriad of exclusive content and included dlc. And as for the whole "Wii U is secretly more powerful, the developers just don't realize it yet", until that is visible in any release, it won't matter one bit.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Wii U not fairing as well in the UK as it did in the US:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/12/03/call-of-duty-blacks-ops-2-not-budging-from-uk-top-spot-wii-u-l/

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

This is true for Germany as well. The only place that seems actually sold out is Amazon, all the big stores have plenty left and people are selling their scalped consoles at or below cost (heh).

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Isn't that due to the ridiculous prices in everywhere not japan/na?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Do those charts include downloads from the eShop?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Bobnumerotres posted:

Isn't that due to the ridiculous prices in everywhere not japan/na?

Yikes, you're probably right... Deluxe is $480~ and the Basic is $400~ in the UK

Not good.

Suaimhneas posted:

Do those charts include downloads from the eShop?

Probably not.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

The console is 300/350€ here, and while that's complete bullshit, $=€ conversion is par for the course. I don't think it registers as outrageously expensive on people's radars, although I probably wouldn't have paid that price either (I paid 290€ for my deluxe).

Caedes
Aug 30, 2002

Veotax posted:

Little Inferno is really addicting, by the time I dragged myself away from it I had an hour and a half on the clock.

Such a great game, I played it right through in one sitting. Well worth the money.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Chat posted:

Has anyone here tried Arkham City for Wii U and PS3? I loved AA but never got around to getting AC and I'd like to try it now, so I'm trying to decide which version to get. I did some searches on comparisons, but all I got was results comparing graphics, all of them saying PS3 is better. Are there any other differences between the two versions?
I have no experience with the PS3 version but I can tell you about the gamepad stuff at least. It's pretty cool, by default you'll always have the map on the pad (like a CastleVania game on DS). Double tap a map location to set a waypoint (tracking shows up on your compass thing on the TV screen). All the radio chatter and phone calls (which I assume are on PS3) have the audio going through the game pad only, which is neat, and adds to the immersive effect if your system is able to do proper surround sound.

Most of the other features are the type of gimmicky things you'd expect (crypographic sequencer minigame on the touch screen, touching gadgets instead of traditional menu selection, viewfinder-style crime scene scan) but the above things are the coolest so far IMO. Also the game supports gamepad-only mode which may or may not be of interest to you.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Katana Gomai posted:

The console is 300/350€ here, and while that's complete bullshit, $=€ conversion is par for the course. I don't think it registers as outrageously expensive on people's radars, although I probably wouldn't have paid that price either (I paid 290€ for my deluxe).

People tend to forget the $ price is excluding tax. Not a big difference, but it is there. What pissed me off was Link's Crossbow training, which was $20 but 30 Euro. I feared it was the first step, but luckily it was just a fluke.

I paid 326 for my deluxe, but I did get my second game at half price so it comes down to 300 roughly.

Katana Gomai posted:

This is true for Germany as well. The only place that seems actually sold out is Amazon, all the big stores have plenty left and people are selling their scalped consoles at or below cost (heh).

Same in the Netherlands. Mediamarkt/Saturn have dozens left and you can still pick em up in toy stores as well. Only place I know of that ran out was a Gamemania which only got 12 in, all reserved.

I look at people offering them for 800 Euro on our version of Craigslist and just smile, especially since over 20 posts below them are offering the same thing at 350.

Now if only there was someone who wanted to get rid of the Zombi U game for 20 bucks or so. I want to try it, but really can't justify spending 60 on it with how polarizing it seems to be. There are hundreds of copies left in stores so I do expect it to end up in the bargain bin quickly, but for some reason console games take forever to get cheaper here.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

zenintrude posted:

Yikes, you're probably right... Deluxe is $480~ and the Basic is $400~ in the UK

Not good.

Video game pricing has been completely bullshit for at least a decade now. Eversince we got the €, companies just stopped doing math and just replaced the currency symbols, which, even taking into account taxes and average income, is completely stupid.

On top of that, the standard price for a game is about 20% lower in the UK than it is in Germany for absolutely no reason, and that's with the GBP being rather expensive. I take great delight in importing everything and buying all PC games on UK/US Steam, saves me at least 50% on everything.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

BioTech posted:

What pissed me off was Link's Crossbow training, which was $20 but 30 Euro. I feared it was the first step, but luckily it was just a fluke.

It's not a fluke, it's the norm. Throughout the DS era, the standard price for a DS game was $30 in the US, 40€ here. Now for a 3DS game, it's $40 US, 45€ here; hell, try are trying to sell Paper Mario for loving 50€. Currently, 360/PS3 (I used Black Ops 2) games are $60 in the US, 70€ here. Sure, those are MSRP and most stores discount them one way or another, but the same is true in the US so it's an apt comparison.

Basically, buy everything at Zavvi/Steam UK and never pay more than 30 GBP for any game. I actually remember getting a DS for $150 (instead of 150€) and like six games for $20-30 each (instead of 40€) when I was in the USA for the release; due to the weak Dollar, the prices came to something stupid like 105€ for the DS and 20€ for the games.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Man-Thing posted:

Also Mass Effect 3 is bad, and Mass Effect 2 is literally transcendent. Highly recommend 2, then just imagine in your head how cool the trilogy could end, and do not play ME3.
Do not listen to this man. Mass Effect 3 is a fantastic game with a lackluster ending. Absolutely play it.

(But do play ME2 at least, first.)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Satisfaction with the story will definitely vary from person to person, but the Mass Effect games are incredible. That said, ME3 is a rip-off on the WiiU right now, you're better off picking it up cheap on PC/360/PS3.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, Mass Effect 3 has in my opinion the best gameplay in the series. The gun handling is better than two and miles better than one, also the skill tree has more to it compared to two. Weakest story though, but I thoroughly enjoyed the game up until the last ten minutes.

Personally I couldn't imagine just playing three though, never played the series without importing a save.

Also consider that they just put out an entire trilogy set for PC/360/PS3.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chaltab posted:

Do not listen to this man. Mass Effect 3 is a fantastic game with a lackluster ending. Absolutely play it.

(But do play ME2 at least, first.)

Agreed. The story is mostly well-written and the ending is considerably better since it was patched. Gameplay's far improved by a greater selection of weapons (though sadly lacking the Heavy Weapons from ME2), and it does away with class firearm specializations. You can also customize weapons with slotted upgrades as well (clip, scope, firepower, that kind of thing)

ME2's good, but it's really a two-act action movie (putting together a literal Dirty Dozen for a suicide mission, then doing pulling it off) compared to the grander scope of the plots of ME1 and ME3. It's not a bad thing, I'm just saying that if you're after story and can only pick one Mass Effect game, pick ME1 or ME3.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 3, 2012

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I wonder if this is because people just don't know there's a new console out. In Denmark (where, granted, there is another distributor than Nintendo) I haven't seen a single commercial or ad. I've seen two in some catalogues, but since then; nothing. Nothing in news papers, nothing at train stations, nothing in television.
Most people I've met simply don't know that Nintendo has just launched a new console.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't think Nintendo has ever really been popular in Europe, all the way back to the days of the Mega Drive. Only weirdos bought Nintendo stuff.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Chat posted:

Has anyone here tried Arkham City for Wii U and PS3? I loved AA but never got around to getting AC and I'd like to try it now, so I'm trying to decide which version to get. I did some searches on comparisons, but all I got was results comparing graphics, all of them saying PS3 is better. Are there any other differences between the two versions?
Wii U version has extra costumes(armored ones for Batman/Catwoman), a weird combo system and some people have complained about frame rate problems. GOTY edition on PS3/360 should actually be cheaper also.

This is worth watching if you still aren't 100% sure

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

greatn posted:

I don't think Nintendo has ever really been popular in Europe, all the way back to the days of the Mega Drive. Only weirdos bought Nintendo stuff.

You are wrong.

Iacen posted:

I wonder if this is because people just don't know there's a new console out.

Same here, I've seen 1 (one) ad for the Wii U here in Germany so far.

lynch_mob23
Dec 7, 2007
ron paul 2008
After finally catching up with the thread, and reading about the issues some have been having with hardware malfunctions, I felt fortunate to not have any. I must have jinxed myself.

I was wondering if anyone has had similar problems as the one I'm now facing. Essentially, I was out and my roommate and his girlfriend were playing NSMBU with wii motes, vs how I play single player with the gamepad. The gamepad sat resting in the cradle, presumably at full charge. The next day I went to turn on the system and the gamepad was completely unresponsive. It won't turn on the system, plugging it in has no indication of it charging or light coming on like it would in the past. I was just messing around, plugged stuff in and out, changed outlets, and finally, without knowing exactly what it was, got the gamepad to turn back on. The next night they were playing again, with the gamepad in the cradle, I sat and watched them play for a few hours, and after they were done, the same issue happened, gamepad unresponsive, and this time I can't get it to turn on.

Anyone else have this issue? Using wiimotes to play NSMBU without the gamepad, and having the gamepad not work by the time they are done?

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
I'm glad I waited to get Scribblenauts on sale because it's getting a little stale. It's a super imaginative game in terms of what you can do, but even with a relatively open sandbox without really challenging puzzles there's only so much replay value to it.

I'm debating just trading it in towards Nintendoland. I wish more stuff was coming sooner but I knew this was where we'd be for a bit. Ah well.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Gendo posted:

I'm glad I waited to get Scribblenauts on sale because it's getting a little stale. It's a super imaginative game in terms of what you can do, but even with a relatively open sandbox without really challenging puzzles there's only so much replay value to it.

I'm debating just trading it in towards Nintendoland. I wish more stuff was coming sooner but I knew this was where we'd be for a bit. Ah well.

Its the type of game where you need to be able to give yourself, self-imposed goals. Because if not you will very quickly figure out a skeleton key that works for you and solves most problems. So if you can do the levels- without doing XXXXX it can be fun and challenging. But that only gets you so far and depends on your personal preference. I could never play Doom on Godmode because it just want fun, Scribblenauts is a game where you play God, and have to limit your powers to have a challenge.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Gendo posted:

Nintendoland has tons of replay value, it's totally worth it.

PS Your messages in NSMBU are the funniest ones

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Thinking when I get home I'll bring up the Sonic patch issue on Miiverse and say how Europe already got it. If everyone on the sa goons friend list yeahs it, maybe it'll appear on the popularity filter and get noticed or something.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Almost Smart posted:

I don't really know why anyone would expect a port to be better, especially on a brand new console... in fact I would expect the opposite experience. That would imply the developers are taking a game they finished months ago and optimizing/changing it rather than just making it work.

Also chiming in to say Nintendoland is fantastic, i've probably put 30 hours into it and that's singleplayer only. The only game I don't like is the dancing game, because it's extremely unforgiving and I can't get past the 4th transition. Also I just found out there are platnium trophies on some games, I earned it for Yoshi's Cart and the balloon game :smug:. I'm 3/4ths the way through all the presents, hopefully the last present is something good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

So Nland has hidden uses for the wiimote as a second player.

F-zero it is extremely useful and can disarm obstacles. DK game it slows down the cart which might be useful...that is debatable.

What else have you guys found?

• Locked thread