Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My Thanksgiving GS3 arrived on Tuesday and I've been using the SpeedTest app the most. I'm in Chicago (Ravenswood), and here's a quick comparison of speeds:

In my apartment, connected to WiFi:

In my apartment, without using WiFi:

Sitting in my car outside my apartment:

This was at Chief O'Neill's last night, in the back room sitting next to the patio windows:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Are people in NV areas seeing the promised deeper building penetration?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Have they even started rolling out CDMA service on the SMR 850MHz band yet? (in places where iDEN's been decommissioned)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

td4guy posted:

Have they even started rolling out CDMA service on the SMR 850MHz band yet? (in places where iDEN's been decommissioned)

No, I'm pretty sure iDEN has to be completely decommissioned.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
Aww shucks!

There are some 800 SMR sites live, but the bulk are awaiting the shutdown of iDEN in 2013.

Imaginos
Mar 3, 2003

I see some conflicting posts saying TOL can still be done. SERO to SERO being the only possible way. I have been sitting on a SERO500 plan and no longer need the second line. Thinking it's time to let it go.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="410163775"]
Are people in NV areas seeing the promised deeper building penetration?

I don't know, I got signal in DFW while on a plane taxiing to it's gate in the A terminal, but once I went through the jetway and into the terminal it was back to 9800 baud. Or 3G. Whatever it's seen by Sprint as being these days. If I wanted to be seeking Wifi at all times to be able to do anything of importance with my phone I would have opted for a different carrier and their caps.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Imaginos posted:

I see some conflicting posts saying TOL can still be done. SERO to SERO being the only possible way. I have been sitting on a SERO500 plan and no longer need the second line. Thinking it's time to let it go.

As far as we know, SERO plans can only be TOL'd to other SERO users, or EPRP users, for use on an extra line. Someone here had trouble with that a while back, but that's the only time I've heard of trouble with it.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Imaginos posted:

A goon was going to give me his SERO line a couple of months ago or so and when we called in they insisted it couldn't be done. My account was the wrong type (it had two SERO lines already), or his was the wrong type, or something, and I called six or seven times trying to get it done and they wouldn't do it.

Then I bought a line two weeks ago off ebay, the seller called it in and they changed it over but claimed they had to put it on EPRP and off SERO, the seller called back in pissed off and they changed it back to SERO. So it can still be done but I don't know what the difference was between the two transfers that one could be done and one couldn't be.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Just got my account marked for etf- free cancelation. Apparently you can call in and have them do this anytime after getting the excessive roaming letter.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="410190350"]
Just got my account marked for etf- free cancelation. Apparently you can call in and have them do this anytime after getting the excessive roaming letter.
How much and for how long were you excessively roaming?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

falz posted:

Check my post history. I used the 00001.prl on my brother's phone. Roamed for 2 months using ~12gb one month and ~8gb the next. Got the letter about a week or so after the second month, saying the line would be terminated a month later. This allowed me to move my three other lines ETF-free.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Is there a preferred or go-to Bluetooth headset? I'm looking at this Groupon and tempted to get one for myself plus two more for my parents. Anyone know if this is any good, or can recommend a good one to get for Christmas?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

falz posted:

I got the letter about a month and a half ago and have been using excessive roaming since mid July I'd guess.

And now that I'm on T-Mobile I can actually get good data speeds (who ever thought that statement would be uttered). Getting between 1.7 and 7 megs down in all the places I normally use my phone, compared to speeds of less than 100 k down on Sprint.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
OK. That's pretty much my plan, just basically pick between T.Mo and Straight Talk once my Nexus 4's arrive.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I wanted to check if there's any specific thing I should push for trying to add a line to a current Sprint account. My family is on Sprint and happy with them, they have acceptable coverage in all three cities we live in. Our contract is up in 7 months and we're very likely to just take a new phone subsidy and resubscribe. My girlfriend's contract with AT&T is up, and we want to add her line to our family plan. Can we add a line and get a subsidized phone for her, or should she get a secondhand / refurb phone and hang out for 7 months until we all get new phones?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Add a line and get a subsidized phone. Each line always has its own contract date - you're never obligated to do multiple lines all at once.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
What's a broken-screen Palm Pre with TEP likely to get replaced with these days? Am I correct in assuming it would be a $50 deductible? Or would it be $100? $100 it is. What a loving joke. I'll throw the other screen I have on it, and shop for a goddamn iPhone 4 for that price.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 4, 2012

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Is there a preferred or go-to Bluetooth headset? I'm looking at this Groupon and tempted to get one for myself plus two more for my parents. Anyone know if this is any good, or can recommend a good one to get for Christmas?

Any thoughts on this?

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

sirbeefalot posted:

What's a broken-screen Palm Pre with TEP likely to get replaced with these days? Am I correct in assuming it would be a $50 deductible? Or would it be $100? $100 it is. What a loving joke. I'll throw the other screen I have on it, and shop for a goddamn iPhone 4 for that price.

You can buy a pre for less than 100.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Giblet posted:

You can buy a pre for less than 100.

Exactly. I'll be self insuring in this case, and I've removed the TEP from this and the other Pre on our plan. loving scam, that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Any thoughts on this?

I don't know about that one but I've heard good stuff about the Jabra Jawbone ones. They go for more than $30 though.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Jabra bought Aliph/Jawbone?

I'll vouch for the Jawbone products; I've had great success with every single one of them I've owned*

*until I lose it.

You can get the older models pretty cheap on Amazon or places like Bens Bargains/1SaleaDay

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Any thoughts on this?

Hard to say since I don't know the model, but $30 is cheap. Personally I am a fan of Blueant, but in general the best buy are Jawbone, Blue Ant or the Plantronics Voyager line (some people like high end Motorola ones, I'm a bit meh on them). Samsung I honestly don't have much experience with beyond their low and mid tier, I would think a higher up one works well, so if you don't mind losing $30 go ahead and risk it with the samsungn, 60-70% chance it ends up being good.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ryanbruce posted:

Jabra bought Aliph/Jawbone?

I'll vouch for the Jawbone products; I've had great success with every single one of them I've owned*

*until I lose it.

You can get the older models pretty cheap on Amazon or places like Bens Bargains/1SaleaDay

I think I'm mistaken on that. On further research I can't fully substantiate it, but Jabra seems to make a lot of poo poo that goes with the Jawbone earpieces, leading me to believe it was like a Monster Beats kind of thing where nobody calls those stupid headphones Monster unless they're pointing out them as a continuation of Monster's legacy of selling overpriced poo poo to audiophiles.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Well, free shipping and free returns on what's normally a $100 unit. What the hell, I'll take a chance on it.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

sirbeefalot posted:

Exactly. I'll be self insuring in this case, and I've removed the TEP from this and the other Pre on our plan. loving scam, that.

I usually leave TEP on until I can buy a replacement for decently close to the cost of the deductible.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I'm too lazy to track down a link, but I saw a leaked memo about an upcoming BOGO sale on Samsung phones, including the GS3. When carriers do buy one, get one deals, how does that work as far as contract details go? Do you only have to have one line with an available upgrade in order to get the two phones, or does the BOGO effectively consume two upgrades (and the second line just gets the phone for free)?

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

brc64 posted:

I'm too lazy to track down a link, but I saw a leaked memo about an upcoming BOGO sale on Samsung phones, including the GS3. When carriers do buy one, get one deals, how does that work as far as contract details go? Do you only have to have one line with an available upgrade in order to get the two phones, or does the BOGO effectively consume two upgrades (and the second line just gets the phone for free)?

Two lines need to be available for upgrades. It consumes both upgrades.

Getimmaaw
Dec 22, 2006
I got my SGN II, last sunday. Wow, the battery on this thing is beastly. I had 23hrs on battery with 4hrs on screen time, with moderate texting, and web surfing. Amazing.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Getimmaaw posted:

I got my SGN II, last sunday. Wow, the battery on this thing is beastly. I had 23hrs on battery with 4hrs on screen time, with moderate texting, and web surfing. Amazing.

Yeah. Mine would last for days if I actually got any kind of reception at my work. Sadly, I do not.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Hey ender, how's your 4G LTE situation these days? We finally started picking it up at our house now. I noticed the icon on my wife's Galaxy Nexus last night...

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
I've been getting 1-2 bars in certain parts of the house since I got the iPhone 5 but recently I've been seeing 2-3 bars. Also getting full bars at Whataburger and Tom Thumb. I also got LTE for a minute when I was going into the office in October, but I haven't had to go in since then.

So definitely improved coverage areas and speeds anytime I'm on LTE are good to excellent.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Ender.uNF posted:

speeds anytime I'm on LTE are good to excellent.

I seem to only get about 2-3mbit most of the time, except for one day where I was nailing 10+ consistently. This is in Dallas..

The 27k test was on 3G, the rest of those are all LTE (aside from the one wifi). Even on LTE I'm having issues streaming from Google Play Music. Doesn't help that the phone will hop on 3G if the 4G signal is remotely weak. :shepicide: I can force it to 4G only and it'll usually stay on it, but the speed is still lacking..

edit: just tried another test. Granted, this is indoors, but I'm right by a window. I get similar speeds if I stand in the yard, so welp..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 8, 2012

Goontastic
Feb 2, 2011
Got a quick question about the discount verification. Can we just go into a corporate store and show them our pay stub to get it reapplied after upgrading, or does it have to be emailed/faxed?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Goontastic posted:

Got a quick question about the discount verification. Can we just go into a corporate store and show them our pay stub to get it reapplied after upgrading, or does it have to be emailed/faxed?

A corp store may be ale to, but if you can fax it just do that and be done with it.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Duckman2008 posted:

A corp store may be ale to, but if you can fax it just do that and be done with it.

At least is my region all corporate stores just give you the forms to fax I am yourself. They actually took away our fax machine and specifically told us not to use e fax for verification forms.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Does the EVO 3D have a poorer antenna than other phones? I'm finding myself increasingly frustrated by the lack of service around town, and I really don't remember it being this much of an issue with my Evo 4G.

Do the new phones (like the S3) support the 800 MHz band once Sprint starts turns that on, or are we going to have to wait for a new generation of phones before that will happen?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

brc64 posted:

Does the EVO 3D have a poorer antenna than other phones? I'm finding myself increasingly frustrated by the lack of service around town, and I really don't remember it being this much of an issue with my Evo 4G.

Do the new phones (like the S3) support the 800 MHz band once Sprint starts turns that on, or are we going to have to wait for a new generation of phones before that will happen?

Compared to the Evo 4G when my wife had it, and now her Galaxy2 now, it seems so. In some spots that had no service with the 3D, she'd have it with either one of the other phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

brc64 posted:

According to Wikipedia the S3 does, don't know about other current phones though.