Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

StellarX posted:

I do have to agree that Link to the Past is pretty much the only one I can pick up and play through without getting annoyed nowdays. It seems like the newer the game, the longer that intro/tutorial phase is.

Yep, this is basically the reason I haven't replayed Wind Waker or Twilight Princess. It takes forever to get going. LttP's "tutorial" section is full of intrigue and places you right in the meat of the story and you get your sword almost immediately. Majora's Mask is the only 3D game that dumps you right in the middle of an urgent situation from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I just set it to public but it might take a while to show up. I thought invite only would send me a message when someone asked for membership. Think it makes it so I'd have to manually invite everyone.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Discount Viscount posted:

Majora's Mask is the only 3D game that dumps you right in the middle of an urgent situation from the start.

Majora's Mask is also the only 3D game that requires you to do the same things over and over and over and over and over and over again either because you like exploring or for some sort of event sequence. If it weren't for that, I'd like the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kreeblah posted:

Majora's Mask is also the only 3D game that requires you to do the same things over and over and over and over and over and over again either because you like exploring or for some sort of event sequence. If it weren't for that, I'd like the game.

You actually don't. There's only two things you really have to repeat tasks for and they're both for sidequests (Specifically the Razor Sword and the Marriage quest). One is the Snowhead bossfight (so you can win the Gold Dust in the Goron Race), and the other is the robbery on the First Night.

edit: Oh wait, there is actually one you have to retread a few days worth of stuff for - The Postman's Cap You get a letter for the Mayor's wife on the last day and you have two different people it can go to. Giving it to the Postman means she'll see he's still around and tell him he can flee.

Aside from those, there's no reason why each 3-Day cycle isn't spent doing something different (especially with the inverted Song of Time).

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 3, 2012

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
There isn't really an active PSP thread like this, plus it's Gradius related - anyone wanna sell me their copy of Gradius Collection before I hit the eBays?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I've only finished Link to the Past. That is my favourite Zelda. I think i actually finished it a couple of times, back in the day.

The 3D Zelda games, i have never finished OoT and Twilight Princess. Played both around the time they came out, never really got into them. (I think i got stuck in both, lost interest). I think i grew out of RPGs in general, but i loved Zelda and Terranigma when they came out.

I only see one mention of CD-I Zelda in this thread, but every time i see those cutscenes i laugh. It's right up there with "Excuse me princess!" in how bad/hilarious it is.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

The clue from the old man at the end of dungeon 6?

SOUTH OF ARROW MARKS A SECRET
Granted it's not super obvious but if you've made it that far in the game you could figure it out.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You actually don't. There's only two things you really have to repeat tasks for...

Aside from those, there's no reason why each 3-Day cycle isn't spent doing something different (especially with the inverted Song of Time).

Anytime I went near that one Deku scrub merchant thing in the village, I'd have to sit through the same awful cutscene every time. Of all my frustrations with the game, that stuck out the most.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You actually don't. There's only two things you really have to repeat tasks for and they're both for sidequests (Specifically the Razor Sword and the Marriage quest). One is the Snowhead bossfight (so you can win the Gold Dust in the Goron Race), and the other is the robbery on the First Night.

edit: Oh wait, there is actually one you have to retread a few days worth of stuff for - The Postman's Cap You get a letter for the Mayor's wife on the last day and you have two different people it can go to. Giving it to the Postman means she'll see he's still around and tell him he can flee.

If you know exactly what you're doing and where things are, sure. If you don't, it's a huge exercise in frustration to have to wind back time and then re-kill bosses or re-do events so you can keep exploring what you were exploring before. It's really irritating that the game actively penalizes people for not using a walkthrough.

the_lion posted:

I only see one mention of CD-I Zelda in this thread, but every time i see those cutscenes i laugh. It's right up there with "Excuse me princess!" in how bad/hilarious it is.

As bad as the cutscenes are, the gameplay is worse. Imagine controls as stiff as Castlevania 1's on (rather gorgeous, I'll admit) backgrounds that aren't always clear regarding details like just how far platforms extend over pits.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Kreeblah posted:

As bad as the cutscenes are, the gameplay is worse. Imagine controls as stiff as Castlevania 1's on (rather gorgeous, I'll admit) backgrounds that aren't always clear regarding details like just how far platforms extend over pits.

I've never actually met anyone that has actually played the game (or even who owns a CD-I), but i'll take your word for it! I've seen the Angry Video Game Nerd ep where has was playing it ages ago and i was gob smacked.

It reminded me to watch the Zelda II Nerd video too. I had forgotten how hard that game was.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Everything in the Nerd videos is absolutely true. The console could have been serviceable as a gaming platform but it's biggest downfall is it only supports 2 buttons: Action Button One and Action Button Two. Now design your games around that. Oddly, every controller (even third party ones) I've seen have 3 or more buttons but they don't do anything. Did Phillips issue an order that nobody could use more than two buttons except when navigating movies???

I have a CDi 400 (well, it's broken now gently caress) and trying to play WoG with the loving SPOON is impossible. Whoever designed it is hopefully not design hardware ever.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

Everything in the Nerd videos is absolutely true. The console could have been serviceable as a gaming platform but it's biggest downfall is it only supports 2 buttons: Action Button One and Action Button Two. Now design your games around that. Oddly, every controller (even third party ones) I've seen have 3 or more buttons but they don't do anything. Did Phillips issue an order that nobody could use more than two buttons except when navigating movies???

I have a CDi 400 (well, it's broken now gently caress) and trying to play WoG with the loving SPOON is impossible. Whoever designed it is hopefully not design hardware ever.

The hardest I ever laughed was in the AVGN video where he's showing off the controllers on the CDi. 2nd player controller is on the BACK? Also there was some game that was literally just a menu system (like a DVD menu) and even that had bad controls somehow.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

The hardest I ever laughed was in the AVGN video where he's showing off the controllers on the CDi. 2nd player controller is on the BACK? Also there was some game that was literally just a menu system (like a DVD menu) and even that had bad controls somehow.

Actually, the port on back is an additional I/O port for "non-pointing devices" and I don't think the CD-i natively supports two "pointing devices" at once. If you want two player setup, you need to buy an optional splitter!

That's assuming there are two player CD-i games because I don't think any were supported. The 400 models don't even have a second input.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Also: If I remember correctly, every sound that the CD-i plays technically has to be Redbook CD Audio in some form. The system really wasn't very well thought out at all...

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The 16 and 32-bit eras were just a crazy time where everyone and anyone seemed up for taking a crack at a console. EA pushed the 3DO, Atari had the Jaguar, there was the TurboGrafX, and even the "winners" of the era did crazy poo poo, like the Genesis' life support system (32X and CD) and Nintendo's wtf-inducing Virtual Boy.

What a time it was. As I was born in 1987 it was right in the prime of my childhood. Feels good, man.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

You bastards are making me want to spend money again.

I've spent enough already!

Sadly times got tough a few weeks back and the DC had to be sold. I can get another, it just sucks since it was boxed etc. :smith:

Also I am now bidding on this fucker...

$300? loving steal. There's also a Metal Slug X and Badlands I'm watching in case this one falls through. R.O.B is currently sitting on my desk. He's seriously incomplete, and seized up, but he's the only one I've seen come up for a long, long time and I love him anyway.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

elf help book posted:

I've actually got OOT 3DS coming in the mail right now. So, soon I will understand 1998.

Can't move too fast.
You're in for a treat. I bought OOT at release and never beat it. The 3DS version makes it unnecessary to spend lots of time in the item selection screen (being able to equip the heavy boots made the water temple quite enjoyable). The cleaned up graphics also make it quite a bit easier to see what's going on.

My issue with the game is essentially Hyrule Field. They nailed the 3d dungeons, and most of the overworld is good (ie not boring), but that damned field is lame.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

thedouche posted:

You're in for a treat. I bought OOT at release and never beat it. The 3DS version makes it unnecessary to spend lots of time in the item selection screen (being able to equip the heavy boots made the water temple quite enjoyable). The cleaned up graphics also make it quite a bit easier to see what's going on.

My issue with the game is essentially Hyrule Field. They nailed the 3d dungeons, and most of the overworld is good (ie not boring), but that damned field is lame.

The 3D zeldas have always had a problem with the overworld being largely empty.

Hyrule Field is huge and sparsely populated. The same field in Twilight Princess suffers from that as well, but they made it larger I think.

And Skyloft. Sorry, but the sky of Skyloft sucks.

(okay, sailing is relaxing, but more than one person will tell you they found the Hyrule seas very boring to cross through in WW)

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
What the gently caress. I'm 50 and I loved OoT.
Don't extrapolate from your own taste and expect mine to mirror yours.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

techknight posted:

Also I think that Zelda 1 was fine when released, but is crap now because of discoverability. You can't make progress using only in-game resources without randomly bombing all the squares, so I don't think it's right to keep praising it. Same deal with Metroid 1 and 2 not having a map feature.

This is a well thought out post that acknowledges the importance of Zelda (And Metroid) in historical context. It also points out that there have been demonstrable advances in the science of game design.

cosmicjim posted:

Doesn't sound like valid excuses to me.
Just say, "we don't have the patience."

This is victim blame.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Antillese posted:

This is victim blame.

It's pointing out who's bad at games :c00l:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Antillese posted:

This is victim blame.

Anyone know the number for the "I Can't Beat The Legend of Zelda Victim's Hotline"?

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

I successfully finished The Legend of Zelda the first time when I got it as an ambassador game for the 3DS (as well as finishing Link's Awakening and OOT, the 3DS was a major Zelda catalyst, come on Majora's Mask). I really only had to use a faq twice. I don't remember why I had to use it the first time, but I did need some help finding the right place to push for the magic sword.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Why aren't you guys using your NES Atlas?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

elf help book posted:

Why aren't you guys using your NES Atlas?

All I have is this piece of crap:

Link, why you so old... and brown?!

[edit] Is that tank shooting a carrot? WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING HERE?!

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

zenintrude posted:

All I have is this piece of crap:

Link, why you so old... and brown?!

[edit] Is that tank shooting a carrot? WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING HERE?!

I had two of those line of guides as a kid.

Both covers were very much :wtc:.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Was the other one blue? I think I had a blue one.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

elf help book posted:

Was the other one blue? I think I had a blue one.

I think they went cheap and divided that crappy yellow one into even crappier blue and red ones... it's like Pokemon G1 in reverse:

That, or they're all identical... like Pokemon G1.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Yeeep, those were the ones I had. I didn't even realize the split covers until now. :psyduck:

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Even as a kid, I couldn't get anywhere NEAR finishing Zelda 1. It felt so cryptic and obtuse that I had no idea what to do, where to go, or even what the gently caress the items were supposed to be (or used on). Everytime I tried to give it a chance, I always got permastuck in a dungeon with no bombs left or whatever. Zelda 2 was also horrible but I think I made more progress on it than I did the first.

I was used to DOS games like King's Quest and whatever else so at least you would get feedback on what you typed and extrapolate clues through detailed observation. Zelda seemed more like a mashed together jigsaw puzzle with mis-matched parts and I hated it.

Phantom Hourglass supremacy

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Ahh yes, I had the blue one. I remember Q*Bert and Three Stooges. Wonder if I still have that.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

iastudent posted:

Yeeep, those were the ones I had. I didn't even realize the split covers until now. :psyduck:

Why is the tank shooting a different vegetable (fruit?) :iiam:

The Joe Man posted:

You are a goddamned crazy person... keep on shining.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

zenintrude posted:

Why is the tank shooting a different vegetable (fruit?) :iiam:

You are a goddamned crazy person... keep on shining.

I played it on a laptop. The sequel with the train seems pretty bad though.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Speaking of which, I plan on building an emulation box in the somewhat near/middling future. NES, SNES, SMS, SG, SCD, S32X...any other good systems to add? I'd lump in N64 but the only controllers I plan on buying are 2 of these when the price drops again: http://www.madcatz.com/sfxtekken/fightpads.html

Plan on it being a Win7 box that can double as a decent desktop using a TV (HDMI) as display output. How much is too much in terms of hardware? It's not for me and she won't be playing new games on it but if I'm going to build it, I might as well make it last. Need help figuring out where the overkill point is though.

EDIT: Also planning on using it to stream movies from the HD. Nice quality but not BlueRay. Don't want it to stutter.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

The Joe Man posted:

Speaking of which, I plan on building an emulation box in the somewhat near/middling future. NES, SNES, SMS, SG, SCD, S32X...any other good systems to add? I'd lump in N64 but the only controllers I plan on buying are 2 of these when the price drops again: http://www.madcatz.com/sfxtekken/fightpads.html

Plan on it being a Win7 box that can double as a decent desktop using a TV (HDMI) as display output. How much is too much in terms of hardware? It's not for me and she won't be playing new games on it but if I'm going to build it, I might as well make it last. Need help figuring out where the overkill point is though.

EDIT: Also planning on using it to stream movies from the HD. Nice quality but not BlueRay. Don't want it to stutter.

This is almost spot on to what you're looking for.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

The Joe Man posted:

Add me to the pile of people that really enjoyed this. I actually thought the dungeon that you had to replay repeatedly to get further and further was a great gimmick. It was so awesome to finally gently caress up those guards!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

The Joe Man posted:

PC Engine/TG16 or get the gently caress out.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Joe Man posted:

If you're not planning to PC game, don't bother with a dedicated graphics card. Also, especially if you intend to do more recent consoles like PS2/Gamecube/Dreamcast, you will want a CPU with a fast clock speed (as in as many GHz as you can get), this is more important than multiple cores for this usage.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

The Joe Man posted:

As long as you're not trying to go super cheap with an intel atom (or amd's equivalent), you should be fine. Even the cheapest pentiums and core i3 will be more than enough for most emulation and video playback. If you want to emulate ps2 and/or gc/wii games, you need the beefiest processor you can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I had this one, and a single thing sticks out at me to this very day. Obviously, the people writing it had basically zero experience with video games, and this led to the eternally-amazing caption "Grab this evil agent of Quickman before he zaps you with a laser beam." The screenshot being captioned was of Megaman falling down to grab the 1UP on the one screen with a big energy sphere and a 1UP, both with screen lasers partially fired.

• Locked thread