Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

XyloJW posted:

My neighbor, who drives a Ron Paulmobile (covered in bumper stickers and decals) and Sons of Confederate Veterans license plate, posted this lovely thing on Facebook. It's Bing Crosby, singing "Dixie." Just because it's a nice song, that's all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7eDnzEjwOU

I'm still wondering how these people have resolved the cognitive dissonance created by being some of the most jingoistic, nationalistic Americans while also being such fans of the Confederacy.

In almost any country and any war I can think of, the losers shut the gently caress up and stop displaying their side's flag, but somehow the Confederate Flag (a battle flag, no less) is incredibly popular and these people are proud that their ancestors were literally traitors to their own country. The Confederates were not only traitors, but also hinged their entire philosophy and founding documents on owning slaves. How these people aren't ashamed as of this is just confusing to me. Are there many people in Germany who are proud that their ancestors were Nazis? How many Italians are proud of their relatives being Black Shirts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
While there are people exactly like you quote, this guy doesn't fall for the typical patriotic jingoism--he's a hardcore Ron Paul libertarian, and as such, hates most of what America is, and doesn't give a poo poo about patriotic nonsense.

He also insists it's all about state's rights. It's just a total coincidence that he's posting literal blackface videos.

I recently read an article about how Germany's modern army faces a huge social stigma--you don't go around and tell people that in Germany. You're also explicitly instructed to question orders, and you're told you will face no consequences if you refuse to obey an order that you have a moral qualm with. The whole structure to the army is supposedly one of atonement.

Compare that, with say,

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

XyloJW posted:

While there are people exactly like you quote, this guy doesn't fall for the typical patriotic jingoism--he's a hardcore Ron Paul libertarian, and as such, hates most of what America is, and doesn't give a poo poo about patriotic nonsense.

He also insists it's all about state's rights. It's just a total coincidence that he's posting literal blackface videos.

I recently read an article about how Germany's modern army faces a huge social stigma--you don't go around and tell people that in Germany. You're also explicitly instructed to question orders, and you're told you will face no consequences if you refuse to obey an order that you have a moral qualm with. The whole structure to the army is supposedly one of atonement.

Compare that, with say,

It's a tradition.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There was a really good post about that on here about a month ago. Something about how Southerners are really gung-ho about the Battle Flag because that's just about the only thing they can be proud of from the South's history. The South has a proud military tradition. They can't really be proud of its poverty, or racism, or history of oppression, or slavery, so they latch onto the military.

It's an important point that the flag is the battle flag of Lee's army, not the Confederate flag itself, which is worse anyway.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Even in my backwoods hometown, this is the only individual who still considers the Tea Party A Thing.

I think I understand what kind of sense this makes to her, but it's breaking my brain to be able to do it.
What does this even mean?

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Obviously, this bit of political satire is far too complex for your simple Lieberal brain, Mr. Liebral. :smug:

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

They're tired of liberals bringing facts like "Bush was a lovely president" and "the republican party has a lot of questionable stances on race relations" into their arguments.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Just pointing out how ridiculous it is that silly liberals still occasionally bring up the Bush presidency, when the fact is that none of the policies or initiatives his administration is responsible for even impact us anymore. Ancient history, man.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Arglebargle III posted:

There was a really good post about that on here about a month ago. Something about how Southerners are really gung-ho about the Battle Flag because that's just about the only thing they can be proud of from the South's history. The South has a proud military tradition. They can't really be proud of its poverty, or racism, or history of oppression, or slavery, so they latch onto the military.

It's an important point that the flag is the battle flag of Lee's army, not the Confederate flag itself, which is worse anyway.

It's probably just because the CSA's national flag changed like 8 times over the course of the war, so it's easier to latch onto the battle flag which remained relatively unchanged.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

prahanormal posted:

They're tired of liberals bringing facts like "Bush was a lovely president" and "the republican party has a lot of questionable stances on race relations" into their arguments.

I literally had a guy complain that Liberals "always bring up some article or source to back up their arguments."

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Armyman25 posted:

I literally had a guy complain that Liberals "always bring up some article or source to back up their arguments."

This fits in nicely with Colbert's satire on not reading books.

dorquemada
Dec 22, 2001

Goddamn Textual Tyrannosaurus

Xyven posted:

It's probably just because the CSA's national flag changed like 8 times over the course of the war, so it's easier to latch onto the battle flag which remained relatively unchanged.
And looks a shitload better than the stars and bars, I might add.

I'm not sure why, but horrible racists have a real eye for good looking flags. Between Imperial Japan, Nazi Germany, and the CSA, it's hard to pick the best. I guess if your ideology is too loathsome to think about, having an attractive flag is a substitute.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

I like how South Carolina's flag looks like it could belong to a state in the Middle East:

FanofPortals
Sep 22, 2006

BILL FILLMAFF'S GREATEST DISAPPOINTMENT

Mitchicon posted:

I like how South Carolina's flag looks like it could belong to a state in the Middle East:

Clearly SC is going to become Dearborn, MI in no time now. What would Glenn Beck do to stop this upcoming tragedy? :ohdear:

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

FanofPortals posted:

Clearly SC is going to become Dearborn, MI in no time now. What would Glenn Beck do to stop this upcoming tragedy? :ohdear:

Clearly, this is the influence of Sharia Law whatever that he has been warning us about...it just happened in 1775. :tinfoil:

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Actually, SC changed their flag a number of times. Relevantly, they changed their flag to the Confederate Battle Flag in response to the Brown v. Board of Education ruling that ended Separate But Equal in the 1950's.

E: Not true, not sure what state I was thinking of.

E2: Okay, so in 1961, they began to fly the Confederate Battle Flag alongside the state flag, in opposition to integration, and continued to fly the flag there until 2000.

XyloJW fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 3, 2012

dorquemada
Dec 22, 2001

I've been seeing this article's content circulating in the righty email-o-sphere:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-11-27/when-work-punished-tragedy-americas-welfare-state

The lucky ducky in question is a single mother of 3, all of whom are under 13.

The cliff-inducing dropoffs are state benefits. The actual punchline is that the bigass yellow benefit, the childcare benefit, is only available if you're working full time and is only usable for daycare. Nevermind, of course, that that whoppng $12.5K won't properly cover childcare for 3 kids, or that the median annual wage is $26K.

http://www.dpw.state.pa.us/forchildren/childcareearlylearning/childcareworkssubsidizedchildcareprogram/index.htm

The huge 'reward' she gets for not working is that the state pays for childcare while she works full time. Remember the umbrage the right took about Ann Romney and how raising kids is a full time job?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
Welfare traps are a legitimate thing but are a consequence not of having welfare but of having it poorly-designed(i.e. not having it taper off).

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
For starters with that chart, housing is the biggest bar of help for low income people, that's all fine and all except for the fact huge numbers of poor people don't live in subsidized housing. Next up is food stamps which for most bars its in seems to look like it's making up almost $5,000 a year. For a single mom who in fact has also just a single child, the max benefit you can get in my state(CT) is $367, which comes out to just over $4,400 a year. Problem there is to actually get that much you'd have to be pretty far down on income. The stop hunger in CT website has a calculator that estimates potential SNAP benefits. I did some with a take home pay after taxes of $380 a week and a rent of $750, while saying I didn't pay for daycare since I'm mooching of the Care 4 Kids program obviously. Calculator estimates $170 a month. Sure, she could hit the $5,000 a year mark just about probably if she had two kids instead of one, but she could also get a lot less if she was a woman with 2 kids who made say a whopping $12 an hour since I used a pretty drat low income for the the one child scenario.

Meanwhile childcare isn't a set value in what they pay, and on top of it, they're not getting any benefits for themselves, someone else is getting paid to take care of their child so they can go work for $10.50 a loving hour. Or in fact maybe even $20 an hour. That graph shows a great thing, Care 4 Kids here and it would appear childcare programs in other states is actually open to huge amounts of people because the income limits are so high. This was designed specifically so people could go to work. Poor people wouldn't be able to go to work period if they didn't have a relative to watch their children, and higher income people would have the choice between staying at home, or spending 1/2 their income on daycare. People who are a bit higher and just over the limit are getting screwed. Maybe this would be good reason to expand the program for everyone, hell shoot the income limit up to $500,000 a year. I mean, why wouldn't someone want to do that, why are you punishing people for wanting to work?

As for the health care bars, maybe the job creators should provide some healthcare instead. Basically, gently caress that graph. Truly a single mom with 2 kids at $15,000 a year income is living the loving life compared to the $70,000 a year mom she's apparently equal to.

e:
In fact going on what the poster above said, the only two "cliffs" that happen are from subsidized housing which a lot of poor people don't have to begin with and Care 4 Kids, or whatever it's called there, which is already open to a hell of a lot of people and should be open for everyone. So you know, just taper one, and open the other up to everyone given the huge amounts of people already in it. Plus, the Care 4 Kids bars is disingenuous, those bars can go much further up the income scale depending on how many kids you have, especially if you have more than one young enough to be in daycare at once, at least here anyways.
http://www.ctcare4kids.com/care-4-kids-program/income-guidelines/
Here if you have a family of 4, two parents, one child already being covered by the program, and another one about to be enrolled in daycare, income limits can actually reach over $60,000
Also, how many parents at over $60,000 a year are actually on the children's health care program? I mean regardless if they're actually eligible, jobs at that income level usually have employers actually giving their employees insurance.

Amused to Death fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 3, 2012

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Mitchicon posted:

Welcome to Dubai!

I'm actually legitimately surprised someone hasn't tried to get that changed.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Walter posted:

Welcome to Dubai!

I'm actually legitimately surprised someone hasn't tried to get that changed.

Reminds me of this.

http://wonkette.com/415396/is-there-a-reason-why-terrorist-south-carolina-has-a-muslim-flag

South Carolina would never change their flag, almost every South Carolinian I've ever met has been a Texas level state flag fetishist.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Amused to Death posted:

e:
In fact going on what the poster above said, the only two "cliffs" that happen are from subsidized housing which a lot of poor people don't have to begin with and Care 4 Kids, or whatever it's called there, which is already open to a hell of a lot of people and should be open for everyone. So you know, just taper one, and open the other up to everyone given the huge amounts of people already in it. Plus, the Care 4 Kids bars is disingenuous, those bars can go much further up the income scale depending on how many kids you have, especially if you have more than one young enough to be in daycare at once, at least here anyways.

I think there are a lot more than just two. Medicaid springs to mind as having a huge dropoff, considering owning $2000 in assets (not income--pawnable assets that you haven't sold off to try to pay for your health) invalidates you, and the average payment for the worst health insurance is $5000/year.

Honestly, I'm glad that graph is so complicated--I don't see anyone really forwarding it or defending it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

XyloJW posted:

I think there are a lot more than just two. Medicaid springs to mind as having a huge dropoff, considering owning $2000 in assets (not income--pawnable assets that you haven't sold off to try to pay for your health) invalidates you, and the average payment for the worst health insurance is $5000/year.

It was quite a revelation for me to learn that part of entering elder care and qualifying for benefits is "spending down" your assets--in other words, transferring your wealth to the health care industry.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

XyloJW posted:

Actually, SC changed their flag a number of times. Relevantly, they changed their flag to the Confederate Battle Flag in response to the Brown v. Board of Education ruling that ended Separate But Equal in the 1950's.

E: Not true, not sure what state I was thinking of.

E2: Okay, so in 1961, they began to fly the Confederate Battle Flag alongside the state flag, in opposition to integration, and continued to fly the flag there until 2000.

Now they (I'd say we but I only live here, do not identify with here) only fly it BELOW the state flag. And you know by itself on a dedicated flagpole on the state house grounds.

hurritage not hate you guys seriously come on.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
"Why can't you southerners just assimilate and be Americans like everyone else?"

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
I went to a catholic middle school. It's funny to see how most of us have matured, and some of us have moved away from the church, there are a few who have doubled-down on the at any cost pro-life stance of the church.

I know these sorts of arguments are made but to see it in meme format is particularly annoying. :rolleyes:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

XyloJW posted:

Honestly, I'm glad that graph is so complicated--I don't see anyone really forwarding it or defending it.

The problem is the graph is only complicated if you actually want to think about it, at which point you may start to realize it's disingenuous as all hell. Most people will just see however "Look, because of :siren: welfare :siren: and my money being taken, someone making $15,000 a year is living better than someone making $65,000 a year."

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Breadallelogram posted:

2) Only in America could people claim that the government still
discriminates against black Americans when they have a black
President, a black Attorney General, and roughly 18% of the
federal workforce is black while only 12% of the population is
black.
Even assuming this number is accurate, it's shocking that major Federal infrastructure in the DC and Baltimore metro areas would reflect the local demographics (which include a higher percentage of African Americans than many other parts of the US), and twice as shocking that those employment areas might impact the overall numbers of Federal employment statistics.

NUMBERS. :bahgawd:

JakBauer
Nov 13, 2003

BAH BAH BAH
Latest thing on FB seems to be people who are more angry about Bob Costas's comments about the Jovan Belcher incident than about the actual murder itself. Not getting into the gun control debate, but can't these people get some perspective?

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

JakBauer posted:

Latest thing on FB seems to be people who are more angry about Bob Costas's comments about the Jovan Belcher incident than about the actual murder itself. Not getting into the gun control debate, but can't these people get some perspective?

There is no perspective. No horror is too great. No act tragic enough to even question whether the persons involved should have had access to a firearm.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

quote:

7) Only in America could you need to present a driver's license to
cash a check or buy alcohol, but not to vote.

XyloJW posted:

America and every other country in the world.
Huh? I think in most developed nations you need to present some form of ID before voting.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Herman Merman posted:

Huh? I think in most developed nations you need to present some form of ID before voting.

The difference is almost all those countries have national ID programs, which are then used as voter IDs. Guess which group of people is also against national IDs in the US?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Amused to Death posted:

The problem is the graph is only complicated if you actually want to think about it, at which point you may start to realize it's disingenuous as all hell. Most people will just see however "Look, because of :siren: welfare :siren: and my money being taken, someone making $15,000 a year is living better than someone making $65,000 a year."

I was really tired when I looked at it, and it took me a minute to figure out what the different axes represent, and I guarantee you people don't do that to figure out how different positions compare. They look at the title and see which direction the line is going. The title isn't descriptive, and there're like 5 different lines, no one's going to get any info out of that that'll change their mind.

Herman Merman posted:

Driver's license isn't required anywhere to vote, I don't think. Point out they're wrong, even if it's pedantic, then they'll actually think about how stupid the premise is.

VVV I don't think he was arguing for voter ID, but saying that my statement was inaccurate because every other country does require voter ID.

XyloJW fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 4, 2012

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Herman Merman posted:

These countries, as far as I know, do not have a deep history of using ID as a means to disenfranchise voters. Combine voter ID with a robust national ID program that was targeted at going through great lengths to ensure everyone has free ID. Then maybe you will see stronger support.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

archangelwar posted:

These countries, as far as I know, do not have a deep history of using ID as a means to disenfranchise voters. Combine voter ID with a robust national ID program that was targeted at going through great lengths to ensure everyone has free ID. Then maybe you will see stronger support.

Not from Republicans you wouldn't. Protecting the electoral process isn't their goal.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Herman Merman posted:

You don't need ID in Australia, but then again we have mandatory voting laws.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

TheIllestVillain posted:

You don't need ID in Australia, but then again we have mandatory voting laws.

And you put your ballot in a Kangaroo's pouch. That would be adorable.

:allears:

dorquemada
Dec 22, 2001

Polymerized Cum posted:

There is no perspective. No horror is too great. No act tragic enough to even question whether the persons involved should have had access to a firearm.
I've seen those, too, but unfortunately the gun nuts (who I would ordinarily go after) are actually right. The perspective is that there's no society that's found either a decent reason or a legal framework to keep multimillionaires with clean criminal records from being able to obtain firearms, and even if that were hypothetically possible an NFL linebacker absolutely doesn't need a weapon to kill a female partner. The story is and should be TBIs.

The gun control angle is another drat fool man-bites-dog story that the press jumps all over while blithely and simultaneously ignoring the effects of repeated concussions to school-age boys and and the thousands of "ordinary" preventable firearm homicides.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
My friend on Facebook was all in a tizzy about the Bob Costas NRA=KKK comment and was blovating about how the KKK was originally a gun rights organization so TAKE THAT BOB COSTAS!!

When I called him out his posted this hilarious article: Sorry Libs, NRA Was There To Help Blacks Defend Themselves from KKK Democrats Not The Other Way Around

quote:

On September 28, 1868, a mob of Democrats massacred nearly 300 African-American Republicans in Opelousas, Louisiana. The savagery began when racist Democrats attacked a newspaper editor, a white Republican and schoolteacher for ex-slaves. Several African-Americans rushed to the assistance of their friend, and in response, Democrats went on a “Negro hunt,” killing every African-American (all of whom were Republicans) in the area they could find. (Via Grand Old Partisan)

Which brings us to today…
Asshat Jason Whitlock, the Kansas City columnist whose article on Jovan Belcher‘s murder-suicide inspired an anti-gun rant by NBC’s Bob Costas, now says that the pro-Second Amendment National Rifle Association is “the new KKK,” Newsbusters’ Tim Graham reported Monday.

Obviously, Whitlock is as ignorant as he is offensive.
The NRA actually helped blacks defend themselves from violent KKK Democrats in the south, not the other way around.
Ann Coulter wrote about the history of blacks and the NRA back in April.

---

This will give you an idea of how gun control laws worked. Following the firebombing of his house in 1956, Dr. Martin Luther King, who was, among other things, a Christian minister, applied for a gun permit, but the Alabama authorities found him unsuitable. A decade later, he won a Nobel Peace Prize.

How’s that “may issue” gun permit policy working for you?

The NRA opposed these discretionary gun permit laws and proceeded to grant NRA charters to blacks who sought to defend themselves from Klan violence — including the great civil rights hero Robert F. Williams.

A World War II Marine veteran, Williams returned home to Monroe, N.C., to find the Klan riding high — beating, lynching and murdering blacks at will. No one would join the NAACP for fear of Klan reprisals. Williams became president of the local chapter and increased membership from six to more than 200.

But it was not until he got a charter from the NRA in 1957 and founded the Black Armed Guard that the Klan got their comeuppance in Monroe.

Williams’ repeated thwarting of violent Klan attacks is described in his stirring book, “Negroes With Guns.” In one crucial battle, the Klan sieged the home of a black physician and his wife, but Williams and his Black Armed Guard stood sentry and repelled the larger, cowardly force. And that was the end of it.

As the Klan found out, it’s not so much fun when the rabbit’s got the gun.

The NRA’s proud history of fighting the Klan has been airbrushed out of the record by those who were complicit with the KKK, Jim Crow and racial terror, to wit: the Democrats.

---

Sadly, asshat Whitlock will get away with his outrageous lies.
The early KKK Democrats would be proud.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but there has been a major party switch since 1868, right. So the "democrats" in that story would be modern day republicans and vice versa, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Xarthor posted:

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but there has been a major party switch since 1868, right. So the "democrats" in that story would be modern day republicans and vice versa, right?

Yes.