Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
My Wii U arrived DOA with a non-functioning drive on release day. I sent it in for warranty repair and hadn't heard anything until yesterday.

They contacted me, apologized profusely for the delay, and put a $30 credit on my e-Shop account (before I even said a word). This is why, despite all of my last five Nintnedo purchases going back for warranty repairs, I keep buying from them: Their customer service is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Gendo posted:

I'm glad I waited to get Scribblenauts on sale because it's getting a little stale. It's a super imaginative game in terms of what you can do, but even with a relatively open sandbox without really challenging puzzles there's only so much replay value to it.

I'm debating just trading it in towards Nintendoland. I wish more stuff was coming sooner but I knew this was where we'd be for a bit. Ah well.

Scribblenauts is one of those games that is limited by your imagination and how the objects interact with each other. It's definitely improved quite a bit since the first but there's still definitely something holding it back from absolute greatness. Maybe an online multiplayer component?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Louisgod posted:

Scribblenauts is one of those games that is limited by your imagination and how the objects interact with each other. It's definitely improved quite a bit since the first but there's still definitely something holding it back from absolute greatness. Maybe an online multiplayer component?

You're probably right about the online multiplayer. If you watch the Giant Bomb QLEX, it shows them trying multiplayer, which looked great, as the other people can play as random objects on the field, with the person with the game pad able to change the object or make something for them to use.

Still, I'm quite happy with it, I haven't played a lot of it, as I keep wanting to make characters. So far I made Rock Knight & Parrot Grass from the Space Adventure Cobra Retsupurae and Emil from Nier. I put those up on the store if anyone wants to download them.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

So Nland has hidden uses for the wiimote as a second player.

F-zero it is extremely useful and can disarm obstacles. DK game it slows down the cart which might be useful...that is debatable.

What else have you guys found?

I wouldn't call it hidden when the game explicitly tells you "Assisted play available with the Wii Remote" on the sign in front of the game. But anyway, you can freeze the enemies in the Ninja Castle.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Katana Gomai posted:

Same here, I've seen 1 (one) ad for the Wii U here in Germany so far.

This is doubly strange, since I figured since NoE lies in Germany, that country would surely know about the console.
:iiam:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I did wonder if Nintendo were deliberately downplaying the EU launch because of the reported hardware shortages, and then planning on going full swing when they'd sorted the issues out, but if they did it to the point of unsold boxes in shops because no-one knows it's out then I guess it backfired.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I finally beat all four levels of Donkey Kong Crash Course yesterday with about 11 seconds to spare. What a nightmare. I have the first course down to about 83 seconds. How fast are you guys doing it?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Sometimes the best moments in Scribblenauts is when you solved a puzzle without even trying to solve it. Messing around with in a level and spawned the Hadron Collider, and somehow that was a solution...I was just trying to restart the level in a dramatic fashion. Also turning a person into cheese and spawning a mouse is a really evil combination.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Almost Smart posted:

So from just looking around, it seems like every single one of the Wii U's big third-party ports is inferior to what can be found on the PS360. The disparity may not be huge, but it's still disappointing for what should be the 'definitive' console versions of these games.

It's pretty much par for the course with new console launches. Just look back at the 360s launch for more good examples of the same thing. Ports of Burnout Revenge, Madden, and Gun from the previous generation's consoles suffered lackluster frame rates, worse textures, and cut features. The PS3 launched with ports from the same generation (360) and those suffered in the same way despite it arguably being a more powerful console.

What should logically be superior versions to previous gen games on new consoles aren't. They're rushed ports from devs that just want to cash in on older titles at full price to people wanting something else to do with their new system. Never trust a re-release on a next gen console launch eeeever.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Seaniqua posted:

I finally beat all four levels of Donkey Kong Crash Course yesterday with about 11 seconds to spare. What a nightmare. I have the first course down to about 83 seconds. How fast are you guys doing it?

Wait, there's more than one course? I beat the first and didn't see a second one.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Chernabog posted:

Wait, there's more than one course? I beat the first and didn't see a second one.
Gotta do it quicker! (I'm guessing. I never beat the first one)

Edit - Or just again! Do you have to beat each one twice to get to the next?

Legdiian fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 3, 2012

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Chernabog posted:

You gotta do it again

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Gendo posted:

I'm debating just trading it in towards Nintendoland. I wish more stuff was coming sooner but I knew this was where we'd be for a bit. Ah well.

I mostly got the console early for peace of mind, in case there was a craze like with the Wii. Didn't happen since Nintendo is failing at advertising it (see: tons of tweets and such that sound something like "What the gently caress is a WiiU?"), but hey, I've got it sitting there, waiting for Monster Hunter.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Chernabog posted:

When you beat it a again time a door opens up (watch the TV screen), go through it and you get to level 2. Havent beat level 2 myself.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if there's a better or more accurate list of release dates out there, but I'm not really liking how this looks. From now until 2013 the only games with firm release dates are games like Rapala Pro Bass Fishing and Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade, then there's some Marvel game and a port of 007 Legends.

I would have thought that if some games didn't make it at launch they would have been ready pretty soon after, and especially before Christmas. I hope those other good games like The Wonderful 101 get a firm release date soon because "Q4 2012" is about to end.

All that being said, I'm loving the poo poo out of Nintendo Land, NSMBU, and ZombiU, in that order.

My cat chewed up the charger to my Gamepad, so I taught myself how to splice via YouTube so I could fix it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bobnumerotres posted:

I mostly got the console early for peace of mind, in case there was a craze like with the Wii. Didn't happen since Nintendo is failing at advertising it (see: tons of tweets and such that sound something like "What the gently caress is a WiiU?"), but hey, I've got it sitting there, waiting for Monster Hunter.

Their commercials are honestly the worst too, it's not even just that they aren't advertising enough or at the wrong times.

People with cats, start spraying a mild pepper spray(not like the weapon, just water, pepper mix) or other undesirable flavor on your various electrical cords. They will leave them alone quickly.

greatn fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 3, 2012

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Bombadilillo posted:

When you beat it a again time a door opens up (watch the TV screen), go through it and you get to level 2. Havent beat level 2 myself.

Luckily they don't make you do that for the second two levels.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

Their commercials are honestly the worst too, it's not even just that they aren't advertising enough or at the wrong times.

It's everything. The name is confusing, the commercials are awful and kind of never explicitly state that it's a brand new console, jeeze. It's like the 2011 E3 condensed into 30 seconds.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Seaniqua posted:

Luckily they don't make you do that for the second two levels.

Is there a way to skip the first level? Its frustrating to just get to the second level then die figuring out the next section. I end up playing the game once and then doing something else. I cant imagine that for 4 levels.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Droid Washington posted:

I would have thought that if some games didn't make it at launch they would have been ready pretty soon after, and especially before Christmas. I hope those other good games like The Wonderful 101 get a firm release date soon because "Q4 2012" is about to end.

A lot of times, games listed in Q4 2012 are typically using the fiscal calendar. In that sense, they have until the end of March 2013 to get out, with April 1 2013 representing the beginning of fiscal 2013.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bombadilillo posted:

Is there a way to skip the first level? Its frustrating to just get to the second level then die figuring out the next section. I end up playing the game once and then doing something else. I cant imagine that for 4 levels.

The third level is pretty easy apparently. The more you go through level one the quicker and easier you'll do it, too. I almost never die on it anymore, still haven't beaten level two.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

^^^^^^^^^^^^
The third level is a modified version of the first (and 4 of 2). So the parts that aren't changed are easy, but there are a few sections that still take me a few tries in the 3rd level.

Bombadilillo posted:

Nope. It's just a matter of getting extremely fast/consistent at it. There are also a couple shortcuts you can take. I'm sure there are shortcuts in the other levels, too, but I don't know about them. Someone posted a perfect run through a while back where the guy used a couple shortcuts. I had a lot of trouble with the second level, too, but got a lot of help through Miiverse and videos online. Now I rarely die more than once before getting to the third level.

I think one of the main reasons there's no level skipping is because there's a 600 second time limit. This seems like a lot, but the third and fourth levels always take me a while.

Edit: Random tidbit. Apparently you can hold X to make the "blow in the mic" platforms go up. I had no idea until yesterday.

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 3, 2012

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Bobnumerotres posted:

Didn't happen since Nintendo is failing at advertising it
I'm pretty sure Nintendo realized that there is absolutely no benefit to heavily advertising a new console when your shipments through the end of the year will almost certainly sell out no matter what you do.

I'm enjoying mine a lot, but there's a lot of unrealized potential. As the system gets its legs, I'm pretty optimistic about its future, moreso if Sony and Microsoft don't release their next box until 2014.

The biggest disappointments for me are the lack of Dolby support and the range on the pad. Miiverse is a much more interesting thing than I would have expected.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch
Posted in the ZombiU thread, but to expound and generalize here, the asymmetric gameplay of ZombiU is amazing and if they extrapolate that out, there could be some very, very good 2-5 player games. Dungeons & Dragons or some other DM-vs-the-players setup would be nice, as would a co-op thing like the WWII MMO where the tablet player is a general playing the RTS part while the Wiimote gang are the soldiers in the field.

Asymmetric gameplay is gonna be the key to the WiiU's longevity and distinction, since you can get "red guys vs blue guys with the same inputs" on every other system.

Well, asymmetric gameplay and Miiverse drawings of a retarded Sonic yelling GOTTA GO FAST.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

I'm not a D&D guy but it seems like such an obvious choice to me. Is this a false memory, or do I remember hearing that the original Wii could connect more than 4 wiimotes? I don't know if a game ever did it, but I swear I remember the number being something way bigger.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Seaniqua posted:

I'm not a D&D guy but it seems like such an obvious choice to me. Is this a false memory, or do I remember hearing that the original Wii could connect more than 4 wiimotes? I don't know if a game ever did it, but I swear I remember the number being something way bigger.

I think it was always 4 remotes, but some games allowed more players by having one player use the remote, and another use the nunchuck or classic controller attached to it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

I'm pretty sure Nintendo realized that there is absolutely no benefit to heavily advertising a new console when your shipments through the end of the year will almost certainly sell out no matter what you do.

Are they, though? Maybe on blacks, but stores around here are starting to overstock on white ones, Ebay is averaging at selling for a loss, and craigslist is unsellable to the point where people have stopped trying. When I returned mine, there were a couple of returns sitting there as well - possibly from people who couldn't sell them That's SE Michigan - is it different elsewhere?

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

I'm not crazy! Wiki says up to 16 via bluetooth. According to the citation it's from the user's manual.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Darko posted:

Are they, though? Maybe on blacks, but stores around here are starting to overstock on white ones, Ebay is averaging at selling for a loss, and craigslist is unsellable to the point where people have stopped trying. When I returned mine, there were a couple of returns sitting there as well - possibly from people who couldn't sell them That's SE Michigan - is it different elsewhere?

Wii U's are definitely not selling out. Fry's in particular are receiving regular shipments of regular and deluxe systems and are selling them in bundles with two or three games, depending on your choice of system. The reason they're getting the regular shipments is due to an agreement with Nintendo to sell them in those bundles.

The two Fry's in my area literally have had stacks of both models pretty much every day since launch. I'm pretty sure part of it is the price on top being in a forced bundle. That's a lot of dough to spend on a new system, especially if you're still on the fence.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Seaniqua posted:

I'm not crazy! Wiki says up to 16 via bluetooth. According to the citation it's from the user's manual.

I don't think any game ever did this, though. Bomberman Blast or whatever the WiiWare version is called let up to 8 people play on one system but required 4 Gamecube controllers and 4 remotes.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

So Nland has hidden uses for the wiimote as a second player.

F-zero it is extremely useful and can disarm obstacles. DK game it slows down the cart which might be useful...that is debatable.

What else have you guys found?

It looks like every "single-player" game has an assist function for other players (and some of them up to three other people can help):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpMk960uJcw

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So do downloaded games run any faster than disc games on the Wii U?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That last little ledge right at the end gets me every time :argh:

I take it you haven't made it past Stage 10 yet? Oh boy...

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Pryce posted:

It looks like every "single-player" game has an assist function for other players (and some of them up to three other people can help):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpMk960uJcw

Is there something wrong with me when I really want to play balloon trip breeze with an AI and just help them with the wiimote? Maybe through like a tougher version of the levels?

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
That guy's videos are very good but man that voice.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Astro7x posted:

So do downloaded games run any faster than disc games on the Wii U?

I take it you haven't made it past Stage 10 yet? Oh boy...

I installed Nintendoland and I can't see any noticeable difference. I doubt it is a very good example to use though.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Wii U games don't really install anything to the internal storage, so I would think there would be some sort of improvement over a disc game. Right?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Well the disc drive seems loud as gently caress so I'd consider not having that noise would be nice if nothing else.

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?
Is the extra Nintendo content in Scribblenauts for the Wii U worth buying it over the 3DS version? I already have the 3DS version.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I've been told the 3DS version of Scribblenauts is the worst of them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Shards of Fate posted:

Is the extra Nintendo content in Scribblenauts for the Wii U worth buying it over the 3DS version? I already have the 3DS version.

Why wouldn't you get it on PC? The Nintendo exclusive content is literally just some extra items that you can make yourself. I already made a super mushroom that behaves much like one and adds the super adjective to NPCs that touch it. Is it perfect? Nope. Did I prove a point? Yep.

• Locked thread