Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

El_Elegante posted:

Cool. Did you get it in writing?

I'm sure he did! He-

tuyop posted:

No, I didn't.

:eng99: You really should have gotten it in writing. I don't know if you'd need it notarized or what you'd need to have it hold up in Canadian court, but man I wouldn't trust a potentially very large sum to that big of a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

tuyop posted:

No, I didn't. The letter I got says, explicitly, that receiving your current award doesn't reflect on any claims you make in the future. Even if you disagree, it doesn't matter if you take the money.

So... if the official letter you got says it's okay to cash (because it doesn't reflect on any other claims), does that mean you did get it in writing?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Colbear posted:

So... if the official letter you got says it's okay to cash (because it doesn't reflect on any other claims), does that mean you did get it in writing?

Well, not how I understand "get it in writing". I didn't make anyone send me a notarized document or anything. I'm just following standard procedure as it was laid out for me. But that procedure was written down in a letter.

what son what
Nov 6, 2008

MagicCube posted:

Keep fighting that disability payout, but don't be too concerned with future finances at the moment. Once you're released, VAC will start your Earnings Loss Benefit which is at least $40 000 a year or 75% of your salary at release. I remember you saying you'd be on the vocational rehab program so you'll be getting that money as long as you are on the rehab program and during that time VAC will assess a pension. By all means get as much documentation as you can because it will greatly help you now and in the future when dealing with VAC.

Just a heads-up from what my counselor said as well was that the medical and vocational rehab lasts until you either find full-time permanent employment, turn 65, or don't follow through with scheduled appointments or check-in with your counselor and they cut you off.

I was really suprised by that low payout, but I guess the large majority of compensation comes from this Earnings Loss Benefit? Cause $40k a year while getting rehab and being retrained to find work with your disability sounds pretty sweet.

Anyways tuyop, looking forward to read whatever crazy money saving scheme you come up with next... they're usually good for a laugh or two. Just remember to run it by your thread first!

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

You guys are too paranoid. If his lawyer tells him it's OK to cash the check, it's OK to cash the check.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Well, I have a tire update.

I ordered the wrong size for my wheels, 17s instead of 16s. I've looked into all the configurations of selling my current wheels, or selling the tires, or whatever, and the most cost effective thing to do is to send the tires back and get the smaller size.

The good news is that the tire vendor is emailing me a UPS label, and the smaller size is about 10 dollars a tire cheaper, so the shipping is pretty much absorbed that way! I hope. :ohdear:

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

tuyop posted:

Well, I have a tire update.

I ordered the wrong size for my wheels, 17s instead of 16s. I've looked into all the configurations of selling my current wheels, or selling the tires, or whatever, and the most cost effective thing to do is to send the tires back and get the smaller size.

The good news is that the tire vendor is emailing me a UPS label, and the smaller size is about 10 dollars a tire cheaper, so the shipping is pretty much absorbed that way! I hope. :ohdear:
You might be the greatest troll these forums have ever seen.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I don't understand how you keep managing to do this.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mulatto Butts posted:

I don't understand how you keep managing to do this.

I know! I actually measured the loving wheels because the label that said the size was destroyed long ago. I don't know how I managed to mess up such a simple thing.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

tuyop posted:

I know! I actually measured the loving wheels because the label that said the size was destroyed long ago. I don't know how I managed to mess up such a simple thing.

You could have figured out your tire size with about 2 minutes of internet searching instead of measuring it.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

tuyop posted:

You didn't read the manual for your car? They list them most of the time.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
It's on the side of the tire, too. There's no way all 4 of them were illegible.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Jesus Hussein Christ on a Cracker, I just

I can't even

I don't

And you want to build a house with no training in plumbing, wiring, carpentry, or engineering?

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

El_Elegante posted:

And you want to build a house with no training in plumbing, wiring, carpentry, or engineering?
Pretty sure that was a huge troll too. And the basil...

There's no way any adult human being is this incompetent.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I bought these wheels after I bought the car, though... I'm sure anyone could have made this mistake.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

tuyop posted:

I bought these wheels after I bought the car, though... I'm sure anyone could have made this mistake.

were the tire size markings not stamped into the rubber of the tire on all 4 of the tires?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

tuyop posted:

Yes tuyop, anyone could have made that mistake. But of all of them you are the only one that did.

There are about a million ways you could have prevented this mistake, least of them just loving googling it.

There's a certain amount of deliberation responsible people go through before dropping large sums of money. If you hope to be a member of that elite group you're going to have change some habits.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

80k posted:

were the tire size markings not stamped into the rubber of the tire on all 4 of the tires?

I have four steel wheels with no tires and four alloy wheels with all season tires on them. It's possible in my mind that my steel wheels are a different size from my alloy wheels.

When I went on the website, their drop down menu thing spat out 205/50/17 for my car. I measured my steel wheels and they're 17 inches wide. Apparently 17 inches wide doesn't mean that it takes 17 inch tires. Who knew!

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

tuyop posted:

Who knew!

AI, Google, the internet at large, etc.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Tuyop take some responsibility for your fuckup.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Everyone makes mistakes, but you're going to keep making them forever if you can't accept that things like this are your fault.

Dongue Quixote
Nov 11, 2010

My brain problems are matched only by my swole problems.
Tuyop, out of curiousity, how much are you spending on supplements and weightlifting powders per month? I saw you take BCAAs, which can be pretty expensive. I feel this is relevant to this thread because supplements CAN start to eat a portion of your budget better spent on real food if you're not careful.

tuyop posted:

I'm taking advantage of the BOGO choline sale right now (6.99 for 1000 GRAMS what) and ordered some other esoteric mystery powders.

I see you've also purchased neurotransmitter precursors sourced from China. This sort of thing seems a bit profligate and you may want to consider not doing this. $7 for 1kg of brain chemicals might seem like a great deal, but if you eat eggs, chicken, milk, or fish, then you're getting all the choline you need through normal food.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Tuyop you might want to severely reconsider eating discount knockoff Chinese brain powders that, even to you, appears to be an offer that is too good to be true. Not only is it an unnecessary expenditure as Sr. Quixote suggests, but there have been a bunch of recent horror stories about these sketchy Chinese supplements.

Like, they're being cut with literal garbage and spiked with a lot of sugar so that idiots will prefer the taste of this great deal they just found. Or worse, they've got all kinds of heavy metals. Somebody, somewhere in China, once got a really good deal on a whole mountain of lead and he's been passing the savings onto toy and supplement customers for years.

e: For real you are most likely, in all seriousness, poisoning yourself. This kind of doping may be artificially bolstering your natural capacity for poor choices, and that's unfair to everbody who expected a clean show. You buy from smartpowders, yes? http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/54695-questionable-3rd-party-coas-from-smartpowders-none-from-build-your-own-supplements/

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 4, 2012

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
I dunno, ingesting untested, unapproved powders straight from china seems like a really, really good idea to me.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Chronojam posted:

Tuyop you might want to severely reconsider eating discount knockoff Chinese brain powders that, even to you, appears to be an offer that is too good to be true. Not only is it an unnecessary expenditure as Sr. Quixote suggests, but there have been a bunch of recent horror stories about these sketchy Chinese supplements.

Like, they're being cut with literal garbage and spiked with a lot of sugar so that idiots will prefer the taste of this great deal they just found. Or worse, they've got all kinds of heavy metals. Somebody, somewhere in China, once got a really good deal on a whole mountain of lead and he's been passing the savings onto toy and supplement customers for years.

e: For real you are most likely, in all seriousness, poisoning yourself. This kind of doping may be artificially bolstering your natural capacity for poor choices, and that's unfair to everbody who expected a clean show. You buy from smartpowders, yes? http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/54695-questionable-3rd-party-coas-from-smartpowders-none-from-build-your-own-supplements/

Ingesting cheap random powders at impossible bargain bin prices from China can negatively impact your health? Who knew!

Iringahn
Oct 31, 2011

tuyop posted:

If they are sending you a UPS label that probably means they are covering the shipping costs. Especially since you don't have a ups account number that they would know - so they can't bill to your account.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

tuyop posted:

Wait so this wasn't even the stock wheels, at some point you went out and bought new ones and I promise you the size would have been specified on them, and you still hosed it up, and not only that but you're now going 'well actually I measured them and they were 17 inches so I dunno what went wrong.'
Come the gently caress on, dude.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
tuyop does your girlfriend buy wonder hangers

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

paperchaseguy posted:

tuyop does your girlfriend buy wonder hangers

:ohdear: Do Zaurgs migrate North for the winter?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Two Finger posted:

Wait so this wasn't even the stock wheels, at some point you went out and bought new ones and I promise you the size would have been specified on them,

Before anyone tears into tuyop for buying an extra set of wheels, you can't use alloy wheels in the winter.

The size of those wheels would have definitely been on the invoice however.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tuyop make an emergency appointment with you psychiatrist. There is something very wrong with you.

JimboMaloi
Oct 10, 2007

Yeah, I just finished reading this thread a couple of days ago, and that's my impression to.

Tuyop, as someone who suffers from a major depressive disorder and has family members who are bipolar, you seriously show signs that suggest you may be rapid cycling bipolar. This isn't intended a value judgement about you as a person, it's just an observation based on the trends in your posting to this thread. I know you're seeing a mental health professional and it seems preposterous that random people on the internet who barely know you from Adam are claiming to know better than a paid professional, but bipolar disorder is veeeery frequently misdiagnosed (check this out if you don't believe me), and the people in this thread bringing it up have the advantage of seeing a lot of your thoughts that you may filter out in therapy because you don't deem them medically relevant (one my family members had this very problem; she felt her manic episodes where just typical highs of life and neglected to tell her doctors.)

I'm not suggesting you should just say "yup well I guess these goons are right", but I would encourage you to do some introspection and seriously consider if you might be self-censoring in therapy because you don't consider certain things to be relevant to your treatment. It's an easy trap to fall in to and I think most people who have been in therapy have done it at some point or another, but it really is antithetical to the whole process.

Persona non grata
Apr 25, 2010
Tuyop, you should consult a priest for an exorcism. Buying the wrong size tires is something only a demon could do. The 10's of dollars you're wasting in shipping costs could be spent on additional psychiatrists. Sure, it's only enough to get a shrink to look at you from a passing car and shout a diagnosis, but those barked words could be what transform you from a debt monster into Suze Orman.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I wouldn't be shocked if Tuyop turned out to have a symptom cluster that involves manic or hypomanic episodes, but remember guys - its not a mental disorder unless it causes clinically significant distress or impairment. Buying the wrong tires is more of an Axis II kind of problem (see diagnosis: severe mental retardation).

Seriously though I've been reading this thread for a long time and manic episodes resulting in fantasizing about basil is not clinically significant. However, if you think thoughts like these have led to impulsivity that IS significant such as spur of the moment vacations and buying stuff you can't afford, its worth thinking about, Tuyop.

But like I said, you might just be retarded. Though, for someone as retarded as you are, you're doing great man. From the beginning of this thread you are significantly less in debt, making better decisions, and being less of a hissy fit throwing "blame and ownership slides right off" little girl.

I personally have done dumber things than order the wrong tires, but try and be careful in the future. I'm glad you've got it together enough to pursue larger disability payments. You are not as hopeless as Zaurg and thank you for not getting Toeshoes pregnant. It means a lot to me not have to read the explosion of posts that would follow such an event.

Though if you wanna buy some wonderhangers Toeshoes I'd be down to read the following verbal aneurysms.

JimboMaloi
Oct 10, 2007

Yeah, I didn't mean for my post to be "DUDE YOU HAVE A DISORDER", and frankly if he wasn't currently diagnosed with unipolar depression I'd be less concerned.

You're also absolutely right, loving up tire sizes and having a brief obsession with growing basil are probably not clinically relevant, though the basil obsession was hilarious. I was thinking more about back in the spring when the thought process went from "Maybe I'll live out of the back of my car in a field behind the base for 6 months" to "Yeah $750 vacation because Chicago isn't that far from Toronto, and D.C. is in the same country as Chicago!" to "I have been eating nothing but 1400 calories of rice and beans a day for 3 weeks" in a span of 6 weeks.

But I'm going to stop now, because I'm not a doctor and tuyop is actually doing steadily better.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
What about freezing his toes off because he doesn't understand winter?

What about racking up billions of dollars of debt and driving his car into the ground because of his incessant need to vacation?

What about driving a car into a lake?

What about huffing chemicals from China because his body is a temple? (P.S. Smoking ain't no thang.)

What about buying fancy bike parts the day before winter?

What about the fact that he's admitted, but never really detailed, that he's on some kind of medication from a shrink?

I mean yeah, sure, on their own, the BASIL and tiny apartment things are entertaining derails, but in light of everything else Tuyop spits out, it seems like that's just the tip of the iceberg. I'm not a psychiatrist and I don't want to play one on the Interent, but Tuyop seems like a broken individual who needs to spend less time coughing up amusing anecdotes on the Something Awful forums and more time in a certified medical professional's care. The tire thing is just the latest in a long string of "NO ONE IS THAT STUPID" moments in the life of Tuyop.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Kobayashi posted:

What about freezing his toes off because he doesn't understand winter?

What about racking up billions of dollars of debt and driving his car into the ground because of his incessant need to vacation?

What about driving a car into a lake?

What about huffing chemicals from China because his body is a temple? (P.S. Smoking ain't no thang.)

What about buying fancy bike parts the day before winter?

What about the fact that he's admitted, but never really detailed, that he's on some kind of medication from a shrink?

I mean yeah, sure, on their own, the BASIL and tiny apartment things are entertaining derails, but in light of everything else Tuyop spits out, it seems like that's just the tip of the iceberg. I'm not a psychiatrist and I don't want to play one on the Interent, but Tuyop seems like a broken individual who needs to spend less time coughing up amusing anecdotes on the Something Awful forums and more time in a certified medical professional's care. The tire thing is just the latest in a long string of "NO ONE IS THAT STUPID" moments in the life of Tuyop.

Tuyop, even Kobayashi is now not wanting to rip into you anymore.

You broke Kobayashi :(

Dongue Quixote
Nov 11, 2010

My brain problems are matched only by my swole problems.
What hasn't he broken! :iamafag:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

El_Elegante posted:

Tuyop take some responsibility for your fuckup.

Sure, I'm not denying that I made a mistake, I could have easily just said that they sent me the wrong tires. But I mean, I've made some big mistakes, and this one just doesn't measure up.

Dongue Quixote posted:

Tuyop, out of curiousity, how much are you spending on supplements and weightlifting powders per month? I saw you take BCAAs, which can be pretty expensive. I feel this is relevant to this thread because supplements CAN start to eat a portion of your budget better spent on real food if you're not careful.

I see you've also purchased neurotransmitter precursors sourced from China. This sort of thing seems a bit profligate and you may want to consider not doing this. $7 for 1kg of brain chemicals might seem like a great deal, but if you eat eggs, chicken, milk, or fish, then you're getting all the choline you need through normal food.

About $35. We're supplementing protein and other things because we're cutting out about 3/4 of the meat in our diets and are both very active individuals. We both noticed a drop in gains and performance after switching our diets to mostly vegetarian, and I crunched the numbers and at $7.28/lb whey concentrate is a spectacular deal, considering that a "serving" is 30-60g per day. The other stuff is just something that we both felt like trying and it was about $45 for several months worth of various interesting stimulants and powders. The choline you're talking about has some sort of seal on it that says it was made and sourced in the USA and tested by "a Sport certified facility", whatever that is.

Magic Underwear posted:

I dunno, ingesting untested, unapproved powders straight from china seems like a really, really good idea to me.

I don't tend to worry about poo poo like this. "Heavy metals in your powders!!!" "Mercury in your fish!!!" "Radiation in your cell phones!!!" :supaburn: I know you guys are going to think that I'm being crazy or flippant or sarcastic or something, but I just mean to say that significant health risks have never really stopped me from doing a thing before, and these health risks seem far from significant (more on the side of consumer fearmongering with a little bit of :china: xenophobia thrown in). I'm not worried about it because as far as I know nobody has tested the lentils or olive oil or anything else that I consume daily, by the pound, for heavy metals either, not to mention the probable litres of gun oil and teargas that I've been exposed to, and literal poison in the form of alcoholic beverages and tobacco products that I've used to excess.

everyone posted:

Seek help

Full disclosure and E/N poo poo since it keeps coming up:

When I moved here (September) the duty psychologist gave me a bunch of psych tests and went over the results with me. I "scored" in the very severe spectrum for substance abuse, depression, and a shitload of other risk factors like suicide (and I was living out of my car and on strangers' couches). I was abusing alcohol and my back pills pretty routinely to get to sleep at night and they recommended hospitalization. I had just fought very hard to get close to toeshoes so that I could fix those problems and be close to some support network and we decided that hospitalization was probably not the best option for me. I've since been seeing a psychologist, psychiatrist, and addictions counselor. I feel kind of guilty about consuming the time of so many professionals, but they think I need it, so vOv.

Since then, I've worked pretty hard on my state of mind, quit alcohol (two months without a drink), maintained a schedule, recently quit coffee because I was drinking 21-30 cups a day (7 days no caffeine), and generally helped a lot of the problems that I was having with guilt, anger, and disappointment that I think are tied to my tendency to externalize my high expectations of other people. I feel better than I have in years despite the horrible caffeine withdrawal. Toeshoes balances out all of my mood swings and weird flights of fancy perfectly and helps me stay on a routine, I'm sure it can't be easy to live with me all the time.

I'm very honest with my psych people and told them all of the same stuff I've told you guys, even the tiny house excitement, they think I have manic tendencies and an unstable mood, but not far enough along on the spectrum to be considered a disorder. The psychiatrist thinks an increase in meds will help once I've gotten over the side effects from the last increase.

End E/N. I feel a little dirty airing that out in the thread, but you guys seem concerned so there it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

tuyop posted:

I recently quit coffee because I was drinking 21-30 cups a day.

What the hell type of cup do you use?

Edit: 5-7 liters of Coffee?

• Locked thread