Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.
All the Bravest copyrighted by Square-Enix...

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=192026

Potential localized title for Bravely Default?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Can't be. That title makes sense.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Harlock posted:

I wish they would stop using that doll art style.

I wish they'd go back to the old doll art style:

Johnny Cage
Sep 7, 2004

Doin' big things
I just finished XIII and absolutely loved it, maybe because I haven't played a JRPG in years and it brought back all sorts of good memories, and it probably had my favorite battle system of any of the FFs. I felt like some of the normal enemy fights in the last dungeon were harder than the last bosses themselves.

I started XIII-2 tonight and the intro has me a little... worried. The story seems like it's going to be a groaner but if the battle system/gameplay holds, that's fine.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Johnny Cage posted:

I just finished XIII and absolutely loved it, maybe because I haven't played a JRPG in years and it brought back all sorts of good memories, and it probably had my favorite battle system of any of the FFs. I felt like some of the normal enemy fights in the last dungeon were harder than the last bosses themselves.

I started XIII-2 tonight and the intro has me a little... worried. The story seems like it's going to be a groaner but if the battle system/gameplay holds, that's fine.

Well, there's good and bad news. The good news is that the battle system is back with some enhancements (the stupid "We're changing paradigms!" scene the first time you change in battle is gone, and you can specify "cross" or "wide" versions of paradigms to have the team focus on one enemy or spread and and go with AoE attacks respectively), and if you're a fan of Numbers Going Up™ the monster system lets you break the game over your knee. The bad news is that as a direct consequence of the latter, it's very easy to get overleveled and plow through the game without much consequence, especially if you like doing optional areas as soon as possible.

Also, the story is dumb and can basically be ignored. Basically, Square is going for Chrono Trigger: Final Fantasy edition and it doesn't really work.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Artix74 posted:

Also, the story is dumb and can basically be ignored.

He just said he finished XIII and loved it! I consider this a kind of apples to apples comparison.

I think the actual play of XIII-2 is much more fun. It feels like an actual videogame.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Johnny Cage posted:

FFXIII-2 has better mechanics but worse pacing. The end result is that you're very likely to run into a situation where you accidentally overlevel. You didn't encounter this much in FFXIII due to how it was paced, but it can completely wreck the combat system by deemphasizing all the interesting elements. You may not encounter thus but it kind of ruined the game for me, and I was someone who liked FFXIII's combat system a lot.

The story is also far far far stupider but eh.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I absolutely get what you guys are saying, but I feel like even having the possibility of that problem makes it a better game. FFXIII had a combat engine with great potential and a few good characters, and everything else about it was the distilled essence of why people claim to hate JRPGs: more cutscene than gameplay, linear without even offering the illusion of choice, and a lot of inexplicable story details despite 50+ hours of dialogue for clarification.

It feels like a quick-turnover sequel that was rushed to the market or something, except I know it was in development for ten thousand years.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Zombies' Downfall posted:

He just said he finished XIII and loved it! I consider this a kind of apples to apples comparison.

I think the actual play of XIII-2 is much more fun. It feels like an actual videogame.

Uh...what? I don't get what you're getting at here. Regardless of what you felt about 13's story, 13-2's is definitely worse paced, a dumber pretense, the characters are worse, and the ending is a blatant cliffhanger compared to 13. He said the story was a concern, and I'm saying that it's worse.

I absolutely get what you guys are saying, but I feel like even having the possibility of that problem makes it a better game. FFXIII had a combat engine with great potential and a few good characters, and everything else about it was the distilled essence of why people claim to hate JRPGs: more cutscene than gameplay, linear without even offering the illusion of choice, and a lot of inexplicable story details despite 50+ hours of dialogue for clarification.

It feels like a quick-turnover sequel that was rushed to the market or something, except I know it was in development for ten thousand years.

The problem isn't that you can break 13-2's combat, the problem is that you can do it without even trying. I tamed a behemoth as soon as I got to the area where you could, because who the gently caress wouldn't? By the time I had one, I was ahead of the combat curve for the next two or three areas, easily. And then again when I started finding colored chocobos and at that point I cruised right through the end of the story without even trying.

Artix fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 3, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If FFXIII-2 had a less-awful story or something I might understand, but it doesn't. Instead it just means that the part of FFXIII I liked the most (the combat system) is something I have to babysit just to avoid it becoming unplayably boring. If it was a case where FFXIII-2 was two steps forward/one step back I'd understand, but it's more like one step forward two steps back. It's got a more open plot/character structure but a worse everything else.

I don't mind breakable gameplay but FFXIII-2 falls into the same area as FF8: It's harder for me NOT to break it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 3, 2012

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Hey guys, totally random change-of-topic, but I've been playing through Jeff Ludwig's rebalance of FFI Dawn of Souls.

It's a ton of fun and changes the face of the game. The difficulty curve is much closer to the original (without all of the punishing bugs and pain-in-the-rear end interface). In fact, I'd say the whole mod is a love letter to the feeling of playing the original game.

I'm playing the 3.0 version with new character classes. Instead of a class change, there are now 12 classes with distinct spell lists, leveling stats, and equips. There's also a 2.2 version that keeps the classes as before.

I know the mod also fixes some things in FFII but I don't know anything about them because that would require playing FFII :v:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Final Fantasy XIII remained challenging throughout the entire game, so when I picked up XIII-2 and accidentally overleveled, the game just became about trying to find what the hell I needed to do to progress, while frequently enemies would appear and I'd need to hold the X button until they went away.

When you break the game, you make it so easy that you're practically just playing to watch the cutscenes and enjoy the story. This does not improve the XIII-2 experience.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly I think part of my problem with XIII was one of expectation. I had specifically avoided learning much about it pre-release, was super excited to buy it on release date, and was ready to be blown away. It was... underwhelming.

By contrast I bought XIII-2 at a $20 sale and went into it thinking "this is going to be a hilarious clusterfuck". When I realized it took the training wheels off character development a lot sooner and had actual environments with secrets to explore and choices about direction to make, I was pleasantly surprised.

I had high expectations for XIII and essentially the lowest possible for the sequel. That'll do it every time. But I still think XIII apologism is the worst.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

I had high expectations for XIII and essentially the lowest possible for the sequel. That'll do it every time. But I still think XIII apologism is the worst.

Out of curiosity what'd you think of FFX and FFX-2? Its sort of a pet theory of mine that people that like the 10 series inexplicably hate on the 13 series.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Hey guys, totally random change-of-topic, but I've been playing through Jeff Ludwig's rebalance of FFI Dawn of Souls.

It's a ton of fun and changes the face of the game. The difficulty curve is much closer to the original (without all of the punishing bugs and pain-in-the-rear end interface). In fact, I'd say the whole mod is a love letter to the feeling of playing the original game.

This sounds like something I've been looking for. The next time I want to check out the original Final Fantasy I'll give it a shot since the interface and bugs of Final Fantasy is what bugged me the most.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I must've played FF1 about 10 times as a kid, boy was it fun having to redo the Ice Cave about 30 times because a pair of Sorcerers can wipe out your party with Rub.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

voltron lion force posted:

Out of curiosity what'd you think of FFX and FFX-2? Its sort of a pet theory of mine that people that like the 10 series inexplicably hate on the 13 series.

I liked 10 and disliked 13. I think they both have a lot of the same flaws, but 10 was much better at hiding them. With 13 they just threw all pretenses to the wind and just did "go from A to B, watch pretty movie" gameplay. At least in 10 the linearity was thematic, since you were on a pilgrimage.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Well by that logic the linearity in 13 was thematic because they were running away. Both series are pretty low on my list, but it always struck me as odd when FF13 was released and everyone couldn't get over the linearity. 10 did it first and in almost the exact same way (railroaded most of the game, big open area/sidequests, back to rails for the remainder).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I didn't mind 13 because I'm a dumb dumb for pretty graphics, but 10 had a lot of character growth for a poor first-impression character in Tidus that intrigued me. The conspiracy of Spira and the truth about Zanarkand was also more of a satisfying reveal for me, compared to 13's super evil dick organization is in fact still evil with a space pope.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
As Fister Roboto said, X was better at hiding it. There were NPCs and towns and things that you could interact with.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Pesky Splinter posted:

As Fister Roboto said, X was better at hiding it. There were NPCs and towns and things that you could interact with.

Except, coming off of FFIX, neither of these things were all that interesting enough to hide the linearity.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Except, coming off of FFIX, neither of these things were all that interesting enough to hide the linearity.

Yeah, well it is IX after all :allears:
It's a hard act to follow.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Tae posted:

I didn't mind 13 because I'm a dumb dumb for pretty graphics, but 10 had a lot of character growth for a poor first-impression character in Tidus that intrigued me. The conspiracy of Spira and the truth about Zanarkand was also more of a satisfying reveal for me, compared to 13's super evil dick organization is in fact still evil with a space pope.

Agreed that while I thought the dialog and VA was awful in 10, the overarching plot and themes were pretty good. 13 is like the opposite where the plot is nonsense but they did a nice job with the presentation. But I don't really agree that it masked the linearity well. Sure there were towns, but I don't know, that was always a weird point for people to get caught up on in the first place. The fact is you're still walking down a hallway most of the game and that part is pretty obvious.

The sphere grid is another thing that 13 seemed to take its cues from. Like the crystarium, it seems complicated at first, until you realize the progression is mostly just going from one sphere to the next along a set path for the entirety of the non-postgame with little roadblocks to stall your progress.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I'll second this. I used the 2.2 version when I was doing my White Mage only run of FFI, and it's definitely trickier than DoS was (not that that's a high bar in the first place). There are a couple of odd changes, like Masamune only being available to promoted classes, and Giant's Gloves now being a damage dealing item, but it's nothing too drastic. And if nothing else, it means Chaos is actually a threat now.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
So I realized today I've never played IV or V. I just got them both on GBA. I always enjoyed games that have it set up so I can choose which classes I want for each character in my party, so I'm hoping I'll really enjoy the combat in V. Not really sure what IV is like in that regard. I'm going to eventually play them both, but I'm thinking about going with V first. Haven't really seen them talked about much in the 10 or 11 pages of this thread I've read.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

BlazinLow305 posted:

So I realized today I've never played IV or V. I just got them both on GBA. I always enjoyed games that have it set up so I can choose which classes I want for each character in my party, so I'm hoping I'll really enjoy the combat in V. Not really sure what IV is like in that regard. I'm going to eventually play them both, but I'm thinking about going with V first. Haven't really seen them talked about much in the 10 or 11 pages of this thread I've read.

You should've been around during the Four Job Fiesta. FF5 chat dominated the thread for pretty much its entire run.

V has huge flexibility in choosing your classes, since you can choose an ability from another class to supplement your current class. There's also a ton of ways to break the game in half due to said abilities.

IV has no customization. The plot dictates what characters you have (at least until the end, when the Advance/PSP versions let you choose your final party), everyone's classes are set, and magic is learned from leveling up. The goal of that game is to utilize the resources you have to take down enemies, but for the most part it comes down to solving the "puzzle" of certain enemies and slaughtering the rest. It's not really that exciting gameplay-wise, though it does have what I feel is a strong narrative.

But based on what you described, FF5, no question. That game is always fun as hell.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Azure_Horizon posted:

The thing is linearity isn't a bad thing.

FFX pulled off a linear adventure pretty well.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
I actually like linearity. Fighting 3 unnecessary battles because you ran into a dead end in a dungeon is not depth. Having to talk to somebody's cat in the basement of nondescript house #4 of boring NPC town in order to advance the plot is not interesting/rewarding. Basically I don't care for a lot of JRPG fluff and I like how FF13 streamlined everything.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I like linear progression too, especially when it lets them craft a more polished game, but FFX and XIII took it to the extreme by literally making your character run down a narrow path for most of the game.

Previous games would have the story progress in a linear fashion, but you'd still have to navigate dungeons, discover where to go next, and have plenty of opportunities to learn about the world.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

I didn't like X or XIII. XII was a lot of fun though. Linearity doesn't bother me either way, if it's done well for what it is. A non-linear game needs to take steps to ensure you aren't just blindly wandering, and a linear game needs to be interesting enough to keep you wanting to go down its predetermined path.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

I'm a fan of FFX/X-2, thought FFXIII was.. ehh, but really liked XIII-2 so much I'm looking forward to the last part of the trilogy.

XIII had great music!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Rueish posted:

XIII had great music!

It really did. Blinded by Light best battle theme.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Since FFX is on the mind, did anyone ever play through EA's Lord of the Rings: The Third Age? That game was basically a reskin of FFX, though the leveling system was a lot more linear.

The story follows a bunch of new characters through the non-Frodo stories of the trilogy, taking some liberties along the way - you fight alongside Gandalft against the Balrog, you join Gimli and Legolas in the defense of Helm's Deep, culminating in a ridiculous final battle against Sauron. IIRC you only have 3 characters that you use throughout the game, but you're often joined by up to 2 movie characters in battle.

It's something like a 20-25 hour RPG with not a whole lot of items/hidden bosses to find, and you really can't grind out levels since the endgame pretty much starts once you get to Helm's Deep. The game itself was a bit glitchy and since it's easy to finish the game underleveled, you end up having to slog through the last few hours of the game doing the LOTR equivalent of Reraise and tossing up your best spells and attacks in a grind to the finish against bosses that never seem to run out of AP and have shitloads of HP.

Has there ever been another game like this where they completely lifted the gameplay mechanics of a prominent JRPG? Even the look of the world map is exactly like FFX (i.e. linear paths with a map overlay, no open world to explore).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I love that hint up there. Thanks game!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

1st AD posted:

Since FFX is on the mind, did anyone ever play through EA's Lord of the Rings: The Third Age? That game was basically a reskin of FFX, though the leveling system was a lot more linear.

The story follows a bunch of new characters through the non-Frodo stories of the trilogy, taking some liberties along the way - you fight alongside Gandalft against the Balrog, you join Gimli and Legolas in the defense of Helm's Deep, culminating in a ridiculous final battle against Sauron. IIRC you only have 3 characters that you use throughout the game, but you're often joined by up to 2 movie characters in battle.

It's something like a 20-25 hour RPG with not a whole lot of items/hidden bosses to find, and you really can't grind out levels since the endgame pretty much starts once you get to Helm's Deep. The game itself was a bit glitchy and since it's easy to finish the game underleveled, you end up having to slog through the last few hours of the game doing the LOTR equivalent of Reraise and tossing up your best spells and attacks in a grind to the finish against bosses that never seem to run out of AP and have shitloads of HP.

Has there ever been another game like this where they completely lifted the gameplay mechanics of a prominent JRPG? Even the look of the world map is exactly like FFX (i.e. linear paths with a map overlay, no open world to explore).

No, you have 6 or so characters. It uses the FFX character swapping model too. You have Not Aragon, Not Gimli, Female Magic Elf, Not Eowyn, Not Farimir and I think one other.

Also it totally subverts things because Female Magic Elf is hot for Fake Aragon but he turns her down for Knockoff Eowyn instead! See, it's totally original!

(That game is loving ridiculous.)

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

1st AD posted:

Admittedly it's taking the mechanics of a game from ~12 years before its time, but you'd be hard pressed to find a more faithful Chrono Trigger clone than Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled. It's a shame, because by virtue of using Chrono Trigger's mechanics it played really well, and the plot was actually kind of interesting. It was glitchy as gently caress though, and the encounter rate was loving ridiculous so a lot of people hated it.

Artix fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 4, 2012

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

That and that the game is called Lightning Returns and not Lightning Goes Away

If it was called Snow Goes Away I'd put it on my "probably" instead of "probably not" list. If it was "Snow Dies Within The First 10 Minutes" I'd preorder.

If it was "Snow Dies Right Away Then We Use FF12's Combat Engine" I'd buy two.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Funnily enough, I personally felt in my experience that people that enjoyed X and X-2 also enjoyed XIII and XIII-2 as well and thought that was the norm.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Having replayed X recently I honestly do not care for anything that is not the combat or summons. I liked XIII though, not amazingly, but I enjoyed it well enough for the fast combat, not making me lose progress when I died, music was great and really I just like extra boss battles which it gives you a lot of. That's not to say the game isn't without its faults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

Dr Pepper posted:

The thing is linearity isn't a bad thing.

FFX pulled off a linear adventure pretty well.

I wholeheartedly agree. The way I see it, FFX is how you do linearity pretty well. Its linearity fit the story.

FFXIII was pretty good with its linearity but it got carried away. There's that part in a temple-like dungeon where the heroes have to solve a puzzle to pass through and the mission markers on the map tell you exactly how to do the puzzle instead of letting the player figure out (I haven't played this one in awhile so my memory might be fuzzy).

If we're going to talk about linearity in Final Fantasy games, FF4 should be brought up since it was very linear. There isn't a whole lot of optional content until you get your airship in the underworld. And it's not like the player can access certain plot events before others, because unless I'm misremembering, you can't- ever. Even when you first get your airship in the overworld, there's not much you can do except progress the story (there's some new towns that have some treasure and the ruined Elban castle). FF4 isn't criticized for its linearity and I think it's because there's a lot of leg room for the player. There are dungeons with rooms full of treasure. Later on in the game there are a few sidequests with whole dungeons to explore. Little things like that help a linear game feel less constraining.