Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

the walkin dude posted:

I just upgraded my storage unit in a former train station from 68 square feet to 105 square feet, to accomodate 4 motorcycles. Yeah, I'm motorcycle-hunting now because the gf is getting a lust for more power than her SV can deliver. :getin:

If anyone's interested in a SV with a painted-black frame and BMW headlight in New York state, hit me up.

Hmm where in NY state?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Xovaan posted:

I'm actually wondering how we'd communicate if we were to ever hang out in real life. White board? Yelling? These are things I must know!

The language of alcohol and beer knows no boundary my friend.

Except, you know, when driving a motorcycle.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Xovaan posted:

I'm actually wondering how we'd communicate if we were to ever hang out in real life. White board? Yelling? These are things I must know!

The way all well-adjusted socially adept people do. Text message.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

MoraleHazard posted:

I love how my wife, who rides passenger infrequently knows about the difference between a twin, inline 4, etc. She has no enthusiasm to ride though, which makes me sad. :( I don't pressure her, because her hobbies are knitting and 18th century reenacting and I have no desire to do either.

Clearly, the answer here is to ride dressed up like a redcoat.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

ElMaligno posted:

The language of alcohol and beer knows no boundary my friend.

Except, you know, when driving a motorcycle.

This. Alcohol is my weapon of penetrating the murky depths of hearing people's minds.

Having a hard-of-hearing girlfriend who can talk competently, helps, too. I'm in Rochester, so a high proportion of hearing people here actually know sign language, which is loving awesome (and one of the reasons I'm willing to stay here instead of quickly moving to the motorcycle paradise of California).

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

the walkin dude posted:

Having a hard-of-hearing girlfriend who can talk competently, helps, too. I'm in Rochester, so a high proportion of hearing people here actually know sign language, which is loving awesome (and one of the reasons I'm willing to stay here instead of quickly moving to the motorcycle paradise of California).

Hey there RIT buddy? Or should I say, "goddamn NID"? Keeping all the hearing residents of Ellingson awake with deaf-sex?

Rochester's got to be one of the best places to be deaf, plus I just loved the city. Please note that while there are more motorcycles out here in CA, and the weather is good for riding most of the year, they're also more expensive. So buy your bikes before you leave Rochester (like I did!)

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Clearly, the answer here is to ride dressed up like a redcoat.

One of her reenacting buddies also rides and I have a picture of him on my bike in 18th century Scottish highlander uniform. It's pretty cool. I'll try and dig up that picture. She pressured me to do that for a while and my reply has already been, "No thanks, I've already been in the military."

Safety Dance posted:

I had a lot of problems with the fueling in my KLR650 over the summer. Today, as I was riding in to work, I ran out of gas from my main pickup and had to switch to reserve. I did, no problems, the bike started making power again and kept right on going.

I thought about it and I realized, not only had I developed a strong concept of how everything between the fuel filler cap and the intake manifold works, but I had actually worked out all the bugs in my bike's fueling system!

I also put about two weeks' worth of gas in my bike for $12. That's pretty cool.

One of the best things about small bore bikes; insane gas mileage.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Hey there RIT buddy? Or should I say, "goddamn NID"? Keeping all the hearing residents of Ellingson awake with deaf-sex?

Rochester's got to be one of the best places to be deaf, plus I just loved the city. Please note that while there are more motorcycles out here in CA, and the weather is good for riding most of the year, they're also more expensive. So buy your bikes before you leave Rochester (like I did!)

Last time I lived in the dorms, was 10 years ago. And yes, my life back then was like this. It rocked.

Riding into RIT in 39 degrees this morning was fun. Time to install the handlebar muffs.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

the walkin dude posted:

Last time I lived in the dorms, was 10 years ago. And yes, my life back then was like this. It rocked.

Riding into RIT in 39 degrees this morning was fun. Time to install the handlebar muffs.

Ahaha, that comic is loving awesome and made my morning. Thank you so much. That is literally how my history of electronic music class goes every day, for two hours a day. I can't even imagine living with it.

edit: Actually I recorded it and put it on YouTube because I can't believe I'm paying for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBj48MuboFA

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 14, 2012

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I'd have to think about my top five, here's a couple from last weekend:

1. Hitting up google maps to see "well this goes in this general direction and will eventually take me here, where I've never been, yep sounds good"
2. "Last nice day of the year" and all it entails. You see more bikes on the roads you take, and getting 100% returned waves because everyone out that day knows exactly what's up.
3. Downshifting to slow down or stop, the rumble and popping on deceleration.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
From today:

Heading home on a cold, windy November evening, then turning down the restaurant strip, and getting six blocks of food smells. Thai, hamburgers, donuts, beer, Indian, pizza, baking bread. Wonderful.

More generally, I love the smells that you experience on a motorcycle that you simply don't in a car. The eucalyptus trees, the salt air, the earthy marsh you just passed. Also the garbage truck, the sewer gas and the rotting seaweed but hey that's just part of the experience :clint:

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Sagebrush posted:

From today:
More generally, I love the smells that you experience on a motorcycle that you simply don't in a car.

I just had this today on my way home and was thinking of posting in this thread. Ended up behind a truck on my way home with some freshly cut wood and it smelled amazing.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Riding to work one morning a couple months ago, I followed a truck towing a barbecue trailer that was smoking something. It was glorious.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I ran over some mushy roadkill once when it had been raining for hours... that was the worst smell I've ever experienced. Just thinking about it makes my stomach turn.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

From today:

Heading home on a cold, windy November evening, then turning down the restaurant strip, and getting six blocks of food smells. Thai, hamburgers, donuts, beer, Indian, pizza, baking bread. Wonderful.

More generally, I love the smells that you experience on a motorcycle that you simply don't in a car. The eucalyptus trees, the salt air, the earthy marsh you just passed. Also the garbage truck, the sewer gas and the rotting seaweed but hey that's just part of the experience :clint:

When I bought my Bonneville and rode it home, my route took me right past a In-N-Out... the smell was heavenly, even from the freeway.

Even the funky stanks down by the south end of the San Francisco Bay are almost enjoyable on a bike. A nice stand of eucalyptus, though, that is a wonderful thing.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
The smell and sound of rain and road grime sizzling and popping off a hot header at a traffic light is something pretty great IMO.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
My faves from today:

Seeing my shadow while I'm riding. The sun was just starting to set so my shadow was was not stretched or out of proportion. My shadow looked like a super badass dude on a motorcycle.

The learning experience: I am getting the hang of freeway riding. Each time I am less terrified. Progress!

I saw a girl's nipples get hard when she saw me in my gear. Maybe it wasn't me, but I like to think it was. :v:

Some guy in a convertible pulling up at a light and chatting with me about my bike while I tried to not stare at his super hot girlfriend (I failed).

Passing a Maserati on my $4k bike. :)

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Stugazi posted:

Some guy in a convertible pulling up at a light and chatting with me about my bike while I tried to not stare at his super hot girlfriend (I failed).

And that's why you have mirror/tinted visors.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
What, he's on a bike, just blatantly check her out :colbert:

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Just be careful kiddies. I locked up my back tire and slid back and forth because I was too busy seeing if that girl with the long blond hair was hot or not to notice the car hitting the brakes in front of me.

Still worth it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I had a dream last night that I had to be on-site at a large bank for which my company is a vendor. I arrived, but the bank's project manager had completely forgotten that I was supposed to be on site and hadn't scheduled meetings!

So what did we do, in my dream?

We went down into the parking garage and hosed around on DRZ-400s.

I love that my brain defaults to "ride bieks" when I don't know what to do now.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Safety Dance posted:

I had a dream last night that I had to be on-site at a large bank for which my company is a vendor. I arrived, but the bank's project manager had completely forgotten that I was supposed to be on site and hadn't scheduled meetings!

So what did we do, in my dream?

We went down into the parking garage and hosed around on DRZ-400s.

Tell me about it, I was dreaming that the world was ending and I was in a very, VERY safe place. So someone tosses me their keys to their motorcycle.

It was a SUMO, and I have never ridden one in my life.

I had a loving blast in that dream :smith:

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Today at lunch I lane split between a Bentley and a Panamera.

See you later suckas! :)

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Safety Dance posted:

I'm not the only one!

Although sometimes I get the "running in sand" dream but on the bike. As in I'm riding along, but then the engine gets way down on power and I'm ripping open the throttle but it wont accelerate.

ElMaligno posted:

Tell me about it, I was dreaming... ...someone tosses me their keys to their motorcycle.

It was a SUMO, and I have never ridden one in my life.

Your brain is trying to tell you something.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ReelBigLizard posted:

Your brain is trying to tell you something.

If I could have more than one Motorcycle I would. :smith: (but that one is too expensive, sheesh)
Plus I only get these hankerings when I am not driving my motorcycle.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ElMaligno posted:

If I could have more than one Motorcycle I would. :smith: (but that one is too expensive, sheesh)
Plus I only get these hankerings when I am not driving my motorcycle.

How favorable is the conversion to BRO CASH roght now?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Z3n posted:

How favorable is the conversion to BRO CASH roght now?

With that price? Its probably 2 Brahs per Bro, but he has a Duc so its most likely more that that.

Also bikes like this Bandit 1200 are probably more up my alley for future bikes. :allears:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Do it. Easily the silliest bike I've ridden and completely invisible to cops. Still need to slap Winnie the Pooh stickers all over mine, actually.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Agree completely. Bandit 1200s are wicked fun. They can be had in my area for about $3500.

quote:

Still need to slap Winnie the Pooh stickers all over mine, actually.

They say imitation is the best form of flattery. I believe I'll be doing something similar to my bike as well.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I just got done playing disc golf with some friends, and hopped onto the highway to head home. Traffic was stopped on the on ramp, so of course I went by all of them. I got to the front of the traffic about 1/4 mile past the on ramp and found both sides of the highway completely stopped. Looking ahead, there was a power line across both sides of the highway and everyone was at a standstill.

Sucks for them, I pulled a U turn, went back down the on ramp, and made my way home. My friends are still stuck in traffic and it hasn't moved.

This was me going the wrong way down the highway looking at all the stopped traffic that I knew was going to be sitting for a long time:

Suck it bitches!

Edit: I posted this to reddit and instantly got the moral crew on me so to be more clear:

This had just happened, there was no emergency crews on scene, just a parking lot of confused looking cars. There was no way traffic would start moving. It was a quarter mile riding on the shoulder back to the ramp, then I squeezed down the 1 lane ramp that no emergency crews could come up to get past. There was 0 way I was blocking any effort to fix it, and 0 chance that I could have had a problem with a car, as they were all bumper to bumper parked. My friends eventually got out of traffic by reversing down the ramp, so I would have gone back that way anyway.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 4, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The people in the cars around you:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nsaP posted:

Edit: I posted this to reddit and instantly got the moral crew on me so to be more clear:

This had just happened, there was no emergency crews on scene, just a parking lot of confused looking cars. There was no way traffic would start moving. It was a quarter mile riding on the shoulder back to the ramp, then I squeezed down the 1 lane ramp that no emergency crews could come up to get past. There was 0 way I was blocking any effort to fix it, and 0 chance that I could have had a problem with a car, as they were all bumper to bumper parked. My friends eventually got out of traffic by reversing down the ramp, so I would have gone back that way anyway.

Reddit even are a bunch of smug pricks about being a smug prick, huh?

(I would have done exactly the same thing, feeling magnificent about it the whole time. I once was out riding and found that my intended route was completely jammed up because (1) they'd closed the main interstate due to some accident so everyone was getting redirected along a 2-lane highway and through this tiny town I was coming up to, and (2) there was a chili festival in the same town that night. Pulled over to the gravel/grass shoulder [hooray for the dual-sport tires] and rode past !three miles! of stopped cars and 18-wheelers then had some awesome chili and ribs and homemade lemonade while listening to bad rock cover bands and nodding at the harleyharleychopperchopperchopper people puttering around. Great night)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I had the same experience on Wednesday except the power line and pole trapped me inside my house so I couldn't even get to my bike. :v:

That was an interesting excuse to give the professor on Friday.

WreckSov
Aug 26, 2011

nsaP posted:

Edit: I posted this to reddit

Haha why would you do that

Awesome story though.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'm a masochist lurker who thrives on downvotes and toying with redditors occasionally, but I thought this would be the opportunity to share other "hell yeah motorcycle" stories with other riders. Learned my lesson quick.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Similar thing happened today, got off work to see a mile long line of cars that was barely moving. Instead of sitting and waiting I popped up on the sidewalk (industrial area, no pedestrians save a chick at a bus stop) and went past the bulk of them, turned off onto a side street and got the hell out of there :D

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Reddit is a horrible place full of stupid people, news at 11.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I would post on there about the time I took my bicycle the wrong way around a round about to get through gridlocked traffic on my morning commute. But judging by that response they would internet-detective my location and send some kind of mouth-breathing hitman...

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

The reddit motorcycle board has a lot of sanctimonious holier-than-thou types. I'm a pretty boring and staid guy, ATGATT, etc. and I would've done the same exact thing: turned my rear end around and go back down the ramp. What would be the point of sitting there except to be ANOTHER vehicle emergency crews would have to direct out of the way. The less poo poo they have to deal with, the better for all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
The irony of you guys calling reddit a bunch of nitpicking safety nazis is delicious.

• Locked thread