Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
What is the best way/app to view power input from USB?
Basically I have a whole bunch of car chargers at this point and I want to see which actually charge at 5V x 800mA (or higher to 950mA). I know some cheap chargers will actually end up causing the phone to charge at "USB Computer" rate, 100mA, which isn't enough to even cover active power drain if it is in heavy use with GPS/data and all that.

If it matters I have an Optimus Elite with some custom Android 2.3.7 rom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

explosivo posted:

I just ordered some NFC tags off of Amazon, what's my best option for getting the most out of them? NFC Task Launcher + Tasker?

This sounds amazing. Someone mentioned in the phone thread using something like this plus wireless charging to be able to just drop your phone into the car and have it charge and connect to bluetooth. :swoon:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

baka kaba posted:

http://kebabapps.blogspot.co.uk/p/faq.html

Have a look at the wifi polling bit, that might help you with the home thing.

It also says that the lockscreen thing is buggy at the moment, so there might not be anything you can do about htat right now

Finally got a screenshot of the error message (not posting the pic bc it was during texts with the wife)

code:
Llama-ERROR: Failed to decrypt your screen lock password, so it was not changed.
It does this at random intervals.

Not sure if Llama is for me I'm afraid :(

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
So I'm trying out DeskSMS (bought it when it first came out and looks like I still have time on my account) and it doesn't seem to be able to retrieve my phone's existing messages, save for a single MMS I received two days ago. Any idea why that might be?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm wondering if there is a way to have certain apps stop working when I'm on wifi. My gripe is that when I'm at my computer, my phone and computer start sending me alerts for IMO.IM when I really only want my computer to. Is there an app/way to do this?

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

hey everyone. i just got a galaxy s3 a week ago after having a LG vx9800 for 7 years. it's pretty awesome. i like having a little computer in my pocket instead of a piece of poo poo that turns off every other time you get a text. i finally figured out how to bring up the task manager and remove all the running apps. my dumbass downloaded the "Advanced Task Killer" that pretended to do what i was trying to. basically, i'm just trying to get the most useful apps out there. i was thinking about downloading the beautiful widgets just to customize my phone a bit, but i'm really looking to get funtional apps. i downloaded, "Simple Notepad," and it's been working pretty good for getting all my tasks together. i'm also looking for an app to manage your diet and how much energy you burn working out if anyone knows something like that. i've been reading through this thread quite a bit and someone posted the "convertr" app, for converting time,volume,weight.. awesome. i like useful little apps like this if anyone has more suggestions. also, i was thinking about getting the wolfram alpha app for my schoolwork. does anyone else have it?
so far the only apps i have are:
twitter, simple notepad, soundcloud, ebay, temple run, words with friends (preciselyRANDOM), scramble with friends (dankGOO)
thanks in advance for suggestions, i'm gunna download the SA app and keep browsing this thread from my couch :)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

illestG posted:

thanks in advance for suggestions, i'm gunna download the SA app and keep browsing this thread from my couch :)

Make sure you get Awful Betamax. The other version is no longer being developed.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

illestG posted:

hey everyone. i just got a galaxy s3 a week ago after having a LG vx9800 for 7 years. it's pretty awesome. i like having a little computer in my pocket instead of a piece of poo poo that turns off every other time you get a text. i finally figured out how to bring up the task manager and remove all the running apps. my dumbass downloaded the "Advanced Task Killer" that pretended to do what i was trying to. basically, i'm just trying to get the most useful apps out there. i was thinking about downloading the beautiful widgets just to customize my phone a bit, but i'm really looking to get funtional apps. i downloaded, "Simple Notepad," and it's been working pretty good for getting all my tasks together. i'm also looking for an app to manage your diet and how much energy you burn working out if anyone knows something like that. i've been reading through this thread quite a bit and someone posted the "convertr" app, for converting time,volume,weight.. awesome. i like useful little apps like this if anyone has more suggestions. also, i was thinking about getting the wolfram alpha app for my schoolwork. does anyone else have it?
so far the only apps i have are:
twitter, simple notepad, soundcloud, ebay, temple run, words with friends (preciselyRANDOM), scramble with friends (dankGOO)

Hey, welcome. First of all, it's pretty important that you don't use either the built-in Task Manager nor any other like ATK unless something is unresponsive. Android memory management works very well without any user interference, and you closing apps with the task manager will potentially reduce your battery life.

Second, download something like Swiftkey or Swype. The default Samsung keyboard is pretty bad.

For a calorie tracker, MyFitnessPal works well.

For exercise trackers, it depends on the exercise. Jefit is good for weightlifters, Runkeeper, MyTracks, and a personal favorite Zombies, Run! are all apps that use the phone's internal GPS to track your route if you run, hike or bike. You can also use Strava if you are a more competitive cyclist.

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

Geektox posted:

Hey, welcome. First of all, it's pretty important that you don't use either the built-in Task Manager nor any other like ATK unless something is unresponsive. Android memory management works very well without any user interference, and you closing apps with the task manager will potentially reduce your battery life.

Second, download something like Swiftkey or Swype. The default Samsung keyboard is pretty bad.

For a calorie tracker, MyFitnessPal works well.

For exercise trackers, it depends on the exercise. Jefit is good for weightlifters, Runkeeper, MyTracks, and a personal favorite Zombies, Run! are all apps that use the phone's internal GPS to track your route if you run, hike or bike. You can also use Strava if you are a more competitive cyclist.

oh, wow. i didn't realize it worked that way. here i was, trying to optimize my phones performance and i was actually hindering it. thanks for the tip! also, thanks for the very helpful post. i'm downloading the MyFitnessPal now, and i'm going to check out Jefit. i also saw that Strava app last night while looking through the play store.. that should be pretty fun this spring for tracking bike trips. thanks again for the great post. take it easy!

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Is there a 'reverse' tethering app?
Say I have a computer with hard-wire network access and want to tether that network access to my phone over USB if no WiFi hotspot is available.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Meta Ridley posted:

Say I have a computer with hard-wire network access and want to tether that network access to my phone over USB if no WiFi hotspot is available.
Never tried it but there's this thing:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.littlelan.ReverseTether.Paid
Has a free trial version too.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Meta Ridley posted:

Can't you just turn on Internet Connection Sharing on your computer?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Frozen-Solid posted:

Last I checked it won't share to USB. He'd have to buy a Wifi-dongle and share out over that.

But if "computer with hard-wire network access" means a work PC, you should always check with IT before doing any internet sharing if you don't want your rear end kicked.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Frozen-Solid posted:

This. You can also share an internet connection over bluetooth, if your laptop has bluetooth (and assuming the phone supports that profile).

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Zero VGS posted:

But if "computer with hard-wire network access" means a work PC, you should always check with IT before doing any internet sharing if you don't want your rear end kicked.

Yeah it is actually, guess at work I use work terminology. It is fine though. I just get no data reception in my work's building (drat Virgin Mobile).

Bluetooth ICS should work, completely forgot about that.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Meta Ridley posted:

What is the best way/app to view power input from USB?
Basically I have a whole bunch of car chargers at this point and I want to see which actually charge at 5V x 800mA (or higher to 950mA). I know some cheap chargers will actually end up causing the phone to charge at "USB Computer" rate, 100mA, which isn't enough to even cover active power drain if it is in heavy use with GPS/data and all that.

If it matters I have an Optimus Elite with some custom Android 2.3.7 rom.

Battery Monitor Wideget is my favorite but there are bunches.

USB standard chargers should go up to 500ma though. Battery monitor widget shows current going in to the battery so if it says +350ma and its a 500ma charger you should figure the phone itself is using 150ma of the charger.

Also if you really want to see what current the charger puts out you'll need to have your batt drained below 65-60%ish. Higher % charge than that and they start slowing the charge rate.

edit: and this was pointed out to me in the rooted thread, if your kernel supports it you should be able to charge at up to 1A from an apple standard charger or any other charger capable of >500ma that lacks the normal android "hey I'm a 1a charger" signal/pins crossed like an apple one lacks. I had an old rom i used to run that had this on by default but my new one doesn't and was suggested an app "fast charge" from the play store to enable. It didn't work for me since I guess my kernel doesn't support it at all but you may want to try.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 3, 2012

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand

Geektox posted:

My Samsung keyboard has Swype built into it. Strange.

explosivo posted:

I just ordered some NFC tags off of Amazon, what's my best option for getting the most out of them? NFC Task Launcher + Tasker?

What ROM are you running? CM10 has a neat built-in profile switcher that is absolutely a breeze to set up for use with NFC.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

ColdCock posted:

Sort of. It has that capability (as does the 4.2 keyboard now), but it's nowhere near as good as Swype.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

ColdCock posted:

At least with Sprint, and the one I got, the default keyboard has Swype like capabilities but isn't Swype. However, Swype was installed, and just had to be turned on. Which is good, because the default Samsung keyboard just didn't work right for me (I was never able to get the word "now" to work).

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
How does Falcon Pro measure up to Plume as far as a Twitter app?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ColdCock posted:

What ROM are you running? CM10 has a neat built-in profile switcher that is absolutely a breeze to set up for use with NFC.

If you're running a Nexus device with 4.2, swiping functionality is built into the keyboard. It's not as good as swype though and has a way to go still.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

illestG, if you don't have it already, AirDroid is a must-have App.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

BoyBlunder posted:

How does Falcon Pro measure up to Plume as far as a Twitter app?

It's not as feature rich but I like how it looks enough that I switched.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

What do you all like to use for photographing documents & converting to PDF? Especially nice if it talks to Evernote, alternatively I could live with it if it used Dropbox too.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
OK, file managers:

I've been using EStrong's forever and it does everything exactly the way I like it. Particular favorites are:
  • Integrated text editor (I don't use anything else)
  • Integrated image browser, video player
  • Integrated folder-based music player

However, my one complaint is that the UI hasn't changed since Android 2.x and it's looking quite dated. Recently I poked at the CM File Manager and while it's not nearly as featured, I like that it uses the Holo theme.

Is there anything on the market (so I can use it on stock ROM too) that's a mix of the both? Or should I just stick with EStrong's?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
RE: Using Falcon Pro as a twitter client over plume

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It's not as feature rich but I like how it looks enough that I switched.

I also switched to this when someone posted about it a few pages back, even though the feature set is limited compared to plume, it is cleaner and more simple in my opinion.

e: context + english

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is there anything on the market (so I can use it on stock ROM too) that's a mix of the both? Or should I just stick with EStrong's?

Integrated sftp, smb, box/drive/dropbox/skydrive/etc that you can swipe over to and do just regular copy/paste between has kept my eyes from straying.

And ES does have themes, at least I think. It came up themed after an update once until I reverted it back to the old look. Maybe there's a holo theme.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

OK, file managers:

I've been using EStrong's forever and it does everything exactly the way I like it. Particular favorites are:

However, my one complaint is that the UI hasn't changed since Android 2.x and it's looking quite dated. Recently I poked at the CM File Manager and while it's not nearly as featured, I like that it uses the Holo theme.

Try SolidExplorer. I'm using Cyanogenmod's built in file manager, though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The good:

Market gmail has been updated to 4.2 version

The bad:

They still didn't fix the bug in the swipe to Archive/Delete. Swiping left DOES Archive and Swiping right DOES delete, but it says that you "Archived" a mail when you deleted it.

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog
I've picked up some NFC tags and having a bit of trouble setting up a particular action. I have some Bluetooth speakers that I want to use with my N7 or my GS3. I can easily setup a tag to turn on Bluetooth, but I'm having a problem with being able to specify the device I want to connect to. I can even turn on discoverability but that would require me pressing the pair button on the speakers to connect.

Also, if my screenshot attached OK, I seem to have lost the ability to pick an action by default - scanning a tag pops up the choose program dialogue with no option to set as default.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

OK, file managers:

Like Gyshall I'd recommend Solid Explorer as it has all the features ES does but I never stick with it. It's gotten much better since the last time I tried it though. The ES guy said he was going to update the UI but I haven't heard anything about that in months.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

dirtyfrog posted:

I've picked up some NFC tags and having a bit of trouble setting up a particular action. I have some Bluetooth speakers that I want to use with my N7 or my GS3. I can easily setup a tag to turn on Bluetooth, but I'm having a problem with being able to specify the device I want to connect to. I can even turn on discoverability but that would require me pressing the pair button on the speakers to connect.

Also, if my screenshot attached OK, I seem to have lost the ability to pick an action by default - scanning a tag pops up the choose program dialogue with no option to set as default.

What app(s) are you using for NFC? And what clock/weather widget is that?

Kamakaze9
Jun 11, 2005
Hey you guys!!
Fairly certain he's running minimalistic text for the clock/weather. Anyone know of a way to create an invisible toggle switch for bluetooth?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

dirtyfrog posted:

those ARE some sick widGETS

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog

FISHMANPET posted:

What app(s) are you using for NFC? And what clock/weather widget is that?

I'd installed a few different NFC apps, but stripped it down to just using automate it pro. Got it all working now, set a rule that executes a separate app - BT Auto Connect - then opens up Google Music.

Yes, minimalistic text for the time/ weather

Any ideas on where my 'set by default' option has gone?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

dirtyfrog posted:

I'd installed a few different NFC apps, but stripped it down to just using automate it pro. Got it all working now, set a rule that executes a separate app - BT Auto Connect - then opens up Google Music.

None. Have you tried clearing defaults for both those apps?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

dirtyfrog posted:

There are certain things that prompt for an application every time, like adding a picture into instagram. I'm not sure why this happens.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

The good:

Market gmail has been updated to 4.2 version

The bad:

They still didn't fix the bug in the swipe to Archive/Delete. Swiping left DOES Archive and Swiping right DOES delete, but it says that you "Archived" a mail when you deleted it.

Is the fit-to-screen/zoom new in this version? loving finally. :swoon:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

sirbeefalot posted:

Is the fit-to-screen/zoom new in this version? loving finally. :swoon:

Supposedly, but I couldn't get emails to zoom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

hooah posted:

Supposedly, but I couldn't get emails to zoom.

You need to go into the "General Settings" screen in Gmail, and check the "Auto-fit Messages" box. Otherwise it does not zoom by default.

• Locked thread