Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

You know, I have a friend with a cutter and a white bike with no decals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Wootcannon posted:

The thing I was also gonna ask is in relation to that guys comment. He'd been behind me earlier, and I'd got completely spatially disorientated. I was on a dual carriageway and couldn't keep track of the cats eyes or really see what lane I was in, the red and green cats eyes seemingly appeared out of nowhere, looking back I must have been weaving quite badly, and after I'd got off the carriageway, I was still having to slow down quite a bit when people came by with full beams because I'd get completely disorientated.

That sounds... incredibly dangerous. :stare: Were you tired? Do you suffer from night blindness?

About the diesel, yes it is more dirty in between car tracks but riding in the tracks themselves is not a panacea to diesel problems. When you are in the middle of having an accident the rule of thumb is to try and adjust inputs as little as possible; don't brake suddenly, shut off the gas, or start crying uncontrollably. Locking up means you've put too much brake and you need to ease of a little, and aim for where you want to go. Whether you have the wherewithal to actually modulate the rear is another thing entirely because fear tenses up the body like woah and you don't have the luxury of a few seconds to contemplate about it.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
I don't, and yeah it probably was. The contributing factor was that it wasn't lit and had no cars on it, so it was pitch black and windy, but on the plus side I didn't weave into traffic! Also managed to skid at a red light twice this morning on a five minute drive, so I think it may be time to book more lessons now that I've caught myself driving like an over-confident idiot.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Key to winter riding is basically slow down in advance. There are no medals for sliding down the road and more diesel slicks, rain cold and reduced visibility mean your grip is dramatically reduced. Basically wobble along slowly like Steve Berry. Embrace your inner numpty.

As for little skids, it's not abnormal in the cold. You tend to have rippling and surface contamination near stop lights for one thing.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

Saga posted:

Key to winter riding is basically slow down in advance. There are no medals for sliding down the road and more diesel slicks, rain cold and reduced visibility mean your grip is dramatically reduced. Basically wobble along slowly like Steve Berry. Embrace your inner numpty.

As for little skids, it's not abnormal in the cold. You tend to have rippling and surface contamination near stop lights for one thing.

Inner numpty is good, but I had to google Steve Berry. Ah that's alright then, I have only had two in Glasgow, and given there seems to be a new sprinkling of staggered lights every 100 metres that's probably less than 1% of stops.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Come early this last October, on a beautiful Saturday afternoon I was out riding my still like new (just hit 5000 miles after 2 months) KTM GC8. Had a great ride since all my plans for that day feel through and just rode. We'll just 1/4 mile from home I am cautiously coming down the final stretch before the main road to our lane, a little deer appears out of nowhere running from left to right at full speed. I am doing close to the speed limit of 35 and first reaction I remember making is getting on the breaks, and trying to veer left to go behind it. What I remember next was that the little turd adjust away from me like it was now running from my headlight so it kept his course right in the way of mine still, not slow enough I turn back and it does the same again right before I make impact which was enough to turn the hard breaking into an endo. I remember clearly cursing at the thing as I want over, landed on my shoulder, got up and hobbled off the road. Lucky for me a neighbor saw the whole thing and was already on the phone to get help. Didn't hit my head or anything but I was pretty scraped up since it was the one day of perfect weather that I go out without my riding jacket.. never again.

On cell right now so I'll get pics later, but the bike is totaled (though fixable since the frame isn't bent. mostly plastics and a few replaceable metal bits.) I came out with a stage 3 AC tear on my right shoulder and just a small fracture on my left foot from breaking of the clip on with my foot. A few abrasions and some road rash but I came out darn lucky. Healing up and already got a buyer for the remains of the RC8 and a new ride to ride me over till I get back on a bigger house. I will miss the beast and the short time I got to ride it, but at my current riding skill,I could never give it the riding style it really wanted around here. Maybe someday...

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Wootcannon posted:

Inner numpty is good, but I had to google Steve Berry. Ah that's alright then, I have only had two in Glasgow, and given there seems to be a new sprinkling of staggered lights every 100 metres that's probably less than 1% of stops.

Steve Berry used to do the bike segments for old-look Top Gear. He would appear wobbling in a mostly straight line at about 5mph like a slow-motion version of mootmoot.

At one point he also decided to publicly lay into British bike journalism for liking sportsbikes, showing he had his finger firmly on the pulse of geriatric Volvo drivers everywhere and increasing the embarrassment he had already caused to British biking by a factor of exactly five.

I can't think of a Scottish equivalent. You do have Ian Duffus who is sort of like Steve Berry if Steve Berry could actually ride a motorcycle.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

EdEddnEddy posted:

I was pretty scraped up since it was the one day of perfect weather that I go out without my riding jacket.. never again.

Im glad you learned this. I never ride without full gear. Im too scared.

Also gently caress deer.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

EdEddnEddy posted:

I was pretty scraped up since it was the one day of perfect weather that I go out without my riding jacket.. never again.

I think this about my overpants every now and again. "Do I really need these? I don't want to end up like Wes Siler."

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I used to skip the overpants from time to time when I had a pair that was like normal pants. Now I have a pair that has zippers up 3/4s of the leg so you can put them on and take them off with boots on. I really have no excuse for not wearing them now and because of that I wear them.

Now I always get gear that is easy to wear.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I've got the same, but it's an extra step. I look forward to finally getting a one piece suit -- it'll be quicker, and less fuss.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Took down a buck with my 990ADV this morning on a 70mph country road, I'd say I impacted about 50 and did the superman over the bars. Full gear did its job, I am walking around with bruises and minor road rash instead of hospitalized and unconscious.

Wear full gear.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Took down a buck with my 990ADV this morning on a 70mph country road, I'd say I impacted about 50 and did the superman over the bars. Full gear did its job, I am walking around with bruises and minor road rash instead of hospitalized and unconscious.

Wear full gear.

Hook us up with some venison steaks? :staredog:

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Or at least pictures of mangled moto meat.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
How did the 990 do?

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Not only did I let the venison go to waste out there, but there wasn't even any mangled meat aside from my road rash! As you can probably tell, I hit him in the hind quarters, which spun him around and gave him a spinal alignment that was out of tolerance, so he died:

The 990 did amazingly great. In fact, so did my riding gear. I really could not have asked for a less intense result out of an accident of this magnitude; I'm really sore, but ten x-rays and some ultrasounds confirmed that nothing is broken or bleeding inside. Again I want to remind everyone to wear full riding gear. My low amount of injuries and damage are nothing short of a best case scenario.

Here's what I was wearing: Shoei RF1100, Teknik Chicane jacket, Firstgear ballistic nylon/cordura padded overpants (on top of my workout pants), Sidi boots and Joe Rocket gauntlet gloves. Not pictured is the Icon orange reflective vest I wore over the jacket, which took some asphalt wear from the slide.

The first thing I'd like every dude in the audience to note is that if I had been wearing pants of any less abrasion resistance I would have a rashy, mangled dick. I slid on my front, and among the several areas of the pants that wore all the way through, the worst was the crotch. It's completely shredded through every layer, the zipper metal wore against the asphalt which separated the two sides as there was enough slack for the little buckle to come undone. My one road rash site is on my left hip, and was caused because the pants slipped down after the zipper came undone.

You can also see that the palms of the gloves took some damage but held up well. I don't think I slid much on my palms, but I was making a distinct effort to crawl to the side of the road while I was still sliding as all I could think of was the fact that there were cars behind me and it was before sunrise.

My jacket has some scuffing and shallow scars on the left sleeve and left elbow from when I first landed on my shoulder/arm after going over the bars, but it looks almost perfect otherwise. My left elbow has a 1-2" blood spot from rubbing itself against the inside of the jacket, but there was no penetration of the leather. The boots got some scuffing but did their job perfectly. My helmet does not have a single scratch or dent, but I will replace it just in case since it's already about 3 years old.

Blanca took this incident like a loving champ. I haven't gotten the insurance estimate yet, but if it's totaled it will likely be due to the cost of replacing cosmetically damaged items, though there is always the possibility of frame damage in there.

She impacted the deer with the front tire then went down on the left side. During the initial impact, the deer poo poo all over the front of my forks, tanks, and radiator:

I'm pretty sure I cleared the rally windshield only because the bike was going down left and my inertia carried me straight past the right hand side of it. Here you can see that the bars are turned slightly left but the wheel is tweaked slightly right, I don't know if this is just because components have rotated in their mounts or the forks are actually bent. Also note how much closer the left side crashbar is to its tank than the right:

From the back you can see how much closer to center the left muffler is than the right now. Also the bark busters which rotated downward and allowed the clutch lever to snap at its break point.

These Hepco Becker crash bars were such a PITA to install, had such poor instructions and stock fitment, and added so much weight to the steering feel of the bike that I nearly stopped using them. As you can see they worked as intended, soaking up a lot of road rash for the left side of the bike. With the spacing provided by the crash bars, the bike also slid on the rear passenger left footpeg and left muffler. The footpeg mount is basically melted into a new shape and the peg won't rotate down anymore.

The crash bars primarily protect the bottoms of the fuel tanks, so the upper fairing got a little scuffing and rash too.

I have to thank Becktastic, the CA Patron Saint of Moto Crashes, for smiling over my bike and preventing more damage from occuring:

Once all of the hospital time was done and I checked out okay, I went back to the scene and claimed a trophy for my fallen lady:

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Thank goodness it turned out so well! An impact at that speed could have been much, much worse.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Glad you're ok! A bit of luck and good gear saving the day again :)

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Great to hear you made it out without missing/broken body parts! Also, this is about the 8th time I've seen a collision with a deer where the deer poo poo all over the colliding vehicle.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
If I had to guess I'd say that people probably poo poo themselves when they get hit by cars too.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Bike Gear Thread: Wear gear or suffer a rashy, mangled dick

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
I always curl up in a protective ball around my dick in the case of crashes, but it's not always possible to get full coverage with just my limbs and torso.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I have to thank Becktastic, the CA Patron Saint of Moto Crashes, for smiling over my bike and preventing more damage from occuring:
Does she have a freakishly long ring finger as a result of her own crash?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Once all of the hospital time was done and I checked out okay, I went back to the scene and claimed a trophy for my fallen lady:

I was about to post that, not going back and claiming at least one antler as a victory trophy would be a shame. If you end up getting a new fairing, you should have the antlers mounted to the rashed one and hang it on your wall.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Or just mount them and ride as-is, christening it the "jankelope."

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Does she have a freakishly long ring finger as a result of her own crash?

Yeah what the heck is going on there?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Yeah what the heck is going on there?

Becks, phone home!

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
Hey all! No, my ring finger isn't freakishly deformed from my accident. :P It just looks weird there because I am doing physical therapy, holding a couple hammers and tipping them side to side to work on flexibility. I had a second surgery November 1st to remove my metal and scar tissue that built up between my forearm bones and my arm is feeling and moving a million times better. It was definitely a good decision for me. I had so much scar tissue before that I could barely twist my wrist and the metal ached constantly and I was always banging it on stuff. Plus I had two huge scars from the first surgery. I saw a different (and much better) surgeon for the second surgery and he basically fixed everything the first guy messed up. He even cut out the old scars and resealed the wounds cleaner, so my scars look better after one month of healing than the last ones did after almost a year. It is also back to nearly full range of motion now, when it only had about 20% ROM before, after months of physical therapy. Good surgeons make all the difference! If you live in CO and break your poo poo, go see Dr. In Sok Yi (I actually flew back to see him because he was so much better than anyone I could find in Austin, Tucson or San Diego.(I've been roaming around a lot))

The only lovely part about having the second surgery is that I now have 15 large holes where screws used to be, making my forearm bones resemble swiss cheese and so I am under strict orders not to ride or do anything else fun where I might be at risk of falling on my hand for the next month or so.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
I think it's nice of Ambihelical Hexnut to let you live in the garage. Do you have your own hook?

Great news about your arm. 20% sounds awful. :stare:

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Saga posted:

I think it's nice of Ambihelical Hexnut to let you live in the garage. Do you have your own hook?

Great news about your arm. 20% sounds awful. :stare:

I don't understand the hook question, but I keep visualizing a large metal hook a la Peter Pan...in which case no, I am happy to report they were able to restore my hand without resorting to such archaic technology.

20% is bad...and that was after months of 'Aggressive Physical Therapy' (AKA Torture) to try and break up the scar tissue. It was only that bad for that one twisting motion though, flexing forward, backward and side to side were pretty good. I did realize how little you use that twisting motion too. Mostly it's just for gestures, so instead of waving I karate chopped at people and in order to hold a tray like a waitress, I would have to swivel my elbow in front of my face. I was able to ride, drive and go rock climbing without really noticing.

It's still nice having that motion back now, but the reduction in pain was the biggest bonus. I didn't realize how depressed the pain was making me until it was gone and suddenly I was feeling much happier much more often.

I probably would have talked myself out of the second surgery, except it was much less expensive for me to do it this year than if I waited and decided I needed it later (I have a $5k annual deductible which I had obviously already met). Surgery blows and it knocked me on my rear end the first time, but the removal was so much better. I only spent a few days in bed on pain killers and then it was basically life as usual.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I hope you snagged that buck for meat. That'd be some good eatin'

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Becktastic posted:

Good surgeons make all the difference! If you live in CO and break your poo poo, go see Dr. In Sok Yi (I actually flew back to see him because he was so much better than anyone I could find in Austin, Tucson or San Diego.(I've been roaming around a lot))

Can't agree with you more about getting a good surgeon. I've had 3 ACL surgeries on my right knee and I *just* had shoulder surgery 2 months ago. Coincidentally I'm in San Diego and I have a great ortho surgeon if you're ever here again and need it :) Dr. Kevin Owsley, he worked with the Lakers and Dodgers I think too. It's really important if you're active to get a surgeon who specializes in sports medicine and works with active people.

He fixed my knee after the first guy botched it and I went back to him for my shoulder. He rides dirt bikes too. After my knee was fixed I was back to playing basketball and soccer and tennis and riding at 100%.

Right now I'm still recovering from the shoulder and it's scary how depressed and lovely I feel when I can't be as active as I'm used to. :(

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Wear full gear.

Welcome to the "I hit a deer and walked away" club. I loving hate those damned animals, glad you're alive and OK.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

aventari posted:

Can't agree with you more about getting a good surgeon. I've had 3 ACL surgeries on my right knee and I *just* had shoulder surgery 2 months ago. Coincidentally I'm in San Diego and I have a great ortho surgeon if you're ever here again and need it :) Dr. Kevin Owsley, he worked with the Lakers and Dodgers I think too. It's really important if you're active to get a surgeon who specializes in sports medicine and works with active people.

He fixed my knee after the first guy botched it and I went back to him for my shoulder. He rides dirt bikes too. After my knee was fixed I was back to playing basketball and soccer and tennis and riding at 100%.

Right now I'm still recovering from the shoulder and it's scary how depressed and lovely I feel when I can't be as active as I'm used to. :(

While I hope I don't require an Ortho doc again anytime soon, I'm driving back to San Diego this weekend and staying with friends there for the foreseeable future. (You don't happen to have any leads on jobs do ya?) A doc who rides would be awesome! All my doctors look at me like I'm crazy when I say I bought another bike, it would be nice to have a doctor who gets it.

Yeah the 'not being able to be active' part is at least as bad as the physical pain part. I had figured out before that skipping my weekend ride had a negative impact on my mood for the whole week, but it wasn't until I had spent months being unable to ride, climb or work out that I realized just how important those things are for my basic mental well being. There were some seriously dark days and it is super scary to feel so unlike yourself. I'm pretty bummed about this 'wait eight weeks to do anything cool' mandate after the second surgery...but trying to keep my eye on the prize by planning a ski trip at the end! :D

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

Becktastic posted:

Yeah the 'not being able to be active' part is at least as bad as the physical pain part.

The physical pain is (to me) only temporary. Sure, some of it may last, but the period that you're unable to partake in usual activities is like salt in the wounds. It's been five months for me, and I was only able to run (slow jog :( ) for 500 metres or so this week.

Mental health is certainly something to be aware about post accidents. I was actually relatively okay for most of this term. I mean, I wasn't readily looking for an out. Heh, not meaning to become all E/N.

It's been said, but even setting small goals and poo poo to achieve. I aimed at having my own transportation, then at being able to actually look relatively normal. I don't actually know who I'm aiming this at, but just set goals that you can achieve.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
It's been a bad fortnight for riders locally; about a week ago we had a quad bike rider kill a seven year old child and very nearly himself (he's still unconscious).

This morning we had an 18 year old rider killed in a collision during the morning commute.

There's a rumor that there was another rider involved and that they were racing. It's entirely possible - judging by the separation of the headstock and what appears to be a chunk of bike still underneath the car, I'm guessing they were over the speed limit (35mph on that road).

My guess (from previous crashes I've witnessed in rush hour) is that the bike was overtaking a car which decided to let the Fiat across the road, leaving him nowhere to go.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Ouch, That doesnt even look like a motorcycle anymore, just a crushed mangled thing.

I once thought it was a bright idea to go around a car turning left, luckily I was doing it slowly and stopped before smashing into the guy turning left from the other lane the car I was attempting to go around was waving to go.

Thats the last time I tried to go around a car. Now I just wait.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Ouch, That doesnt even look like a motorcycle anymore, just a crushed mangled thing.

I once thought it was a bright idea to go around a car turning left, luckily I was doing it slowly and stopped before smashing into the guy turning left from the other lane the car I was attempting to go around was waving to go.

Thats the last time I tried to go around a car. Now I just wait.

I really hate drivers being "nice", and while I'm always looking for what you described, "nice" drivers are always doing stupid poo poo like stopping on greens to let that guy make the left hand turn, or stopping when we have no stop sign to let that lady go through the intersection. Meanwhile I just think they are indecisive or want go get a parking spot or something and my instinct is to swerve.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Raven457 posted:

Welcome to the "I hit a deer and walked away" club. I loving hate those damned animals, glad you're alive and OK.

M42 posted:

Great to hear you made it out without missing/broken body parts! Also, this is about the 8th time I've seen a collision with a deer where the deer poo poo all over the colliding vehicle.

Z3n posted:

Glad you're ok! A bit of luck and good gear saving the day again :)

Day Man posted:

Thank goodness it turned out so well! An impact at that speed could have been much, much worse.

Thanks doods. I feel very lucky that it worked out so well. My bruises will heal, the people who care about me surrounded me with happiness throughout the scary contemplative times following the accident, and the insurance lady just mailed me a big check for doing my own repairs *cough*upgrades*cough*. I'm pretty surprised she's not totaled given the cost of OEM parts from Austria, eg: left side muffler, can only, is $1055. I just ripped all the plastics off and there is no apparent frame damage, but I am going to have a shop check out the frame and forks this weekend before I put her back on the road.

It was kind of funny; this accident lined up perfectly with my plan to perform my 10k service, though since I've lost a week of riding I'll be several hundred miles short. Still going ahead with the valve job while I have the bike apart for repairs. A bunch of oil dumped its rear end out of the PCV when the bike was laying on its side for an extended period, so I guess I should clean that up too.

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Or just mount them and ride as-is, christening it the "jankelope."

I am strongly considering this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Not really a crash but this happened last weekend and I managed to have the GoPro running; there is absolutely zero damage other than scratches on the frame slider and rear spool. Derp. loving. Derp. :v: Oh well, first drop on the new bike out of the way. :lol:
https://vimeo.com/55007624

• Locked thread