Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

kitten smoothie posted:

You need to go into the "General Settings" screen in Gmail, and check the "Auto-fit Messages" box. Otherwise it does not zoom by default.

Oh, right. I'd forgotten that someone with a Nexus 4 posted that earlier. Seems like a strange thing to default to off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teflon Bob
Feb 2, 2004

Wipes down easy!

hooah posted:

Oh, right. I'd forgotten that someone with a Nexus 4 posted that earlier. Seems like a strange thing to default to off.

It might be some way to bypass a patent concern. Who knows.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Has anyone heard of or does anyone think we'll get another 10 apps, $.10 for 10 days December sale this year?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You seriously cannot win with the Facebook app. Way back when, the problem was no notifications. Now, there's too many.

Once a day, every day, for the past week or so I've been getting an "empty" notification. It just says Facebook and brings me to my feed. This happens on all my devices and it usually happens after midnight.

I don't understand what it is notifying me of or how to turn it off. I really don't want to turn off all notifications, but spammy notifications REALLY rub me the wrong way.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

hooah posted:

Supposedly, but I couldn't get emails to zoom.

The way the changelog describes it, it might only work on 4.0+ devices?

If you're not running ICS or later, maybe that's your problem?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

kitten smoothie posted:

You need to go into the "General Settings" screen in Gmail, and check the "Auto-fit Messages" box. Otherwise it does not zoom by default.

Thanks for this, I was wondering why it wasn't working on my phone.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Any ideas as to why the Google Music Player randomly causes my phone to crash/restart? Not much more detail then that. It works fine for a while, then phone restarts.

Last time it did this I was working out with the phone plugged into the stereo (not headphones) just sitting there. It played fine for about 30 minutes the same just restarted.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

bull3964 posted:

You seriously cannot win with the Facebook app. Way back when, the problem was no notifications. Now, there's too many.

Once a day, every day, for the past week or so I've been getting an "empty" notification. It just says Facebook and brings me to my feed. This happens on all my devices and it usually happens after midnight.

I don't understand what it is notifying me of or how to turn it off. I really don't want to turn off all notifications, but spammy notifications REALLY rub me the wrong way.

I meant to ask if other people were getting this or if my phone was screwed up. I don't understand what is causing this blank notification but it's pretty annoying.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I'm getting that empty notification, too! Weird.

edit: Just switched to Friendcaster. Seems decent so far.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 4, 2012

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is there a mail client out there that deals with Exchange better than the stock email app? Flagging messages for followup and working with calendar requests are both clunky in the stock mail app.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The new Beautiful Widgets update is, well, beautiful. New version of the best live wallpaper too!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/12/04/facebook-messenger-no-longer-requires-a-facebook-account-so-i-guess-its-a-regular-sms-app-now-too/

The Facebook Messenger app is now basically a text messaging app.

Huh.

You don't need to sign in to use it anymore. This still most likely won't make me use it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Getting ready to start using the phone in the truck more, and I'm wondering what most people use for a hands-free virtual assistant. I've seen the majority of users use either EVA/AVX, Vlingo, or Voice Actions. For those of you who've used them, what would you recommend?

And huh..first time I've noticed the new Quote/Reply buttons on SA.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/12/04/facebook-messenger-no-longer-requires-a-facebook-account-so-i-guess-its-a-regular-sms-app-now-too/

Huh.

You don't need to sign in to use it anymore. This still most likely won't make me use it.

It's not worldwide yet.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57556998-93/facebook-android-messenger-only-needs-name-phone-number/

"Android users in India, Indonesia, Australia, Venezuela, and South Africa, with other countries following shortly after."

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Boywunda posted:

Has anyone heard of or does anyone think we'll get another 10 apps, $.10 for 10 days December sale this year?
There may well be another holiday sale, but 10¢ was probably too little for them to do that again. Subsequent sales have been 25¢, 99¢, etc.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

LastInLine posted:

The new Beautiful Widgets update is, well, beautiful. New version of the best live wallpaper too!

I've been using BW since day 1 and this is the best update I think they've done. Everything looks great and works smooth. Meanwhile the first review of it on the Play Store right now is someone crying that it looks UGLY now. Uh, whatever chief.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Require More Fire posted:

I've been using BW since day 1 and this is the best update I think they've done. Everything looks great and works smooth. Meanwhile the first review of it on the Play Store right now is someone crying that it looks UGLY now. Uh, whatever chief.
I'm having two minor issues. One, the good live wallpaper crashes the Live Wallpaper Picker if I try to access the settings but that could be a CM10 thing. Two, there's no way to see a temperature/precipitation chart over time in the forecast screen (which in itself looks wonderful otherwise).

I can't believe how nice the UI is though since it was such a clusterfuck before. I'm using Zooper for my homescreen widget now (I guess three years of BW gets old) but it looks like the old girl has life left in her after all.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

LastInLine posted:

I'm having two minor issues. One, the good live wallpaper crashes the Live Wallpaper Picker if I try to access the settings but that could be a CM10 thing. Two, there's no way to see a temperature/precipitation chart over time in the forecast screen (which in itself looks wonderful otherwise).

I can't believe how nice the UI is though since it was such a clusterfuck before. I'm using Zooper for my homescreen widget now (I guess three years of BW gets old) but it looks like the old girl has life left in her after all.

I'm having the same LWP crash on CM9 so may be CM in general, may be the app.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I can't access the live wallpaper either on my MAXX HD. It crashes out. I sent a report in so hopefully they'll figure out what they need to do to fix it.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Require More Fire posted:

I'm having the same LWP crash on CM9 so may be CM in general, may be the app.

The LWP on my Note 2 (cleanROM) loads and works, but when you press "Settings" it complains that the app isn't installed. Beautiful Widgets is indeed installed and up to date.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

ThermoPhysical posted:

Huh.

I don't get from the article, don't have a FB and it's blocked here at work, Is this something completely separate of your carrier's sms service, only needing a data connection like gtalk or skype? Or does it work comepletely over sms? Or is it 3rd option, like imessage, use carrier sms sometimes use 3rd party servers others?

I'm confused more with the mentions of whatsapp and handcent, I've not used either of those but I thought whatsapp was a standalone service like skype or msn messenger, and I thought handcent was just a replacement sms app like Gosms.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 4, 2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Holy crap this owns.

LWP crash happens on stock 4.2.1 as well. Not a CM thing.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
The Facebook messenger app is awesome. Me and my friends use it to cross platform group chat all the time.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Anyone else see the new video (presumably leaked) of Swiftkey Flow? I'm on my phone and don't have a link, but they're including a smart space key feature so you can simply swipe to the space bar then onto the next word without stopping, so, in theory, you could swipe an entire sentence without ever lifting your finger

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

XIII posted:

Anyone else see the new video (presumably leaked) of Swiftkey Flow? I'm on my phone and don't have a link, but they're including a smart space key feature so you can simply swipe to the space bar then onto the next word without stopping, so, in theory, you could swipe an entire sentence without ever lifting your finger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA4BqwNGSoc

It's not a leaked video, Swiftkey uploaded it themselves.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skeezy posted:

I can't wait for this.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Skeezy posted:

Thanks for the link. I had just heard that it wasn't supposed to be a public video, at least yet, so that's why I thought it was leaked. I'm so loving ready for Flow.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Wow, that is really cool. I was thinking Flow was already dead with the 4.2 swipey keyboard, but not having to lift a finger is pretty rad.

Will buy on day one.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

When I first saw that video and the "Try it Now" bit came up I got really excited but unfortunately it's just a link for the signup page.

Got an email from them like 2 days ago saying that the beta is coming up soon though.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

It got rid of the Beautiful Home Weather widget. Now I can't use my favorite skin (Curved). What the gently caress. How do I downgrade back to the last version?

rndm
Aug 31, 2001

:dukedog:

Skeezy posted:

I blew my load. :wow:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The new Beautiful Widget update sucks, it cuts off the top half of the current forecast icon if you use the 4x1 widget. How did they not notice this?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

It got rid of the Beautiful Home Weather widget. Now I can't use my favorite skin (Curved). What the gently caress. How do I downgrade back to the last version?
Use Titanium. If you're not rooted there's no going back.

Whizbang posted:

The new Beautiful Widget update sucks, it cuts off the top half of the current forecast icon if you use the 4x1 widget. How did they not notice this?
Are you using a nonstandard grid size? If so, that will happen and you can just drag to resize. I'm using a 4x1 forecast widget and it works fine.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

Use Titanium. If you're not rooted there's no going back.

Fortunately I am.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Skeezy posted:

This is awesome. I've wanted this in Swype since the first time I started using it.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

Are you using a nonstandard grid size? If so, that will happen and you can just drag to resize. I'm using a 4x1 forecast widget and it works fine.

Nope, regular 5x4 default, never changed it.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
So is there ever going to be one messaging app to rule them all? I was just organizing some crap on my phone and I realized how many loving messengers I have. SMS, Gtalk, Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp...good grief.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Whizbang posted:

Nope, regular 5x4 default, never changed it.

The default is 4x4 which is why you're seeing vertical clipping as the row height is 20% smaller than expected.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

LastInLine posted:

The default is 4x4 which is why you're seeing vertical clipping as the row height is 20% smaller than expected.

I just tried it on a 4x4 grid with the same weather skin that Whiz is using and I got the same thing. Other skins were fine though. May be that specific skin, which is still kind of silly considering it's the #1 skin for BW if you sort by downloads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I'm slightly annoyed at SwiftKey's fragmented approach to keyboards. I'm using SwiftKey 3 right now, and I love it. I know they also have SwiftKey X, although I have no idea how it differs from 3. I'm assuming that SwiftKey Flow is going to be yet another separate purchase once it's released...

I wouldn't mind checking out Flow, but I'll probably stick with 3. I've never been a huge fan of swiping keyboards. I usually end up spending more time correcting mistakes than saving time by swiping. SwiftKey's predictive text engine may be enough to make up for that, though, so we'll see.

I've got to say, though, that I'm super impressed with SwiftKey's voice to text input. I used to think that Google's version was the best, but SwiftKey consistently impresses me with its accuracy, as well as giving me the option to pick different words on ones that it's not 100% sure about. It works really well.

• Locked thread